KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

@FreeThinker
my LR PMK10
i think a realty dysfunction after updating to 1.15.2 killed my reactors
i was thinking of using the 24 CANDLE Traveling wave reactors engines i have in it
but i think the waste heat turned them off too (just like the solid core`s) it has 64024 ISP and thrust of  ~0.0001
i dont think this engine has an off option <- possible a bug
dos it?
KSP 1.3.0
KSPI 1.15.2

edit:

second thing
the closed cycle gas core gets turns off do to wasteheat
considering the coolant is the propellant i dont think it suld get hot or turned off do to wasteheat <- another bug?

Edited by danielboro

Inline Inflatable Cryogenic Liquid Fuel Tank missing option to switch fuel types.  (the other inflatable gas tanks work fine)

what I did to get it to work for now on my install is I changed "hasSwitchChooseOption" and "showSwitchButtons" to "true" (they were both set to false in the .cfg part)

Edit: also noticed the "solid hydrogen" option for this part after fixing choosing fuel types lists it as "LH2" still, yet other solid hydrogen containers work properly.

edit2: what happened to the atmospheric scoop?  i don't see it in the vab menu's

Edited by WaYa

Next beta will include a new feature

0MvllOW.png

Positrons, which are cheaper for of antimatter  and easier to produce (with a Free Electron Laser) and offer better thermal performance compared to regular (Anti Proton) Antimatter. An obvious disadvantage of Positrons is they are a lot lighter then regular (anti Protons) Antimatter. Antimatter will from now be regarded as anti protons, which you still can collect in the magneto spheres of planets like you use to. The difference is that in order to convert it into AntiHydrogen you need a combination of both Positrons and (anti protons) Antimatter

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Next beta will include a new feature

0MvllOW.png

Positrons, which are cheaper for of antimatter  and easier to produce (with a Free Electron Laser) and offer better thermal performance compared to regular (Anti Proton) Antimatter. An obvious disadvantage of Positrons is they are a lot lighter that regular (anti Protons) Antimatter. Antimatter will from then on be regarded as anti protons, which you still can collect in the magneto spheres of planets. The difference is that in order to convert it into AntiHydrogen you need a combination of both Positrons and (anti protons) Antimatter

Whoops wrong thread. Reposting it to the support thread.

Sorry!

Edited by Mandella

Uploaded new beta KSPIE 1.16.1.2 which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added Beam Merging , allowing a dish transmitter to relay while transmitting

* Fixed Power management issue are docking (unverified)

* Fixed compiler optimization

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello @FreeThinker,

I've been working on my issue with power drop off on my ground based beamed power reactors.

Items noted:

• On my phased array transmitter, absorbtion percentage and moisture modifier seem to gradually climb over a three hour period, resetting to a lower value at 0:00:00 and 3:00:00 every day. Any idea why?
  • Extra radiators seem to provide a greater differential for hot/cold baths in my thermal generators, resulting in greater power output. I that as intended? (I don't mind coughing up extra kerbucks for more radiators resulting in greater output :) )
  • Reactor thermal power dropped off rapidly over time. (50% reduction in the first month) Is that as intended? Is there something I should or could be doing that I'm not that would keep that from happening?

In years gone by, my usual MO was to deploy a half dozen ground based reactor/transmitters when I started having beamed power available to me. Seeing these reactors are based right at KSP I can easily recover and re-deploy with out loosing much cash. But that doesn't seem to be as intended.

Any thoughts???

Here's a photo essay of what I've been doing:

https://imgur.com/a/qCLz3

(sorry about the link, I've yet to figure out the Imgur imbed button)

Edited by tmbomber
fixed link to album

New Development New fusion modes and Fuel Reactor

lVZ5MKM.png

Notice the Muon Catalised Fusion reactor is powered by Positron instead of power. The Muon Catalised is capable of all fusion modes  and provide superior performance compared to other fusion reactors, the catch is that it cannot do it very long because you will run out of Positrons fast, so don't use it for anything else but short burns.

Notice there are 2 new fusion modes: proton-proton fusion by the Tri alpha fusion reactor and proton-Deuterium by the Muon Catalised fusion reactor. proton-proton is a 6th generation fusion mode which similary like the Sun will fuse Hydrogen into Deuterium and a positron. Although it can keep a space station alive for a very long time, its not very powerful. proton-Deuterium fusion cannot be use in Tri Aplha, but it can in neutron capable reactors like the Magnetic confinement reactor. It comarible with pure Deuterium fusion except it produces it nearly a-neutronic, minising the damage to the reactor.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 10/29/2017 at 2:53 AM, raxo2222 said:

see screenshots - I posted them for reason.

How about an explanation of what you were trying to do and what you were seeing?
In your first two pics the only difference I see between the things you could adjust is the electric priority.
(set to 4 in the first, giving reasonable source temperatures, and 3 in the second, giving an astronomical value.)

What did you do between the two pictures? 
Was is showing what we see in the first pic, then change to the second when you changed electric priority?
Did it change on it's own.
Did you exit the VAB/game/reboot system between the two pictures?

Pictures alone are not sufficient information.

20 minutes ago, tmbomber said:

How about an explanation of what you were trying to do and what you were seeing?
In your first two pics the only difference I see between the things you could adjust is the electric priority.
(set to 4 in the first, giving reasonable source temperatures, and 3 in the second, giving an astronomical value.)

What did you do between the two pictures? 
Was is showing what we see in the first pic, then change to the second when you changed electric priority?
Did it change on it's own.
Did you exit the VAB/game/reboot system between the two pictures?

Pictures alone are not sufficient information.

>.>

Notice Total Heat Production in Interstellar Thermal mechanics Helper how it says total produced heat is 4.5 MW.

And notice Power Output line on parts tooltip how it says max power production is 4500 MJ.

I thought this is extremely obvious >.>

I guess next time I need to crop screenshots to show bug and nothing else....

Other pics shows same Thermal Helper display bug with different reactors.

Edited by raxo2222

On 10/27/2017 at 12:37 AM, tmbomber said:

Items noted:

• On my phased array transmitter, absorbtion percentage and moisture modifier seem to gradually climb over a three hour period, resetting to a lower value at 0:00:00 and 3:00:00 every day. Any idea why?
  • Extra radiators seem to provide a greater differential for hot/cold baths in my thermal generators, resulting in greater power output. I that as intended? (I don't mind coughing up extra kerbucks for more radiators resulting in greater output :) )
  • Reactor thermal power dropped off rapidly over time. (50% reduction in the first month) Is that as intended? Is there something I should or could be doing that I'm not that would keep that from happening?

Answering my own questions...

• Still no idea on what's going on with the 3 hour reset of absorbtion percentage and moisture modifier. It doesn't seem to effect anything, so I'm ignoring it.
  • After some experimentation I can confirm that I'm getting a 50% improvement overall by having seven times as many radiators and what's needed. The numbers shown in the pics I posted show the results. It may look funky, but they're not that costly, so I'll be putting extra radiators on everything.
  • Actinides... I forgot about Actinides. Or, more accurately, I never realized the huge effect they have. After a month Wall to Beam power dropped by 50%. I was down 75% by the end of the first year. Then I remembered you could use a science bay to reprocess Actinides. You can see my new ground station below. I have the science bay with a couple kerbals to run it. In testing I found that the station pictured would generate 770MW Wall to Beam power for six years before running out of fuel. (That's why there's six years worth of TAC supplies listed in the upper left. I'm sure Karelyn & Erbus will find *something* to do to pass the time)

I've deployed four of these stations at the West end of the runway, and have a set of four orbital relays to send power around to where it's needed.

Album a/Crwao will appear when post is submitted
    (still having trouble getting pics to work here)

Here's a simple vessel showing my beamed power network in use. Not much more than a probe core, fuel tank, thermal receiver, and engine.

Album a/OPWhk will appear when post is submitted

11 hours ago, tmbomber said:
  • Actinides... I forgot about Actinides. Or, more accurately, I never realized the huge effect they have. After a month Wall to Beam power dropped by 50%. I was down 75% by the end of the first year. Then I remembered you could use a science bay to reprocess Actinides. You can see my new ground station below. I have the science bay with a couple kerbals to run it. In testing I found that the station pictured would generate 770MW Wall to Beam power for six years before running out of fuel. (That's why there's six years worth of TAC supplies listed in the upper left. I'm sure Karelyn & Erbus will find *something* to do to pass the time)

Correct and you can extend the lifetime of your reactor een further by having EnrichedUranium present when fuel reprocesing, as it will then not only get rid of the actinides, but replace the actinides by fresh uranium

Serious problem with some ISRU equipment not having a functional management window and some reactors. Tri alpha is fine, but Tokamak and salt reactors both seem to have broken reactor management interfaces and I've yet to find an ISRU other than the the resource harvesting atmospheric intakes that has a functional ISRU refinery window and that is with me redownloading and re-installing the warplugin mod to verify not a corruption issue. Repeated on two streams.  

Clip below to show situations it occurs in:
https://clips.twitch.tv/NaiveGlutenFreeDragonfruitAliens

Please note I had both windows open, neither had an interface. This is what i got on the salt reactor and the tokamak as well only a title bar with empty content. I suspect there is a possibility that on some parts the 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 may have been interchanged.

Want to resume the old campaign and continue to showcase what is possible with KSPIE, but I need it working pretty badly to be able to make that happen in a live setting.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

air compressor currently breaks all known conservation laws:

1. it does not produce heat or require energy, but do compress air, and compressed air has lesser entropy, than uncompressed one, air temperature (?magically?) stays the same, which process does it use? (second law of thermodynamics is broken, if compressor would require energy then it should produce same heat)

2. several of them do produce more compressed air than got in air intake (without intake air used for jet engines), production is going on inside cargo bay.

P.S. please fix thermal ramjet it currently almost produce no thrust on mars, compared with engines which works on compressed air.

it seems correct way of doing it: (a) convert all kinetic energy which comes with air in intakes (stopping air to mach 1) to heat,

and (b) use reactor heat to accelerate same air to speed, which depends on reactor temperature,

some heat from (a) can also be used in (b), if thruster is done correctly.

in case of scramjet - it will waste even less energy as it does not stop air to mach one, only to speed which corresponds necessary compression.

all heat produced in both cases(compressor and ramjet/scramjet) could have two energy sources: speed of aircraft(i.e. drag on intakes), and reactor power(i.e. electric power)

p.s.2 all lqd fuel fuselages in kspie have too low temperature for use in spaceplanes, need some types which do have better external thermal  protection.

Edited by okder

• 2 weeks later...

Added a new Beta 1.16.2.1 which can be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Added Bussard Magnetic Scoop which can collect from either magnetosphere , interstellar medium or solar wind

* Added Bussard Fusion Engine

* Added p-p Fusion and p-D for Muon Catalized Fusion reactor

* Added Alcubiere Drive simultaneous ring deployment

* Added more Chinese localisation

* Rebalance Maded Spin-polarized D-He3 available for Tri Alpha 

* Rebalanced Muon Catalized Fusion reactor into a reactor specialized into reactor which convert gamma energy directly into electric power

* Rebalanced Alcubier mass scaling, making larger vessel easier

* Rebalanced Heavy XI Alcubierre Drive, reduce mass by 33% while maintaining same warp power

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.