[1.5.0] Procedural Fairings 1.5.0.5 (2018/10/18)

rsparkyc

44 minutes ago, Corovaneer said:

What does this "density" parameter affect in practical terms?

Nothing. I added it purely for RO in order to make historic replicas easier to recreate, as it was config-side locked and not easily accessible. One could add it as a possible tech upgrade, like the diameter upgrades, making fairings heavier at the start.

@rsparkyc

I got a little carried away while working on giving this full TU recolor treatment. You can use any, none or all of what I've done here:

• Standardized mod folder to have things in the normal places
  • Disabled the stock fairing replacement patch by default
  • Remade part variants on Fairing (Ogive) and Fairing (Conic)
    • Changed 'Original' to 'White' and hooked it up to the stock 'White' variant theme
    • Changed 'Fuselage' to 'Gray and White' and hooked it up to the stock 'Gray and White' variant theme
  • Added additional variants to Fairing (Ogive) and Fairing (Conic) using stock resources
    • Variant 'Gray and Orange'
    • Variant 'Dark'
  • Created part variants on Base Ring and Base Interstage using existing content
    • Variant 'White' is now the base for Base Ring
    • Variant 'Dark' is now the base for Base Interstage
    • Variant 'Dark' added as second option to Base Ring
    • Variant 'White' added as second option to Base Interstage
  • Added Textures Unlimited variants
    • Created mask texture for Fairing (Ogive) and Fairing (Cone)
    • Created mask texture for Base Standard
    • Created mask texture for Base Ring and Base Interstage
    • Created mask texture for Thruster Plate
    • Variant 'TU Recolor' added to all parts
      • Each part was broken into 2-3 regions via mask to allow proper separation and recoloring of different regions
      • Normalization values were set for all regions
      • Default colors were set, but current TU version has a bug with this, so they appear white until recolored
      • TexturesUnlimited currently throws a number of benign messages into the log that can be ignored
      • I am told that both these issues have been resolved in the current dev branch and will be fixed in the next release
  • Note that there is a bug with stock PartVariants that somehow removes some attachment nodes when switching between variants. I didn't find this out until further testing, so for now you can only use the base variant for the bases, but the fairings can switch around just fine. When the TU version that fixes the default color settings is released, I will enable TU against the base variants, so that they can be recolored without running into that stock bug.

LLlpDkC.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Could someone explain how to use the interstage fairings with RP-1 and Realism Overhaul?  I can't seem to get my second stage to decouple from the interstage coupler.  I have tried using both interstage and payload fairings but have had no success.  Do I just have to use a stock decoupler?  Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 10:10 PM, Electrocutor said:

@rsparkyc

I got a little carried away while working on giving this full TU recolor treatment. You can use any, none or all of what I've done here:

• Standardized mod folder to have things in the normal places
  • Disabled the stock fairing replacement patch by default
  • Remade part variants on Fairing (Ogive) and Fairing (Conic)
    • Changed 'Original' to 'White' and hooked it up to the stock 'White' variant theme
    • Changed 'Fuselage' to 'Gray and White' and hooked it up to the stock 'Gray and White' variant theme
  • Added additional variants to Fairing (Ogive) and Fairing (Conic) using stock resources
    • Variant 'Gray and Orange'
    • Variant 'Dark'
  • Created part variants on Base Ring and Base Interstage using existing content
    • Variant 'White' is now the base for Base Ring
    • Variant 'Dark' is now the base for Base Interstage
    • Variant 'Dark' added as second option to Base Ring
    • Variant 'White' added as second option to Base Interstage
  • Added Textures Unlimited variants
    • Created mask texture for Fairing (Ogive) and Fairing (Cone)
    • Created mask texture for Base Standard
    • Created mask texture for Base Ring and Base Interstage
    • Created mask texture for Thruster Plate
    • Variant 'TU Recolor' added to all parts
      • Each part was broken into 2-3 regions via mask to allow proper separation and recoloring of different regions
      • Normalization values were set for all regions
      • Default colors were set, but current TU version has a bug with this, so they appear white until recolored
      • TexturesUnlimited currently throws a number of benign messages into the log that can be ignored
      • I am told that both these issues have been resolved in the current dev branch and will be fixed in the next release
  • Note that there is a bug with stock PartVariants that somehow removes some attachment nodes when switching between variants. I didn't find this out until further testing, so for now you can only use the base variant for the bases, but the fairings can switch around just fine. When the TU version that fixes the default color settings is released, I will enable TU against the base variants, so that they can be recolored without running into that stock bug.

LLlpDkC.jpg

Wow, sounds like you were busy!  Sorry for my absence, but any chance you can submit a PR against this?  Otherwise I can probably overlay your changes

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2019 at 11:42 AM, Taki117 said:

I am happy to report that the version maintained by @Electrocutor works perfectly in 1.6.1, even at sizes exceeding 7.5m

I came across an issue that finally seems to be resolved with @Electrocutor's version. For instance, Squad has five original AE-FF series (1. 1.5, 2, 3, & 5 meter) Protective Shells. However, when you install @rsparkyc's 1.5.0.5 modded version, the 1.5 and 5m are the only ones viewable/useable along with the mod's -PF shell. On the other hand, @Electrocutor's mod restores the shells back to the original five minus the -PF one. Personally, I prefer the latter which now allows me to utilize @Yanfret's Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems mod. Note: please feel free to verify my findings with the two Procedural Fairing mods and advise if anyone finds a workaround other than not installing said fairing mod. Cheers ~ :ph34r: G

Realize this is the 1.5+ thread for this, but highlighting an issue I'm coming across in 1.4.5.  Opened an issue on rsparkyc's github page, re-posting here for visibility -- or someone to identify what I'm missing or that it is fixed in 1.5+.  Context is running 1.4.5 + RO/RSS/RP-1 (github latest).

--

KSP 1.4.5, with Procedural Fairings 1.4.5.5 (via CKAN)

(Technical: Unable to set KzResizableFairingBase  's MODULE[ModuleDecouple].stagingEnabled to True.  It is unset in KzInterstageAdapter2 but set to False in KzResizableFairingBase)

The Payload Fairing - Base (Extended) does not show a staging icon when added in VAB.  The fairing staging works as expected, the payload base is the issue.  Right-clicking the part gives the expected menu items (Extra radius, strut/size toggles, fairing nodes, interstage toggle, size tweakable, mass, cost, decoupler force percent, crossfeed toggle) but nothing to enable staging.  The decoupler can be activated by action group or right-click menu on the payload base during flight.  Seems the toggle got lost from the GUI?

Non-scripting workaround is add a separate decoupler part above the payload base.

Scripting workaround (assuming you will ALWAYS want to use the decoupler?):
@PART[KzResizableFairingBase]:AFTER[ProceduralFairings]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleDecouple]
    {
        %stagingEnabled = True
    }
}

Same for @PART[KzResizableFairingBaseRing]:AFTER[ProceduralFairings]

Scripting workaround works as expected: decoupler icon for staging shows in VAB, triggers appropriately upon vessel staging in flight.

Edited by DRVeyl
grammatical fix + added KzResizableFairingBaseRing

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Once in a while, I'll build a procedural fairing and the fairing sections will start falling off at launch or during flight.  The exact same design will usually be fine when I redo it in the editor.  How can I avoid this happening?  I keep AOA withing 5 degrees of prograde, I keep max Q down below 18000, I've tried strutting them to the payload, I've verified that no RCS is active in the fairing, I've set autostrut on the entire craft, I've verified that none of the payload is touching the fairing.  Falling off in flight is to be expected if going to fast in thick air or shifting payload etc, but these are falling off the moment I launch.  Like just the shock of the launch clamps releasing is knocking them loose.  This is my 6th attempt to launch a simple resupply mission to LKO and the fairing issue is making it very tedious.

And no, I don't have the fairing staged with the launch clamps, lol. 1st thing I checked

Edited by darthgently

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Interstage not working with kerbal engineering redux.  I have a 1.25 ship on top of a 1.85 booster so the little 1.25 shroud on top of a standard decoupler loks super ghetto.  So I replaced the stock decoupler with the procedural interstage fairing.  turned off crossfeed and enable decouple with staging.  It works but kerbal engine does not see two stages just one?????

• 7 months later...

this (thread?) post is probably abandoned but I dont know where to turn. i have an issue and its eating my brain! I am currently playing ksp version 1.12.3 I have RP1 express install which means RO and RSS also, and also with procedural parts, and fairings. now in an RP1 play through, all PF bases are made available at start....Only....I dont have access to all of them, namely the hollow flat payload adapter (the one the looks like just a white ring). its crazy because thats the one I need. There is another "flat" one but its like a half a meter thick and looks like a car rim. Why wont it make this availiable to me? please help!

1 hour ago, jeffreymelton24 said:

this (thread?) post is probably abandoned but I dont know where to turn. i have an issue and its eating my brain! I am currently playing ksp version 1.12.3 I have RP1 express install which means RO and RSS also, and also with procedural parts, and fairings. now in an RP1 play through, all PF bases are made available at start....Only....I dont have access to all of them, namely the hollow flat payload adapter (the one the looks like just a white ring). its crazy because thats the one I need. There is another "flat" one but its like a half a meter thick and looks like a car rim. Why wont it make this availiable to me? please help!

The current version's thread is here:

I assume you mean this ring?

0xvU8Cn.jpeg

As you can see I'm not seeing your problem on my own RP-1 Express build, did you install all the recommended mods or any extra mods not from the RP-1 recommended list? (Smart Parts is my only parts adding mod so far)