KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

There is something about making hydrazine from raw materials.

N2 + 3 H2 -(Haber Process)-> 2 NH3

2 O2 + 2 H2 -(Anthraquinone Process)-> 2 H2O2

2 NH3 + 2 H2O2 -(Peroxide Process)-> 2 N2H4 + 4 H2O; UMM Something is missing :/ (10 hydrogen on left and 16 on left, if matching O and N)

Here is peroxide process on wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroxide_process

And I could run water electrolysis to recycle water...

2 H2O -(Water Electrolysis)-> 2 H2 + O2

So now I'm getting back oxygen and hydrogen.

So looks like oxygen should be in some dynamic equilibrium if you run water electrolysis, haber, antrahquine and peroxide at once.

Its pretty much N2 + 2H2 + O2 -> N2H4 + O2 (oxygen is used here, but it isn't part of hydrazine)

Edit: this big mothership makes 100g of hydrazine per second.

Jgu96uv.jpg

and I should use thorium instead lol

Looks like there should be some automatic management of air scoops to maximize production of hydrazine :P

Looks like oxygen exists only on Earth and Mars. Edit: it exists on Uranus/Neptune in form of H2O

Also ocean/surface resource definition cofings doesn't have RSS plane

Edited by raxo2222

hey there,

just checked in to ask if someone knows why loading of radiators take very long.

When i want to attach them in editor, they take long to appear on an attachable surface - and when loading ships with some of them (even below 100 parts), it takes about 10-seconds longer than without them (just 10 or so). Even the game is lagging if it would be a 300part ship.

seems to me as there might be an error in loading? Have the same with the stock 1.04 radiators since they are configured by modulemanager to handle wasteheat...

thanks

hey there,

just checked in to ask if someone knows why loading of radiators take very long.

When i want to attach them in editor, they take long to appear on an attachable surface - and when loading ships with some of them (even below 100 parts), it takes about 10-seconds longer than without them (just 10 or so). Even the game is lagging if it would be a 300part ship.

seems to me as there might be an error in loading? Have the same with the stock 1.04 radiators since they are configured by modulemanager to handle wasteheat...

thanks

Please check you log for any exceptions. They are the main reason parts get slow

Is there a way I can change the keybinding for toggling the hotkey that toggles the thermal helper in the VAB? I've rearranged my keybindings as I use the mouse in my left hand so the default 'w' key has been remapped to the 'i' key which toggles the menu. Every time I rotate something it pops up, so can I change something in a cfg file? I've search this thread and the outdated wiki/github page for anything to do with keybindings but couldn't find anything.

Sorry if this has been answered before or it's easy to find and I'm just being blind!

Version 1.3.8 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-08-15

• Added support for TAC Lifesupport: Water resources located in part can now be locked or unlocked for propulsion during flight or in the Editor. By default all TAC added water are locked for consumption
  • Thermal/Electric thrusters will now not feed from water that all locked as a source for propellant
  • Electric Engine Fuel mode can now be set in VAB
  • Quantum Vacuum mod no longer has and exhaust and is no longer affected by atmosphere
  • Reduced efficiency of Quantum Vacuum
  • Advanced EM Systems unlocked all electric thruster to use Oxygen or Chemical containing oxygen as a propellant
  • Fixed thermal thrust bonus Hydrazine for thermal electric thrusters

Edited by FreeThinker

Is there a way I can change the keybinding for toggling the hotkey that toggles the thermal helper in the VAB? I've rearranged my keybindings as I use the mouse in my left hand so the default 'w' key has been remapped to the 'i' key which toggles the menu. Every time I rotate something it pops up, so can I change something in a cfg file? I've search this thread and the outdated wiki/github page for anything to do with keybindings but couldn't find anything.

Sorry if this has been answered before or it's easy to find and I'm just being blind!

In the VAB the Thermal Helper can be activated by pressing "I"

I got some strange Atmospheric Scoop behavior with 1.3.8 Basically - it doesn't work at all (see screenshot, clickable)

Also, there is some odd things with engine, when switching fuelmodes - produces UI glitch. Stock toolbar icons become unclickable, fuel gauge may dissapear sometimes, rightclick on engine does nothing, Jeb very sad

E8cY4RAh.png

I made as tiny as possible quantum drone!

http://i.imgur.com/xfeIgTJ.jpg

Interesting design. Yes the Microwave Receiver + Quantum Vacuum Thruster is indeed an interesting combo. It will require very large amount of power and radiators (as 99% of the energy is wasted), but it should work.:sticktongue:. But can you actually make it all the way to Low Orbit on Quantum Vacuum?

Edited by FreeThinker

Hey FreeThinker, nice to see you fix it almost instantly, but problem with switching fuel modes still present. When I hit button to change fuelmode, it attempts to use Liquid Water, despite the fact, that my spacecraft doesn't have that resource at all. It causes Flame Out, and engine literally dies. It stucks on Liquid Water, hitting buttons does nothing, fuelmode does not changes, it's impossible to shutdown engine to ignite it again. I don't use TAC Life Support (USI Life Support instead), and I assume that behavior is the result of recent changes to engines, that prevents sucking out water of Life Support containers.

VASMIR at 67.5% of thrust on hydrazine has same ISP as thermal engine on 5m antimatter reactor running on same fuel.

What you actualy do is convert the Raw power into more flexible power. IT will cost you considerable efficiency of coerce but for long trips it will probably worth it.

Interesting design. Yes the Microwave Receiver + Quantum Vacuum Thruster is indeed an interesting combo. It will require very large amount of power and radiators (as 99% of the energy is wasted), but it should work.:sticktongue:. But can you actually make it all the way to Low Orbit on Quantum Vacuum?

Too small TWR sadly, so no - drag was too high as I was losing lift and couldn't break sound barrier

- - - Updated - - -

What you actualy do is convert the Raw power into more flexible power. IT will cost you considerable efficiency of coerce but for long trips it will probably worth it.

well but TWR is like 15x smaller for VASMIR than Thermal, and if I loaded ~15x more fuel into thermal engine, then I would have more DV than VASMIR with single biggest tank.

Raw power and thrust of shrek shouting fusrodah wins.

5m sized antimatter reactor is actually that powerful even though only 20% of energy goes to thrust and 80% (charged particles) just disappear into nothing.

Edited by raxo2222

Hi, i'm trying to make a spaceplane design where i have a reactor(pebble bed) then a Thermal rocket nozzle, then a decoupler, then a thermal turbojet.

lt4wvXN,ZcaWBdT#0

The turbojet starts up fine, but when i stage to decouple it and start the rocket nozzle, the nozzle has 0 thrust. If i start the plane without the decoupler and turbojet everything works fine.

lt4wvXN,ZcaWBdT#1

I'm assuming this is a bug, since how the vehicle starts out shouldn't affect how it works after staging/decoupling.. Anyone else experienced this?

Hey FreeThinker, nice to see you fix it almost instantly, but problem with switching fuel modes still present. When I hit button to change fuelmode, it attempts to use Liquid Water, despite the fact, that my spacecraft doesn't have that resource at all. It causes Flame Out, and engine literally dies. It stucks on Liquid Water, hitting buttons does nothing, fuelmode does not changes, it's impossible to shutdown engine to ignite it again. I don't use TAC Life Support (USI Life Support instead), and I assume that behavior is the result of recent changes to engines, that prevents sucking out water of Life Support containers.

Weird, could you tell or show me your vessel setup, what engine and propellants do you use and where are they located?

- - - Updated - - -

Too small TWR sadly, so no - drag was too high as I was losing lift and couldn't break sound barrier

- - - Updated - - -

well but TWR is like 15x smaller for VASMIR than Thermal, and if I loaded ~15x more fuel into thermal engine, then I would have more DV than VASMIR with single biggest tank.

Raw power and thrust of shrek shouting fusrodah wins.

5m sized antimatter reactor is actually that powerful even though only 20% of energy goes to thrust and 80% (charged particles) just disappear into nothing.

No they don't, the Charged Particles are converted into heat which is used to speed up the propellant

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, i'm trying to make a spaceplane design where i have a reactor(pebble bed) then a Thermal rocket nozzle, then a decoupler, then a thermal turbojet.

http://imgur.com/lt4wvXN,ZcaWBdT#0

The turbojet starts up fine, but when i stage to decouple it and start the rocket nozzle, the nozzle has 0 thrust. If i start the plane without the decoupler and turbojet everything works fine.

http://imgur.com/lt4wvXN,ZcaWBdT#1

I'm assuming this is a bug, since how the vehicle starts out shouldn't affect how it works after staging/decoupling.. Anyone else experienced this?

Please show me your setup

- - - Updated - - -

Version 1.3.10 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-08-16

• Fixed thermal thruster allowing switching to Water resource while no water is present
  • Fixed ability of atmospheric scoop, refinery to collect ORS resources

Ehm, the images show the plane before/after the staging. What do you mean by my setup exactly?

Its a very small plane and only 4 parts are really relevant, so it should be easy to recreate.

Reactor(Pebble bed)->Nozzle->Decoupler->Turbojet

The idea is to use the turbojet as long as you are in the atmosphere, then decouple it and use the nozzle when u have to use fuel.

Noticed two more interesting facts,

1.If i save/reload after decoupling, the nozzle works fine.

2. If i wait untill im ~20 thousand meters and then decouple, the nozzle gets some thrust but not the full amount. Save/reload also fixes this.

I can't reproduce engine menu stuck, so forget it, but I've notice something odd, than perhaps explains strange engine behavior.

Thermal Turbojet Engine contains Liquid Water resource container, which is not displayed on the resources menu, that's why I didn't notice it earlier )

nvCz4Fc.png

Seems like you fixed it while I wrote this post, so best thing I can do now, download and test it ))

Edited by Cosmonauth

^ Cool, so what is difference between 20% thermal power reactor and 20% charged particle reactor setup for thermal engine?

For example these are fusion fuel modes: one producing 100% thermal power and other - 100% charged particles...

Edit: Oceanic and surface resource definitions files doesn't have RSS planets

Edited by raxo2222

^ Cool, so what is difference between 20% thermal power reactor and 20% charged particle reactor setup for thermal engine?

For example these are fusion fuel modes: one producing 100% thermal power and other - 100% charged particles...

Well charged particles have the distinct advantage that they are easier to transfer their energy over longer distances. This effectively means you could put the reactor in front of the vessel and the charged particles would travel without loss to the back of the vessel. Note that when the thermal engine tries to feed from the reactors charged particles, it will have to wait until direct converters and magnetic nozzles had their fill.

Well charged particles have the distinct advantage that they are easier to transfer their energy over longer distances. This effectively means you could put the reactor in front of the vessel and the charged particles would travel without loss to the back of the vessel. Note that when the thermal engine tries to feed from the reactors charged particles, it will have to wait until direct converters and magnetic nozzles had their fill.

Hmm so better name for engine would be "thermodynamic" as it consumes CP too.

thermal method implies like these engines consumed only thermal power :P

I don't know what you mean by "my setup", the configuration only involves 4 parts, so it should be easy to reproduce. The images show before/after decouple

Reactor(pebble bed)->nozzle-decoupler->turbojet.

Noticed two more interesting facts..

1: Save and reload fixes the problem

2.If i wait until ~20km altitude before decoupling, the nozzle provides some thrust, but not as much as it shoud. Save/reload also fixes this.

The idea is to use the turbojet in the atmosphere, then decouple and use the nozzle when u have to use fuel..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.