Petition to include all 2013 purchases for free DLC

CjStaal

PETITION TO INCLUDE ALL OF 2013 FOR FREE DLC!  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Should all of 2013 be allowed the free DLC?

• YES
    • NO
    • Include to August 2013

KSP's popularity/sale spike happened right after May of 2013. Which is why they're choosing to give the DLC away for free for the people who purchased before that date. It is false goodwill. The people who bought after that in 2013 are the ones they got the most money from when they needed money the most. Because of this, all 2013 purchasers should also be included for the free DLC.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Just say no to all caps titles.

Just now, Casualnaut said:

Listen man, they are including the DLC for the people who were with them since the start of KSP.

Yes. I was here since the beginning. June 2013. That's when popularity spiked. 

Just now, Casualnaut said:

No no no no, were talking 2011 peeps.

Well then they should have cut off at the end of 2011. But that would liquid off too many people. The fact is right after May is when they started making the most money/getting the most customers, so they don't want to include them. 

Just now, CjStaal said:

The deadline has been set, it won't be changing.

They move it for you, and then next thing they have to bump it to 2014 for someone else, and then 2015...etc...

Consider this your chance to to show your support again by purchasing the DLC's.

Just now, Rocket In My Pocket said:

The deadline has been set, it won't be changing.

They move it for you, and then next thing they have to bump it to 2014 for someone else, and then 2015...etc...

Consider this your chance to to show your support again by purchasing the DLC's.

I'm not purchasing anything anymore. This is all false goodwill that's screwing the people who supported them when they needed it. Plus after people buy DLC then they'll push more and add microtransactions. "100 Maneuver nodes for just 39.99!"

Let me guess, you bought in May 2013...

3 minutes ago, CjStaal said:

KSP's popularity/sale spike happened right after May of 2013. Which is why they're choosing to give the DLC away for free for the people who purchased before that date.

You just exactly pointed out why this is a bad idea. They're rewarding the people who were there before it was cool, the people who there when water had colliders. To have them extend this makes no sense.

For the record, I bought February 2014, and would gladly pay for Making History several times over, the game absolutely deserves it.

1 minute ago, CjStaal said:

I'm not purchasing anything anymore. This is all false goodwill that's screwing the people who supported them when they needed it. Plus after people buy DLC then they'll push more and add microtransactions. "100 Maneuver nodes for just 39.99!"

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, and I encourage you to vote with your wallet (for all the good it will do you.)

For the record I'm not getting any free DLC either, and that's fine. SQUAD makes a good product for a fair price, I don't expect any hand outs.

3 minutes ago, CjStaal said:

The DLC is not compulsory to buy, so I don't see why you need to kick up a fuss. Also, there are plenty of mod parts that you can get for free that are similar to the ones in the DLC

Personally I think anyone who helped them by testing their product while it was in early access should get it (before April 27th , 2015).  But it doesn't really matter much to me, I'm not that concerned about it.

Edited by Alshain

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

Personally I think anyone who helped them by testing their product while it was in early access should get it.  But I already get it free, so maybe I'm not one to talk.

Exactly. 

15 minutes ago, CjStaal said:

KSP's popularity/sale spike happened right after May of 2013. Which is why they're choosing to give the DLC away for free for the people who purchased before that date. It is false goodwill. The people who bought after that in 2013 are the ones they got the most money from when they needed money the most. Because of this, all 2013 purchasers should also be included for the free DLC.

Eat lunch at home one day. Or have a couple fewer girly coffees (any that include flavors/ingredients other than "coffee") for a month. Or get a job if you don't have one.

So, "no."

Edited by tater

2 minutes ago, CjStaal said:

Which is why they're choosing to give the DLC away for free for the people who purchased before that date. 

No. Early on, the promise was made that KSP was sold on a "pay once" basis, and that you'd never had to pay for any expansion/upgrade.

That promise was dropped and changed for and "only upgrades are free" model, implicitly stating that expansions are not. The original agreement was honored for those who bought the game under the early promise and changed with a generous cut-off date (generous towards customers).

Those who bought the game after May 2013 never had that expectation and it would be silly to expand the offer to them. They bought the game fully aware (or at least could have been aware) that Squad could charge for expansions.

It should also be noticed that Squad continued to considerably upgrade the game, instead of declaring it "finished" on that date and releasing further updates as "expansions," so it's hard to claim foul play in that respect as well. One might argue that the "finished" we got was far less than the "finished" most of us expected, but looking back I feel far from short-changed and it is my expectation to see future 1.4, 1.5, etc releases in which many features will be improved, albeit not added; I don't expect multiplayer or ringed planets. But I would not be surprised over ever imrpoved aero models, driving and sailing, for instance.

16 minutes ago, CjStaal said:

KSP's popularity/sale spike happened right after May of 2013. Which is why they're choosing to give the DLC away for free for the people who purchased before that date. It is false goodwill.

None of this is correct. Read the announcement, published in April 2013.

Also, for those considering purchasing the game, we will maintain this promise for all purchases made until the end of this month (April, 2013). 

*sigh* It's this type of baseless complaining that led to  Squad having to make that promise in the first place. 

1 minute ago, tater said:

Eat lunch at home one day. Or have a couple fewer girly coffees (any that include flavors/ingredients other than "coffee") for a month. Or get a job if you don't have one.

So, "no."

I make mucccch more than enough money to purchase it. But it's the principle of it. We all helped test the game in early access. We were the QC team basically. Found bugs and reported them. Dealt with random crashes. And so much more. We should be rewarded for that. At Least everyone before .5

15 minutes ago, CjStaal said:

That's like saying you've been using Windows right from the first version, Windows XP.

2 minutes ago, CjStaal said:

I make mucccch more than enough money to purchase it. But it's the principle of it. We all helped test the game in early access. We were the QC team basically. Found bugs and reported them. Dealt with random crashes. And so much more. We should be rewarded for that. At Least everyone before .5

You will also remember that the game was much, much cheaper (even free!) back then. We got a significant discount from Squad, so there's your reward.

@CjStaal did you read the announcement I linked to you earlier? Here it is again, in case you missed it. Do you understand now why the April 2013 date was chosen?

As for your next point:

We should be rewarded

One could argue that you have already been rewarded, since you got the game cheaper than full price, and you got to play around with it for a considerable time before release.

4 minutes ago, CjStaal said:

No one has that as a reasonable expectation as it was never promised.

I purchased KSP September of 2013 at a discount, this game has given more enjoyment than games I have purchased for $60. Game development takes time and money, and I plan on supporting squad with DLC purchases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.