Petition to include all 2013 purchases for free DLC

CjStaal

PETITION TO INCLUDE ALL OF 2013 FOR FREE DLC!  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Should all of 2013 be allowed the free DLC?

• YES
    • NO
    • Include to August 2013

What's wrong with GTV 5 again?  I played it all the way through once, and seemed okay to me...

Put KSP in another folder and play it that way forever, for free. gawd.  I still play mostlyan old version...

<snip>

Don't want to give Take Two any money, don't, big deal. Simple really. Have fun conquering the castle.

Edited by Deddly

The complainers aren't worried that mods will be 'banned', they are worried about being forced to paid for mods. I wonder how many of them actually donate money to the modders that ask for donations. I've lost track of how much money I've donated to modders, and I only use a handful of mods. It's a lot more than anything KSP can charge in a DLC.  Modders work hard on these things in their spare time and I have no trouble donating money to compensate them.  Modders don't have to do what the do.  I really, REALLY don't understand what's wrong with paid DLC.  It's been around since the beginning of PC games practically, only it was sold at stores on CDs as 'addons' and I only heard a few complaints. 

This "Everything should be free" thing is a BAD bushiness model. If you want KSP to go bye bye, then think that way.  I don't come from a software background, but my family owns an amusement ride manufacturing company and a small amusement park (And as the eldest grandson of the founder,  I wear many hats in it as in all small family owned companies).  While it's good business to give free things away once and a while to build up good faith, or replace something for free if it's your fault it needs replacing, giving everything away for free is a recipe for disaster, and a very bad business model.  And we wouldn't be celebrating our 70th year next year if we did what these <people> complaining about having to pay for DLC want- nothing but free stuff.  If one of our carousels needs repainting, we repaint it.  We'll ask for a reasonable price to do so though, knowing that if we ask for too much, they will find another company to paint it for them. If we gave them a 'free dlc upgrade' for free, we would go bankrupt very shortly.  Our time is valuable, we can't afford to give away everything for free.

Vote with your wallet.  Read reviews. If the DLC doesn't seem like something you want, or there are a lot of bad reviews, DON'T BUY IT.  Nobody is making you pay for microtransactions, you are doing it all on your own, and that makes it profitable.  Hell, the top 100 money making apps are all free games with microtransactions.  If our company did make software I'd be jumping on that bandwagon too.  If you don't want microtransactions (which I hate by the way and I won't play a game that has them) then stop paying for them.  I guarantee you the company will adopt a different 'better' business model.  Some of you make these guys out to be greedy monsters, when they just want to put food on their family's table and send their kids through college like the rest of you.  As for paying for DLC, I really, really don't understand what the problem is (I've said that twice now). At this point I think they deserve the money, I've spent so many thousands of hours playing KSP.  I'll buy it even if I don't use it.  If you don't want it don't buy it.  In my previous post I mentioned I played through GTV 5 once, loved it, got my money out of it and went on.  Everyone is saying it's ruined. No it's not, I never played with mods.  Heck somebody posted a thing on Steams Summer Sale for KSP "Don't buy this game it's BROKEN, because they are going to blah blah blah, paranoid conspiracy rant".  How is KSP broken NOW???  Save it to another folder. that doesn't up date it.  I don't know how many different old versions of KSP I still have, all the way back to January 1, 2014 when I bought it, and why I'm vehemently against the OP.  They said April 2013 was the cut off date, April 2013 should be the cut off date.  Make it December 31, 2013 arbitrarily and I'll be liquided.  Well, actually I won't be because it's the best money I've ever spent on a game.  Thousands of hours of fun for a hand full of cash... 

If Take Two ruins KSP, they are idiots, which they very well may be, but I'll still be playing my old saves with the old mods...  Hell I go to GOG to pay for games I played 25 yeas ago.

And I'm rambling, so I'll stop.

Edited by Deddly

What those calling for an extension to the 'cut off' date of 30th April 2013 seem to not realise (or quite possibly choose not to realise) is that the date was not just arbitrarily picked at random.  The date is what it is due to the, often repeated, circumstances at the time.

Squad realised their wording was open to misunderstanding, so they clarified their intent and gave all those that bought before that time the 'benefit of the doubt' with a 'grace period' (up to the cut off date) to give those considering purchasing the opportunity to do so before the 'new rules' took effect.  That to me seems perfectly fair, reasonable and above board.

Some were lucky and bought before the situation even arose, some were fortunate enough to be able to purchase in the 'grace period' before the end date, some  chose not to, some were unlucky and unable to purchase at that time, and others simply didn't discover the game until after the deadline, but that's life.

On 6/5/2017 at 2:42 PM, CjStaal said:

I'm not purchasing anything anymore. This is all false goodwill that's screwing the people who supported them when they needed it. Plus after people buy DLC then they'll push more and add microtransactions. "100 Maneuver nodes for just 39.99!"

I used to be in your side man. I did. But I trust this company. They aren't the large developers like ea or Ubisoft, and this game is not optimized for a micro transaction economy, nor does the nature of the game allow people who pay to receive these expansion packs to have an unfair advantage, since the game in itself is not a competitive game, unless you count challenges. 

The expansions are simply adding an aspect of the game that doesn't exactly fit with the main game, like making history, it's adding an entire new campaign system that allows you to follow historic spaceflight missions, it's a more educational, and doesn't add much to the game as a whole. It's a fun little side piece, and optional part of the game, that yes you can get as a mod, but being developed by the games developers, can help it become a more enjoyable experience. 

And they aren't charging you for any future updates, they have stated that they will keep that promise. So any major updates, like a 1.4 onward, that adds new content the developers have intended for the entire game and community will be free for you.

now look I've been with this game since 2011-12, and bought it when the .14 update came out, changing the game from a free to play demo, to a $10.00 work in progress. At this point, the game is now worth $24.99 on steam. The game has more than doubled in price since I first bought it back when I was a freshmen in high school. Even if they didn't want to make all the expansions free for the portion that got the game when I did, I'd gladly pay extra for the expansions that interest me. 

And this is where my argument comes into play. Expansions are optional. Nobody has to buy them, they are an optional part of the game that is available to those who want something that the developers don't feel would warant an entire update to implement. Like a making history update. Adding little parts to the game that are built for smaller parts of the community, and as a bonus make a little extra money. Hey aren't trying to Dead Space 3 us, they are putting genuine effort into this. And the fact that they are offering them free to anyone shows how much they care for their audience. But it must be a balanced. If they only focused on keeping the community happy, the game would still be free, it would never have made a cent for Squad, and I'm certain would not be at the development stage it is if they didn't at one point say. We need to start making money from this. This is another point in the development where they have a large enough audience, they can branch out, and build these expansions designed around targeting smaller groups within it, while optimizing the game to continue to grow the audience. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.