[KSP 1.4.2] ShipEffects Continued [1.0.8.4]

Galileo

On 6/6/2017 at 4:21 AM, Galileo said:

This adds rattles, vibrations, stress sounds to your ship depending on how much thrust, gravitational and atmospheric forces is your ship enduring.

When I get home I'm installing this... oh boy, I can just imagine the sounds my ships will make... my massive over powered space planes entering the atmosphere at mach 9...  (in a thick Irish accent) "She's coming apart at the seams Captain!!"

• 2 weeks later...

@Galileo Thanks for gallantly picking up this mod!

I did a quick code-compare to my baseline from when I did the last round of fixes for KSP<=1.1.3 and 1.2.x.  Noticed a couple minor things and had some questions / comments:

1. Is the double "Continued" in string big_rattles = "ShipEffectsContinuedContinued/Sounds/big_rattles"; intentional?  I'm concerned that prevents the rattles sound from being played?
  2. Nifty new sounds!  Did you swap them out due to any sort of copyright concerns etc, or did you just want to spice things up a bit with clips you liked better?
  3. The original vibrations.wav had a left--right panning in it, any reason you didn't carry forward the panning effect?  Didn't like it, or didn't notice it?
  4. It would be awesome if the AssemblyVersion attribute in AssemblyInfo.cs could be maintained.  I know this is a nitpick and a lot of modders don't do this.  But for us Windows users at least, it helps when we want to quickly (and definitively) check which version of the DLL is present (without risk of relying on a potentially-mismatched, seperate .version textfile).  If the suggestion catches your interest, I'm happy to provide source code and binary for a very simple one-liner EXE which can do this automatically every time you hit the Visual Studio build button.
  5. Might be nice to credit CoriW (and even myself if you're feeling generous!) somewhere in the readme, buried in the changelog, wherever, for the work he did maintaining this in the past.  (No biggie on my part; I didn't do much except a few recompiles and some CKAN mangement)

ps. For others curious, further audio changes I noticed include: Made atmosphere sound quieter and less pronounced (and less windy - though personally I miss the wind); new big_rattles wav (sounds "less like a roller coaster going up an incline" and "more like a mix of billiard balls and big metal plate wobbling"; split up dock and undock into separate clips; new rumble sound ("less like a campfire"); new small_rattles ("more rattly; less like typewriter"); tweaked thump_low.  CFG defaults tweaked to make thump volume louder, stress volume quieter, and ResistMultiplier increased by 75% to ease effects in earlier.

To be clear I'm not criticizing at all - quite the contrary, I'm grateful somebody went ahead and took over this awesome mod!

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, Errol said:

Can you elaborate on [Module Manager cache stuff]?

Module Manager checks every .cfg file for changes on KSP launch, so it can determine if it needs to rebuild its patch cache or not. Add-ons that write to .cfg files regularly will cause Module Manager to rebuild its cache every time. Scatterer does this for instance, though I think this was fixed in Scatterer so it doesn't write to its .cfg files if nothing was actually changed.

To work around this, MM will ignore any .cfg files stored in a folder named "PluginData" for the purpose of building its patch cache. Any add-on that writes to a settings file should make a PluginData folder inside its folder and write its settings there.

UPDATE 

v1.0.8.3

• Fixed typo in the code - Thanks @Fwiffo
  • Updated the assembly version

Download in the OP

To answer your other questions: about the left and right panning, I noticed it, but the effect didn't make a whole lot of difference to me. I just replaced it with a mono sound.

As for why I used new sounds, I really wanted to make the sounds better, It wasn't about licensing at all.  I noticed a few of the loops were relatively short, resulting in noticeable repetition. Some of my loops are short, but they don't make themselves as noticeable.  The one that i hear the most is the metal stress groan that happens when pulling a lot of G's. I tried to keep some of them pretty long, but i didn't want to bloat the dl.

Also in regards to your exe for the assembly version, heck yes. That would come in handy for sure for a few of my mods.

Edited by Galileo

I do this a different way.  I have a text template which generates the AssemblyVersion from the .version file.  I dont find a build number as useful, but having the version info embedded is very useful IMHO.

If you are interested, you can get it here, along with instructions:

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TheEnderman said:

I cant find A link for a 1.2.2 version... Is there one?

I didn’t make one but you can use this- 

It will have the old sounds though. 

Trchnically, the 1.3.1 version should work fine. If not use the version linked above.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 5:22 AM, lajoswinkler said:

Oh YES, I love this mod. Thanks for updating it. :D

I think it doesn't work well with Audio Muffler Redux. It's being muffled and I think it's a constant muffle in IVA.

Ah -- drat. I was wondering what was missing. Clearly, the muffler being able to "ignore" these sounds would be important. Chatterer gets through, though...

37 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Ah -- drat. I was wondering what was missing. Clearly, the muffler being able to "ignore" these sounds would be important. Chatterer gets through, though...

Yeah that change would need to come from their end unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how willing the dev is.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2018 at 8:18 AM, Galileo said:

Yeah that change would need to come from their end unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how willing the dev is.

By the way, the Audio Muffler doesn't eat it anymore.

But your mod has an issue:  you bind AudioSources to the vessel's GameObject on Start(). That leads to all sounds just vanish forever after switching to another vessel. The simplest way to fix that is to create a new GameObject not bound anywhere and use it to create AudioSources instead. Thus all the sounds will stay inside the observer's head wherever you switch. You may lose sound "wobbling" together with the vessel with that approach but otherwise you'll have to implement some more logic to track all those vessel and part switches.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello @Galileo,

First of all, I am loving the mod, thanks a lot for keeping it alive!

Second, would you consider adding an option similar to "OnlyInIVA" for uncrewed vessels? Say "OnlyForCrewedVessels" that I can set to false. I would be willing to create a pull request or share and edited cs file if you would like.

1 hour ago, canisin said:

Hello @Galileo,

First of all, I am loving the mod, thanks a lot for keeping it alive!

Second, would you consider adding an option similar to "OnlyInIVA" for uncrewed vessels? Say "OnlyForCrewedVessels" that I can set to false. I would be willing to create a pull request or share and edited cs file if you would like.

Yeah, feel free to do a pull request and I’ll merge it. I have been extremely busy the last few months. I intend to get back into modding as soon as this semester is over. I only have 200+ finals to grade lol

11 hours ago, Galileo said:

Yeah, feel free to do a pull request and I’ll merge it. I have been extremely busy the last few months. I intend to get back into modding as soon as this semester is over. I only have 200+ finals to grade lol

I think I have created a pull request to add a new option called OnlyIfCrewed. I am very inexperienced in github, so I can only hope that I have gotten it right. Please review and let me know if any changes are needed. Otherwise I am happy to contribute :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.