[1.5.0] Procedural Fairings 1.5.0.5 (2018/10/18)

rsparkyc

Hello,

I have a slight problem with the fuselage fairings. I am building a Falcon analogue, and developing procedures to reuse the rocket, but this happens when I manipulate with the payload:

cfzzUJM.png

As soon as I undock the rover, one or two of the fairing parts detaches. The description is like this:

8qQI4Pw.png

Since I'm trying to be really careful, I guess some kind of "phantom" force is destroying my payload. is there a way around this? possibly changing the strength of the fuselage fairing in the configs?

Thanks,

Michal.don

46 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

No, KJR works fine with both PF and stock auto-struts. I can spot some internal struts though between the interstage and the upper stage tank. Can you test it without them?

Also, the overall rigidity of the Falcon + transport structure. If it is too rigid then you will get similar results.

Well, there seem to be more sides to the problem, apparently. I added the struts, because I experienced some RUDs when the payload was integrated on the rocket, I switched vessels and came back to it later. When the physics kicked in, the rocket jumped a bit, and the fairings fell off. But it's possible that in solving one problem, I created another. I'll try it without the struts later today, thank you.

Michal.don

Issue: KSP v 1.3, latest PF. Other mods: 

b6dfl0.jpg

Problem is the auto shape feature or rather to disable it. Once in a while, I can disable it to customise the shape but mostly the button does nothing leaving the fairings locked to too short to cover the cargo (most of the time). Any idea how I can get the customisation back?

14 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Also, the overall rigidity of the Falcon + transport structure. If it is too rigid then you will get similar results.

I did some testing, and it seems it really was caused by the struts. Thank you for your advise - I thought I was helping my situation by strutting the whole thing, while I was doing the exact opposite :)

Michal.don

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Battou said:

How in hell do I release this fairings?? There is no option in right button menu nor staging icon.

There are two types of fairing: one type is in the Structural Tab and can't be released - they are for building custom fuselages, and you don't want bits of fuselage dropping off mid-flight! The other type is in the Decouplers tab and can be released as you would expect.

hey there. i'm playing in career mode and have unlocked most of the lower-tech parts. however in the decouplers tab I don't see a procedural fairings part...is it hidden somewhere, or do I need to unlock it somewhere? i'm playing 1.3.1

Thanks!

Edited by dresoccer4

15 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

hey there. i'm playing in career mode and have unlocked most of the lower-tech parts. however in the decouplers tab I don't see a procedural fairings part...is it hidden somewhere, or do I need to unlock it somewhere? i'm playing 1.3.1

Thanks!

I believe that they're under the payload tab.

15 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I believe that they're under the payload tab.

To be more explicit, there are two types of fairings, ones that can jettison and ones that can't.  The ones that can't don't have any staging, they are just there.  The two sets of fairings are under different tabs.  I think Brigadier is right, one is under the payload tab, and I would guess one is under structure?  I can't remember right now but it is easy to find, if you add a set of fairings and don't get a staging icon, those are the non staging fairings.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else using with 1.3.1? I've found the 2 standard fairings work just fine. The Interstage fairing isn't protecting the parts below it from drag. I launched a rocket with an interstage and the fuel tank right below the interstage fairing adapter was experiencing drag as if it's top wasn't shielded by the fairing. 

On 23.10.2017 at 5:31 AM, Tyko said:

Anyone else using with 1.3.1? I've found the 2 standard fairings work just fine. The Interstage fairing isn't protecting the parts below it from drag. I launched a rocket with an interstage and the fuel tank right below the interstage fairing adapter was experiencing drag as if it's top wasn't shielded by the fairing. 

Basically PF works for me in 1.3.1. I use the payload fairings frequently an for me they work flewless. Interstage fairings are e seldom occurance on my spacecraft, bur the one or two times I used them in 1.3.1 I've not noticed anything odd. BUT I might just have happened below my radar. =) I'll have an eye one it and report as soon as I notice interstage fairings not working as intended. =)

4 hours ago, SchrottBot said:

Basically PF works for me in 1.3.1. I use the payload fairings frequently an for me they work flewless. Interstage fairings are e seldom occurance on my spacecraft, bur the one or two times I used them in 1.3.1 I've not noticed anything odd. BUT I might just have happened below my radar. =) I'll have an eye one it and report as soon as I notice interstage fairings not working as intended. =)

Thanks for the reply! maybe throw a quick rocket together with interstage and see what happens. It was really obvious something was wrong. my rockets accelerate up until they hit somewhere around mach 3 and fairly suddenly they start losing acceleration and time to AP starts dropping. Once the craft gets out of the thicker atmosphere drag reduces and it starts accelerating again.

I was using the f12 menu to turn on Drag reporting and the right-click readout for the tank right below the Interstage was showing extremely high drag numbers.

Still seeing the drag problem with Interstage Fairings. So, I built a completely stock ship (except Procedural Fairings & KER) run in a completely stock game and I'm still seeing the issue with Fairings not protecting from drag.

Here's a very simple ship with two Fairings on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xjwm07ktct6qp0/Fairing Test 1.craft?dl=0

When it gets to about 7500m and just past the speed of sound its acceleration slows and then actually stops. It continues to rise and when it reaches thinner atmosphere it starts accelerating again.

Here is my log file too:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy07vztxr44pl18/KSP.log?dl=0

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2017 at 7:32 PM, michal.don said:

this happens when I manipulate with the payload

You're not alone, I'm having the same problem. The fairing sides seem to dislike lateral forces, I think -- it's more likely to happen on horizontal vessels, but a rocket shaking side-to-side on vessel load also tends to shed it's fairings. An issue on github exists by now.

2 hours ago, Cratzz said:

Hey, thx for keeping this updated. I was wondering if anyone know where to find alternate Fairing textures? I know iv'e used black ones for example. Thx

Me too. I know I've had some in a previous RO install but can't locate the package anymore.

• 1 month later...