KSP Challenge: Place the groundstations!

B9aB4qqHEvdsZr_u8hiWNt3y0gSzxjR1ni282yRn

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: “Place the groundstations” 

Instead of having the communication groundstations already there, we assume they're not yet built so we will place them ourselves at the right coordinates. There are six groundstations but it's up to you how many you'll want to deliver and how.
Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

Points will be given for the method of delivery.

• Rocket/parachute: 10 points for each,
  • Jet powered VTOL: 20 points for each,
  • STOL Airplane: 30 points for each,
  • Ship/truck: 40 points for each,
  • Stock helicopter: 50 points for each.

Example score, four groundstations placed using four different methods:

Rocket/parachute:  =   10
STOL:                     =   30
ship/truck:               =   40
stock helicopter:     =    50
total:                           130 points.

The number of points will determine the kind of badge. To be determined this week. Ideas are welcome.

Rules:

• You are allowed to choose a different delivery method per groundstation but mixing delivery methods is not allowed (for example, no rocket + truck).
  • A groundstation is required to have an RA-100 relay antenna, wheels, operate on its own power and fit inside a MK3 cargo bay.
  • The delivery vehicle does not have to return to KSC.
  • When landing, a delivery vehicle must be within 200m. of the flag.
  • The groundstation must be parked within 50m. of the flag.
  • Ship/truck: Can be a truck all the way or using a ship as a ferry for the truck. After reaching the water, the ferry is not allowed to drive out of it.
  • Ferries are allowed to deliver multiple trucks at different locations. No extra points will be given.
  • Airplanes/helicopters are allowed to deliver multiple groundstations per flight. No extra points will be given.
  • SSTO's are to be of the STOL or VTOL type and will be considered airplanes.
  • Trucks are allowed to be powered by jet engines.
  • Stock helicopters are allowed to be hybrids: fly like an airplane but take off and land as a helicopter. This is the ultimate challenge because stock helicopters are the most difficult of them all, both to build and fly.
  • No part mods allowed, no mods that change the physics (FAR).

The save file:

Copy the folder inside the .zip file in to your saves folder. The saved game was made with KSP 1.2.2 but is 1.3 compatible.
A subassembly with a complete groundstation is included. You are allowed to build your own.
Flags are positioned next to the existing models of the groundstations, together with some scientists who can read the plaque, this shows the exact distance to the KSC.
Various objects are hidden on Kerbin, some are references to popular culture. You can choose to delete them, explore them or ignore them.
Note: default terrain detail was used during the placing of the objects. A different detail level might result in unexpected problems with some of the objects.

Link to the save file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygcfmv1yxjgxsmz/Place_The_Groundstations.zip?dl=0

Special thanks to @Azimech for making this challenge possible! 

Good luck!

THIS CHALLENGE WILL BE OPEN FOR AN OTHER WEEK! So you still have time to share your entries

:Dcool first! Cool challenge! STOL = Short take off and landing? 

Edit. I am tempted to make a sophisticated stock chopper entry... (Grabs secret custom built electric prop engine...) :cool:

Edited by Mikki
spell8D

8 minutes ago, Mikki said:

Stock take off and landing?

Superb take off and landing?

Stylish take off and landing?

Supernatural take off and landing?

SHAZAM! - took off and landed?

30 minutes ago, Mikki said:

Edit. I am tempted to make a sophisticated stock chopper entry... (Grabs secret custom built elecctric prop engine...) :cool:

And you'd be missing all the fun of having to watch your fuel gauges ;-)

22 minutes ago, monstah said:

Stock take off and landing?

Superb take off and landing?

Stylish take off and landing?

Supernatural take off and landing?

SHAZAM! - took off and landed?

Supernatural ... yes.

I just downloaded the savefile and installed it in a sandbox... Hey SQUAD, ... 

THIS IS COMPLETLY AND UTTERLY NUTS!!!
Hermit Kerman.... And the Doctors... ...Oh... Oh... O-kay... ...
...I really hope you are going well over there in Mexico...

Just now, Mikki said:

I just downloaded the savefile and installed it in a sandbox... Hey SQUAD, ... 

Hermit Kerman.... And the Doctors... ...Oh... Oh... O-kay... ...
...I really hope you are going well over there in Mexico...

I'm the one to blame ... if you don't like it, delete all that stuff ... otherwise enjoy :-)

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

I'm the one to blame ... if you don't like it, delete all that stuff ... otherwise enjoy :-)

Oh... yes.. You are obviously a bizarre crazy cool person! Thank you for this surprise, i just had a really funny experience looking at your savefile, have to calm down a bit and digest this madness...:D  :D :D CheerZ!

10 minutes ago, Mikki said:

3 minutes ago, Mikki said:

I just had a really funny experience looking at your savefile, have to calm down a bit and digest this madness...:D  :D :D CheerZ!

xD @Azimech I wasn't planning on participating this week but due to all these comments I might just have to download it and see what all this hullabaloo is about! :D

2 minutes ago, regex said:

So basically this is a "Build a helicopter using only the parts in stock/vanilla" challenge?

You can do whatever you like ... I have a truck driving in the background. I might wanna do all of them using rockets someday ... just not this week :-)

50 minutes ago, regex said:

So basically this is a "Build a helicopter using only the parts in stock/vanilla" challenge?

I really suggest to take a look at the savefile...

and contemplate about simple things in your life...:D

And @Azimech... you are a genius. WOW!
And the groundstation which can be delivered, for the curious... :)

Spoiler

9qzbu1w.png

Edited by Mikki

Just now, monstah said:

in the background == Bon Voyage mod?

I've given it a try, but haven't used it to its full potential yet.

Well ... it's good to make quicksaves every once in a while.

Anyway ... here's a small progress report from me.

My truckers have an appointment with the very creepy Dr. Herbert Kerman, known for doing things with bodies 'n stuff in his spare time. Thanks @sarbian & co for the rover autopilote, I wouldn't want to sit on my fleshy region for 3,5 hours driving this thing. Arrived at a bay at the west coast for transfer to the next continent, now they'll have to wait for the ferry to arrive. Oh boy, it hasn't been built yet. They'll love me.

Damage thus far: bent chassis, bent suspension, multiple flat tires along the way and lost a complete wheel altogether. But still going strong.

EfioZNy.png

4 hours ago, Badie said:

Airplanes/helicopters are allowed to deliver multiple groundstations per flight. No extra points will be given.

So if I make separate flights starting at the KSC with a helicopter, does each trip get points, or is it just one point bonus for the heli? I don't know if I'm going to actually do a heli for all of them, but just wanted to get clarification. :)

29 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

So if I make separate flights starting at the KSC with a helicopter, does each trip get points, or is it just one point bonus for the heli? I don't know if I'm going to actually do a heli for all of them, but just wanted to get clarification. :)

A helicopter carrying multiple groundstations requires extra planning and fuel. Plus, the shift in CoM when offloading one groundstation makes the helicopter more difficult to control.
The extra effort needed in building, planning and flying skills means that every delivery will count as one whole flight.

Edited by Azimech

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Wait... @Badie, just to be clear... this download is a gamefile??? So I don't have to use my current (Emiko) career game to do the challenge???

Yep.

Enjoy.

Edited by Azimech

11 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

No parts mods, huh

*deletes Parts folder from MechJeb*

*writes ModuleManager Patch so MechJeb parts aren't needed*

CRAFT UNDER CONSTRUCTION, PLEASE STAND BY!

Mechjeb is fine, really.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.