KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, FreeThinker said:

There are 2 reasons for not doing this, balance and power. Generating a lot of raw power is one thing, converting it into useful electric energy is something else. The Daedalus engine produces more than 10 TW in raw fusion power.  But this is only possible because it is an open cycle reactor and an can only produce power after generate a stream of charged particles when generating thrust. Any generated electric power is barely enough to keep its own fusion from functioning

So, It IS capable of sustaining itself while running? That means I could greatly downscale the secondary reactor.... Or maybe even get away with a huge capacitor bank instead.

So I'm getting my no slider on the Cryogenic Tanks for ammonia, so it always stays as liquidammonia (lqdammonia) and never gaseous. The Hydrogen and Nitrogen, Liquidwater and oxygen tanks all show up and work properly with their Lqd->Gas conversions. 

The resource panel also doesn't show any ammonia label, but does show hydrogen and nitrogen in their gaseous forms. 

This makes both the Haber Process and uranium nitrite production pretty much impossible. 

Have I set something up wrong or is this just something you've gotta get to?

Edit: Note, the slider does show up in the VAB and SPH, but not when launched. 

Edited by pejmany

• 2 weeks later...

Guys (and Gals?) - I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to understand something about charged particles... My ships seem to start with lots of CP and then after some (short) time, the CP amount is near zero. I was under the impression that the reactors that produce CP continue to produce, so why are they not regenerating? I'm sure this is an easy thing, but for the life of me, I can't find a thread that easily addresses this. Help...

Have an issue which I think has 2 parts.

KSPI isnt avaliable to be downloaded via KCAN due to dependencies of Persistent Rotation. 

Persistant Rotation isnt being supported anymore by its author. 

Therefore, are there any plans to remove it from the package?

48 minutes ago, zapman987 said:

Have an issue which I think has 2 parts.

KSPI isnt avaliable to be downloaded via KCAN due to dependencies of Persistent Rotation. 

Persistant Rotation isnt being supported anymore by its author. 

Therefore, are there any plans to remove it from the package?

There might be a problem with your CKAN as it is showing up in mine for 1.3.1, and does not have a dependency, recommendation, or suggestion for Persistant Rotation.

Does anyone know how the kerbstein drive works?
I've tried making it bigger, attaching a reactor directly to it, adding more radiators and having less. I've even tried changing the config file so the thrust is 7700 (up from 3700)  I can't get it to produce more than 2900Kn of thrust..
I don't know if it's the game nerfing it or what, everything I've tried hasn't changed anything.

So has there been any talk of a "antigravity" device within KSPI? There has been some research on lasers behaving like there creating negative mass and, i know thats a bit of a jump to a "antigravity" drive but, isn't that kinda the theme here? :D @Freethinker?

9 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

So has there been any talk of a "antigravity" device within KSPI? There has been some research on lasers behaving like there creating negative mass and, i know thats a bit of a jump to a "antigravity" drive but, isn't that kinda the theme here? :D @Freethinker?

No, the main direct of KSPI has always been a hard science fiction, which I intend to uphold

Edited by FreeThinker

12 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

Well, it IS science. I'm just interpreting it rather optimistically. :D 

No its not. What would be hard science fiction is using some known physics mechanism and boost it to still plausible high performance where it can convert raw energy source into useful energy.

Er sorry but 370 pages is quite a lot to read, please forgive me gently if this has already been covered. ISRU, these are this mod?

If I do have the right place, then... am I missing something or is there no ability to convert LF to H2 ? I would have thought LF was a hydrocarbon and there would be a way of doing so. If there is any O2 in LF then H2 and 02 could be products. The reason I ask is that at this stage of my game I am thinking of using atomic engines which can use H2. Using a Bussard Collector in orbit of Kerbin I can collect LF. Yes I know there is a Hydrogen lovers version, but I like the fuel density of LF. A pure H2 vessel is huge. So I was thinking, store LF onboard and use an ISRU to convert to H2. That way I can use cryogenic engines and nuclear ones.

Whilst I am talking about this, Direct Cycle Nuclear engine, the one you can use in atmo, like the tory, one of its fuels is stated as H2, but in game it uses LH2 when provided with all three states, solid H2, liquid H2 and plain old H2. Again sorry if I have the wrong place for these questions, or even the wrong mod.

22 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

I mean exotic matter supposedly has antigravitational properties, so if warp drive is possible antigravity could be :P

On 1/30/2018 at 8:23 PM, Apaseall said:

Er sorry but 370 pages is quite a lot to read, please forgive me gently if this has already been covered. ISRU, these are this mod?

If I do have the right place, then... am I missing something or is there no ability to convert LF to H2 ? I would have thought LF was a hydrocarbon and there would be a way of doing so. If there is any O2 in LF then H2 and 02 could be products. The reason I ask is that at this stage of my game I am thinking of using atomic engines which can use H2. Using a Bussard Collector in orbit of Kerbin I can collect LF. Yes I know there is a Hydrogen lovers version, but I like the fuel density of LF. A pure H2 vessel is huge. So I was thinking, store LF onboard and use an ISRU to convert to H2. That way I can use cryogenic engines and nuclear ones.

Whilst I am talking about this, Direct Cycle Nuclear engine, the one you can use in atmo, like the tory, one of its fuels is stated as H2, but in game it uses LH2 when provided with all three states, solid H2, liquid H2 and plain old H2. Again sorry if I have the wrong place for these questions, or even the wrong mod.

@FreeThinker I did a quick google and found: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production

Looks like I was not nuts when I thought this could be done. I look forward to having this as an option. I doubt that a new part need be created, as adding the ability to do such will probably be a process that one of the existing parts can cover, ie say electrolysis.

@Apaseall The problem of LH to H2 is that is unclear what LH consist of. It behaves as an hypergolic rocket fuel (as no ignition appears to be required) while having the energy storage density of kerosene. Another problem is that LF can be constructed directly from Ore which can be found anywhere. This is a balance problem because the most important molecule for rockety "Hydrogen" is not as easy available. To create  Hypergoloc Fuels is even harder as it requires Nitrogen. By allowing LF to be converted into H2 it would effectively allow Hydrogen mining from anywhere, which would be a serious break of Hard Sci Fi realism which realism level KSPI is aiming for . This is why we call it Hard Sci Fi because it requires more effort but is also more rewarding when achieved

Edited by FreeThinker

12 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@Apaseall The problem of LH to H2 is that is unclear what LH consist of. It behaves as an hypergolic rocket fuel (as no ignition appears to be required) while having the energy storage density of kerosene. Another problem is that LF can be constructed directly from Ore which can be found anywhere. This is a balance problem because the most important molecule for rockety "Hydrogen" is not as easy available. To create  Hypergoloc Fuels is even harder as it requires Nitrogen. By allowing LF to be converted into H2 it would effectively allow Hydrogen mining from anywhere, which would be a serious break of Hard Sci Fi realism which realism level KSPI is aiming for . This is why we call it Hard Sci Fi because it requires more effort but is also more rewarding when achieved

Ah I see. Ore > LF. Honestly I was not thinking of that. I was thinking Bussard > LF. I may have to install the hydrogen lovers in a manner that allows for two distinct types. Then build another orbital refuel station for LH.

Regarding balance. Are you looking for real world balance, as in are you stating that Hydrogen is not easily available in our modern world? I doubt that to be true other wise why do I believe there are Hydrogen fueled cars? Or are you looking for some game balance that ensures that Hydrogen is rare? In which case that makes realism not overly an accurate description if the realism being alluded to is with our modern world. I have no problem with you stating that you want Hydrogen to be rare but I do wish to have is clear. Clear that the realism being aimed at is skewed from a one to one mapping.

Your reply does raise the importance of the other question I asked. Why is the Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet? using LH if I have the propellant set to Hydrogen and LH is not equal to Hydrogen? Come to think of it, if LH does not equal Hydrogen why are there tanks which perform LH <-> H? or LH <-> SH. I was under the assumption that we were basically playing with state changes, gas, liquid and solid not actual changes from one element to a chemical. I am being confused? Have I grasped the wrong end of the stick? In a nutshell I am trying to avoid making vessels that have huge gas bags in order to contain enough Hydrogen to be useful by means of converting something else like a liquid into Hydrogen. I am happy to have the mentioned engine use Hydrogen as stated, then store the Hydrogen as solid Hydrogen and release it through solid to liquid to gas.

Edited by Apaseall

3 hours ago, Apaseall said:

Regarding balance. Are you looking for real world balance, as in are you stating that Hydrogen is not easily available in our modern world? I doubt that to be true other wise why do I believe there are Hydrogen fueled cars? Or are you looking for some game balance that ensures that Hydrogen is rare? In which case that makes realism not overly an accurate description if the realism being alluded to is with our modern world. I have no problem with you stating that you want Hydrogen to be rare but I do wish to have is clear. Clear that the realism being aimed at is skewed from a one to one mapping.

To answer your question, it is important to take into account the context. Hydrogen is the most abundant substance in the universe. However it is not distributed uniformly, you cannot find it everywhere because of it main property which is that it is very light and small, and easily get lost when exposed to the solar winds. On earth/Kerbin, hydrogen is literally everywhere, mostly bound as Water, but on the surface of the Mun/Moon or Mars/Duna it is expected to be extremely rare. You only likely be able to find significant quantities (for propulsion) near the poles at some permanently dark locations (like in craters) or very deep underground. Most Hydrogen is located in the stars and in gas planets, but you cannot land there. At best you would be able the scoop above its atmosphere. Hydrogen can be found in mantle ore but still in small quantities. Another possible source is the solar winds but you need extremely powerful magnetic fields to catch anything.

3 hours ago, Apaseall said:

Ah I see. Ore > LF. Honestly I was not thinking of that. I was thinking Bussard > LF. I may have to install the hydrogen lovers in a manner that allows for two distinct types. Then build another orbital refuel station for LH.

hydrogen lovers? sounds like you are using another Mod. Are you aware KSPIE has is own Magnetic Scoop which can function as a Bussard Ramjet. Besides collecting hydrogen from interstellar space, it can scoop above atmospheres and directly from the solar wind. You can even use as a mean of propulsion or as an extremely powerful atmospheric break.

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, Apaseall said:

Your reply does raise the importance of the other question I asked. Why is the Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet? using LH if I have the propellant set to Hydrogen and LH is not equal to Hydrogen? Come to think of it, if LH does not equal Hydrogen why are there tanks which perform LH <-> H? or LH <-> SH. I was under the assumption that we were basically playing with state changes, gas, liquid and solid not actual changes from one element to a chemical. I am being confused? Have I grasped the wrong end of the stick? In a nutshell I am trying to avoid making vessels that have huge gas bags in order to contain enough Hydrogen to be useful by means of converting something else like a liquid into Hydrogen. I am happy to have the mentioned engine use Hydrogen as stated, then store the Hydrogen as solid Hydrogen and release it through solid to liquid to gas.

To answer this you have to understand that a cryogenically cooled resource is more than just propellant, it also serves as a engine coolant which allows it to operate at higher temperatures than it would without. This is especially the case for any direct thermal propulsion method like the Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet where the Cryogenic propellant is used to keep the nozzle from melting. Engine effective wasteheat production depends on the fuel flow. The higher the fuel flow and cryogenically cooled, the less rest wasteheat is produced. This is the reason why you need more Radiators the higher your Isp is. In the case of atmospheric propulsion, the fuel flow is actually high enough that not many radiators are required. Currently, engine cooling is currently only dependant on its isp but in the future, I also want to take into account the propellant effective cooling effect. liquid hydrogen can be converted into Hydrogen Gas which is used for mainly for Coldflow RCS and ISRU processes. Solid storage is used for storage purposes only and can only feed reactors where small quantities of hydrogen can be extracted using lasers.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

To answer this you have to understand that a cryogenically cooled resource is more than just propellant, it also serves as a engine coolant which allows it to operate at higher temperatures than it would without. This is especially the case for any direct thermal propulsion method like the Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet where the Cryogenic propellant is used to keep the nozzle from melting. Engine effective wasteheat production depends on the fuel flow. The higher the fuel flow and cryogenically cooled, the less rest wasteheat is produced. This is the reason why you need more Radiators the higher your Isp is. In the case of atmospheric propulsion, the fuel flow is actually high enough that not many radiators are required. Currently, engine cooling is currently only dependant on its isp but in the future, I also want to take into account the propellant effective cooling effect. liquid hydrogen can be converted into Hydrogen Gas which is used for mainly for Coldflow RCS and ISRU processes. Solid storage is used for storage purposes only and can only feed reactors where small quantities of hydrogen can be extracted using lasers.

Many thanks for the replies. I see from you reply that the DCNT is really using LH, so the listing as Hydrogen for propellant is my confusion. Is there the possibility of renaming the propellant in the future to avoid this? Yes I see, ore is everywhere lol. As for the scoops, yes I believe I have seen them but I am not that far along the tree atm. Playing sandbox but sticking with collecting science for advancement etc to make it a little challenging/fun. I am trying to launch into LKO, refuel and fly off to Mun for a bit of science, with a SSTO space plane. Space plane, hence the desire not to have lots of gas bags lol. Still it is a work in development and I rather enjoy the challenge. LFO seems to be the only way I can get my big bird off the ground OPT KH build. Sorry I ramble.

@Apaseall Notice to a certain degree you can actually configure the resources KSPIE used and produces and make LH equal to LF by simply editing its value in the WarpPluginSettings.cfg in the WarpPlugin root folder by changing

HydrogenResourceName = Hydrogen

into

HydrogenResourceName = LiquidFuel

When unaffected, you could always fix by creating custom Module Manager fixed to alter the configuration of  KSPI parts

Edited by FreeThinker

17 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@Apaseall Notice to a certain degree you can actually configure the resources KSPIE used and produces and make LH equal to LF by simply editing its value in the WarpPluginSettings.cfg in the WarpPlugin root folder by changing

into

HydrogenResourceName = LiquidFuel

When unaffected, you could always fix by creating custom Module Manager fixed to alter the configuration of  KSPI parts

My apologies but the question I am asking is this: why does DCNT state that it is using Hydrogen as a propellant but drain LH2 from my craft not Hydrogen? My reference to renaming was to rename the propellant name used by DCNT to accurately reflect what fuel disappears from my craft when I change DCNT to use Hydrogen.

Hello,

Is there a way to disable an option to purchase resources other than "basic"? For me, the most rewarding part of KSPIE is building resource gathering and processing infrastructure, but I find it highly demotivating and almost pointless, if you can just simply buy enriched uranium, tritium or antimatter. Not to mention it is anticlimactic when shortly after "discovery" of antimatter you can buy it in unlimited amounts.

Regards

Edited by dankis

On 2/3/2018 at 10:16 AM, Apaseall said:

My apologies but the question I am asking is this: why does DCNT state that it is using Hydrogen as a propellant but drain LH2 from my craft not Hydrogen? My reference to renaming was to rename the propellant name used by DCNT to accurately reflect what fuel disappears from my craft when I change DCNT to use Hydrogen.

Alright, you got a point there. It is indeed confusing when it states to use Hydrogen while it actually means LqdHydrogen. The reason is that Hydrogen was added long after the switchable Thermal Engine was developed and I never thought it would be a problem. I will get to it when I prepare the thermal engine for localization.

On 2/3/2018 at 5:05 PM, dankis said:

Hello,

Is there a way to disable an option to purchase resources other than "basic"? For me, the most rewarding part of KSPIE is building resource gathering and processing infrastructure, but I find it highly demotivating and almost pointless, if you can just simply buy enriched uranium, tritium or antimatter. Not to mention it is anticlimactic when shortly after "discovery" of antimatter you can buy it in unlimited amounts.

Regards

Well you could simply create a custom MM which does what you describe

// Custom Resources Tweaks
@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Antimatter]:FINAL
{
  @isTweakable = false
}

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.