Superluminal - WIP Video Update #2

Stevie_D

Which parts will need the B9partswitch?  Also, what .dll are the centri-spinnals using for their animation? Is it WildBlueTools?

@theJesuit Mostly the command modules for b9. They have parts and options to them that require mostly cosmetic changes, and aren't involved or detailed enough to warrant the extra templates i would need with WildBlue Tools. So yup, you guessed it WBtools will be most likely used for the centrifuges. However, I'm still tinkering and trying things out, so i'll stick a "Subject to Change" here, heh.

hey man, i was wondering, will the warprings utilize roverdudes warpdrive?

@bjornadri Yup, as Maverick said, all ModuleManager patched up. They should work with both Roverdude's and Interstellar.

Edited by Stevie_D

Hoooooly crap hyperventilates So. Many. Centrispinnials. :D:D:D

And FTL travel! And command pods! Eeeeeeek, this is amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!!!

I saw that diagram for a more realistic alcubierre drive that @FreeThinker brought up, just curious, but are you planning on implementing that? Doesn't matter if you do, I just didn't see any reply.

Anywho, I can't wait for release :) Have the rest of my rep for today :D

Edited by Spaceception

wait i have just noticed something so i want to make sure: this mod won't contain any engines?

@bjornadri If you read the OP, i have a roadmap to the stars image that shows there will be at least 1 engine. I'm infact going to have 2 now. Since no mod can guarantee you are using other mods (unless they are warp rings for example), then i wanted to make sure that folks using the mod can heavy lift all this stuff into space without needing another mod. So a large scale Arca engine will be put in for 5m launches, and an analogue of the Falcon 9 or SLS engines will be made for the 7.5m and possibly 10m fuel tanks. I'm not going to go into engines in any meaningful way, just those two at best. There are plenty of other mod packs that add every engine under the sun (and then many others that arent under the sun heh). Superluminal is about aiding all these other mods by giving you options.

I saw that diagram for a more realistic alcubierre drive that FreeThinker brought up, just curious, but are you planning on implementing that?

Actually, @Spaceception, arguably the most realistic Alcubierre drive is the current one from the IXS Enterprise Warpship.

It was designed by Dr.Harold White of the Eagleworks Laboratory at NASA. Dr.White expanded Alcubierre's unrealistic theory, which required the same energy to operate as contained in an object the size of Jupiter. His math postulates that if you fatten the ring, and add a second ring, you bring the energy requirements of the drive down from the mass of Jupiter to an object the size of the voyager probe. Whilst all of this is still far fetched, Dr.White's continuation of Alcubierre's work at least brings it within the realms of physical possibility, however fantastical. Alcubierre's model isn't even feasible.

The warp drive in the concept shot posted by Freethinker has even thinner rings than Alcubierre's original concept, and only one at that. It also has the swivel-ring going around it based on the premise that Hawking radiation exists and would cause a problem (which hasn't actually been proven to exist yet, there is only 1 study that emulates its effects.)  I would and could debate the merits to the study of hawking radiation on the alcubierre rings by (was it an austalian university?) but for one important factor that makes it all moot anyhow...

...And that is that Dr.White's seminar also explains the very real likely-hood that due to the warping of space-time you do not want anything even remotely close to or outside the warp rings themselves, otherwise they would be destroyed under the effects of spatial distortion when started. So a spinning ring outside the warp ring(s) would most likely end up being spacedust. (since this is all educated theories at the moment).

BUT!... even taking into account that all the stuff above may be physically or theoretically correct or incorrect, and im quite happy to compromise on stuff for other mod authors, that concept and all the stuff above may be torpedoed by KSP itself. That concept requires it to spin around the entire ship, and just thinking about it makes my spidey-sense - of colliders bugging, or other ship parts spazzing out due to other complications involved in that process- tingle. heh

But what makes all of this even triple-y moot, ...

....is that I've not gotton back to @FreeThinker on the warp rings yet, because (since they're the easiest parts) they're going to be the last parts fully modelled and put into the mod :) No point wasting the man's time responding to me in PM discussion about all this until i'm closer the time to creating the rings properly. :) 

Edited by Stevie_D

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

Are there any beta or alpha downloads that you can provide? You said a month ago that an alpha was "coming in to view".

Also, what version is it for? Is it for 1.2.2 or 1.3?

Who would make a new mod and not make it compatible with the latest version? It will all come down to if he localizes it or not. If he does, it wont work in 1.2.2, to my knowledge. Try not to be pushy though. @Stevie_D is under no obligation to provide us with anything. With that said, I'm more excited about this mod than I am Christmas. Cant wait!

12 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Who would make a new mod and not make it compatible with the latest version? It will all come down to if he localizes it or not. If he does, it wont work in 1.2.2, to my knowledge. Try not to be pushy though. @Stevie_D is under no obligation to provide us with anything. With that said, I'm more excited about this mod than I am Christmas. Cant wait!

if localization efforts are pursued, I extend my offer to provide Eng > Spanish translations :)

On 01/09/2017 at 0:16 AM, bjornadri said:

We have not had an update for so long, i am wondering if this will even come out at some point

That's a little unfair, given that within a minute you then praising someone else who re-bundled Stevie_D's original work in the IXS thread!

I'm sure @Stevie_D has been caught up in real life issues as they will and do happen to all of us from time to time.  I for one am waiting for the central-spinnals for a new save :wink:

And if Stevie_D decides never to release them, then, well, we haven't given him anything expect praise for the concept, and admiration for his skill but also the occasional disparaging comment.

Peace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...