ISRO Discussion Thread

Yeah, although I had heard many times that youtube comment sections are some on the worst places, I had never seen anything "bad" in there. Some comment sections are filled with inconsequential "Who is watching this in...?" type of comments, but nothing inherently bad. That Scott Manley video was the first time I saw really messed up comments all over the place.

5 hours ago, Selective Genius said:

Scott Manley did a video on the Vikram crashlanding site, but the comments section is a racist, xenophobic dumpster fire so I am not linking it directly to the forum.

Meh, it's a comments section, who reads that crap, anyway? The video is actually decent. I only looked at the comments because of your statement... I read like the first 20-30 lines, didn't see anything (1000+ comments, no way I read that). 20-30 lines of comments is more than I have read on YT in a long, long time for anything.

Scott Manley's video reflects my sentiments.

I posted an answer to a Quora question, which reflected more on ISRO's struggles to engage the public.

Their issue is that, unlike NASA and ESA but more like the former Soviet Union, ISRO melds its military and scientific objectives. ISRO does not have to freely give information as NASA is mandated.

So there seems to be a "saving face" issue going on. A comment in my question from an Indian citizen or national also provides some perspective on why ISRO is reluctant to discuss matters as freely.

The sad part is that ISRO is really a great force of people. They put an orbiter around Mars on their first try. No one has their success record there.

1 hour ago, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

Scott Manley's video reflects my sentiments.

I posted an answer to a Quora question, which reflected more on ISRO's struggles to engage the public.

Their issue is that, unlike NASA and ESA but more like the former Soviet Union, ISRO melds its military and scientific objectives. ISRO does not have to freely give information as NASA is mandated.

So there seems to be a "saving face" issue going on. A comment in my question from an Indian citizen or national also provides some perspective on why ISRO is reluctant to discuss matters as freely.

The sad part is that ISRO is really a great force of people. They put an orbiter around Mars on their first try. No one has their success record there.

Good blog post, spot on.

I think that in the modern world, transparency is almost always the best option, since people are going to figure it out, anyway. If you are going to hype/broadcast the landing live, then you need to be prepared, warts and all. Look at the hydraulic failure on the F9 booster about a year ago. SpaceX cut the feed, and Musk right afterwards apologized, said they should not have done that, and promptly released the video. They show their work, warts and all---as did/does NASA (as you point out, ISRO is not mandated to do this).

On 11/27/2019 at 9:43 AM, scimas said:

The video coverage is always so bad man... Every time I hope they will get better, but they never do. They had actual footage of the fairing separation but chose to keep showing the people instead.

The video coverage is handled by a State-run media house "Doordarshan", not ISRO so yeah, the broadcasters dont know jack all about what to broadcast and what not to. ISRO doesnt get a lot of control over that.

Fun story: When the Chinese Premier Xi Jinping visited India, a "Doordarshan" commentator called him 'Eleven Xinping.' Because, well, 'Xi' is eleven in roman numerals :D

Also, do you know what "Doordarshan" means, literaly? It means 'Television', thats it.... Its like no one in India knows how to name things beyond the obvious...

Spoiler

ISRO intern: We made a vehicle capable of launching satelites! what do we name it?

ISRO Boss: Call it the 'Satellite Launch Vehicle"

Intern: Boss! We augmented the satellite launch vehicle to carry more payload to orbit. What do we call it?

Boss: Call it the 'Augmented Satellite Launch Vehicle.'

Intern: Boss, look at this. A new vehicles that launches satellites in polar orbit! What do we...

Boss: For the love of God get a hint! Call it 'Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle'!

Intern: Umm Boss? We designed a launch vehicle to place satellites in Geo Synchronous orbit! What do we..umm?

Boss:..............

Intern: Ok, got it... I guess we will call it the ' Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle '..

Intern: BOSS! WE DID IT! WE FINALLY DESIGNED A ROCKET WHICH IS NOT A KERBAL NIGHTMARE! What do we call it?

Boss: What does the launch vehicle do?

Intern: Places satellites in geo-synchronous orb... Ugh sure, we will call this one GSLV as well.. Might add 'Mk3' at the end..

------------

Intern: Boss? Boss? We have planned to launch an orbiter to moon, Should we call it the 'Moon Craft' (Chandra yaan)?

Boss: Now you are learning!

Intern: Boss! After lots of consideration, we have decided to name our mars orbiter 'Mars Craft' (Mangal yaan)!

Boss: Very good! Remind me to give you a raise!

Intern: And by the way, we decided to name the manned orbital mission 'Space Craft'? Is that okay?

Boss: Yeah su...wait! A crewed mission in space is a monumental achievement! Let's not take it lightly! The name should be grand, awe inspiring and should promote science and technology in our country for years to come! We will name it <drum roll> "SKY CRAFT!" (Gagan yaan).

Intern: Dude, isnt every airplane technically a 'Sky Craft'? Let's stick with 'Space craft', shall we? After all, this WILL go to orbit, in space!

Intern 2: You know, technically, the ISS is still in the Earth's atmosphere.. i mean they have to reboost it every once in a while because of the atmospheric drag.

Boss: THANK YOU! See? Learn from intern 2, you guys! Let's name it "SKY CRAFT" (Gagan yaan)!

Edited by Selective Genius

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2019 at 7:10 AM, Selective Genius said:

Its like no one in India knows how to name things beyond the obvious...

Reveal hidden contents

ISRO intern: We made a vehicle capable of launching satelites! what do we name it?

ISRO Boss: Call it the 'Satellite Launch Vehicle"

Intern: Boss! We augmented the satellite launch vehicle to carry more payload to orbit. What do we call it?

Boss: Call it the 'Augmented Satellite Launch Vehicle.'

Intern: Boss, look at this. A new vehicles that launches satellites in polar orbit! What do we...

Boss: For the love of God get a hint! Call it 'Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle'!

Intern: Umm Boss? We designed a launch vehicle to place satellites in Geo Synchronous orbit! What do we..umm?

Boss:..............

Intern: Ok, got it... I guess we will call it the ' Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle '..

Intern: BOSS! WE DID IT! WE FINALLY DESIGNED A ROCKET WHICH IS NOT A KERBAL NIGHTMARE! What do we call it?

Boss: What does the launch vehicle do?

Intern: Places satellites in geo-synchronous orb... Ugh sure, we will call this one GSLV as well.. Might add 'Mk3' at the end..

------------

Intern: Boss? Boss? We have planned to launch an orbiter to moon, Should we call it the 'Moon Craft' (Chandra yaan)?

Boss: Now you are learning!

Intern: Boss! After lots of consideration, we have decided to name our mars orbiter 'Mars Craft' (Mangal yaan)!

Boss: Very good! Remind me to give you a raise!

Intern: And by the way, we decided to name the manned orbital mission 'Space Craft'? Is that okay?

Boss: Yeah su...wait! A crewed mission in space is a monumental achievement! Let's not take it lightly! The name should be grand, awe inspiring and should promote science and technology in our country for years to come! We will name it <drum roll> "SKY CRAFT!" (Gagan yaan).

Intern: Dude, isnt every airplane technically a 'Sky Craft'? Let's stick with 'Space craft', shall we? After all, this WILL go to orbit, in space!

Intern 2: You know, technically, the ISS is still in the Earth's atmosphere.. i mean they have to reboost it every once in a while because of the atmospheric drag.

Boss: THANK YOU! See? Learn from intern 2, you guys! Let's name it "SKY CRAFT" (Gagan yaan)!

*glances at uncrewed Soviet/Russian probes*

4 hours ago, DDE said:

Fedor is holding someone's beer.

AAAAAAH

WHY do you have to make these things look like that?! What's wrong with just a mannequin?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, well, well...

The human spaceflight program of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), called  Gaganyaan, received only about 30% of the funds sought by the  according to the Times of India. ISRO said it will find a way around the low budget, but details were not provided in the news report.

The 2020-21 budgetary estimate for Gaganyaan is 4,257 crore (about $639 million), with this figure representing about a third of ISRO's overall budget. The actual amount the agency is allocated so far for human spaceflight, however, is 1,200 crore ($180.3 million).

While the impact to Gaganyaan is unknown, ISRO has said it will cost about 10,000 crore ($1.5 billion) to launch Gaganyaan before Aug. 15, 2022, which is Independence Day in India. In general, human spaceflight programs often deal with reduced budgets in one of two ways: by delaying launches or by making cutbacks within the program to allocate the lesser funding received.

Now I'm wondering... could this partly be the consequence of the Ministry of Defense's needs? The MiG-27s are now out of service, but the Jaguar and Bison are costly in maintenance, as well as the Su-30MKI. While the navy benefits from a high budget for the development of its SSBNs. In addition, the BJP (in power since 2014) does not necessarily place space adventure among its priorities.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Launch is scheduled tomorrow at 1024 Hrs IST.

Just to be clear - 28 Feb 13:54 UTC +9, 28 Feb 11:54 UTC +7, 28 Feb 10:24 UTC +5:30, 28 Feb 4:54 UTC, 27 Feb 11:54 PM EST (UTC -5), 27 Feb 8:54 PM PST (UTC -8).

EDIT : Crap, shoot and amiss. Missed it.

Edited by YNM

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently, ISRO tested the SS-1 stage of the SSLV, and there was an anomaly. No one knows whats going on though.  One reddit user took daily images of the 6C test facility of ISRO from the SENTINEL satellites and made a gif.

Just one media house has reported this anomaly so far, and it appears that something went wrong with the nozzle of the rocket motor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...