Reliable Stock Colonies?

So in the somewhat future of my Higher Paths - A career story, I want to launch a colony to so I can have a dramatic disaster sequence  nice way of earning science and money. I want it to be nice for any sort of interplanetary travel, and also look industrial; so does anybody have some good advice on building one?

Edited by Casualnaut

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

I never built a colony. But make sure you have anything so it can self-sustain without frequent supplies all the time.

Well that is sort of the purpose of naming it a colony. A self supporting base really... 

8 minutes ago, Casualnaut said:

Well that is sort of the purpose of naming it a colony. A self supporting base really... 

Yup. And alot of space, for Kerbals/people to grow up in. I do not like spending my time in a puny capsule all day long. :wink:

33 minutes ago, sardaukar11 said:

i think roverdude has a mod for colonies, but i think its is more for surfac based colonies (they look more modular/square)

There are parts for both orbital and surface colonies: the square-ish parts and just as many cylindrical parts. MKS used to be two separate mods, one for each situation, but they combined a long time ago.

if its stock, then ithere is no life support, everything is self sustaining... so just a bundle of hitchhikers, and maybe an ISRU + drills to supply fuel.

Soooo... here's a 100% stock 2 kerbal "colony"

JBM98Qi.png

Also 100% stock, maybe more what you're asking for:

OENuo74.png

1aPSPuF.png

CpZQ8JO.png

but all the bases I'm making now use the TAC life support mod and Kerbal Planetary Base Systems:

jNCY8La.png

Spoiler

nTX6baf.png

NQaegvp.png

It really depends what bodie you want to build it on. If it's on the Mun or minmus then you can muck about with Ion SSTO's, and generally focus more on aesthetics, while anything larger than Duna and you have to focus on ore mining to get anywhere near self sufficient fuel wise.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.