Munless Night 1.3 Career Challenge

10 hours ago, zanie420 said:

is that a mod?

Start a new topic here

then keep adding posts and pics as you mission progresses.  It allows people to follow your progress ad make comments.  When you make some progress, you can click the little "share" icon at the top right of the latest post and it generates a link you can post in the Jool 5 forum, or here, or elsewhere if it ends up being applicable to a different challenge.

10 minutes ago, jonny said:

Hello all together,

I decided to take on this challenge and combine it with the  Munless Night Challenge  Caveman Evolved Challenge. So I guess it will take a while :wink:

So far, i made my first 5 missions:

Mission 1: very standard first hop
Mission 2: First Orbit
Mission 3/4: 2 Suborbital hops to get to some Biomes
Mission 5: The longest mission so far took me into a solar orbit for a couple of hours and gave me a whopping 216 science points.

Edit:

Mods
- [X] Science!
- KAC
- KER -- only in VAB so far

Edited by jonny

You know what, I might as well botch this challenge. A design fault on my Moho craft appeared, so i reloaded the quicksave. Guess what, dinosaurs are dinosaurs. The last time I did a quicksave was when Jeb was coming back from the Sun science mission. So that's what my save is on now. Oh well, I guess I'll try to do another easier challenge (psst @Jetski think of an easy yet hard one) .

Sorry for delay, I was slightly busy on work. Next part will be tomorrow (I hope): first mobile lab in Sun space, new antennas, new conception of space exploration and big scandal in Kerbin space agency with interplanetary relay satellites program (some misappropriation founded). Launches to Dune (expedition "Ares") and Moho (expedition "Hermes").

8 hours ago, Mesklin said:

Sorry for delay, I was slightly busy on work. Next part will be tomorrow (I hope): first mobile lab in Sun space, new antennas, new conception of space exploration and big scandal in Kerbin space agency with interplanetary relay satellites program (some misappropriation founded). Launches to Dune (expedition "Ares") and Moho (expedition "Hermes").

Excellent! Getting an MPL in Kerbol orbit early was an idea I abandoned. I thought about pushing my existing one out of Kerbin's SOI with another ship, but it was too valuable in LKO by that point in my strategy of returning with interplanetary science to process. I await seeing how you pull it off.

On 6/26/2017 at 9:00 AM, jonny said:

Edit:

Mods
- [X] Science!
- KAC
- KER -- only in VAB so far

I thought about using [X]Science! as I have in modded playthroughs.... it would indeed have helped with all my running about in the space center! I kept thinking the button with there and trying to hit it :wink:

On 6/27/2017 at 5:21 PM, jonny said:

Here we go, I made some more progress:
As I obviously can't compete in the lowest ingame-time category I guess i will try to unlock the tech tree with a low number of Missions/launches

Looking good @jonny.  I suspect you will have a challenging time working both these at the same time, but mad props if you pull it off.  Remember, you can't even do a flyby of the Mun or Minmus because the Worlds-First Contracts give you a bunch of sci and funds if you even enter the SOI.  I'll leave it up to @5thHorseman to decide how to score you :)

2 hours ago, Mesklin said:

Part 4: only half of announced information

Keep up the good work @Mesklin!

Part 6: Preparation "Ares" to departure (delivering additional expandable fuel tanks), departure "Ares" to Dune and "Hermes" to Moho, touristic and rescue contracts, opening technologies for ship to Dres.

Part 7: Launch and departure "Demetra" to Dres, Dune arriving for tanker "Enyo" and space lab "Ares", both with propulsive injection to Dune orbit (to high speed for air brake without heat shields)

Part 7: "Enyo" refueling operation on Ike orbit, Dune and multiple Ike manned landings, "Hermes" expedition was implemented finale correction before enter Moho SOI and prepared Moho lander for action

3 hours ago, Mesklin said:

Part 7: "Enyo" refueling operation on Ike orbit, Dune and multiple Ike manned landings, "Hermes" expedition was implemented finale correction before enter Moho SOI and prepared Moho lander for action

Looking good @Mesklin , congrats on unlocking the LV-N!

Edited by Jetski

417 Science from Duna SOI. I'm not sure which nodes to unlock next, but the next stop is Moho Dres.  That should be a whole lot easier because I have patched Conics and can launch up to 140t an 30 parts.

Edit:

I figured that Moho is not a very good destination for a low tech mission, due to its high dV requirement. Dres should be way easier... I guess. I never landed on Moho or Dres before.

Edited by jonny

8 hours ago, jonny said:

417 Science from Duna SOI. I'm not sure which nodes to unlock next, but the next stop is Moho.  That should be a whole lot easier because I have patched Conics and can launch up to 140t an 30 parts.

@jonny you are a rock star :)

I'm impressed at how far you have made it with a cripplingly low tech level.  Hopefully with 140T and patched conics this will start to get easier

On 9.7.2017 at 5:19 AM, zanie420 said:

I finally made it to Jool :)

I am impressed!!! Jool 5 in a SSTO. I didn't think about a SSTO for this, but it could be a good solution, as I currently run out of :funds: but got all the needed science from Eeloo. I will see if a SSTO is less expensive than a rocket, and if I can build one for 120,000 :funds:.

BTW: Here is my Eeloo mission:

3 hours ago, jonny said:

I am impressed!!! Jool 5 in a SSTO. I didn't think about a SSTO for this, but it could be a good solution, as I currently run out of :funds: but got all the needed science from Eeloo. I will see if a SSTO is less expensive than a rocket, and if I can build one for 120,000 :funds:.

I could send you the craft file.

Thanks, it was a LOT of trial and error over about a week. I had to give up on landing at Tylo with a Mk 2 plane. I could just NOT get enough oxidizer with that form factor to get TWR good enough on stock engines. I BARELY did it with Vall! I eagerly await a ruling from @sdj64, hoping to claim the Jool5 accomplished and low cost contender badges soon!

I have yet to make it to Eeloo or Gilly. I think I will do a grand tour next. Will need to come up with an Eve strategy, or just use this:

https://kerbalx.com/KergarinAerospace/Kergarin-Aerospace---Omega

Edited by zanie420

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go!! I Finished the Munless Night challenge with a Jool-5 mission.

I never had that much fun unlocking the entire tech tree before. Usually I end up with a Science Lab on Minmus to unlock all before I go interplanetary. But the limitations make the Gameplay very rewarding and fun.

4 hours ago, jonny said:

Here we go!! I Finished the Munless Night challenge with a Jool-5 mission.

I never had that much fun unlocking the entire tech tree before. Usually I end up with a Science Lab on Minmus to unlock all before I go interplanetary. But the limitations make the Gameplay very rewarding and fun.

Great job @jonny You get the badge, and top of the board for completing this the (really) hard way!

On 7/28/2017 at 1:44 AM, Mesklin said:

And last one report, challenge done with more then 7000 SP overshot (sorry for delay, I was distracted so many things from KSP).

@Mesklin great job!  I liked the extra science mining at Duna, well done.  You are added to the board!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.