KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

20 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

This is because the  Molten Salt Reactor has a minimum utilisation.

Ok, but this "minimum utilisation" seems to be not very consistent, see for example this plane with (now 2.5m radius reactor + engine) idle engine:

DI1oWHE.jpg

So, is there any real minimum utilisation, or is there no automatic power control for thermoelectric generators? Man, i think that whole mod needs some more basic science, QSR all good, and multiple fuelmodes, but the basics are lacking a litte...

25 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Ok, but this "minimum utilisation" seems to be not very consistent, see for example this plane with (now 2.5m radius reactor + engine) idle engine:

DI1oWHE.jpg

So, is there any real minimum utilisation, or is there no automatic power control for thermoelectric generators? Man, i think that whole mod needs some more basic science, QSR all good, and multiple fuelmodes, but the basics are lacking a litte...

Thermoelectric generators, on nuclear engines like Nerva, Timberwind and Lightbulb run on the idle power nuclear output of the reactor and cannot be throttled up or down. They don't produce much power but it is often enough to keep vital systems like life support and cryostorage powered

Edited by FreeThinker

On 12-12-2017 at 3:44 PM, FreeThinker said:

Yes and the reason the SQR can generate much more power is that the SQR is essentially a matter to energy converter where E= MC2

From a game balance perspective, the SQR is the ultimate power reactor while the Muon Catalysed reactor is between antimatter reactor and QSR

From a realism perspective, the SQR is hard to balance right because any future real counterpart would be much bigger in dimension and heavier, but would it kind of unworkable for KSP where players start to complaining anything bigger than 3.75 diameter.

@raxo2222 This reminds me to put the Quantum Singularity Reactor in a higher tech node than the Muon Catalised Fusion reactor (which will capable of Hydrogen Fusion). Would you know a good tech node name to host our Kugelblitz? What about "Quantum Gravity". Why "Quantum Gravity"? because in order to create a quantum singularity you need to produce something with a higher temperature than Quantum temperature at which point the laws of quantum physics break down and need another kind of physics, which is called Quantum Gravity.

800px-Quantum_gravity.svg.png

We also need to balance it more. I would like to hear any ideas. Ideas I currently have on my mind:

1. Besides total charge power, also require a minimum power threshold, like at least 1% of power input (0.01 * 640 = 6,4 GW), that way you cannot charge it with a primitive nuclear reactor and a lot of time.
  2. Make the Maintenance power partially dependant on G-force where at 1 G it would require as much power to maintain it as it would produce. Failure to produce enough maintenance would cause it to start exponentially produce more power, eventually blowing up the ship in pure energy.
  3. Starting requires a significant amount of starting resource
  4. Turning it could be made impossible, as it would cause it to explode.

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@raxo2222 This reminds me to put the Quantum Singularity Reactor in a higher tech node than the Muon Catalised Fusion reactor (which will capable of Hydrogen Fusion). Would you know a good tech node name to host our Kugelblitz? What about "Quantum Gravity". Why "Quantum Gravity"? because in order to create a quantum singularity you need to produce something with a higher temperature than Quantum temperature at which point the laws of quantum physics break down and need another kind of physics, which is called Quantum Gravity.

800px-Quantum_gravity.svg.png

We also need to balance it more. I would like to hear any ideas. Ideas I currently have on my mind:

1. Besides total charge power, also require a minimum power threshold, like at least 1% of power input (0.01 * 640 = 6,4 GW), that way you cannot charge it with a primitive nuclear reactor and a lot of time.
  2. Make the Maintenance power partially dependant on G-force where at 1 G it would require as much power to maintain it as it would produce. Failure to produce enough maintenance would cause it to start exponentially produce more power, eventually blowing up the ship in pure energy.
  3. Starting requires a significant amount of starting resource
  4. Turning it could be made impossible, as it would cause it to explode.

Hmm Quantum Gravity tech node sounds good for QSR

1 Sounds good.

2 Power will increase to meet maintenance demand anyway.

3 Magnetic Scoop will take care of it anyway, as you need to be close to planet.

4 why?

Edited by raxo2222

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Thermoelectric generators, on nuclear engines like Nerva, Timberwind and Lightbulb run on the idle power nuclear output of the reactor and cannot be throttled up or down. They don't produce much power but it is often enough to keep vital systems like life support and cryostorage powered

Ok, I don't know if that answer has anything to do with what I was talking about, which was molten salt + thermoelectric generator. I was not talking about nuklear engines. Are you a politician by any chance?

39 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Ok, I don't know if that answer has anything to do with what I was talking about, which was molten salt + thermoelectric generator. I was not talking about nuklear engines. Are you a politician by any chance?

Sorry if I didn't answer your question. The Molten Salt reactor does have minum utilization but it doesn't always show up in the thermal and electric overview screen. But in the reactor screen it should aalways show a minimum percentage unless it is turned off after which it first need to cool down fully before restart. KSPIE does have quite a sophisticated power prioritization mechanism, but it requires some manual tweaking to fully benefit from it as it is imposible to read the mind of the player

58 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

4 why?

well technically a miniature black hole is an exploding star at slow motion with exponential energy growth. We just prevent it from exploding in a flash of pure energy  by bombarding it with enough particles that it gain equal amount of energy in mass as that it losses from hawking energy. If you would suddenly stop feeding it, would start to exponentially produce more hawking energy until all  it mass is turned into energy in an instant, which should be enough to evaporate everything nearby.

Edited by FreeThinker

29 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Sorry if I didn't answer your question. The Molten Salt reactor does have minum utilization but it doesn't always show up in the thermal and electric overview screen. But in the reactor screen it should aalways show a minimum percentage unless it is turned off after which it first need to cool down fully before restart. KSPIE does have quite a sophisticated power prioritization mechanism, but it requires some manual tweaking to fully benefit from it as it is imposible to read the mind of the player

well technically a miniature black hole is an exploding star at slow motion with exponential energy growth. We just prevent it from exploding in a flash of pure energy  by bombarding it with enough particles that it gain equal amount of energy in mass as that it losses from hawking energy. If you would suddenly stop feeding it, would start to exponentially produce more hawking energy until all  it mass is turned into energy in an instant, which should be enough to evaporate everything nearby.

Black hole, that has mass of 1000 tons will last 1.5 minutes.

10x heavier black hole will last 1000x longer - almost one day.

http://xaonon.dyndns.org/hawking/

But these blackholes have luminusity of 10^12 MW.

Black hole, that has luminosity of 3 TW will last  2600 thousand years and has mass of 10 million tons.

Such black hole would have size of 1.5*10^-8 nanometers.

Also it would have temperature of  1.2*10^13 K

Edited by raxo2222

10 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Black hole, that has mass of 1000 tons will last 1.5 minutes.

10x heavier black hole will last 1000x longer - almost one day.

http://xaonon.dyndns.org/hawking/

But these blackholes have luminusity of 10^12 MW.

Black hole, that has luminosity of 3 TW will last  2600 thousand years and has mass of 10 million tons.

Such black hole would have size of 1.5*10^-8 nanometers.

Also it would have temperature of  1.2*10^13 K

Yes but what if you could create some local 'time dilatation field' where time was slow down to only a tiny fraction of normal time? then suddenly you would be able to manage the insane amount of energy produced by micro black holes  to more manageable levels.

Edited by FreeThinker

16 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes but what if you could create some local 'time dilatation field' where time was slow down to only a tiny fraction of normal time? then suddenly you would be able to manage the insane amount of energy produced by micro black holes  to more manageable levels.

Is that even possible in our universe?

Either you need to have strong gravity fields or go really fast.

13 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Is that even possible in our universe?

Either you need to have strong gravity fields or go really fast.

Would it be less, equal or harder then to creating negative mass for warp travel? If we can control gravity at the graviton level (using quantum gravity laws) we should be able to do both. Where the  hell do you think those spinning rings around the singularity are for :wink:

Edited by FreeThinker

27 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Would it be less, equal or harder then to creating negative mass for warp travel? If we can control gravity at the graviton level (using quantum gravity laws) we should be able to do both. Where the  hell do you think those spinning rings around the singularity are for :wink:

I thought they represented miniature accretion disks.

Also there is bug with compact atmospheric radiator:

0ZZlOly.jpg

Connection points are misplaced.

Edited by raxo2222

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

wrong again? its a probecore + msr + heatsink: 0.0000% where is that minimum power?

fotUi5o.png

here i attached the thermoelectric generator, now there are 20% power usage. But for what? There is no EC consumed, so where is that power going? Wasteheat? Couldn't the reactor just throttle down?

DiIsgpf.png

Edited by Blackline

1 hour ago, Blackline said:

wrong again? its a probecore + msr + heatsink: 0.0000% where is that minimum power?

fotUi5o.png

Yes this is indeed a bug, it should always have a minimum utilization, even when it is not connected to any generator or engine

I think i have found what happens.

[LOG 14:55:40.353] [OSE] - Loading PartRecipe for KSPIE-VASIMR2
[EXC 14:55:40.595] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 Workshop.Recipes.WorkshopRecipeLoader+<LoadPartRecipes>d__4.MoveNext ()
 UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)
 Is related to another mod ose-workshop.

Excuse!

2 hours ago, Leandro Basi said:

I think i have found what happens.

[LOG 14:55:40.353] [OSE] - Loading PartRecipe for KSPIE-VASIMR2
[EXC 14:55:40.595] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 Workshop.Recipes.WorkshopRecipeLoader+<LoadPartRecipes>d__4.MoveNext ()
 UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)
 Is related to another mod ose-workshop.

Excuse!

I heard OSE Workshop, is not 1.4.x ready

I new beta 1.18.3 is available which addresses some issues

You can grab it from here

Changelog

* Added Tech node Quantum Gravity

* Added Tech node  Extreme Electrical Systems

* Balance: Increased Power output when connected to MHD and Plasma nozzle for several heat specialized Reeactors

* Balance: Increased Tech requirement Antimatter reactor

* Balance: Charged Particle Direct Converter benefits from improved efficiency with Extreme Electrical Systems unlocked

* Balance: Rectennas have improved efficiency with Extreme Electrical Systems

* Balance: Made upgrade Alcubiere warp drive require  Extreme Electrical Systems

* Balance: made Quantum Singularity Reactor require Quantum gravity

* Fixed Thermal Stock overheating issue of small thermal nozzles

* Fixed inconsistency Thermal, Particle, and Wasteheat Buffers   (by Arivald Ha'gel)

8 hours ago, Drachs said:

Does anybody know if the bug that caused molten salt reactors to stop working when you undock has been squashed yet?

Its not fixed yet, but a work around is simply to quick save and quick reload

Edited by FreeThinker

Thanks for the reply man, do you have any hints  about where I might go looking for it?  I'm doing a lot of docking and undocking and it keeps killing my kerbals due to lack of life support :)   It's probably out of my league (I'm a programmer but I don't know much about kerbal modding or Unity) but at least I could see if there's anything in the logs and get it documented as a git issue.

On 31/03/2018 at 6:38 AM, FreeThinker said:

In our universe, gravitons do not exist as gravity is not a force but rather a property of the geometry of spacetime.

14 hours ago, Drachs said:

Thanks for the reply man, do you have any hints  about where I might go looking for it?  I'm doing a lot of docking and undocking and it keeps killing my kerbals due to lack of life support :)   It's probably out of my league (I'm a programmer but I don't know much about kerbal modding or Unity) but at least I could see if there's anything in the logs and get it documented as a git issue.

It has to do with all the things that happen after 2 vessels are docked an a new vessel which is causing exiting vessel central managers not to get processed anymore.

Next release will introduce a significant improvement in the Part Module information of reactors which was not very informative or confusing

Here is a small selection

qZwE8L7.png

TKJ3zbX.png

ShTMrCo.png

VuNhdOa.png

IxJZ3gb.png

The general idea is that Reactor module info shows all the important information and any information that is irrelevant is left out

This should make it easier for player to make a conscious choice what reactor to choose and what to expect.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.