Higher Paths - Corrupted

Casualnaut

This story takes place at the first stages of my career when I launch the rocket Guardian 5, I will get some pictures of it. This is a stock console career.

CHAPTER 1 - They say it orbits,  but it doesn't...

God no.

I'm stuck in this stupid science capsule that was meant to orbit, but didn't make it. The idiot calling the maneuvers at Mission Control started the burn way too early. You would think that they had hired the best people around Kerbin, but no. Especially considering our hangar is made out of metal sheets, our runway is a dirt path, and our Administration Building is a trailer. I am Jebediah Kerman, and this isn't my first time being flown into space in a trashcan full of boom. It started with Guardian 2 if I remember, Guardian 1 was Bob's. I was launched with only 1 solid rocket booster. Then It went on to the Contract Program, which was made when Mission Control screamed at us to complete contracts. After that, Guardians 3-5 were launched and they hinted at the possible Collector Program. Bill should feel happy that he doesn't have to be here, not whining that he was canceled out on Guardian 3. Oh, you are wondering who Bill, Bob, and everyone else is? Well we have Bill, our field engineer; Bob, our field scientist; Valentina, our first female pilot, and that recruit pilot... I forgot her name. Anyways, I am cracking open the hatch for a science EVA. I slam the depressurize button and seal my helmet, and now I am recording to you from the expanses of space! Sadly, I have orders. I have to connect the Science Bay wires to the main computer system, and open the service bay to reveal that container that has weird stuff in it. With small bursts of RCS, I go down to the Science Bay and connect the red wire to the red slot, and  the blue wire to the blue slot; All of a sudden, it starts beeping and reveals the test elements. "Jeb, I think you forgot a wire. Wait it is supposed to beep, sorry," I heard crackling through the radio. Half of Mission Control didn't even know the protocols for the capsule science experiments, they are supposed to be briefing me! I go down to the service bay and pry it open, then deploy the canister. I float back to the capsule so I can get on the system to do the science.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GCOS LOADING...

ACCESSING PROTOCOL MAP...

ACCESSING PROTOCOL 9351...

ACCESS DENIED - SHUTTING DOWN GCOS

What?! Yeah, that was a failure from Guardian Capsule Operating System. I told you it was just a trashcan full of boom. "Mission Control! GCOS denied my acess to the protocol map. Get it fixed!" I yelled into the radio. "On it! We need a good 5 minutes," mumbled some kid at Control. Yeah, from now on I call it Control to you guys. Well, I am going to try to brute force my way through GCOS. Hopefully the rumored Collector Protocol Map (CPM) is better than this black and white screen.

GCOS LOADING...

ACCESSING CORE SYSTEM...

ACCESSING COMMAND SHELL...

GCOS/Core/CS/JBK> toggle shockwave_system/protocolmap

STARTING SHOCKWAVE SYSTEM...

GCOS/PM successfully loaded...

GCOS/PM/JBK> access protocol_9351

ACCESSING PROTOCOL 9351...

ACCESS ACCEPTED...

STARTING SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH BAY...

STARTING SERVICE BAY CAMERA...

Using Bill's secret Shockwave System, I accessed the protocols to do the science. I substance scanned the science bay subjects and reported about what I saw the goo substance do in space, transmitting it to my magnetic data bank. Oh, by the way, Control never responded to me for the GCOS failure. I am going to deny all service coming from those darn idiots over there.

ACCESSING COMMAND SHELL...

GCOS/Core/CS/JBK> frequency toggle 

SHUTTING DOWN FREQUENCY CHANNEL...

There, now I am not on the radio, it is just me! Well I am going to take a nap for a few hours. Goodnight or good day you guys. Wait one last thing, Bill is sending me access to another system if I remember.

ERROR DETECTED...

SAS DISABLED...

GCOS SHUTTING DOWN...

NOVA SYSTEM ATTEMPTING TO RELOAD GCOS...

NOVA SYSTEM FAILURE - DATA BACKED UP TO BSDB

What is Nova System? Will Jeb survive? Why did GCOS fail? Is Mission Control still on lunch break? Soon to be revealed in Chapter 2...

Edited by Casualnaut
Forgot "and"

28 minutes ago, rnramos said:

@Casualnaut Amazing, continue with another chapters!

But just a question, why at the start of the text Jeb says he is not in orbit and at the end of the text he goes few hours of nap?

The sub-orbit was almost perfect. I accidentally burned a bit to early. I am finishing up the pictures for Chapter 2: Collectors be collecting...

4 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Great mate

It was meant to be great, mate. :cool:

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

Well done! Really love it!

Love the support!

Edited by Casualnaut

Okay people who follow this story, I just need to type up Chapter 2: Collectors be collecting...

I got 3 pictures I think, 2 of the Guardian 5 disaster reentry (lower science module blew up,) and 1 of Collector 1 launching. I have a vague idea for chapter 3, and here is a small spoiler about Chapter 2.

Spoiler

Mission Control has finished lunch break, all though one guy made a mess out of his noodles.

Table of contents will be added after chapter 3, for all people who hate swimming through the replies and teasers.

1 hour ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Is it only me who's getting a giggle out of this?  I can just imagine Jeb with a crowbar, trying to pry open the service bay while in full EVA gear floating around the spacecraft. 

He did it with a spare fuse, actually.

8 hours ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Kerbals use fuses?  I thought they just stuck a lump of wire or a 6" nail into the socket... :D

Bill remembered to put spare fuses, except Jeb didn't think they were fuses.

Another chapter? Why yes, and my data saves are still not corrupted! Maneuvering you towards... 

CHAPTER... 1.5? - Trashcan drifting is awesome...

C'MON!

I knew this broken Guardian Capsule Operating System would fail! I knew it! I woke up an hour ago, prepared to manually control my craft for reentry. I ate a food ration, closed the service bay and jammed it with a broken fuse, and went for nice space-jog. Then, I hopped back in my beautiful trashcan to see this...

X7bPgHn.jpg

Boom, I didn't even notice the capsule's lights were off and the SAS was disabled. I used another fuse to pry open the screen for GCOS to see what was wrong. Nova System? What sort of nerd would name a emergency reboot system Nova? It was stuck on the this screen:

ERROR DETECTED...

SAS DISABLED...

GCOS SHUTTING DOWN...

NOVA SYSTEM ATTEMPTING TO RELOAD GCOS...

NOVA SYSTEM FAILURE - DATA BACKED UP TO BSDB

Well now here I am, stuck in space, and I am going to have to manually control and stabilize the world's most expensive trashcan. First, I will reroute my screen to the emergency Backup Save Data Bank so I can grab Bill's new operating system! Advance Spacecraft Interface, or ASCI 1, is a advanced version of a leaked CPM. It should let me reactivate everything, and chat with Bill.

Welcome to ASCI 1:

Reloading Capsule Systems...

SAS Error detected...

Systems successfully reloaded...

CPMb/ASCI_1/Guardian> send BK12 "Bill, SAS systems failed!"

SENDING MESSAGE...

MESSAGE FROM BK12: Hmm, I think the gyroscope got mes-

REENTRY IN 1 MINUTE

CPMb/ASCI_1/Guardian> gyrboot

SPINNING GYROSCOPE...

FAILURE DETECTED...

SPINNING GYROSCOPE...

C'mon C'mon! Please reload SAS so I live! Yeah, ASCI 1 is really good for emergencies, like this one... Oh god... We are reentering the atmosphere! "CONTROL COME IN!" I tried screaming, it was useless. I was flying a pressurized trashcan like it was a race car. If there is one thing I can do, is drift at higher speeds than one drifts in a KE86.

AhCCDVc.jpg

SPINNING GYROSCOPE...

FAILURE DETECTED

SPINNING GYROSCOPE...

SAS ACTIVE

YES! It reloaded SAS!  Now time to maneuver this bucket of bolts to blow up Control! Just kidding, were over 100 miles away if I remember. Time to lan- What the? why did I see the science module fly by... Oh shoot, the bay exploded, and I am still under extreme heat! Well let me blow up, or let me live ASCI!

CPMb/ASCI_1/Guardian> toggle shockwave_system/autodep

OVERRIDING AUTO PARACHUTE DEPLOYMENT...

DEPLOYING DROGUE PARACHUTES...

DEPLOYING MAIN PARACHUTE...

Well I would thank Bill for this one. I am turning up the manual frequency chart to get Control to my location. "Guardian to Mission Control, I've have splashed down and await recovery," I mumbled into the crackling radio. "What?!?! Nova System presumed you dead and on a escape trajectory! I am getting that Hayelle or whatever on the phone!" Gene screamed at my ears, he must have been invited for emergency control. It was the recruit that made Nova System though? Well she sucks at coding I guess. Ooh, the evacuation boys are here!

I couldn't combine the reentry events with the Collector 1 mission, so I made 1.5 to keep you people sane excited. I will combine Collector 1 events with Collector 2 events to make up for lost text in the chapter.

Edited by Casualnaut

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2017 at 9:14 PM, Casualnaut said:

YES! It reloaded SAS!  Now time to maneuver this bucket of bolts to blow up Control! Just kidding, were over 100 miles away if I remember   

Metric not statute please. Well in this storyline either Gene doesn't exist or he got fired or he got killed by Jeb or, the most likeliest scenario is that he, uh, is an idiot...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.