[1.7.3] Graphics Enhancements Assembly (GEA)

Davian Lin

I'd like to know specifically what is causing a 40 - 50 fps drop when compared to other visual packs of similar content.

In a stock game with graphics cranked i get between 50 and 70 FPS.

With Astronomers Visual Pack loaded i get a fairly reasonable 35 - 45 fps.

With StockVisualEnhancements loaded i get 35 - 45 fps.

With this pack loaded i get 10 fps.

Why 

On 9/2/2018 at 1:34 AM, lilstrip said:

DON'T USE GEA! CAUSES EXTREME LAG!

also its apparently russian:

Green Ayy LmaoToday at 7:32 PM

GEA is Russian

Lilstrip, remember that this mod is made available to us for free. Davian Lin is not paid for this and doesn't owe us anything, but we perhaps owe him our thanks, don't you think? And what does being Russian have to do with it? The Russians make and have made some of the greatest space technology out there. Respect to them!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 2:34 AM, lilstrip said:

DON'T USE GEA! CAUSES EXTREME LAG!

also its apparently russian:

Green Ayy LmaoToday at 7:32 PM

GEA is Russian

No rage on russians pls. Author of pack just compiled a ton of other packs without any understanding what he doing and thats not good, but i know very much russian coders and modders here and outside, so please dont blame them all. 

Edited by RangeMachine

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, horace said:

actually still cant load game after 1 hour

i am using i7 8700 bro

There may be some issue with the latest KSP update not working with this mod. The author hasn't posted a message in a while, so he may not be checking the board right now. Remove the mod, and then if you can't get KSP to start you may want to reinstall the game. To take a modded game back to stock manually, you just need to remove all the folders from GameData except for the Squad and SquadExpansion(?) folders.

On 10/27/2018 at 1:48 AM, doggonemess said:

There may be some issue with the latest KSP update not working with this mod. The author hasn't posted a message in a while, so he may not be checking the board right now. Remove the mod, and then if you can't get KSP to start you may want to reinstall the game. To take a modded game back to stock manually, you just need to remove all the folders from GameData except for the Squad and SquadExpansion(?) folders.

using 1.4.5

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

This mod is extremely unoptimized. Hope this helps answer you guys’ questions about why it lags your system or why it takes so long to load into the game. 

but it should not be that slow i am using a high end computrt(kind of)

11 hours ago, horace said:

but it should not be that slow i am using a high end computrt(kind of)

KSP does not care how high end your system is. It relies heavily on your CPU, not your GPU, so if you have a ton of part mods installed or a few big ones, and you try to pair it with an unoptimized mod like this one, you can expect even worse performance.

I have an extremely good pc, and KSP still runs slowly in some cases. Although the game has been optimized slightly in each release, adding a lot of mods slows it down rather quickly. 

• 3 weeks later...

It seems you have copied all the terrain textures from Community Terrain Texture Pack (CTTP) to use in GEA, these being located in "GameData/GEATerrain/Terrain". This goes against the 'ethos' of utilizing these textures outside of the CTTP usage method as it could potentially mean that users may have all these textures loaded more than once in their install.

Would you consider using CTTP as intended and removing it from the GEATerrain folder?

https://github.com/Galileo88/Community-Terrain-Texture-Pack

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to remove CTTP from the GEA, as it's author is CaptRobau, not Galileo. CaptRobau and the his license allows me to use the textures in te GEA. Please read the file LICENCE.

I'm not asking you to remove CTTP, I'm asking you to utilize it properly and locate it's folder in the way that the mod is set up for multiple mod makers to utilize from a unified source.

If a user installs a mod that uses CTTP (in the correctly, intended fashion) and then installs GEA, there will be two sets of the terrain textures in their install that will be cached into RAM. This is unnecessary as it just takes up memory resources for no good reason. If you locate the CTTP textures in the GameData/CTTP folder, as set up in the CTTP as intended, then when a user installs multiple mods that use CTTP, they won't have duplicate terrain textures being loaded unnecessarily.

Also I have no idea what either Capt. Robau or Galileo's involvement in this or the CC-Sharealike license that this mod is licensed under has anything to do with the request that was made...? Look at who published the latest release of this mod on the Git repo, I am fully aware as to what this mod is licensed under . :wink:

Edited by Poodmund

5 hours ago, Davian Lin said:

I'm not going to remove CTTP from the GEA, as it's author is CaptRobau, not Galileo. CaptRobau and the his license allows me to use the textures in te GEA. Please read the file LICENCE.

Xj4Tauf.png

gJKzi7e.png

Galileo now has the rights to OPM and thus, CTTP (which was originally a part of OPM). CTTP is therefore under the new licence provided by Galileo - it is also the most up to date version of CTTP, and so the licence by CaptRobau is obsolete.

It's completely up to you if you want to be petty about this, Davian, but please respect the author/maintainer's wishes and utilise CTTP properly. If you're going to be petty about this, then so am I :D 

Edited by Gameslinx

3 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Xj4Tauf.png

Galileo now has the rights to OPM and thus, CTTP (which was originally a part of OPM). CTTP is therefore under the new licence provided by Galileo - it is also the most up to date version of CTTP, and so the licence by CaptRobau is obsolete.

It's completely up to you if you want to be petty about this, Davian, but please respect the author/maintainer's wishes and utilise CTTP properly. If you're going to be petty about this, then so am I :D 

None of this matters Gameslinx and Galileo has nothing to do with this issue. It is not a licensing issue as Davian Lin has quite rightly stated that he is within his right to use the textures, and effectively remix the CTTP mod by including it within his mod in a different format as the CC-Sharealike license permits as long as GEA also stays CC-Sharealike (which it is).

The issue here is a question of ethics in modding. Why, knowingly, develop a mod in such a way that is at detriment to the end user? In this specific case, by not utilizing CTTP as a community based, unified mod platform that everyone can access together and as a result duplicating textures and increasing RAM usage.

EDIT: A similar example would be if GEA included a copy of CRP (Community Resource Project) but implemented it differently to CRP and as such, 2-sets of identical resources were generated for each planet/moon/body. It just acts as a disservice to the games userbase to do so. 

Edited by Poodmund

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was just wondering when this will next be updated. It is probably my favorite texture pack, I just really want to see it work with the latest version.

Keep up the outstanding work!

On 1/2/2019 at 12:46 AM, Nigel Cardozo said:

Is it compatible with 1.6

Sort of. It works, but it isn't perfect. I would just take what's in the package and not update the mods that AVC will tell you to update. I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it though.

Edited by IMLL1
Added more stuff

On 2/9/2019 at 11:06 AM, IMLL1 said:

I was just wondering when this will next be updated. It is probably my favorite texture pack, I just really want to see it work with the latest version.

Keep up the outstanding work!

Sort of. It works, but it isn't perfect. I would just take what's in the package and not update the mods that AVC will tell you to update. I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it though.

Update will be soon. Maybe for a week.

• 3 weeks later...

Again I reiterate my previous comment.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:31 PM, Poodmund said:

It seems you have copied all the terrain textures from Community Terrain Texture Pack (CTTP) to use in GEA, these being located in "GameData/GEATerrain/Terrain". This goes against the 'ethos' of utilizing these textures outside of the CTTP usage method as it could potentially mean that users may have all these textures loaded more than once in their install.

Would you consider using CTTP as intended and removing it from the GEATerrain folder?

https://github.com/Galileo88/Community-Terrain-Texture-Pack

On 11/30/2018 at 1:19 PM, Poodmund said:

I'm not asking you to remove CTTP, I'm asking you to utilize it properly and locate it's folder in the way that the mod is set up for multiple mod makers to utilize from a unified source.

If a user installs a mod that uses CTTP (in the correctly, intended fashion) and then installs GEA, there will be two sets of the terrain textures in their install that will be cached into RAM. This is unnecessary as it just takes up memory resources for no good reason. If you locate the CTTP textures in the GameData/CTTP folder, as set up in the CTTP as intended, then when a user installs multiple mods that use CTTP, they won't have duplicate terrain textures being loaded unnecessarily.

Also I have no idea what either Capt. Robau or Galileo's involvement in this or the CC-Sharealike license that this mod is licensed under has anything to do with the request that was made...? Look at who published the latest release of this mod on the Git repo, I am fully aware as to what this mod is licensed under . :wink: