[1.11.x] Earn Your Stripes 4.1 (01/03/2021) - Allowing Kerbals to earn an Orange Suit since 2017

severedsolo

It sounds like you are leaving the "random kerbal" option checked - but i get what you are saying, because I don't give an option to filter those classes out, you can't stop them from generating.

Should be easy enough to fix, traits are just strings, they are easy to check for.

20 hours ago, severedsolo said:

It sounds like you are leaving the "random kerbal" option checked - but i get what you are saying, because I don't give an option to filter those classes out, you can't stop them from generating.

Should be easy enough to fix, traits are just strings, they are easy to check for.

Hmm.  I wonder if this could be configurable easily - In this case it was a problem as none of the Kerbals could pilot or gather science, but that was basically bad luck.  I mean, I'd be happy to start the game with four Colonists for instance.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/149488-14x-colonists/&

19 hours ago, DStaal said:

Hmm.  I wonder if this could be configurable easily - In this case it was a problem as none of the Kerbals could pilot or gather science, but that was basically bad luck.  I mean, I'd be happy to start the game with four Colonists for instance.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/149488-14x-colonists/&

It's an easy enough fix, I just need to parse the experience trait configs rather than the lazy string checking it's currently doing. If I do it right, it should just work with any mod. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is probably one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make, but it’s time to face the truth.

Regular followers will probably have noticed that I’ve been a bit less communicative recently, and when I do reply, the replies can be a bit curt.

I mod for myself, and the truth is that I really haven’t played KSP since 1.4.x came out (even then it was becoming less and less). This means that I just don’t have the motivation to bring stuff up to date, or address issues, and quite frankly it’s showing.

Every time I load up the forums, or get an email on one of my threads with a bug, I groan to myself. This is not a reflection on you guys, you are all almost exclusively a very nice bunch of people who are very helpful in helping me track down issues, and the rare one or two who haven’t been have usually been put off by my generally grumpy attitude to those kind of requests, so don’t tend to stick around. The problem is with me, I just don’t want to do this any more, and that’s not fair on you guys, who need someone who will actually dedicate themselves to it.

With that, it’s time for me to announce my retirement from modding. I don’t plan to just disappear, I’ll still be around, and I plan to get all the mods to a point where someone else could take them over easily (at the very least they will be getting a 1.7 update), and I’ll try and resolve any outstanding issues on Github before I call it a day. I still want to be a part of the community, I just don’t want to mod.

I believe everything is licensed MIT, but for anything that isn’t, it will be changed over to make any handover as smooth as possible. If anyone is interested in adopting any of my mods, please let me know.

I’d like to thank every one of you for your support and encouragement over the years, I’d like to thank the amazing modding community for all their help, especially the guys on Discord (you know who you are) and just generally everyone on this forum for being awesome.

The fact that somebody like me, who started with literally zero programming experience can become one of the big names in modding (well, I like to think I am anyway) simply by teaching myself and following other modders examples, is testament to how helpful this entire community can be.

If your just interested in my retirement, you can stop reading here. If you’d like to know what I’ll be doing next, check the spoiler (it's in no way KSP related just FYI).

Spoiler

I’ve mentioned several times that I have an autistic daughter. One of the things that REALLY bugs me, is that there are very few apps that allow you to use PECS* in a helpful way, especially when children are first learning it. To start with, children don’t understand symbols, you use photographs instead, but the apps almost exclusively have symbols and nothing else.

So, what I want to do, is use the programming skills that I have learnt here, to develop an app that will allow parents of autistic children to take pictures of objects, record their parents voice saying what that object is, and then when the child pushes the photo on the app, it will say the word.

*For those who don’t know, PECS stands for “Picture Exchange Communication System” - basically for non-verbal autistic people it gives them a voice, they can communicate what they want / how they are feeling by handing you a picture/symbol of that thing/emotion etc.

• 2 weeks later...

*cough* so I was going to call EYS done, but Squad have finally delivered something I've wanted for years.....

Orange EVA suits in the new DLC (see: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/184391-ksp-loading-breaking-ground-new-suit/& _) means that veterans can FINALLY have their own distinguishable EVA suits, without needing TextureReplacer etc. (the vintage suits don't count, because they look out of place along side the "Nasa" style suits, the new ones don't)

Now, I'm assuming this is going to be locked behind a DLC paywall as the MH suits were, but assuming that the coding to assign a kerbals suit hasn't changed, I might just squeeze an update in that gives veterans those new fancy suits if you own the DLC.

Edited by severedsolo

On 5/4/2019 at 6:13 PM, severedsolo said:

Hide contents

I’ve mentioned several times that I have an autistic daughter. One of the things that REALLY bugs me, is that there are very few apps that allow you to use PECS* in a helpful way, especially when children are first learning it. To start with, children don’t understand symbols, you use photographs instead, but the apps almost exclusively have symbols and nothing else.

So, what I want to do, is use the programming skills that I have learnt here, to develop an app that will allow parents of autistic children to take pictures of objects, record their parents voice saying what that object is, and then when the child pushes the photo on the app, it will say the word.

*For those who don’t know, PECS stands for “Picture Exchange Communication System” - basically for non-verbal autistic people it gives them a voice, they can communicate what they want / how they are feeling by handing you a picture/symbol of that thing/emotion etc.

Damn, I feel for you. I have an autistic brother and it was a hell of a job teaching him how to speak via flashcards.

He communicates too much now.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Earn Your Stripes 2.2 Released

• Recompiled against KSP 1.7.2 (requires a minimum of KSP 1.7.1)
  • Veterans will now use the Orange EVA suits by default if you have Breaking Ground installed (can be turned off in the settings).

@severedsolo So quick note, with the latest version of this mod, KSP 1.7.2 and breaking ground, I'm seeing double options for engineers and scientists in the UI. clicking the button on one disables or enabled both scientists or engineers, so it's acting like the 2 buttons are actually 1, mod seems to work other than this, just thought i'd report it.

CEPE1ED.jpg

15 minutes ago, vardicd said:

@severedsolo So quick note, with the latest version of this mod, KSP 1.7.2 and breaking ground, I'm seeing double options for engineers and scientists in the UI. clicking the button on one disables or enabled both scientists or engineers, so it's acting like the 2 buttons are actually 1, mod seems to work other than this, just thought i'd report it.

CEPE1ED.jpg

Thanks, I noticed this myself yesterday. I probably put an if in the wrong place, that's usually what causes those errors. Will get it looked into.

• 3 months later...

Update on 1.8 compatibility

I know I said I was going to get an update out this weekend, but KSP 1.8 broke MADLAD badly, so I spent most of Saturday fixing that. Today I've been working on Earn Your Stripes and hey guess what, that's badly broken too!

It's reached the point where I'm going to have to rewrite a large portion of the code to get it working again, so... I'm just not going to right now. The 1.8 update will come when it's done, but just a fair warning that it's going to take a while.

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Update on 1.8 compatibility

I know I said I was going to get an update out this weekend, but KSP 1.8 broke MADLAD badly, so I spent most of Saturday fixing that. Today I've been working on Earn Your Stripes and hey guess what, that's badly broken too!

It's reached the point where I'm going to have to rewrite a large portion of the code to get it working again, so... I'm just not going to right now. The 1.8 update will come when it's done, but just a fair warning that it's going to take a while.

Thanks for your hard work.

Earn Your Stripes 3.0 Released

• Recompiled against KSP 1.8 / .Net 4.x / Flight Tracker 2.0
  • Save Upgrade path from Earn Your Stripes 1.x has been removed.
  • Generate Starting Crew rewritten completely - should be much less garbagey and more efficient now.
  • "Do Something Amazing" is now on by default
  • Strip Existing Honours is now on by default
  • Fixed a bug where settings would not be honoured if you started a new game after loading an existing save in the same session.
  • Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I did alot of optimisation.

Don't forget to update Flight Tracker

Edited by severedsolo

11 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Earn Your Stripes 3.0 Released

• Recompiled against KSP 1.8 / .Net 4.x / Flight Tracker 2.0
  • Save Upgrade path from Earn Your Stripes 1.x has been removed.
  • Generate Starting Crew rewritten completely - should be much less garbagey and more efficient now.
  • "Do Something Amazing" is now on by default
  • Strip Existing Honours is now on by default
  • Fixed a bug where settings would not be honoured if you started a new game after loading an existing save in the same session.
  • Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I did alot of optimisation.

Nice.  I'll be able to add it back in, was missing it

Very pleased to add this in to my 1.8 l collection.

One small request though... I like to increase the hours required to get Veteran status to double the default but it's really tricky to do as the scale of the slider in settings is massive. 

I edit the save in the end to get what I want.

Is it possible to lower the scale of the settings bar to make smaller increases easier? I can't remember the maximum but I'm sure it was 1000's of hours.

5 hours ago, Cruesoe said:

Very pleased to add this in to my 1.8 l collection.

One small request though... I like to increase the hours required to get Veteran status to double the default but it's really tricky to do as the scale of the slider in settings is massive. 

I edit the save in the end to get what I want.

Is it possible to lower the scale of the settings bar to make smaller increases easier? I can't remember the maximum but I'm sure it was 1000's of hours.

Yes I know the sliders are awful, but changing them from the default is not an option, because then other people complain that it doesn't go high enough. It's one of those "you can't please everybody" situations.

Originally, the plan for this update was to move them to a Text Input box, but that means writing a new UI for them, as the stock settings don't support this. It has taken me 4 days of solid work to get the current UI looking how I wanted it, and to be honest, by the time it was done, I was a little fatigued and went "sod it, ship it, the rest can wait" - I have other mods that also need to be updated and EYS has sucked up alot more of my time than I originally intended this week.

If you'd like to raise an issue on Github I'll try and get it into the next update.

Yes I know the sliders are awful, but changing them from the default is not an option

Originally, the plan for this update was to move them to a Text Input box, but that means writing a new UI for them, as the stock settings don't support this.

As a modder, I would love to see this and am asking in advance to use it in my mods. :D

15 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

As a modder, I would love to see this and am asking in advance to use it in my mods. :D

It can be done using PopUpDialog but it's not the most intuitive thing in the world to work with (as a modder, for users it's much friendlier). I'll ping you a link to the class if /when it gets done so you can see how I did it.

Edited by severedsolo

This thread is simply amazing to read. So much heart and effort being poured into this, great job. Also... you say you're retiring, then post an update. You say 1.8 support will take some time, then 3 days later post a BIG update :D Big thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.