KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, BlackMoons said:

It would be REALLY REALLY NICE to have a good reason to make bigger probes, or at least a probe with a 0.3~1ton payload instead of like, 0.01tons for every piece of science equipment in existence + 0.2 tons for your goo and science jr.

I think in this case it will also  be usefull to allow it to tweakscale, which would increase it reach, the current one can barely touch the ground from a 2.5m buggy

2 hours ago, BlackMoons said:

On a related note, have you thought of making some resources more rare? Like, Not on certain planets at all, and generally not overlaping as much with other resources you might want?

I agree we need more diversity, but rather then limiting resources, I prefer to make them in such low densities they become next to useless

2 hours ago, BlackMoons said:

the vanilla 'ore' in the game is so boring in that respect since every planet has it and it makes everything.

I fully agree, they make it boring and  worse, anti science.Ore only makes sence a a deep core resource or for asteroids, which both contain a mix of everything

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I agree we need more diversity, but rather then limiting resources, I prefer to make them in such low densities they become next to useless

I fully agree, they make it boring and  worse, anti science.Ore only makes sence a a deep core resource or for asteroids, which both contain a mix of everything

That'd have to be below 1% so they don't even show up as deposits on scansat ideally. also note a lot of people do 1+ year timewarps between transfer windows so even tiny amounts might still be useful.

So basically, 0.001% or less (Trace amounts basically) would have to be used. I can get behind that since basically all planets are made of trace amounts of just about everything.

Edited by BlackMoons

3 hours ago, fenderzilla said:

Are there any plans to combine the solar sail and beamed power for direct beamed propulsion? because that would be incredible.

Yes laser sail functionality is planned

Edited by FreeThinker

Im current working on Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Fusion Reactor, which is partly similar to the Thermal Magnitized Target  Fusion Reactor but rater than heating up a lithium blanket, it heat up plasma directly

ZUxegYh.png

This result in a reactor which Its  a bit jack of all trades, able to do plasma propulsion and relative high efficient electric power as the Plasma Jestream can be converted into power by an MHD

Of course there are also disadvantages which is it does not ave a lithium blanket, cannot be down sides and propellant types are limited,

Edited by FreeThinker

A question before I waste a bunch of time putting a beamed power generator in the liquid nitrogen oceans of Hadrian - do liquids affect convection on radiators? I'm not quite sure if liquids have a temperature value different from the atmosphere, but Hadrian's sealevel temp is 65 vs Gael's 288, which I assume is in kelvin, so it might be worth putting one down there regardless.

--Also sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but I'm just about to leave for a few hours and wanted to pop this question on here real quick.

Edited by TheUnamusedFox

4 hours ago, TheUnamusedFox said:

A question before I waste a bunch of time putting a beamed power generator in the liquid nitrogen oceans of Hadrian - do liquids affect convection on radiators? I'm not quite sure if liquids have a temperature value different from the atmosphere, but Hadrian's sealevel temp is 65 vs Gael's 288, which I assume is in kelvin, so it might be worth putting one down there regardless.

Currently, no, but in the next  release, a part that is splashed will receivs a 10x convection bonus and external temperature of a radiator part is taken into account, which means if its under water, radiator power should be significantly improved if the sea is cold

Edited by FreeThinker

I uploaded an alpha version of the current state of the 1.15 release, it can be downloaded from here .

Changelog:

* Added improved convection for submerged radiators

* Added Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Fusion Reactor

* Added Diamagnetic Antimatter container

* Added Blanket Rectenna Receiver

* Added X-Ray to Beam Generators

* Added Science Dril

* Re balanced cost thermal radiators

* Re-balanced beamed power

* Balance: Reduced minimum Nuclear Engines by 50%, this will also reduce Thermal Electric Power Output by 50%

* Fixed loss of power after docking

* Fixed spamming Universal DrilGui

* Fixed Mass growth for Tweakaled Radiators

* Fixed Exploit staged Thermal Reactor

* Fixed active ad offline fuel usage nuclear engines

* Fixed thrust unbalance with multiple nuclear engines

Edited by FreeThinker

14 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I uploaded an alpha version of the current state of the 1.15 release, it can be downloaded from here .

Changelog:

* Fixed active ad offline fuel usage nuclear engines

* Fixed thrust unbalance with multiple nuclear engines

installed this
thested on the pmk10 and ttnl (after save edit to balance the cores)
works excellently :)

my next Q

how bad is the Ac poising sapuse to be?
i see 1% Ac drops trust to 65% of max
and 2% Ac drops trust to 48% of max
are thus the intended values?

1 hour ago, danielboro said:

my next Q

how bad is the Ac poising sapuse to be?
i see 1% Ac drops trust to 65% of max
and 2% Ac drops trust to 48% of max
are thus the intended values?

Pretty bad, this is an inherent limitation of this kind of reactor. After how much time active running and passive running did it reach 1%?

Edited by FreeThinker

12 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Pretty bad, this is an inherent limitation of this kind of reactor. After how much time active running and passive running did it reach 1%?

~1H at 80% truttel

the test (pmk10) lasted 37 minutes and i got an extra 0.6% more Ac

my TTnL has  ~ 2% and that ship is running at 48% of max 

5 minutes ago, danielboro said:

~1H at 80% truttel

the test (pmk10) lasted 37 minutes and i got an extra 0.6% more Ac

my TTnL has  ~ 2% and that ship is running at 48% of max 

Well that sounds about right. From what I read NERVA would lose 50% power after 30 minutes of  full power. KSP has spoilt players into believing the fuel in the Nuclear Engine last forever. ALthough the total uranium could ttworwticly make it run for days, due to the actinides poisoning it will die much sooner. Aslso take into account that thse have a maximum life time for at most a hour usage

Edited by FreeThinker

Well that sounds about right. From what I read NERVA would lose 50% power after 30 minutes of  full power

is that a permanent thing or are ther things to help get the core back up to 100%?

KSP has spoilt players

it is a game :)

as a reality sim your mod is a marvel

but the closer you make it to reality the harder the game is
that is way KSP and games in general do things less real

think abut adding a line suggesting this limitation to the engeans in the game
the unaware playr (most of them) will not know abut that
cant look in the VAB at the moment to see if ther such a wornning in the description, got a space palyn on the way to space
another 30 real minuts to orbita or 5 game minuts :(

Edited by danielboro

3 hours ago, danielboro said:

think abut adding a line suggesting this limitation to the engeans in the game

the unaware playr (most of them) will not know abut that
cant look in the VAB at the moment to see if ther such a wornning in the description, got a space palyn on the way to space
another 30 real minuts to orbita or 5 game minuts :(

Good point, I sometimes forget that most people don't know how a true solid core reactor is suppose to behave.

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

Good point, I sometimes forget that most people don't know how a true solid core reactor is suppose to behave.

Yes... we  begin to really need a description review for most part in the game. Also the new plasma mtf reactor use the same description as the thermal one... it's becoming really confusional... many many parts have erroneous description in-game.... generators, reactors, beamed power, radiators .... 

Hi, I downloaded the mod from this page and unpacked it into the GameData folder. However, when I open the game, I received a message saying that there was an installation error and the game couldn't find the files needed for proper functioning. The tech tree wasn't complete when I entered the game as well. Can someone help me? I downloaded Interstellar Extended 1.14.15 and my game version is 1.3.0.

Edited by Miproyq
Add on

24 minutes ago, Miproyq said:

Hi, I downloaded the mod from this page and unpacked it into the GameData folder. However, when I open the game, I received a message saying that there was an installation error and the game couldn't find the files needed for Interstellar. Can someone help me? I downloaded Interstellar Extended 1.14.15 and my game version is 1.3.0 

Sound as if you unpacked it in the wrong way. Don't worry it happens with many new players. What you have to take care of is that the folders inside Gamadata folder are placed inside you own Gamedata folder beside the Squad folder. But first, you need to remove the folders you placed at the wrong location. If you can't I would recommend a clean KSP reinstall.

Edited by FreeThinker

40 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Sound as if you unpacked it in the wrong way. Don't worry it happens with many new players. What you have to take care of is that the folders inside Gamadata folder are placed inside you own Gamedata folder beside the Squad folder. But first, you need to remove the folders you placed at the wrong location. If you can't I would recommend a clean KSP reinstall.

Thanks! I put all the folders from the GameData folder(of the zip file) into the GameData folder (of the game) and it got fixed! :)

Hi, guys. I'm having some trouble getting an beamed power relay system working using the extreme UV wavelength and was hoping someone here could point out what is going wrong. I have two transmitters on a low Kerbol orbit, which work great with receivers when I have line of sight. The issue I have is that whenever I select 'Link Receiver for Relay', my dish does not see any transmitters. Switching to receive mode immediately connects to the one transmitter in LOS.

Attached images show relay mode and receive mode.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is this just a bug?

8 hours ago, ClownBot said:

Hi, guys. I'm having some trouble getting an beamed power relay system working using the extreme UV wavelength and was hoping someone here could point out what is going wrong. I have two transmitters on a low Kerbol orbit, which work great with receivers when I have line of sight. The issue I have is that whenever I select 'Link Receiver for Relay', my dish does not see any transmitters. Switching to receive mode immediately connects to the one transmitter in LOS.

Attached images show relay mode and receive mode.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is this just a bug?

"Link for relay" basically is the first step in setting up a relay. Step 2 would require configuring a transmitter (a second dish) by  pressing to "Activate Relay"

A part that is either "linked for relay" or "relaying" will of cource not receive any power for itself, it is diverting all power somewhere else, making it possible to reach location direct links would not be able. Simply putting 2 relay vessels at opposite sides in a high orbit is usually enough to keep it  covered 99.9% of the time.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.