Car Eco Challenge

Look what you made me do!

ididntmakethis.jpg

When I was a child, I would sit at my window on rainy saturday afternoons and doodle sketches and diagrams of supercars. My fondest wish was that one day I'd be a car designer.

Pretty glad I ended up as a programmer.

On 5-6-2017 at 10:32 PM, Azimech said:

Rover wheels are not allowed, only landing gear.

I h8u...<_<

No problem, replacing wheels with paperclips....:wink:

@qzgy I know that, I just needed a rolling chassis to show the headlights worked. :blush:

5 minutes ago, whoshotdk said:

ididntmakethis.jpg

When I was a child, I would sit at my window on rainy saturday afternoons and doodle sketches and diagrams of supercars. My fondest wish was that one day I'd be a car designer.

I'd love to learn to code ... someday. There are KSP mods inside my head ... and they can't get out!

Edit: That's a fine little machine you've got there!

Edited by Azimech

2 minutes ago, scottadges said:

I have some time so - challenge accepted!

Can you clarify what a 'boost flap' is? Just not sure which part you're referring to there.

Thing that blocks engine thrust, but is toggle-able to stop thetime needed for the junos to spool up. @Azimech might have a better explanation...

Just now, scottadges said:

I have some time so - challenge accepted!

Can you clarify what a 'boost flap' is? Just not sure which part you're referring to there.

It's a control surface which is deployed when you activate the brake and/or action group (I choose AG2), moving directly in the thrust vector of the jet engine, thereby blocking all thrust while keeping the jet running at full speed. Very useful for racing cars because it allows fast braking and acceleration. If it's useful in an eco challenge ... probably not but you have the freedom to use them.

To see it in action, you could download one of my cars.
https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--1969-Charger-RT-32
https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--1968-Mustang-Fastback-10

So I've built & tested my car and actually ran for about 20 minutes (until a bumpy hill blew off my fuel tank...) so before I try again, I thought I'd request a ruling on my car design to make sure it passes muster. I believe I'm hitting all the specs, but please let me know otherwise.

For reference, 90% of the parts used here are the Bargain Rocket Parts, including the probe core (iPhone), batteries (spuds-with-wires), fuel tank (garbage can with 50 units), and head/tail lights (desk lamps). The car body panels are actually the plywood ladders and the roof is cardboard-box-with-magnet-taped-to-it that acts as a docking port. The twin Lava Lamps are the science experiments.

Hopefully using a mod like this doesn't disqualify my car?

jao51ka.jpgknqunF9.jpg

The gantry unit behind it is just to get the 4 Kerbals onto the car. The car undocks and the command pod raises up (retractable legs in the housings) to give good clearance when driving away.

Edited by scottadges

28 minutes ago, scottadges said:

So I've built & tested my car and actually ran for about 20 minutes (until a bumpy hill blew off my fuel tank...) so before I try again, I thought I'd request a ruling on my car design to make sure it passes muster. I believe I'm hitting all the specs, but please let me know otherwise.

For reference, 90% of the parts used here are the Bargain Rocket Parts, including the probe core (iPhone), batteries (spuds-with-wires), fuel tank (garbage can with 50 units), and head/tail lights (desk lamps). The car body panels are actually the plywood ladders and the roof is cardboard-box-with-magnet-taped-to-it that acts as a docking port. The twin Lava Lamps are the science experiments.

jao51ka.jpgknqunF9.jpg

The gantry unit behind it is just to get the 4 Kerbals onto the car. The car undocks and the command pod raises up (retractable legs in the housings) to give good clearance when driving away.

I really shouldn't be doing this, as Azimech is the challenge moderator, but...

Don't you need a science container, or 2. Those differ from science experiments. They are the big white container things.

9 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I really shouldn't be doing this, as Azimech is the challenge moderator, but...

Don't you need a science container, or 2. Those differ from science experiments. They are the big white container things.

Ah, I see.. I don't really use those so I thought the Lava Lamps (science experiments) would be the same. But I see your point.

1 hour ago, scottadges said:

It's a nice car, it really is :-)

Unfortunately ... using stock parts is the only guarantee all parts have the same drag values, to prevent others having a disadvantage.
So respectfully, I must decline. But put it on KerbalX!

1 minute ago, mrmcp1 said:

@Azimech just checking if my entry is allowed 

2k0sIH8.png

This challenge actually seems harder than the kerbal dakar in terms of the vehicle design 

It looks allright.

Might even be possible to lose some weight :-)

10 hours ago, Azimech said:

Unfortunately ... using stock parts is the only guarantee all parts have the same drag values, to prevent others having a disadvantage.

That's totally cool, and definitely understand. Maybe I'll work on a stock parts one, too!

My entry, It wasn't originally made for the challenge. But it works.   (Uploaded on my KerbalX account: https://kerbalx.com/Dexter_Nexter/DX-Motor-Co-771-----1983-SWR-Sprinter ) ( I don't think azimech knows about my KSP forum account)mp80osKh.png

oz3dve1h.pngtl6OQMIh.png

Edited by The Moose In Your House

21 minutes ago, The Moose In Your House said:

My entry, It wasn't originally made for the challenge. But it works.   (Uploaded on my KerbalX account: https://kerbalx.com/Dexter_Nexter/DX-Motor-Co-771-----1983-SWR-Sprinter ) ( I don't think azimech knows about my KSP forum account)mp80osKh.png

oz3dve1h.pngtl6OQMIh.png

To be honest ... despite the fact your car has rover wheels instead of landing gear, it wouldn't stand a chance in a economy challenge ... it's way too draggy and heavy.
You'd need to build something from the ground up.

13 minutes ago, Azimech said:

To be honest ... despite the fact your car has rover wheels instead of landing gear, it wouldn't stand a chance in a economy challenge ... it's way too draggy and heavy.
You'd need to build something from the ground up.

My Economy version, Can drive like a monowheel, but can fly as well. The elevon doesn't move, just keeps the craft balanced. (can be modified for kerbal use)

Edited by The Moose In Your House

14 hours ago, The Moose In Your House said:

My Economy version, Can drive like a monowheel, but can fly as well. The elevon doesn't move, just keeps the craft balanced. (can be modified for kerbal use)

I think you might want to read the rules section again.

Edited by Azimech

On 6/6/2017 at 6:19 PM, whoshotdk said:

ididntmakethis.jpg

IT'S SO CUTE!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO PICK IT UP AND GIVE IT A BELLY- wait it's not a puppy.... Sorry; my mind's exhausted.

Also, congrats on the programming! Have fun (If that's a thing programmers do)

1 minute ago, The Moose In Your House said:

The wings don't support the craft, it uses 6 reaction wheels, and the headlight/taillight are clipped in.

Aha okay ... My fault, I should've written it more clearly: with no SAS I meant to say no reaction wheels.

40 minutes ago, Sivonen said:

I got to 8116km. Did I win?

...yea. Just to show the stupid concrete truck, which turned out looking like a monkey's behind and is undriveable. Nothing to see here...

You joker you! Left out the comma!

But hey, that's a nice design man!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.