Jump to content

KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread


Recommended Posts

I don't know if this is an issue with this mod, my install, or I just don't understand the intended behavior... I am trying to attach plasma nozzles to the IXS fusion reactor on its 4 radial nodes. What is confusing me is the thrust... it seems like I get the most thrust when I have only two nozzles attached. Is there an explanation for how having fewer nozzles increases thrust? In addition, using Kerbal Engineer, the reported TWR in the VAB for plasma nozzle set ups is much higher than in actual use. Any clarification on how plasma nozzle thrust works when using multiple nozzles would be great. 

 

EDIT: the TWR seems to report in kerbal engineer more effectively when using a single nozzle. 

Edited by betelphi
Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 1.12.14 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-03-25

  • Added DanamicBuffer for Beamed Power receiver, allowing Ablative Nozzle to operate correctly in NF mode
  • Added Increased Tweakscaling for most parts up to 40m diameter
  • Added improved status messages for Beamed power Transmitter
  • Fixed Heat Transfer Radiators in NF mode
  • Fixed extreme G-Forces when accelerating with Alcubiere FTL Drive
Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be possible to add a .cfg toggle to force NF mode on or off? I personally prefer rebalancing NFe myself editing its cfgs than having NF mode on. 

 

EDIT: While I'm at it, what is the nominal megajoule yield of one unit of antimatter on a best case scenario? 

Edited by Djohaal
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've tried playing around with some of the ISRU stuff tonight, and found that perhaps the power consumption of the converter may not be "re-balanced" in conjunction with NF mode.

Seems when enabling the Uranium Tetraflouride process, the power consumption jumps to 600 something MW, which is of course beyond reasonable when considering a single reactor/generator setup is putting out 2.4 MW... unless I'm just totally missing something.

I snapped a couple of pictures of the overall setup for reference, but was unable to figure out how to post them here. I did post them in my discord (can be found by heading to my OzzyInSpace Twitch channel if you'd like)

 

I'm by no means experienced with using this stuff, and just dived in tonight - but just seems as though the power consumption may not be in line with the rest is all.

 

Additionally, any chances on having the part descriptions in the VAB match what they're being scaled for at some point?

 

Thanks in advance, and keep up the awesome work on this incredible mod!!

 

- OzzyInSpace

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Djohaal said:

Would it be possible to add a .cfg toggle to force NF mode on or off? I personally prefer rebalancing NFe myself editing its cfgs than having NF mode on.

Currently the only way to custom balance NF mode would be to edit USI_NF_Mode.cfg which is a MM script that applies some modifier to parts power output or requirement, it is usually the same.

Note that in the near future I plan to rebalace NF parts, but instead of scaling KSPI parts down to NF/Stock NF power output/requirement are scaled up.

 

6 hours ago, Djohaal said:

EDIT: While I'm at it, what is the nominal megajoule yield of one unit of antimatter on a best case scenario? 

 1 MW of energy requires 5.5555555555555e-15 ton of Antimatter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Currently the only way to custom balance NF mode would be to edit USI_NF_Mode.cfg which is a MM script that applies some modifier to parts power output or requirement, it is usually the same.

Note that in the near future I plan to rebalace NF parts, but instead of scaling KSPI parts down to NF/Stock NF power output/requirement are scaled up.

 

 1 MW of energy requires 5.5555555555555e-15 ton of Antimatter.

Aha, so it is done via cfg. I thought NF mode was something triggered from the .dlls, not a patch. Guess I didn't sniff around the patches folder properly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SpaceX said:

So I've tried playing around with some of the ISRU stuff tonight, and found that perhaps the power consumption of the converter may not be "re-balanced" in conjunction with NF mode.

Seems when enabling the Uranium Tetraflouride process, the power consumption jumps to 600 something MW, which is of course beyond reasonable when considering a single reactor/generator setup is putting out 2.4 MW... unless I'm just totally missing something.

I snapped a couple of pictures of the overall setup for reference, but was unable to figure out how to post them here. I did post them in my discord (can be found by heading to my OzzyInSpace Twitch channel if you'd like)

 

I'm by no means experienced with using this stuff, and just dived in tonight - but just seems as though the power consumption may not be in line with the rest is all.

 

Additionally, any chances on having the part descriptions in the VAB match what they're being scaled for at some point?

 

Thanks in advance, and keep up the awesome work on this incredible mod!!

 

- OzzyInSpace

Yeah it looks like in the screenshot the reactor is scaled down to 2.42MW by NF mode, while the 'ISRU converter' is still demanding 6MW:

screenshot32.png

6MW is what it demands in stock mode, so it's not being scaled:

9PxYuL0.png

The 600MW is just something that happens because the ISRU grabs stock EC if it can't find enough megajoules, and then the EC tries to put a huge demand on megajoules to replenish itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could the cause be that the NF MM patch applies to InterstellarRefinery but the part actually contains a subclass called InterstellarRefineryController?

 

Edited by bos
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bos said:

Could the cause be that the NF MM patch applies to InterstellarRefinery but the part actually contains a subclass called InterstellarRefineryController?

Yes, I forgot to add a NF patch.To fix it please add the following MM script to USI_NF_Mode.cfg:

 

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarRefineryController]]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
	@MODULE[InterstellarRefineryController]
	{
		%powerReqMult = 0.05
	}
}

 

Edited by FreeThinker
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed neither nitratine, saltwater (if that still exists) nor fluorite show up as resource maps on SCANsat, is that a fault on their end or KSPI-e's?

Edited by Djohaal
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Djohaal said:

I have noticed neither nitratine, saltwater (if that still exists) nor fluorite show up as resource maps on SCANsat, is that a fault on their end or KSPI-e's?

I notice they are missing from the community resource pack. 


Edit: In an attempt to make the ISRU work so I can build nuclear fuel....

* I added fluorite to the community resource pack's CommonRescources.cfg (I just copied  fluoride and removed the icon file) and copied the fluorite resource file into that mods directory and it started harvesting... 

* noticed fluorite processing was missing from the all in one ISRU.... However it was in the "ISRU Processor Large"
*copied over the part data from "ISRU Processor Large" into the "All in One IRSU Refinery" since it seemed to make sense.... 
*produces fluorine like a motherloveer.... Obviously not good balance.... but it is producing... 

*Needs LqdFluorine for TH4 and UF4... Son of a... 
 

Edited by Profit-
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Djohaal said:

I have noticed neither nitratine, saltwater (if that still exists) nor fluorite show up as resource maps on SCANsat, is that a fault on their end or KSPI-e's?

saltwater  is replaced by IntakeLqd and Salt,  but you are right I need to update the Orbital Scanner MM config

14 hours ago, Profit- said:

I
Edit: In an attempt to make the ISRU work so I can build nuclear fuel....
 

 

If you have a Science Lab on your vessel, all you need to reproces nuclear fuel is Enriched Uranium which can be created from Uraninite

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2017 at 3:53 AM, FreeThinker said:

That just the beam producer, what you also need is a beam transmitter. It need to be  connected with the beam producer. The Beam producer generates the beam of electro magnetic waves which is then focused by a beam transmitter into a focused beam which can be transmited over long distances. An exception to this are parts that have integrated beam producers, like the Laser Transmitter turret which can be attached radially

I figured this out myself on saturday, before I checked the forums, took some testing, I'm up to orbital reactor V1.40 M1R1. So, next question. After beating myself to death and back with testing (because I don't want to be bugging you too much) I now have 6 power sats in orbit actually capable of transmitting power. However, something seems off to me. 2.5m pebble bed reactors (before upgrade) make about 3.5MW. Power generator gets 2MW out of that. Infra red transmission means I can theoretically broadcast 1.25MW of that. My Orbital transceiver (V1.50 M1R1) in a polar orbit with LOS to all 6 sats is only receiving ~100KW, It should be about 60x that, surely? If not, what's the ideal set up for good power transmission?

And that relay thing you posted? Is that only valid for parts with "transceiver" in the name? I've tried all sorts of receivers and and folding antennas, but none of them have that link for relay button. I also wouldn't know how to get that huge dish into orbit, 3.75m aerodynamic fairing?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this is just a problem with my setup, But ive got a refinery setup on launch clamps on the runway for making hydrazine, but when I set a refinery to enable overflow, and then leave to another ship, it seems to forget that I had it set that way, seeing as it isnt nearly as productive as it should be over the time that im flying other ships, and  also the fact that when I come back I have to reset the refinery to enable overflow. This gums up productivity because I dont need the water from the peroxide process, and have limited water storage, so it slows down the whole process, as well as the electrolysis refinerys making too much o2 that I dont need

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jumberlack said:

I don't know if this is just a problem with my setup, But ive got a refinery setup on launch clamps on the runway for making hydrazine, but when I set a refinery to enable overflow, and then leave to another ship, it seems to forget that I had it set that way, seeing as it isnt nearly as productive as it should be over the time that im flying other ships, and  also the fact that when I come back I have to reset the refinery to enable overflow. This gums up productivity because I dont need the water from the peroxide process, and have limited water storage, so it slows down the whole process, as well as the electrolysis refinerys making too much o2 that I dont need

Good point, I immediately implemented it. It will properly save and load the last overflow setting at startup next release.

Edited by FreeThinker
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the conversions managed by the ISRU UI (rathe than standard converters) acessible somewhere as cfg files or they still are hardcoded? It'd be easier to grasp the mechanics and conversions by being able to read their definitions. I might write a ISRU guide eventually. Also does Caesium have any use so far?

Edited by Djohaal
Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for the possibly dumb question - been over a year since I played KSP, let alone this mod.  Should Thermal Ramjets/rocket engines be requiring IntakeAir to function?  I don't recall this in the past except for the turbojet for atmospheric flight, which I'm not using.  Can post screenshots/logs of the issue in a couple hours if need be. 


EDIT - Nevermind, the answer is quite definitely "lolno," fixed it with a simple reinstall of the mod. 

Edited by Shively
Fixed it!
Link to post
Share on other sites

@FreeThinker - I tried the compressed air feature.  here's my feedback:

1. I built a spaceplane with 2x 2.5m compressed air tanks set to '95' for the compressedAir <-> intakeAir slider (what is this supposed to do? I notice if i start the tanks empty, a positive value fills the tanks, a negative value does nothing, and likewise the '100' value does nothing.  is that a bug?)
2. I put resistojet RCS in compressedAir mode, as well as 2 ATILLA thrusters for VTOL use, on compressedAir mode, balanced with TCA.
3. main propulsion is a conventional thermal ramjet nozzle attached to an antimatter reactor.
4. intakes are 2x heavy ram air intakes and 2x SABRE-M intakes which are .. a lot of intake for a plane this size.

So I take off vertically using compressedAir for the ATILLA and the RCS thrusters for balance.  It takes all of 10-15 seconds to run the compressedAir tanks dry trying to hover over the runway.  The .. air compressors.. can't keep up with the draw.  I'm not sure what to do; a huge craft with the tank size necessary to buffer the loss from the ATILLA wouldn't be a good use of this technology, IMO... I'm using these in the same way I used to use ATILLAs in atmospheric mode and it's... completely useless.  Cooling them is hard enough, but feeding them air is apparently a losing battle.  Not sure what to do; is this realistic?  are there bugs involved?  Not sure where to go with this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the hydrogen in the wrapper tanks keep boiling off despite the ship having EC (and generating it, not just draining a battery), that's a bug likely caused by a conflict with another mod, right? I build ships with them and they are loaded at the launchpad with an initial temperature around 300ºk, which doesn't decrease despite radiators, so their contents keep boiling off

Edited by juanml82
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, juanml82 said:

If the hydrogen in the wrapper tanks keep boiling off despite the ship having EC (and generating it, not just draining a battery), that's a bug likely caused by a conflict with another mod, right? I build ships with them and they are loaded at the launchpad with an initial temperature around 300ºk, which doesn't decrease despite radiators, so their contents keep boiling off

 
 
 
 

Nope the wrapper tare unpowered, these tanks are supposed to be thrown off during launch, any boiloff is negligible for the time required to get into orbit. Do you think NASA launch tank are cooled as well, no they a continuously filled until launch

Edited by FreeThinker
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...