KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

I found what I think is an issue with the Dusty Plasma reactor's menu/control window options.

Once shutdown, the reactor cannot be re-activated. There is no 'Activate' button in the Control Window and no button on the right-click menu for the part. I discovered this when I launched a ship with the reactor de-activated within the VAB. Once I was in orbit, I discovered that there was no way to activate the reactor. :(

Should I open an issue on github?

Hi, i have a problem, and it looks like its interstellar related... I just moded my stock KSP, and when I right click my kerbals, it shows "Rad hardness: 1" so many times i cant interact with kerbal hidden functions ;.; (no samples, flags and stuff)

bFkbhii.jpg

theres a list of mods i use, its screen from CKAN

ZoxgquH.jpg

i run 32bit KSP version on win7 64bit

Sorry if this problem was already fixed but theres 250 pages and I TRIED, but theres just too many and i got bored :sealed:

Hi, i have a problem, and it looks like its interstellar related... I just moded my stock KSP, and when I right click my kerbals, it shows "Rad hardness: 1" so many times i cant interact with kerbal hidden functions ;.; (no samples, flags and stuff)

http://i.imgur.com/bFkbhii.jpg

theres a list of mods i use, its screen from CKAN

http://i.imgur.com/ZoxgquH.jpg

i run 32bit KSP version on win7 64bit

Sorry if this problem was already fixed but theres 250 pages and I TRIED, but theres just too many and i got bored :sealed:

in warppluginsettings.cfg, check that 'RadiationMechanicsDisabled = True'

- - - Updated - - -

Good Idea!

I have made a forum thread for my stuff:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131806-Starlion-Industries-KSPI-patches-for-stock-parts-modpacks

I will look into the turbojet thing - was that with all reactors?

Here's what happening there - the thermal turbojet part is requesting energy, but the reactor does not seem to notice - it continues running at minimum throttle. I get a very small thrust, from the small amount of power produced at that throttle.

@FreeThinker: Is it possible that the ModuleEnginesFX for the thermal turbojet isn't getting seen by the power manager?

I found what I think is an issue with the Dusty Plasma reactor's menu/control window options.

Once shutdown, the reactor cannot be re-activated. There is no 'Activate' button in the Control Window and no button on the right-click menu for the part. I discovered this when I launched a ship with the reactor de-activated within the VAB. Once I was in orbit, I discovered that there was no way to activate the reactor. :(

Should I open an issue on github?

Have you tried to wait until the reactor is fully cooled down (takes several days) and then reactive it with a Kerbal on EVA?

- - - Updated - - -

@FreeThinker: Is it possible that the ModuleEnginesFX for the thermal turbojet isn't getting seen by the power manager?

It should not make any difference.

Have you tried to wait until the reactor is fully cooled down (takes several days) and then reactive it with a Kerbal on EVA?

I tried waiting for the cooldown period but a button never appeared in either the click menu or the control window.

I have not tried with a Kerbal on EVA; is that a requirement for the plasma reactors?

Well, I guess you didn't fully read the first post, which mentions how to disable Radiation effects

- - - Updated - - -

I tried waiting for the cooldown period but a button never appeared in either the click menu or the control window.

I have not tried with a Kerbal on EVA; is that a requirement for the plasma reactors?

All Nuclear reactor require an Kerbal (Engeneer) on EVA to activate the reactor. But I admit I haven't verified this functionality for quite some time. In the future I want Higher skilled engineers to restart it sooner.

In the stock thermal file:

foldingRadMed, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 630 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 630

foldingRadSmall, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 22.5 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 22.5

radPanelLg, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 90 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 90

radPanelSm, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 7.5 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 7.5

radiator-universal-1, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 90 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 90

radiator-universal-2, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 450 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 450

radiator-universal-3, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 345 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 345

For some reason, when I attempt to run either the atilla or other plasma thrusters, they simply dont function at all. (Not just having incredibly low thrust, as ive tried connecting it to a hundred nuclear reactors to make sure it had enough power to produce 1kn). It was connected to a liquid fuel tank, on a controlled ship with a ton of batteries and radiators as well. Am I missing a step?

For some reason, when I attempt to run either the atilla or other plasma thrusters, they simply dont function at all. (Not just having incredibly low thrust, as ive tried connecting it to a hundred nuclear reactors to make sure it had enough power to produce 1kn). It was connected to a liquid fuel tank, on a controlled ship with a ton of batteries and radiators as well. Am I missing a step?

Do you have a generator attached to the reactor to produce Megajoules? The Attila doesn't run on KSP electric charge.

foldingRadSmall, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 22.5 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 22.5

radPanelLg, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 90 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 90

radPanelSm, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 7.5 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 7.5

radiator-universal-1, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 90 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 90

radiator-universal-2, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 450 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 450

radiator-universal-3, upgradedRadiatorTemp = 345 should be upgradedRadiatorArea = 345

thanks

btw, has anyone played with the new Arcjet Rcs thrusters yet?

Edited by FreeThinker

thanks

btw, has anyone played with the new Arcjet Rcs thrusters yet?

Yes, upscaled to 1m allows you good control of 2.5m hydrazine tank.

So while its nice for smallish spacecraft, it won't be useful for antimatter powered thermal rocket with 2 5 meter hydrazine tanks.

Can we have these all directional RCS too?

ok, so im having a very hard (and quite irritating) time trying to restart a fusion reactor. i know it requires energy, but the second i deactivate the reactor, all of the megajoules/megawatts and electricity stored in the generators completely disappear, meaning my craft is left with literally just the batteries, and this is not what it was like in the original KSPI. why is this? is it part of the mod or did i break something somehow? also, if this is part of the mod, can someone help me with changing the config files in order to avoid this?

i know this would make it easier, and maybe (maybe not, who knows) less realistic, but i cant stand it because its not how it used to be. any help would be appreciated.

I think this explains why space stations I've built have a tendency to heat up over time and then start exploding. I noticed the stock small flat radiators never went over 2.7k/1600k temperature and no wasteheat would ever build above 0 even though there was plenty of production. What I still don't understand is why my career save radiators still seem to have the old max temp of 7k since the problem still exists with with wasteheat buildup and super low radiator temperatures after updating the cfg. Any ideas?

Edited by Trolllception

in warppluginsettings.cfg, check that 'RadiationMechanicsDisabled = True'

I had "True" there. When I "False" it out of curiosity it got even worse (instead of 1 line repeating, I had 4 lines)

EDIT: It seems its not interstellar related, same problem showed when i right clicked "KF Large Experimental Rover Body"

Edited by Drakuba

ok, so im having a very hard (and quite irritating) time trying to restart a fusion reactor. i know it requires energy, but the second i deactivate the reactor, all of the megajoules/megawatts and electricity stored in the generators completely disappear, meaning my craft is left with literally just the batteries, and this is not what it was like in the original KSPI. why is this? is it part of the mod or did i break something somehow? also, if this is part of the mod, can someone help me with changing the config files in order to avoid this?

i know this would make it easier, and maybe (maybe not, who knows) less realistic, but i cant stand it because its not how it used to be. any help would be appreciated.

Well, it is quite some time ago that generators had a free Megajoule storage that could contain thousants of megajoule op power for infinite amount of time. They kind of made batteries pointless as people could use them as powersources which lasted more than a life time. This was probably the most unrealistic feature of the old KSPI. I canged this by making the MegaJoule buffer variable that scalles with produced power and timewarp. THis means if you turn of the power grid, you lose all Megajoule power

Edited by FreeThinker

Well, that's quite some time ago that generators had a free Megajoule storage that could contain thousands of megajoules of power for infinite amount of time. They kind of made batteries pointless as people could use them as batteries which last more than a life time.

yeah, i only recently started working with KSPI extended. i haven't used a working KSPI install since 0.25 and sometimes i still use 0.23.5 for all the great mods (B9, original KSPI, planet factory CE, the list goes on). is there any way to change this? i could probably make a part that works like a battery but for joules/watts instead, or mod the current generators to store energy. any thoughts on this?

yeah, i only recently started working with KSPI extended. i haven't used a working KSPI install since 0.25 and sometimes i still use 0.23.5 for all the great mods (B9, original KSPI, planet factory CE, the list goes on). is there any way to change this? i could probably make a part that works like a battery but for joules/watts instead, or mod the current generators to store energy. any thoughts on this?

Well you could convert the Magnetic Confinement Fusion reactor into a Inertial Confinement reactor with the same properties. (specificly replace InterstellarTokamakFusionReactor by InterstellarInertialConfinementReactor) The Inertial Confinement has a charge feature which allows you to jumpstart the fusion reactor. Or just use the inertial confinement fusion reactor (formaly known as omega fusion reactor)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, upscaled to 1m allows you good control of 2.5m hydrazine tank.

So while its nice for smallish spacecraft, it won't be useful for antimatter powered thermal rocket with 2 5 meter hydrazine tanks.

Well you could always put multiple upscaled ArcJet RCS on your ship. This should allow you to control the biggest ships

- - - Updated - - -

Can we have these all directional RCS too?

Not like stock KSP. Due to their constructing, arcjet cannot be used around a corner. The proplant is moving at high speed and at high temerature. You could use it to cut to steel, or as as a short range weapon. Still if you realy want something like it, you could always create one youself. Simply add a small radialy attached sphere tank where you want a bidirectional RCS truster and add Arcjet Thrusters in every direction.

However, I could create a KSPI RCS which only requires a few KW, it would be able work in all directions, like regular KSP but at much lower Isp and only with Monoprepelant like Hydrazine and HTP.

Btw, I tried to use the ATILLA model as linear RCS but it simply does not function as an RCS. Perhaps someone with some RCS Model knowledge can tell me why.

perhaps I could use these models:

PoshUnsightlyEquestrian.gifDefenselessSpectacularAnnelid.gif

Edited by FreeThinker

Well then its still useful for docking. SAS can rotate instead.

Sorry, but I'm trying to understand, way can't you use the Linear ArcJet RCS for manovering, is it too weak? Or clumsy? I could add a Throttle limiter, it would allow you to trim RCS for docking.

Edited by FreeThinker

• Disabled Thermal color on Cargo Bays

Thanks for that!

Must be said that this is by far the best maintained version of KSP-I that I've used (and I think I've used all of them), much thanks and respect for all your hard work!

Sorry, but I'm trying to understand, way can't you use the Linear ArcJet RCS for manovering, is it too weak? Or clumsy? I could add a Throttle limiter, it would allow you to trim RCS for docking.

No, its fine for small spaceplanes, it has 2 RCS ports in each direction - so total it has 12 of them.

BTW looks like I need NASA supercomputer to run spaceship capable of grand tour in RSS in green with >30 FPS.

Now it runs at 5 FPS and 0.64x real time speed.

It has ~150 total parts. It uses Interstellar, KAS (for docking port rigidity), TAC, Seti greenhouse, Scansat and USI FTT bigass SAS.

Wonder what lags it.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here are 2 spaceships:

http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/UiHRTyVL/file.html - Mothership, around 80 parts. Generally its build like this: Engine-Electricity production-Hydrazine-ISRU parts and 5m SAS-life support-kerbals capsule-docking port.

http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/HdCOzKqp/file.html - VASMIR Jet. It is much simpler spacecraft, as it has engines, hydrazine tanks, radiators, wings, life support, docking port and RCS.

Both of them alone run at ~15 FPS and 0.9x real time

Real lag starts, when they are are close to each other.

Edited by raxo2222

I wonder how stable that rocket is, long rockets tend to bend, making control very tricky.

Surprisingly very stable.

It was wobbling, when I had these fuel tanks for ISRU in main stack, but after I put them on side rocket became very stable. Also I have KJR mod.

Just don't put flat part at bottom of rocket - center of mass of this rocket is around these balls of fuels.

You can test these ships - just don't forget to download mods, that I mentioned.

Edited by raxo2222

I did figured what cause precooler bug (thermal turbojet overheats even all intakes has precoolers) : FS1FPE Folding Electric Propeller has air coolant intake, which for some BUG reason counted as atmospheric intake (but that intake don't produce air/atmosphere - it's only producing FSCoolant).

for now i will close that intake when Propeller disabled (it's usable only on low speed anyway as attitude thruster for /almost vertical/ landing purposes).

P.S. original precooler is more correct according to wikipedia article (Precooled jet engine) i.e. air is cooled by fuel(H2) and both go to combustor, in this sense precooler could store (liquid) fuel.

it's looks like kspi-e precooler works on other (magical) principle, so it should be different part than original one.

Edited by okder

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.