Radial heatshield tiles?

Or maybe something like an aeroshell with an ablator rating. Some prototype discussions are here.

My mental video of the fairing blowing off in packet-of-crisps mode with just a bit of the atmospheric fire effects still in place... cool.

Would you like to buy radial heat shields for $0.99?

> YES <                           NO

Had to.

I think it'd be cool to see radial shields added. It'd go nice with my shuttles. :)

But....

Is it really necessary? Couldn't you stick a couple of radiators onto it to help dissipate heat.

Also, a well designed reentry should help mitigate heat problems.

2 hours ago, TheKorbinger said:

True, but it would add some realism. NASA doesn't add ugly thin pieces of metal outside of their spacecraft on reentry.

Not to mention, IRL those would just evaporate on reentry

Indeed. In real life they'd struggle to dissipate heat fast enough (that is if they don't evaporate). Personally I think this would help if we could angle snap on a flat bottom to the curved mk2/mk3 bottoms and from there you could attach thermal "plates" to simulate large sections of the thermal panels for spaceplanes. Noting they don't ablate, they just have a high melting point.

@Pak has made some real nice MK3 shuttle parts with include radial/bottom parts of heatshield. 
These are only for the MK3 parts, however, you could give it a try by down- or up-scaling it for the other parts.

On 6/7/2017 at 3:37 PM, DrLicor said:

@Pak has made some real nice MK3 shuttle parts with include radial/bottom parts of heatshield. 
These are only for the MK3 parts, however, you could give it a try by down- or up-scaling it for the other parts.

However we're interested in seeing this become stock.

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

Or/and ablative fairings?

Possibly. Personally they have never sat well with me as far as concept but I'd use it if was available.

well wouldn't it be more realistic that every part has some kind of ablative values?

you can sometimes better use a engine as heat shield that an actual heat shield... as a few passes trough the atmosphere can completely wear down your heat shield... you don't have that problem with engines 

always thought it was bit strange.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.