Petition to include all 2013 purchases for free DLC

CjStaal

PETITION TO INCLUDE ALL OF 2013 FOR FREE DLC!  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Should all of 2013 be allowed the free DLC?

• YES
    • NO
    • Include to August 2013

First the fact. I'm out of the date by 15 hours (sucks to be me). I bought the game 1st of May. It took me a few days to play the demo and decide I wanted this game.

Later I found that the final date for free DLC was 30th April. I just didn’t read that on time,

So no. We are not entitled to receive extra goodies. We were informed BEFORE the final date that purchases after that date were not covered by that. And while I secretly whish that I get free DLC I know I’m out of the deadline and therefore I cannot ask for anything extra for free.

Even more, they said in April 2013 that if they even release a DLC I would NOT be receiving them for free. So I’m not surprised that they are saying the same thing now.

Am I’m angry?, of course. But never with Squad, since they were honest about the date, It was that I just didn’t read it on time. So I blame my luck, not Squad.

Do I feel that I am entitled to receive the DLC free? No. Even taking into account Mexican hours (I’m from Spain) I was out of the deadline by about 10 hours. Plain and simple. They set the deadline before the end, they were honest. I just didn’t read it on time. My bad.

Do I want to receive free DLC? Of course. Who wouldn’t? but I also would want to win the lottery without even buying a ticket. It is nothing more than a wish. If they ever decide to include me I would thank them, It would be a nice gift. But It would be a GIFT, not something they are obliged to do in any way.

I do not consider that we are entitled to ask for anything extra for free. Specially for one of the games with the lower $/hour I have spent (less than 5 cents/hour according to steam)

Edited by KaiserSoze
mispelling

Oh noooo, what is this? Petitioning for free stuff? 

Dont get me wrong, I want free stuff, I want the DLC for free (Im only just not eligible).

I also want a BMW M3, a pilots license, liquid cash is always welcome natch, I'd like a big house with a garden that isnt too far from London and most of all I want to know when is the best time to get into the virtual reality market.

But I also know that petitioning for any of those things would be quite....I'll just go with "ineffective".

I wont' even touch on what I would call any discussion on why I should be entitled to those things.

Plz stahp.

10 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Please do not make the discussions personal.

Honestly, is there anything else left?

The poll results are pretty clear.  Squad's position has been repeatedly stated.  The facts leading to their position have been laid out.  The OP has been silent for a significant time.  Unless someone from Squad or TTI's PR teams has something to add, there's not much else to say.

Just an observation maybe?

Forum blowups, great derp, SQUAD and Dev's trying to perform balancing acts on thin lines to not upset their delicate community, that had to be handled with kid gloves?

At least that's what it looks like to me reading this thread, I'm glad I wasn't around back then and missed all of that...

45 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

Just an observation maybe?

Forum blowups, great derp, SQUAD and Dev's trying to perform balancing acts on thin lines to not upset their delicate community, that had to be handled with kid gloves?

At least that's what it looks like to me reading this thread, I'm glad I wasn't around back then and missed all of that...

ex humili magna ad fastigia rerum extollit, quoties voluit fortuna jocari

Fortune must be having a laugh right now.

On 6/6/2017 at 1:21 AM, Kestonian said:

I got it on Feb 14 2013 before I knew I got free stuff. I LOVE this game!

I got it in December 2013 (and voted No, obviously).  I USED to think I loved this game.

But you've definitely beaten me by marrying buying it on St. Valentine's day!

Edited by Pecan

dose this sound like 'i want free stuff and dont want to support the developers of this game because the fact they have patched several times FOR FREE after its official release isint enough'

im all for people giving free stuff, but whining when someone else gets something for free and you dont.....

I see no need.  I bought the game in 2013 but missed the cut-off and I don't feel like it's unfair.  I didn't buy KSP to get something for free, I bought it because it was fun!  Not a lot of games have given me this much value for my money and I'm not even a hardcore player like some of you folks.

20 hours ago, Dizzle said:
20 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

This thread was closed for a while as we did some clean up. Please do not make the discussions personal. 

This is all your fault.

I'm laughing imagining the various possible reactions @Vanamonde might be having after reading this. :sticktongue:

When is the DLC even going to be released anyway? Seems like Squad updates semi-annually so probably then. Maybe Take Two will speed it up, probably so because they want that DLC to roll out as soon as possible. Probably going to price at $19.99 then roll out the micro-transactions.

While I won't call you a cheapskate (hell no point in not asking, because if TT breaks the agreement (if there is any written contract anyway), in which is totally able to do so, and I would think Squad would be powerless to enforce it, a lot more of these 'petitions' will spring up, from the ones who will get it free despite that they would gladly pay for the expansion.) if you really need a DLC that amounts to some historical parts, and what is basically challenge mode integration, then I think you reached your maximum amount of play time you can withstand (1.3 update was disastrous as retention update, as it basically added nothing for current KSP players that didn't need localization, and bug fixing isn't really a feature more than it is mandatory. Compared to 1.2 which added a huge feature that added dozens of hours of feautres). You really don't need the DLC because it won't be much, there are plenty of mods that can cover the historical parts. Squad is hyping it, especially the mission builder, but all I think it's just scenarios with an editor, it will probably lose it's novelty.

We'll have to see what the integration of KSP into TT will do to the game. Personally, I think the deal was the reason 1.3 was a "localization" update because TT wouldn't accept KSP as an English only game, so Squad basically halted all features that speculated to be up coming, then they sold it off.  Honestly, after the main developers left, I don't really have a strong attachment to it anymore, those developers gave me all of those hundreds of hours of fun time, but they are gone now, and I doubt TT is going to provide that same value. Personally, I think TT is going to hire on all the major modders, which will make them strain on updating their addons, slowly and graudally wither the modding scene away. Hopefully, I am wrong. But TT doesn't have much in the way of monetization for this game.

Best outcome for them is a entirely new game.

7 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Hey @TheRag where did they say anything about pricing or micro transactions? 

Time 8:26:15

Just mere speculation on my part, but the CEO of Take Two said that they were undermonetazing their content. Don't know if it applies to KSP.

9 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

@TheRag I forget where i saw it but i believe squads made no mention of MTs other than shooting the idea down. 

Time 9:44:43

true, but again they where just bought out, they aren't in charge any more. but also its hard to implement micro transactions into this game....

Edited by Frybert

5 hours ago, TheRag said:

When is the DLC even going to be released anyway? Seems like Squad updates semi-annually so probably then. Maybe Take Two will speed it up, probably so because they want that DLC to roll out as soon as possible. Probably going to price at $19.99 then roll out the micro-transactions.

TT mentioned in their takeover statement that the History Expansion would come this year.

While I won't call you a cheapskate (hell no point in not asking, because if TT breaks the agreement (if there is any written contract anyway), in which is totally able to do so, and I would think Squad would be powerless to enforce it, a lot more of these 'petitions' will spring up, from the ones who will get it free despite that they would gladly pay for the expansion.) if you really need a DLC that amounts to some historical parts, and what is basically challenge mode integration, then I think you reached your maximum amount of play time you can withstand (1.3 update was disastrous as retention update, as it basically added nothing for current KSP players that didn't need localization, and bug fixing isn't really a feature more than it is mandatory. Compared to 1.2 which added a huge feature that added dozens of hours of feautres). You really don't need the DLC because it won't be much, there are plenty of mods that can cover the historical parts. Squad is hyping it, especially the mission builder, but all I think it's just scenarios with an editor, it will probably lose it's novelty.

We'll have to see what the integration of KSP into TT will do to the game. Personally, I think the deal was the reason 1.3 was a "localization" update because TT wouldn't accept KSP as an English only game, so Squad basically halted all features that speculated to be up coming, then they sold it off.  Honestly, after the main developers left, I don't really have a strong attachment to it anymore, those developers gave me all of those hundreds of hours of fun time, but they are gone now, and I doubt TT is going to provide that same value. Personally, I think TT is going to hire on all the major modders, which will make them strain on updating their addons, slowly and graudally wither the modding scene away. Hopefully, I am wrong. But TT doesn't have much in the way of monetization for this game.

So much fear, so little foundation...

As for 'the deal', I think the decision to sell the Kerbal franchise was made long ago, most probably when SQUAD found that the console port was more then they could chew. No company would have bought it at that moment for 'a good price' from SQUAD back then with FTE still in the picture and no foresight of it getting better. No company would want to buy it when it had 'open ends' that only brings work and trouble. So they first needed to ditch FTE and get a new port by a respectable company in the works. In the mean time KSP development went in to 'maintenance' and 'added resale value' (localization) mode so to make it, A. more attractive to TT, an B. to get as much money out of selling it.
These deals are not made in a few weeks time, the terms were probably set long ago, there just had to be some work to be done before they could make it happen.

Another reason that might have contributed for SQUAD to sell the franchise is the vocal and demanding 'community' which needs/needed constant attention.

Best outcome for them is a entirely new game.

Not 'a' new game, 'many' new Kerbal franchise games, that's where the money is. Might be microtransactions in those new games en genres. 

Surely micro transactions only work on flashly content like poker machines and candy crush that plays on people with addictive personalities?

(To fair they also work when used as a pay what you think it's worth system.)

Seems like it would be an incredibly bad way to leverage an asset like Kerbals. All you'll do is trash the brand which isn't exactly a good thing to do for investment return. I'm even at high warp Kerbals is not exactly action-packed (this is a compliment, not a negative).

As much as I'd like to see KSP overhauled into KSP2.0. I'd think there is a better return taking Kerbalness to other games that can take the builder/experimenter mechanic to broader or different audiences.

NOOOOOO I DONT WANT MICROTRANSACTIONS!!!! WHY WOULD SQUAD DO THAT TO US!!!!

Good thing they have never, ever been considered for KSP then and all mention of microtransactions is the barest speculation based on nothing.

On 6/8/2017 at 7:25 AM, mattinoz said:

Surely micro transactions only work on ... people with addictive personalities?

Addictive?  3,000+ hours in KSP (and a smoker).  Please don't go there ^^.

See that price for fuel ... what if it became real?

In the UK, a cinema ticket can costs in the region of £6 per hour. That seems a reasonable evaluation of the price of entertainment.

In the UK, university fees cost upwards of £9000 a year, which pays for approximately 20 hours of lectures and tutorials per week for 40 weeks of the year (based on personal experience). Erring on the side of caution (YMMV), that comes to about £100 per hour for university-level education.

KSP, an amalgam of recreational entertainment and higher-level education, comes in at 3000 hours logged so far, for the retail price of £18... that's £0.006 per hour, and decreasing.

So what's the fuss about again?

Edited by The_Rocketeer

9 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

So what's the fuss about again?

The fuss is that someone out there is going to get the DLC for free (hint: it's me) while OP is not.

32 minutes ago, regex said:

The fuss is that someone out there is going to get the DLC for free (hint: it's me) while OP is not.

...I guess something about rhetoric gets lost in translation. Thanks for being a sport regex, but it should have been obvious that a) I know that and b) I'm belittling the fuss because by two separate metrics this software product is outrageously good value for money even when you do have to pay for it.

23 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

...I guess something about rhetoric gets lost in translation. Thanks for being a sport regex, but it should have been obvious that a) I know that and b) I'm belittling the fuss because by two separate metrics this software product is outrageously good value for money even when you do have to pay for it.

Good lord, remind me to never make a joke playing off one of your posts again. :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.