no thrust after warp

Hello,

I am new to KSP, but I face a strange issue:

every time I use time warp above 700000  e.g. time warp x5 during like one or two seconds, then when I activate engine I am unable to have any thrust at all.

I have a fresh new install, everything works ok if I don't use time warp or if I use time warp below 70000. I have fuel, engine, throttle to 100%, electricity, pilot on board...

maybe am I doing semething wrong ?

Edited by gregv

Hello @gregv and welcome.

It sounds like you are seeing the difference between the two types of warp that the game uses. When you are in the atmosphere under 70km the game will still compute all of the ship's physics up to 4x warp. This is called "physics warp."

However, once you go above the atmosphere the default warp will just speed up time but you won't be able to control the ship until you cancel time warp. During this version of time warp while in space the game just computes the orbits of the ship but not the engine burns or most other physics.

If you want to speed up time but still fire the engines then you can go into "physics warp" by holding down the ALT key and pressing the period, also called the full stop, on the same key with the greater than symbol >. You should still be able to control physics warp up to 4x speed by holding the ALT key with the period. The comma , will decrease the warp or you can press forward slash / to cancel warp.

This works for Windows computers. If you are using a Mac then you hold the Option key instead of Alt. On Linux it is the Right-Shift key instead.

I hope this helps, but if you still have questions please ask. And have fun!

Edited by HvP

Thank you very much, using ALT key helped me much. However I don't dare using the other warp anymore because all engines seems to die when I come back to 1X warp... here is a short video to show you my issue

Edited by gregv

5 hours ago, gregv said:

Thank you very much, using ALT key helped me much. However I don't dare using the other warp anymore because all engines seems to die when I come back to 1X warp... here is a short video to show you my issue

Ok, I think I see what is happening. When you increase time warp (that kind that doesn't use ALT) it will cut your throttle off because the engines can't burn during regular time warp. This is normal behavior for time warp in space. Your engines aren't being deactivated, you just don't have your foot on the gas pedal anymore, if you get my meaning.

Look at the curved indicator on the left side of the NavBall. The little pointer that goes up and down the bar shows you how much throttle you are giving your engines. It goes all the way down when you enter time warp, but is still throttled down when you tried toggling the engines in the right-click menu. You don't have to use that activate/deactivate engine button unless you need to stop or start the engines from receiving throttle commands.

Can I assume you have been allowing the engines to burn after staging them and then you turn them off by right-clicking and pressing the deactivate button? There is a much easier way to control the engines.

If you still have the default key assignments then you can press Z to go back to full throttle, or Left-Shift to gradually increase throttle in small steps. The X key will cut the engines off or the Left-Control will gradually reduce throttle. So basically, all you need to do to go back to full throttle when coming out of time warp is to press the Z button, then press X when you want to stop burning.

The Z and X keys are basically acting like your your gas pedal and brake. Z to accelerate, X to stop accelerating (X won't slow you down, but you will coast instead of accelerating further.) Right-clicking the engine to press the deactivate/activate button is like turning the ignition key off and on.

You may find this list of key bindings helpful.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Key_bindings

I would also suggest running through the games tutorials that are accessible from the main menu screen. Although, maybe I'm mistaken and if this isn't your problem please let me know.

Edited by HvP

thank you so much, indeed I did only use the thrust limiter and the activate button to use engines. With the throttle control it is easier now, and it also solved my issue with time wrap. Thank you again, I will spend the evening on tutorials :wink:

Do bear in mind that the warning you get when using physics warp is there for a reason. During physics warp, calculation accuracy is reduced in favour of speed so you can go faster. This may or may not result in strange forces being applied, or the Kraken tearing your ship apart, depending on how big it is. It's a good idea to also hit the quicksave button if you're going to play with physwarp while under acceleration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.