[1.5.0] Procedural Fairings 1.5.0.5 (2018/10/18)

rsparkyc

@Phineas Freak sorry, you're right, I was so damn confused about the chaos in the other rls from yesterday that I just did not take into account that some textures are inside the Parts folder and some textures are inside the Textures folder (what IMHO is also chaos). :)

Edit:

Hah! Then you can remove
GameData\ProceduralFairings\Parts\fairing.dds
GameData\ProceduralFairings\Parts\fairing_NRM.dds

Edited by Gordon Dry

@Gordon Dry, I was unaware that @Phineas Freak had done a lot of work to maintain this mod.  Sounds like he's done a lot of work in my absence!  @Phineas Freak, do you want to continue maintaining this, or should I merge your changes into my fork?

EDIT: Apparently I'm an idiot, because I can see earlier in this thread where I talked with you about you taking it over...  I'm going to at least work on getting your stuff merged over, should make future PRs be much cleaner.  I can also tag this as a pre-release as well.  Overall, it's looking much better than the project I inherited!

Edited by rsparkyc

I'm having a strange problem. I started to replace some of my rockets fairing with the procedural ones, but now the Dv is lower then before. The rocket with stock fairings has 3,758 Dv, but with PF it haves a little over 3,100. Any idea what's causing the this because both fairings have little to no mass.

3 minutes ago, CodeFantastic said:

I'm having a strange problem. I started to replace some of my rockets fairing with the procedural ones, but now the Dv is lower then before. The rocket with stock fairings has 3,758 Dv, but with PF it haves a little over 3,100. Any idea what's causing the this because both fairings have little to no mass.

Perhaps the fairing base is adding weight?  Care to post pictures of your rockets?

5 minutes ago, rsparkyc said:

Perhaps the fairing base is adding weight?

This brings me to an idea...
How about having later science levels make the base lighter, by using new alloys or composites?

Could this be achieved with the
GameData\ProceduralFairings\Config\PF_Settings_Config.cfg somehow?

I wonder if KER also things you're going to keep your fairings on the whole time.  What happens if you stage your fairing deployment before upper stage engine ignition?  Does Mechjeb give similar numbers?

Edited by rsparkyc

The Dv readout is correct, I am unable to reach orbit with the PF.

And this is where it gets weirder.

The total weight (using PF) of the upper stage fairings + the base =230kg, and the inter-stage fairings + the base = 197kg

Yet the stock fairings are 442kg and 310kg respectively. 

Hi,

I've just installed PF on 1.3.1 through CKAN and no parts would show up in the payload section, only MainSailor variants in the aerodynamics section. I removed v5.0 from CKAN and installed v4.0 manually from GitHub which solved the problem.

It seems like CKAN should be instructed not to install 5.0 on 1.3.1.

Thanks to all of you for this mod.

@rsparkyc

Did you change the version numbering of Procedural Fairings?  I see it went from v5 to 1.4.3.1

If so, please let me know and I will fix CKAN to understand the change

@rsparkyc

It would be helpful if you could add a .version file, it's easy to make and maintain, and will help both CKAN and AVC to keep track of new releases without any other work.

Two issues in 1.4.3.1:

1. Procedural Fairing upgrades show up in the part list, despite not being usable.

2. All but the smallest stock Airstream Protective Shell parts have disappeared, and resizing that one (via Tweakscale I assume) leads to the base becoming stupidly oversized.

I'm guessing these two might be related? Maybe it's patching the wrong fairing part, hiding the Airstreams, rather than the procedural fairing upgrade parts? :)