KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

15 minutes ago, infernosblade said:

A small suggestion:  would be nice if you @FreeThinkercan update to (Dev version of KJR (Ferram4) https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement ) in the package, otherwise Infernal Robotics would break 

keep up the good work, much love<3

Meh I dont even bother with KJR just use the default autostrut system. Works very well for me, even on large 600+T satelites. KJR is depricated as far as Im concerned.  

Curious about something, now that I've unlocked the pebble bed reactor and the thermal nozzle, can one stick a nozzle on one end of the reactor and a thermal generator on the other and call it good? Does that reduce the power of the thermal nozzle? Can the generator be shut off?

E: Whoops, wrong thread? if so, sorry.

Edited by regex

13 minutes ago, regex said:

Curious about something, now that I've unlocked the pebble bed reactor and the thermal nozzle, can one stick a nozzle on one end of the reactor and a thermal generator on the other and call it good? Does that reduce the power of the thermal nozzle? Can the generator be shut off?

That is usually what it's done to provide thrust and energy to a ship, completely legit.

17 minutes ago, regex said:

Yes the whole idea is modulariy, If you connect it with a nozzle on one end, it become an engine, if you connect it with a thermal electric generator, it becomes a nuclear electric power generator and you can do both at the same time.

Yes the reactor can be shut down if needed, but it can only be restated manually with an Kerbal (Engeneer),

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

Yes the reactor can be shut down if need, but it can only be restated manually with an Kerbal (Engeneer),

Generator is what I'm worried about, whether it scums heat from the nozzle and whether it can be shut down during a burn.

1 minute ago, regex said:

Generator is what I'm worried about, whether it scums heat from the nozzle and whether it can be shut down during a burn.

The reactor will prioritize thermal power generation above propulsion, but if you don't want that, you can always disable the generator to prevent it from converting thermal heat into power

Just now, FreeThinker said:

The reactor will prioritize thermal power generation above propulsion, but if you don't want that, you can always disable the generator to prevent it from converting thermal heat into power

Great, thank you.

2 hours ago, regex said:

E: Whoops, wrong thread? if so, sorry.

Note that setup has a disadvantage that the generator will only make minimal power because the pebble bed really doesn't like getting hot.  You will need a huge amount of radiator mass to make it work, so don't rely on it for high power output. a small molten salt + gen might be more mass efficient.

4 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

Note that setup has a disadvantage that the generator will only make minimal power because the pebble bed really doesn't like getting hot.  You will need a huge amount of radiator mass to make it work, so don't rely on it for high power output. a small molten salt + gen might be more mass efficient.

That's fine, I'm not planning on running much more than 100 EC/s at the max. I'm really just theory-crafting at work, I'll try all this later to satisfaction in-game. And maybe throw an NF reactor on instead of a thermal generator.

Hopefully that won't gimp its ability as a power source for the nozzle... Seemed really good in the VAB.

Thanks.

Edited by regex

1 minute ago, regex said:

That's fine, I'm not planning on running much more than 100 EC/s at the max. I'm really just theory-crafting at work, I'll try all this later to satisfaction in-game. And maybe throw an NF reactor on instead of a thermal generator.

Thanks.

The mass of the gen is set based on the mass of the reactor it's attached to, so if you put it on a 8T reactor it will be 5T, while you can get 100ec out of a mini-molten salt of 200kg + 150kg gen.  Or the 0.625 reactor from MKS (what I use in every probe + a small rad).

The FELA really is the only game in town for high power transmission isnt it. None of the others can even come close. Even as little as 135MW would require a scaled up FELA. (With NFT installed) 

Is there a balance issue here? Does the reactor scaling with NFT have any affect on the beamed power systems? 

9 hours ago, ss8913 said:

So.. is the light hyperdrive supposed to be scalable above 5m?  am I using a bad version of tweakscale(?) or is it not designed that way?

You will have to edit the light hyperdrive config file to do that, I will increase it's range for next  release

3 hours ago, Aaron Also said:

The FELA really is the only game in town for high power transmission isnt it. None of the others can even come close. Even as little as 135MW would require a scaled up FELA. (With NFT installed) 

Is there a balance issue here? Does the reactor scaling with NFT have any affect on the beamed power systems? 

Yes, everything in Near Future balance mode is 500 times less then in non NF mode, including beamed power  transmitters. The FELA is indeed the most powerful transmitter, but it is also the largest. Usually you don't need that much power, unless you build powerful solar power stations or use a quantum singularity reactor

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

...or use a quantum singularity reactor

Well you know Im gonna. What Kerbal doesn't want to brag that their home planet is surrounded by a swarm of controlled blackholes. Com'on really now... those are bragging rights worth having. Heck that doesn't even fall on the Kardishev scale. Count me in! 

11 hours ago, Aaron Also said:

Well you know Im gonna. What Kerbal doesn't want to brag that their home planet is surrounded by a swarm of controlled blackholes. Com'on really now... those are bragging rights worth having. Heck that doesn't even fall on the Kardishev scale. Count me in! 

Will the QSR boost warpdrive performance?  it seems like warpdrive performance is based solely on the size of the drive and not the reactors powering it (well, you need a certain minimum, but the max/min speed seems to be related solely to the warp-mass ratio)... is all of this true?

Corollary, why does it take MORE power to go SLOWER than 1.0c?  Is that just a thing with the alcubierre theory?

5 hours ago, ss8913 said:

Question #2, @FreeThinker -- when did the RCS and ATILLA lose the ability to use atmosphere as fuel?  I just loaded an older craft and it's kind of.. missing the ability to accomplish its intended role, as a result.

I believe it was 2 releases ago. My plan it to replace it by compressed air

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I believe it was 2 releases ago. My plan it to replace it by compressed air

like .. with the compressed air monodirectional thrusters?  those are from this mod, yes?  What's going to replace the ATILLA's ability, though?  was using those engines for VTOL and SSTO propulsion.. as closed-cycle only they're not that useful.

@FreeThinker

I just started adding ISRU to my MKS base, but when I built the ISRU and tried to open the ISRU control window it came up blank.  I can turn on and off the processing on the right click menu, but I can't do stuff like Regolith processing.  It was working when I tested the ISRU on the pad, but when I built the same thing with EL on my base it doesn't work?

Also related question, when I was looking at the ISRU parts, there are 3, the old white dome one, and two inline ones, one called refinery and one is a constructor that appears to do nothing? I went through the ISRU stuff on the first post and the wiki and didn't see anything about it.

I really don't understand how this new beamed power works. I had no luck in career mode so I did this simple test in sandbox.

I have ~1MW of solar power coming in => IR beam ~ 65% efficiency. But I get 2kW out of it. Why?

Also, is there a way of actually calculating how much energy loss there will be over a given distance, with a particular wavelength? Thanks guys.

2 hours ago, Liquid5n0w said:

@FreeThinker

I just started adding ISRU to my MKS base, but when I built the ISRU and tried to open the ISRU control window it came up blank.  I can turn on and off the processing on the right click menu, but I can't do stuff like Regolith processing.  It was working when I tested the ISRU on the pad, but when I built the same thing with EL on my base it doesn't work?

Also related question, when I was looking at the ISRU parts, there are 3, the old white dome one, and two inline ones, one called refinery and one is a constructor that appears to do nothing? I went through the ISRU stuff on the first post and the wiki and didn't see anything about it.

The constructor is a WIP feature that should not have been in the release yet. Feel free to ignore it for now.

34 minutes ago, EvilGeorge said:

The constructor is a WIP feature that should not have been in the release yet. Feel free to ignore it for now.

Okay great.

I've having trouble between MKS and KSPI-E.  For hydrogen and water, the ISRU won't use the inflatable storage for planetary storage.  Not only that, my ISRU will now not even put output into anything except it's built in 10 units of storage, refusing to put it into even new tanks I've built. Without water and hydrogen it's quite hard to do much with ISRU for fuels.

8 minutes ago, Liquid5n0w said:

Okay great.

I've having trouble between MKS and KSPI-E.  For hydrogen and water, the ISRU won't use the inflatable storage for planetary storage.  Not only that, my ISRU will now not even put output into anything except it's built in 10 units of storage, refusing to put it into even new tanks I've built. Without water and hydrogen it's quite hard to do much with ISRU for fuels.

intresting, this might have something to do with resource  flow type. I might have a solution for that. Could you provide a craft file where the problem is reproducible?

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.