Superluminal - WIP Video Update #2

Stevie_D

@Stevie_D this is a bit of a follow-on from @hypervelocity's comment.

22 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

wow @Stevie_D, this looks hawt!!!!!! I will sure be downloading the pack once it releases!

shameful but humble ask :$ would you consider going with a less yellowy texture for the command pods? I think the colour/textures on the Kraken capsule look absolutely gorgeous and will fit the overall theme of the rest of the game's parts.

again, this is looking fantastic and cannot wait for the release! great job!

I am also very much liking your textures and the yellow stripes. Having the option to choose different stripe colors would be cool for RP, if only to more easily tell spacecraft of the same base class apart from each other, visually.

For example; Jeb and Bob get themselves stuck in Mun orbit having run out of fuel while playing "lasertag" in two different space buses and Val has to rescue them in her own space bus. Val is understandably peed-off because she was sipping a mojito and reading the latest Kane's Defense Weekly while taking a micro-G bubblesloshbath on the Mun Station. Jeb has been picking his, um, nose?, and babbling at Val non-stop on the radio because he's missing KSI: Island Airport. Naturally, Val changes her mind and chooses to rescue only Bob, but since she couldn't tell their space buses apart, she leaves them both where she found them and goes back to the Mun Station to have three more mojitos, another bubblesloshbath, and reads Kosmopolitan all the way through.

Well, it's all a bit premature at the moment. The spacebus and Priax only had a first colour texture pass so far, i usually do textures three times until they look as polished as the Kraken or Enkeladus. But ill keep it in mind.

In other news - yesterday i was going to take a break and have a nice day out, maybe jogging or on my bike. But, true to british summer - it rained. But i still wanted to take a break from UV unwrapping the models and Unity, so on a whim i took to modelling. I always usually do a bit of extra modelling when i'm doing a project, because its my first love and i pine for it when im' doing texturing or other stuff. Creating stuff is way more fun than colouring stuff in heh.

I noticed no one (or at least to my knowledge) had modelled or created the awesome looking SSTO Arca launch rocket. So...

ForumPost_14_zpsvbdognyq.jpg

ForumPost_15_zpsxkabi7st.jpg

I then also completely wasted its beautiful looks by using it in an infographic where it is so small you cant tell its there XD hehe

SSIroadmap_zpsdv6fgext.jpg

10 minutes ago, Stevie_D said:

Well, it's all a bit premature at the moment. The spacebus and Priax only had a first colour texture pass so far, i usually do textures three times until they look as polished as the Kraken or Enkeladus. But ill keep it in mind.

In other news - yesterday i was going to take a break and have a nice day out, maybe jogging or on my bike. But, true to british summer - it rained. But i still wanted to take a break from UV unwrapping the models and Unity, so on a whim i took to modelling. I always usually do a bit of extra modelling when i'm doing a project, because its my first love and i pine for it when im' doing texturing or other stuff. Creating stuff is way more fun than colouring stuff in heh.

I noticed no one (or at least to my knowledge) had modelled or created the awesome looking SSTO Arca launch rocket. So...

I then also completely wasted its beautiful looks by using it in an infographic where it is so small you cant tell its there XD hehe

SSIroadmap_zpsdv6fgext.jpg

More aerospikes!  Yikes!  Didn't know about Arca, so thanks for the heads up!

And for some reason the infographic is making me impatient in my wait all the more! :)

Peace.

Once a week (usually monday or tuesday, after the weekend when i've spent most time on the mod) i'll do a video update of stuff i've gotton done. Here, ladies and gents, is the first!

(And i'm gonna try damned hard to make sure each one is set to a space song! (suggestions welcome)) :)

Edited by Stevie_D

6 hours ago, Stevie_D said:

Once a week (usually monday or tuesday, after the weekend when i've spent most time on the mod) i'll do a video update of stuff i've gotton done. Here, ladies and gents, is the first!

(And i'm gonna try damned hard to make sure each one is set to a space song! (suggestions welcome)) :)

Unfortunately the music (whatever it is) from SME is copyrighted and has been blocked from my country :(

Peace.

EDIT - Watched @Stevie_D.  Found a way.  Very nice!  Looking forward to Alpha!

Edited by theJesuit
Update

5 minutes ago, Stevie_D said:

@theJesuitAh, so you're german? :D

*Takes a not-so-wild punt at guessing*

If it's a problem for a few folks i'll upload non-copyrighted music versions in future.

Nah, I'm a Kiwi, Aotearoaian, from New Zealand.

I googled the issue which suggested me to visit a site that allowed for me to watch...  *ahem*

But, yeah, non copyright material would be good thanks!

Peace.

Yeah i hate it when that happens to me, its only ever happened with some US content my end though, and i usually use a proxy ip program myself when it happens.

Righty, you live and learn, so no more space themed songs with the video updates! Thanks for letting me know Jesuit, and g'day! :D

EDIT - Sorted!

Edited by Stevie_D

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, it's been pretty slow going this last week, partly due to RL getting in the way, and partly due to me spending what time i did have testing out the ways to power the part/module switching of the centrispinnials. 

I should have progress to show off after the weekend now im freed up :)

(EDIT - Also working on photobucket being complete arses.

Changed to imgur, and testing to see if it works by posting a concept image i did a while ago, and the 2nd texture pass of the Polta Spacebus...

y1nQBzh.jpg

mc8eFNm.jpg

Edited by Stevie_D

Weekly update time!

Thanks for the support and kind words you guys, it always gives me a bit of extra enthusiasm to get back at cracking on with the mod when i know i'm doing good work. So it's appreciated :)

I wonder what license this mod will get.

Just like my original IXS warpship mod that you use the warpring from in Interstellar, @FreeThinker, i will always use creative commons license :)  Im a firm believer that if us modders make stuff for the community, then as long as no one is making money from my hard work, they're free to have fun with it as they see fit.

Unfortunately with Photobucket screwing over its entire user base, its taking me longer to update the OP with the original images showing off all the other parts of the mod - because im doing away with them (the images that is) and making a video that shows off the entire mod and all its parts in one go.

So all the centrifuges/main hulls/ and warp rings will get an airing as well as the command modules that have been shown off the most so far.

The reason i'm saying all this, is because since i noticed you use the warp ring from my old IXS mod, Free (which i love, since i originally created that entire mod to be used in interstellar back when it was being managed by WaveFunction), i was going to PM you soon anyway and ask your input into the new warp rings i'm making (1.25m all up to 5m) before i finalize their models, so that you can use them in Interstellar if you wish.

But back on with the update...

I also made a decision this week. I -was- going to release Alpha 1 with the command modules when i had them all fully functional; but with many only having a colour pass texture  this didn't sit right with me. So, i decided to bite the bullet and texture them all to a 1st detail pass, so that they're all but beta ready and any tweaks that need making can be incorporated with the feedback i get from Alpha 1 and put into the 2nd and final detail pass.

This co-incides with me deciding to make a few tutorials on modding for KSP since some of the things (like parachutes...rrrRAWWRRRGH!) gave me so many headaches getting them to work, that i wanted to save other people the pain i've endured. 

So this weeks video is a part-update, mostly-tutorial, showing off how i textured the 5m Plock Lander Can, seen here after its first detail pass.

yiuXUm6.jpg

*awaits the calls of "o m g, ANOTHER video tutorial voiced by a Brit!"*

Edited by Stevie_D
formatting

1 hour ago, Stevie_D said:

Just like my original IXS warpship mod that you use the warpring from in Interstellar, @FreeThinker, i will always use creative commons license :)  Im a firm believer that if us modders make stuff for the community, then as long as no one is making money from my hard work, they're free to have fun with it as they see fit.

Lol, I wasn't aware you were the original artist of those parts as well, I will give you the credits you rightfully deserve. Great to hear you donate the parts to the public, it allows modders like me to breath life into them.

Unfortunately with Photobucket screwing over its entire user base, its taking me longer to update the OP with the original images showing off all the other parts of the mod -

In my experience Individual images can quite reliable be stored and displayed imgur, perhaps that a good option?

Edited by FreeThinker

The reason i'm saying all this, is because since i noticed you use the warp ring from my old IXS mod, Free (which i love, since i originally created that entire mod to be used in interstellar back when it was being managed by WaveFunction), i was going to PM you soon anyway and ask your input into the new warp rings i'm making (1.25m all up to 5m) before i finalize their models, so that you can use them in Interstellar if you wish.

Cool , I can definitely use variation, especially animated and/or folding variants would be great, but have you ever considered going to the next level? By that I mean creating the most realistic hard science fiction warp drive to date?

Presenting the Alba Clockwork shielded Alcibiere Drive

sergiu-ikarus-final2.jpg?1420835656

The best thing is it animation

I found it sometime some time ago at : http://ikarus.artstation.com/projects/VgZ6b

I asked the artist why he made it and answered it was to demonstrate his new concept of a shield Alcubiere drive to overcome the hawking radiation that develops behind a warp bubble when warping space..

He even send me the original 3D files

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9xtuyfar5lj0gb/Alcubierre_Sergiu.rar?dl=0

I wonder if you can Kerbalize them it into a part model for a shielded warpdrive.

It will be hard, but I think it will definitely be worth the effort

Edited by FreeThinker

Last night i left my computer rendering overnight the full-length time-lapse of me texturing the Plock Lander Can, and when i leave my computer doing a job like that i usually also leave 3ds max doing something else at the same time. I thought how there are no images currently of my centrifuges up (which ill rectify soon, promise) and so i ended up with this.... Lifted straight out of 2001.

Parts used - 5m Plock Lander Can, 3.75m Theodor Centrispinnial, and the Polta Spacebus.

It also shows off how i "double designed" the Plock Lander Can (and my other lander cans) to look good as parts of a space station too. But i didnt know how good they would actually look in this role until now.

Maybe i should've had this as the weekly update video, heh.

Edited by Stevie_D

It seems like i've gone video crazy this week, but i guess thats just how it goes. Like london buses...

I've finally cleaned up the original post, and for me it seems like Photobucket's death was now a blessing in disguise; because gone are the old, small and cluttered renderings of multiple parts all at once, ... and instead comes this glorious HD 60fps video of nearly all the parts seen individually.

There's still about 10 pieces missing from the video for various reasons, but this is still about 95% of everything :)

This will probably be the end of the gravy train. Back to being hard at work on the mod, the video releases should go back to once a week.

Edited by Stevie_D

18 hours ago, Mekan1k said:

Please tell me there is an alpha download? Any testing? I have a beast of a computer and I can find conflicts very, very quickly if they arise.

The first alpha is coming in to view now, and not far off. I would have had it out by now, but i decided i wanted to have all the command modules fully textured instead of just colour mapped. This way, as i'm using the feedback from alpha 1 to fine tune the command modules, i can begin work on properly getting all the centrispinnials into the game and my workflow should be tidier :)

Edited by Stevie_D