KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Notice that it could fulfill multiple KSPI related requirments:

- Research Experiment (FOr Research)

- Tritium Generator (For First Gen Fusion)

- Helium 3 Generator (For Second Gen Fusion)

- Antimatter Generator (For Antimatter Power)

- Exotic Matter Generator (for Warp Travel)

So it will be useful early on until end game

It's almost as if this part was created for KSPI ;)

Edited by FreeThinker

Edit2: I just started to write a beginners guide. It will be based off the charts on the front page. I will share as soon as I have most sections added.

I have started writing up some sections describing the sections of the charts and their effects. This might be good as a standalone document but also may be useful to be added as tooltips to the main post if possible. Sections highlighted in yellow need additional work/review as I am not knowledgeable enough about them yet. Take a look at let me know if this looks to be on the right track to be provided as a beginners guide or reference guide.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WjPP1xNDeMuRqEx7TaXJYIm86NJeP62PsExM02RzNQ4/edit?usp=sharing

[h=2]Version 1.3.16 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4[/h] Released on 2015-08-21

• Added Particle Accelerator (Shrunken Orbital Supercollider) which requires MegaJoule to generate Research Data
  • Fixed ISRU Sabatier Process
  • Fixed ATILLA Hotrocket FX
  • Converted some Textures to DSS format

I have started writing up some sections describing the sections of the charts and their effects. This might be good as a standalone document but also may be useful to be added as tooltips to the main post if possible. Sections highlighted in yellow need additional work/review as I am not knowledgeable enough about them yet. Take a look at let me know if this looks to be on the right track to be provided as a beginners guide or reference guide.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WjPP1xNDeMuRqEx7TaXJYIm86NJeP62PsExM02RzNQ4/edit?usp=sharing

Very good initiative. This remind me how complex this mod is, it contains a lot of small little details

That google doc thing is cool.. i was reading it and someone was editing it and I could watch them do it in realtime :)

- - - Updated - - -

Freethinker have you given thought to maybe a shielded version of some of the engines? like if I want to make engines pointing forward to aid in re-entry but I don't want the drag/heating to damage them on ascent/descent.. an aerodynamically shielded cone around them that will open up like a cargo bay/etc to allow the engines to fire. Might be an interesting addition?

That google doc thing is cool.. i was reading it and someone was editing it and I could watch them do it in realtime :)

- - - Updated - - -

Freethinker have you given thought to maybe a shielded version of some of the engines? like if I want to make engines pointing forward to aid in re-entry but I don't want the drag/heating to damage them on ascent/descent.. an aerodynamically shielded cone around them that will open up like a cargo bay/etc to allow the engines to fire. Might be an interesting addition?

No, but I have made it possible to make a vessel modular by adding Non-androgynous docking ports, which allow you remove a reactor and send it back to Kerbin for reprocessing

Thanks for all the comments in the kspi guide. I have incorporated the changes into the base document and will send out another message once I have the next few sections ready for review.

Also I have updated the MFT_KSPI.cfg for ModularFuelTanks to add in additional electric engine propellants. I still may tweak this a bit more since it feels unfinished compared to some of the resources that preexisted and lacks most of the density/utilization tags for pressurized gasses.

I also tested the Thermal Turbojet again and found that it continues to draw water from my vessels regardless of the Lock/Unlock propellant switch.

PHEW! Now its time to play the game :D

I also tested the Thermal Turbojet again and found that it continues to draw water from my vessels regardless of the Lock/Unlock propellant switch.

PHEW! Now its time to play the game :D

Exactly what parts are you using

I checked myself and it worked as designed but perhaps that not how you expect it to work. Currently it tries to fill a reservoir of LqdWater on the engine, when it is activated, which is drawn from all part that allow water to be used as a propellant. Notice this reservoir wil not instantly empty itself when you lock all water sources. This means the engine will not turn of until this reservoir becomes empty.

Edited by FreeThinker

Looks like a plasma acceleration, but I will admit I know relatively little about particle accelerators

Wiki for plasma acceleration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_acceleration

CERN uses RF acceleration, and plasma acceleration allows for much stronger acceleration for a given area ie: doesn't need to be enormous to be powerful.

Wiki for plasma acceleration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_acceleration

CERN uses RF acceleration, and plasma acceleration allows for much stronger acceleration for a given area ie: doesn't need to be enormous to be powerful.

Interesting, but then why was the Large Hydron Collider build, obviously size matters otherwise why spend many Billions of euros.

Comparison with RF acceleration

The advantage of plasma acceleration is that its acceleration field can be much stronger than that of conventional radio-frequency (RF) accelerators. In RF accelerators, the field has an upper limit determined by the threshold for dielectric breakdown of the acceleration tube. This limits the amount of acceleration over any given area, requiring very long accelerators to reach high energies. In contrast, the maximum field in a plasma is defined by mechanical qualities and turbulence, but is generally several orders of magnitude stronger than with RF accelerators. It is hoped that a compact particle accelerator can be created based on plasma acceleration techniques or accelerators for much higher energy can be built, if long accelerators are realizable with an accelerating field of 10 GV/m.

So basicly RF accelerators is a proven technology while plasma acceleration is a promissing but non proven technology like all of KSPI parts ;)

Seems to me a particle accelerator based on plasma acceleration is the kind of technology that belongs in KSPI. Good to know we already support the graphics. You can actualy see the plasma start accelerating around the accelerator when you start it. :cool:

Edited by FreeThinker

NOtice the particle accelerate will be especially valuable for the creation of exotic matter, which cannot be created out of thin air, like rover dude like you to believe. You need a powerful particle accelerator and powerful reactor to generate the exotic matter.

Scientists have created a never-before seen type of exotic matter that is thought to have been present at the earliest stages of the universe, right after the Big Bang.

The new matter is a particularly weird form of antimatter, which is like a mirror-image of regular matter. Every normal particle is thought to have an antimatter partner, and if the two come into contact, they annihilate.

The recent feat of matter-tinkering was accomplished by smashing charged gold atoms at each other at super-high speeds in a particle accelerator called the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider at the U.S. Department of Energyicon1.png?s (DOE) Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, N.Y.

Among the many particles that resulted from this crash were bizarre objects called anti-hypertritons. Not only are these things antimatter, but they're also what's called strange matter. Where normal atomic nuclei are made of protons and neutrons (which are made of "up" quarks and "down" quarks), strange nuclei also have so-called Lambda particles that contain another flavor of quark called "strange" as well. These Lambda particles orbit around the protons and neutrons.

If all that is a little much to straighten out, just think of anti-hypertritons as several kinds of weird.

Though they normally don't exist on Earth, these particles may be hiding in the universe in very hot, dense places like the centers of some stars, and most likely were around when the universe was extremely young and energetic, and all the matter was packed into a very small, sweltering space.

http://www.space.com/8012-exotic-antimatter-created-earth.html

Exotic matter is like the fuel for Warp Travel, it requires a certain amount of exotic matter to create a warp burble and maintain it.

Edited by FreeThinker

I tried the new Particle Accellerator, very beautiful and shi-fi parts, congratulations. Are we able to collect the experiment just when the Particle Accellerated bar is full?

At the moment, it still doesn't work for Exotic matter, right?

Exactly what parts are you using

I checked myself and it worked as designed but perhaps that not how you expect it to work. Currently it tries to fill a reservoir of LqdWater on the engine, when it is activated, which is drawn from all part that allow water to be used as a propellant. Notice this reservoir wil not instantly empty itself when you lock all water sources. This means the engine will not turn of until this reservoir becomes empty.

See the 2 images below for pictures of my test setup. I am also able to freely switch back and forth between hydrogen and water.

http://imgur.com/gqgZXwO,whbunYp

I tried the new Particle Accellerator, very beautiful and shi-fi parts, congratulations. Are we able to collect the experiment just when the Particle Accellerated bar is full?

Further integration will be later, I got higher priorities now

- - - Updated - - -

See the 2 images below for pictures of my test setup. I am also able to freely switch back and forth between hydrogen and water.

http://imgur.com/gqgZXwO,whbunYp

Seems to me you are using regular water. I Noticed you do not have LqdWater in your thermal turbojet. This means your using regular water instead of LqdWater. Either you or some other mod has altered this in the NTRPropelants config file, or your using a old or corrupted KSPI Install. Please remove KSPI and reeinstall.

I haven't actually had the time to test it myself. 95% was just copy past work, I just ensured the model worked, resized the model and nodes and all modules were cloned and renamed into KSPI to prevent any collisions. Hopefully you can tell me if it actually works.

Seems to me you are using regular water. I Noticed you do not have LqdWater in your thermal turbojet. This means your using regular water instead of LqdWater. Either you or some other mod has altered this in the NTRPropelants config file, or your using a old or corrupted KSPI Install. Please remove KSPI and reeinstall.

I isolated the issue to two mods. TAC Life support and KSPI. When TAC Life support is installed the engine does not receive the LqdWater container when switching to the water resource. It does however contain this when TAC life support is not installed which seems odd. I am attempting to figure this out on my own but you may know the answer quicker than I can figure it out.

I am thinking TACLifeSupportFix.cfg might be the culprit here. The file hasn't been updated in 3 months which was before the LqdWater change was implemented.

Edited by Trolllception

I haven't actually had the time to test it myself. 95% was just copy past work, I just ensured the model worked, resized the model and nodes and all modules were cloned and renamed into KSPI to prevent any collisions. Hopefully you can tell me if it actually works.

It works well (ish). It throws some errors in the VAB, and I had the clear feeling that it stop to work for a moment when I timewarped for few seconds, restarting his job from 0 out of TimeWarp.

EDIT: here's a screenshot

e48U67e.png

Edited by Nansuchao

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.