[1.2.x][1.3.x]Instell Incorporated Experimental Technologies Continued (Updated 6/11/17)

Instell.png

Benjamin Kerman's Welding Supply Co. in cooperation with Instell Incorporated proudly presents:

Instell Incorporated Experimental Technologies Continued

Note: Not all values listed in screenshots are correct

DOWNLOAD REMOVED DUE TO NEW EULA

Original Thread

We at Instell Incorporated pride ourselves in customer satisfaction. We wish to give our customers only the greatest and most fashionable ways to ride their reusable ICBMs. Our engineers are ready and eager to work on any project that can get them close to the liquid oxygen again. Here at Instell we have only the best of experimental technologies, because finished products are just too mainstream. Why spend precious funds on testing when the customer can do it for you?

At Instell we believe in shooting for the moon, and even if we miss, our craft melted on the way up.

SCRAMJET ENGINES!

New from Instell, the Semi Combustible Ramjet.

Have you ever thought that stuffing air and fuel into a tube until it exploded was a bad idea? We did, but we kept trying anyway until we figured out that shoving more air in makes it explode out the back of the tube! [WARNING - Sharp edges, high temperatures, and ludicrous G forces may cause death, dismemberment, and or hallucination]

We at instell incorporated are proud to offer a selection of two wonderful scramjets: XE-101 and the XE-202. Both are scramjets and are built to propel your spaceplane to hypersonic speeds. They become more powerful and efficient the higher they are and the faster they go.

eK7cXGJ.pngbHJ1S9X.png

Advantages of scramjets:

• Very efficient at high speeds/altitudes
  • Very light
  • Can function at very high altutudes
  • Is the physical representation of acceleration
  • Does not require intake hogging

However it poses a couple of challenges:

• Must be going past mach 3 to function
  • Engines have a tendency to cause other parts to overheat due to atmospheric heating.
  • Engines are more efficient in the upper atmosphere

ELECTRIC ENGINES!

Introducing the XE-303/E electronic turbofan engine!

Pjb7Thn.png

This engine is considerably more simple to use than our Scramjets. This engine is excellent for subsonic crafts, especially those on other planets. Since it doesn't rely on combustion to power its turbine, it will run in any atmosphere. It's perfect for aircraft transports on other planets!

Advantages:

• Can run in any atmosphere
  • Small onboard battery supply
  • Cheaper than a traditional basic jet
  • Very quiet
  • Makes for a great air conditioner in a pinch

Disadvantages:

• Cannot go above Mach 1
  • Can only be radially attached
  • A bit bulky

PULSE DETONATION ENGINES!

Introducing Instell's latest work of mad science: The XE-404 Pulse Detonation Engine!

jF5s1qn.png

This engine is the perfect companion to the XE-101 and 202. It has a maximum speed of mach 6 and sounds like a very, very loud and explosive jackhammer. Despite using the most advanced coolant systems that Jeb could find in his junkyard, this engine still has a tendency to overheat, so watch out!

Advantages:

• Can easily take a SCRAMjet up to the required speed.
  • Has a speed ceiling of mach 6.
  • Operates well in the same flight conditions as a TurboRamJet.
  • Can cook a burger in 6 seconds flat.

Disadvantages:

• LOUD!!
  • Cannot reach as high of an altitude as the XE-101 and 202
  • Can overheat easily

Changelog

*** v.2.1 ***
* Added the "M.O.I.S.T." oxidizer radiator
* Tweaked some values
*** v.2.0 ***
* Updated for 1.3
* Changed some strange values
* Tweaked scale of hyperintake and inline SCRAMjet
* Fixed things up

Edited by Benjamin Kerman
Nice job, TTI

9 minutes ago, rohanguard1 said:

Thanks for Updating this!

I have been really wanting a mod for KSP where I can use a scramjet.

No problem! Saw people asking, and figured it would be an easy project. Planning on getting the "G.O.H.N.A.D.S" working, but under a different name... 

22 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

No problem! Saw people asking, and figured it would be an easy project. Planning on getting the "G.O.H.N.A.D.S" working, but under a different name... 

I just have a question about this mod. Is the Jackhammer Engine supposed to be only 0.5 meters wide? It weighs more than the scram jet, so I am wondering why it weighs so much.

25 minutes ago, rohanguard1 said:

I just have a question about this mod. Is the Jackhammer Engine supposed to be only 0.5 meters wide? It weighs more than the scram jet, so I am wondering why it weighs so much.

Honestly, I don't know. I am using the old config files and tweaking them to be up-to-date for KSP 1.3. If you have suggestions/comments feel free to make a PR on GitHub or let me know here!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there any way you could make this mod have some larger engines. Because of the scramjets' dubious nature, I need to be able to have a large scramjet on my craft, because otherwise, the scramjets would flame out at different times.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of this mod. I always use it. My favourite design is Whiplash + Houdini + Nuke, the SSTO uses liquid fuel only, no oxidizer. Both this and the pre-update (non-Continued) version of the mod work normally in my 1.3.1 with the latest Firespitter, but the pulse-det engine is still itty-bitty. Could you please fix the pulse-det size bug?

Edited by ave369

2 hours ago, ave369 said:

I am a fan of this mod. I always use it. My favourite design is Whiplash + Houdini + Nuke, the SSTO uses liquid fuel only, no oxidizer. Both this and the pre-update (non-Continued) version of the mod work normally in my 1.3.1 with the latest Firespitter, but the pulse-det engine is still itty-bitty. Could you please fix the pulse-det size bug?

Thanks for the kind words! I'll take a look at the sizing asap. 

Edit: I think I will just make a larger pulse-det engine, in addition to the larger scramjet. 

@rohanguard1 your larger scramjet is coming up in the next release as well!

Edited by Benjamin Kerman

The pulse det was supposed to be bigger. In 1.0.x versions it was a normal Size 1. In 1.1.x a bug caused by version change made the pulse det itty-bitty.

Edited by ave369

• 2 months later...

To everyone who uses and follows this mod: 

Due to the new EULA, I will not be supporting or working on this mod. The license remains the same, so if you would like to continue this, go ahead. If you would like to contact me, join #kerbaeadastra on freenode (IRC). Thank you!