KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

5 hours ago, AtilaElari said:

What about the biome around KSC? It won't be much of a bother to drive away a dozen meters.

Well that is Grasslands biome, you could do the same as for KCS, make it zero or very low

Edited by FreeThinker

So Im just getting my first power network up, I have a shielded laser diode transmitter, molten salt reactor beam generator and thermal generator all in orbit in a station, what I cant figure out however, is which part I am supposed to use in order to recieve/relay the beamed laser power. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Yuri kagarin56

38 minutes ago, Yuri kagarin56 said:

So Im just getting my first power network up, I have a shielded laser diode transmitter, molten salt reactor beam generator and thermal generator all in orbit in a station, what I cant figure out however, is which part I am supposed to use in order to recieve/relay the beamed laser power. Any help would be much appreciated.

The first thing you need to do is make sure the transmitter and receiver are on the same frequency.  Then check if you are sending power - look for Wall To Beam power.  Then check if you are receiving power in the Power Receiver Interface.  Then check the spot-size to make sure the spot size is less than the receiver aperture. If the spot-size is larger than the receiving aperture, then you aren't getting full power.   Higher frequencies make smaller spot-sizes, but are also less efficient.  Relays can only be used on a compatible frequency and only work if there is no direct line between the transmitter and  receiver. 

Edited by enewmen

7 minutes ago, enewmen said:

The first thing you need to do is make sure the transmitter and receiver are on the same frequency.  Then check if you are sending power - look for Wall To Beam power.  Then check if you are receiving power in the Power Receiver Interface.  Then check the spot-size to make sure the spot size is less than the receiver aperture. If the spot-size is larger than the receiving aperture, then you aren't getting full power.   Higher frequencies make smaller spot-sizes, but are also less efficient.  Relays can only be used on a compatible frequency and only work if there is no direct line between the transmitter and  receiver. 

Yes thats the trouble, I cant find which part im supposed to use for a reciever, im beaming long infrared 

1 hour ago, Yuri kagarin56 said:

Yes thats the trouble, I cant find which part im supposed to use for a reciever, im beaming long infrared 

Look for the correct frequency here.  This is an example of a long infrared receiver.

If you can't find your exact frequency, then check for the bandwidth start and end wavelength.

The Phased Array Transceiver (top) is a lower-tech receiver that can receive long infrared.

long.png

Edited by enewmen

15 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes you can. The KCS actualy consist of several biomes, you have to figure out exactly which youself but you can find a list here.  and add it as a specific biome resource to Uraninite.cfg.

Here is an example for the KTC LaunchPad

BIOME_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceName = Uraninite
	ResourceType = 0
	PlanetName = Kerbin
	BiomeName =  LaunchPad

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 0
		MinAbundance = 0
		MaxAbundance = 0
		Variance = 10
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

this will ensure that trying to min on the KTC LaunchPad itself will not work

Will this affect the existing saves or only the newly-generated worlds?

Also, I think there is a typo in Universal Drill's configs. It drains 1000 power/second instead of 100 that part description implies.

EDIT: It used to draw a bizzare amount of power but after I reloaded the game it started acting normal. Not  sure what that was about.

Edited by AtilaElari

7 hours ago, enewmen said:

The Phased Array Transceiver (top) is a lower-tech receiver that can receive long infrared.

long.png

Actually Phased arrays  are more like medium tech receivers/transmitters.

The true lower tech receivers are the rectennas

This is the first one is available with Specialized electrics (550 Sci)

1lXyyhl.png

Rectennas cannot transmit but their are lighter, cheaper, lower tech, capable of receiving shorter wavelengths, potentially easier to fold, larger and more efficient.

Edited by FreeThinker

35 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Actually Phased arrays  are more like medium tech receivers/transmitters.

The true lower tech receivers are the rectennas

This is the first one is available with Specialized electrics (550 Sci)

1lXyyhl.png

Rectennas cannot transmit but their are lighter, cheaper, lower tech, capable of receiving shorter wavelengths, potentially easier to fold, larger and more efficient.

I see, so the rectenna is what I wanna stick on a ship to get power from a relay network. 

And when something states it transmits in all bandwidth it means it works for every type of beam? And what type of part do I need to use to create a relay network?

Edited by Yuri kagarin56

31 minutes ago, Yuri kagarin56 said:

I see, so the rectenna is what I wanna stick on a ship to get power from a relay network.

Yes but rectennas Achilles heel is that it can only receive in one particular wavelength configured in the VAB, if you you want to receiver in a broader collection of wavelength or at shorter wavelength, you need to use photovoltalics receivers (like solar cells). Alternatively it you want to receiver in any wavelength all the time (including X-rays) you should use thermal receivers but this solution tends to be heavy and less efficient (compared to other receive methods).

31 minutes ago, Yuri kagarin56 said:

And when something states it transmits in all bandwidth it means it works for every type of beam?

You always transmit in a single wavelength but some transmitters (in combination with a beam generator) are capable of switching wavelength in flight while others (like the phased array) are stuck to the wavelength configured in the VAB.

Edited by FreeThinker

Well, as convenient as it is, I have to let you know that you can bypass the QSR startup by going into the reactor control window and clicking activate. On another note, what's the word on the customizable magnetic field configs? I'm willing to act as an incremental change testing monkey if you (reasonably) don't wanna  continuously load and reload ksp with GPP to see if stuff works, just hmu.

3 hours ago, Jumberlack said:

On another note, what's the word on the customizable magnetic field configs? I'm willing to act as an incremental change testing monkey if you (reasonably) don't wanna  continuously load and reload ksp with GPP to see if stuff works, just hmu.

customizable magnetic field configs ? what do you mean?

Edited by FreeThinker

Is there a possible incompatibility with some mods? I don't have access to my GameData folder at the moment, but I'm on 1.3.1 and if I install it from CKAN, my normally (relatively) stable game starts crashing on random scene changes. When I'm off of work I can post the mods I have. When it does crash, the output_log just abruptly ends without a normal stack trace or anything. If the output_log would still help, I can pretty easily replicate it and send that your way as well. 

Sorry if this has been asked/mentioned before, and thanks ahead of time!

1 hour ago, Shushoni said:

Is there a possible incompatibility with some mods? I don't have access to my GameData folder at the moment, but I'm on 1.3.1 and if I install it from CKAN, my normally (relatively) stable game starts crashing on random scene changes. When I'm off of work I can post the mods I have. When it does crash, the output_log just abruptly ends without a normal stack trace or anything. If the output_log would still help, I can pretty easily replicate it and send that your way as well. 

Sorry if this has been asked/mentioned before, and thanks ahead of time!

Not that I know off, but the most likely place where it might conflict is with any of the MM script.

What I suggest you do it systematically remove mods until the crash no longer occurs systematically

A bit of a bug to report: I had an outpost with Blanket Photovoltaic Power Reciever, but then during some maneuvers I tipped it over, shattering the solar panel. As a result it formed a cloud of shards that was rigidly attached to the spacecraft.

Screenshot.

Edited by AtilaElari

Are some of the things meant to be empty? If not, that's a 1.4 bug.

Edit: This might actually be from a combination of mods. I'll test that out real quick.

Tested, and they're empty on their own.

Edited by Tokoshoran
Realized a potential cause for the problem.

The new beta, KSPIE 1.18.0 can finally be downloaded from here

Changelog

* Compiled against KSP 1.4.1

* Added improved Near Future Electrics integration: NF-E reactors now feed Interstellar Megajoule Power Management (credits by @Arivald Ha'gel)

* Added Double Cyclotron part, which can create heaver isotopen from lighter isotopes

* Added Low tech Fission Reactor (credits by @SpaceMouse)

* Added 3 Additional Photovoltaic technodes

* Added Oversized Thermal Microwave Transceiver

* Added improved Model for Muon Catalized Fusion Engine

* Balance: moved more advanced Photovoltaic  receiver higher into tech tree and improved their maximum achievable efficiency

* Balance: modified tech upgrade requirements of many reactors, which depending on their characteristics depend on different tech nodes for upgrades

* Balanced tech upgrades of thermal electric generator which higher efficiencies are now unlock by the new Photovoltaic technodes

* Balance: increase minimum tech requirement Molten Salt Reactor to Advanced Nuclear Power

* Balance: changed all Near Future-Electric nuclear reactors tech requirement to first nuclear power techmode

* Balance: changed power divider in NF mode from 500 to 100

* Fixed UF4 Ammonolysis (credits by Arivald Ha'gel)

* Fixed Timberwind Black artifact exhaust problem

* Fixed missing textures (credits by Arivald Ha'gel)

* Fixed Molten Salt Swap Fuel issue (credits by Arivald Ha'gel)

* Structural: Split parts inside Microwave folder into separate sub folders

* Structural: replaced internal PartModule configuration by Module Manager script  (credits by Arivald Ha'gel)

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

Wasn't sure my reactor was gonna show up. :D

Well, I assumed I had already had added the reactor but lost track of it during some hotfix. It probably still needs some tweaking

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.