ISRO Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, MinimumSky5 said:

The lander was doing some very odd somersaults on the live telemetry, so I think that it was either a computer issue, or an engine failure. 

I noticed that too... they cut to it as it was tumbling, then cut away again.

Edited by purpleivan

Well... at least it was going a bit slower then Beresheet was...

I don't think they've officially said anything as they're waiting on data, but Vikram's fate seems all too obvious at this point...

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

There was something said just before the data was lost about "giving permision for the 2nd burn", so I guess the decent might not be entirely automated (i.e. without "permission" the engine might not restart).

If it is fully autonomous, there's at least a chance it made it down, but is out of contact... not holding out hope though.

Wonder what they can figure out about the failure, given the telemetry loss.

If everything was indeed nominal up to the data cutout---which I think is false---they might have little to go on. I assume it was using an omni antenna to the orbiter above, so spacecraft attitude should not have been a problem for comms, right?

Assuming it was in communication in an expected way, the sudden loss suggests a catastrophic failure, or a profound power loss.

If the antenna was directional, then an attitude issue could cause comms dropout (and also a crash).

The last telemetry on the screen we saw had it diverging from the ideal trajectory, but still inside the acceptable range (assuming that was the lines on either side).

Hopefully they have the data they need.

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Orbiter located and made a thermal image of the lander. Seems like it landed, but it's quiet. :o

They said hard landing I thought. They could release the image, I suppose.

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, tater said:

7 hours ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

Sorry but I had already posted an article on it