[1.11.x] Earn Your Stripes 4.1 (01/03/2021) - Allowing Kerbals to earn an Orange Suit since 2017

severedsolo

@severedsolo Thank you, I love the idea for this mod.

I've gone and set the default to 25 missions and 100 hours, I'd go higher if that was an option.

do you think you could set a minimum duration for a mission to count ? eg Val could do a dozen missions early in the game testing parts < 1 hour each.

I'd love the option to require a mission (or multiple) to another SOI in order to earn the veteran status. Or possibly instead, Veteran status is only achieved after the Kerbal reaches experience level 3-5.

I wonder if @RoverDude could implement something like this for giving the MKS Kolonists some progression. hmm private thoughts, Kerbals come in as Kolonists, need to get to XP level 2, then you can choose a specialty for them. once they reach veteran status, they could become one of the three Grand veterans (Pilot Engineer Scientist)

Just now, FrontLineFodder said:

do you think you could set a minimum duration for a mission to count ? eg Val could do a dozen missions early in the game testing parts < 1 hour each.

It's possible, but perhaps wait until for the changes I'm working on first, as they may change the way you feel (see below).

1 minute ago, FrontLineFodder said:

I'd love the option to require a mission (or multiple) to another SOI in order to earn the veteran status. Or possibly instead, Veteran status is only achieved after the Kerbal reaches experience level 3-5.

The next version will have an option to require a "World First" to be completed before veteran status will be awarded. So essentially you will have to keep pushing to new SOIs.

An immediate thought I had for an option, at least in career/science games, would be to have the requirements increment as orange suits are awarded.  This way, you aren't faced with the choice of "no orange suits for a long time" v/s "by the mid to late game everyone and their duck has an orange suit."

I'd say to either make the increment values sliders or to use a fixed fraction of the initial values.

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

The next version will have an option to require a "World First" to be completed before veteran status will be awarded. So essentially you will have to keep pushing to new SOIs.

ooh that would be interesting, I like. I assume it would exclude the minor World first achievements (land speed, height, distance records, etc) and be for all crew in that mission.

That would make an interesting twist. The number of veterans would still be limited.

Keep the veterans safe, you cant be the first to encounter Eve a second time.

6 hours ago, FrontLineFodder said:

I wonder if @RoverDude could implement something like this for giving the MKS Kolonists some progression. hmm private thoughts, Kerbals come in as Kolonists, need to get to XP level 2, then you can choose a specialty for them. once they reach veteran status, they could become one of the three Grand veterans (Pilot Engineer Scientist)

While that sounds interesting, I'm thinking it would actually be super annoying in practice.  The problem is that it's the exact opposite order of when you need them: Early game you need the three main professions, to advance your space program.  By late game you barely need any of the main professions, most of your Kerbals will be doing low-level work.

Great mod! Love it and congrats on the work done with the release. Just an idea for possible expansion... (Highly likely outside of scope though)

Instead of just White or Orange suits - would it be possible to have an option to integrate with the TextureReplacerReplaced mod so that you can set what suit texture specific levels get? Maybe even multiple promotion levels?

Edited by wile1411

52 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

Instead of just White or Orange suits - would it be possible to have an option to integrate with the TextureReplacerReplaced mod so that you can set what suit texture specific levels get? Maybe even multiple promotion levels?

TRR already has the option to assigning suits by experience level.

What you are proposing is having multiple "levels" of veteranhood, which is just not possible. It's literally a "true/false" flag which the mod flips.

EarnYourStripes also currently doesn't work properly with TRR, but I've reported that to them.

On 12/06/2017 at 8:44 AM, FrontLineFodder said:

I assume it would exclude the minor World first achievements (land speed, height, distance records, etc) and be for all crew in that mission.

Yup. Actually it won't even bother to check until a kerbal has reached orbit, so the minor World Firsts should already be done by then. It will be all crew on the Active Vessel (so if a 3 man pod does a flyby of Mun, all 3 would get the credit, but if it's "performed a spacewalk around Mun" then only the kerbal who left the pod would get it)

Edited by severedsolo
Naughty Typo

3 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Great mod! Love it and congrats on the work done with the release. Just an idea for possible expansion... (Highly likely outside of scope though)

You can already use TRR (or TR) to use the suits you want (veteran or not) that account the level of your kerbal. BUT you need the proper suit pack (with all the classes & levels and their veteran version)

For now, I think that the only suit pack that have all classes is the one from Cetera but expect new suit pack soon :)

• 1 month later...
On 09/06/2017 at 3:03 PM, severedsolo said:

Absolutely. To be honest the only reason I didn't is because I  haven't checked whether they play nicely together. I know Crew R&R doesn't always like it when mods interfere with the roster.

All I'm really doing is flipping the Protocrewmember.veteran flag, if Crew R&R is OK with this I'll be happy to recommend it. (I'm so happy you brought that mod back).

Regarding CKAN, I'll put a PR up later, but I'm not a fan of CKAN so I'll only be supporting manual installs. (not that this is complicated, but as I said, not a fan)

was going to ask about how much later, but I see the question above regarding 1.2.2, so I guess Ill have to wait for my other mods to get updated to 1.3 then. This looks like a pretty cool mod!

Submitted this to CKAN for everyone's Kerbal Enjoyment.

NOTE TO severedsolo:  You actually don't have to do anything to support CKAN.  They just need(ed) some information.  The mod actually pulls directly from the GitHub Repo when it installs.  CKAN is effectively just a list of links and a "copy these files from X GitHub Repo to Y directory on this computer" script.

Edited by Leo_G.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2017 at 4:51 PM, 15Redstones said:

Do all Kerbals who have orange suits respawn or only the original 4?

My apologies, I've only just seen this. I thought all kerbals respawned if you had that option turned on (don't use it myself).

If I am wrong though the answer is, I don't know. Functionally speaking this mod treats all the "new" veterans the same as the big 4 - it just turns the "veteran" flag to true. However, it may be that if respawning for vets only is a thing, that the big 4 are hardcoded - as I said I don't know.

Moving on:

Earn Your Stripes 1.2 Released!

• Recompiled for 1.3.1
  • Added option to make Kerbals achieve a world first (after they have been to orbit for the first time) before being considered for promotion.

Additional Info: Apparently if mods use the Difficulty Settings menu they are causing 1.3.0 to crash if compiled against 1.3.1. As this mod uses that menu, I would expect the new release to not be backwards compatible.

Edited by severedsolo

@severedsolo

I'm not sure if this is an issue or I'm too daft to figure it out. I'm very much a noob with this kinda thing. I've updated to 1.3.1 and I'm doing my mod installs in batches to see what works. I'm doing this solely through ckan as I don't trust myself to do it manually. This mod seems to crash my game during loading. I can see on here and Github that you've already recompiled for 1.3.1 so I can only assume that ckan is downloading the wrong version maybe? Or does your comment above mean you've removed the 1.3.1 recompile?

31 minutes ago, fowlplayuk said:

@severedsolo

I'm not sure if this is an issue or I'm too daft to figure it out. I'm very much a noob with this kinda thing. I've updated to 1.3.1 and I'm doing my mod installs in batches to see what works. I'm doing this solely through ckan as I don't trust myself to do it manually. This mod seems to crash my game during loading. I can see on here and Github that you've already recompiled for 1.3.1 so I can only assume that ckan is downloading the wrong version maybe? Or does your comment above mean you've removed the 1.3.1 recompile?

I've put the 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 zips into the same release, due to the naming convention I used, it looks like the 1.3.0 version is the first in the list, I would say that CKAN is probably just grabbing that.

It's simple enough for me to fix, but until I get home and sort it out you can do this:

Let CKAN install the wrong version, then manually overwrite it with the version that does NOT have 1.3.0 in the title from here: https://github.com/severedsolo/MonthlyBudgets/releases

CKAN won't notice and you'll still get updates when I post them.

7 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Let CKAN install the wrong version, then manually overwrite it with the version that does NOT have 1.3.0 in the title from here: https://github.com/severedsolo/MonthlyBudgets/releases

I'm not home either so I'll give it a go when I get back. I feel like I might be missing something though...is that link for a different mod?

23 minutes ago, fowlplayuk said:

I'm not home either so I'll give it a go when I get back. I feel like I might be missing something though...is that link for a different mod?

D'oh - I've been thinking about monthly budgets all morning, automatically pulled up the repo for that one - sorry about that.

This is the correct link https://github.com/severedsolo/EarnYourStripes/releases

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

CKAN should be fixed shortly, once the changes propogate through. I've pushed a dummy release to keep it happy.

Not sure if I've been a little eager, but CKAN still pulled the wrong one when I just tried.

I've taken it off Github as you suggested and the problem is cured. Thanks for the help

On 07/10/2017 at 6:27 PM, severedsolo said:

Earn Your Stripes 1.2 Released!

• Recompiled for 1.3.1
  • Added option to make Kerbals achieve a world first (after they have been to orbit for the first time) before being considered for promotion.

Additional Info: Apparently if mods use the Difficulty Settings menu they are causing 1.3.0 to crash if compiled against 1.3.1. As this mod uses that menu, I would expect the new release to not be backwards compatible.

On 11/10/2017 at 11:17 AM, severedsolo said:

I've put the 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 zips into the same release, due to the naming convention I used, it looks like the 1.3.0 version is the first in the list, I would say that CKAN is probably just grabbing that.

It's simple enough for me to fix, but until I get home and sort it out you can do this:

On 11/10/2017 at 5:03 PM, severedsolo said:

CKAN should be fixed shortly, once the changes propogate through. I've pushed a dummy release to keep it happy.

On 11/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, fowlplayuk said:

Not sure if I've been a little eager, but CKAN still pulled the wrong one when I just tried.

I've taken it off Github as you suggested and the problem is cured. Thanks for the help

@politas could you take a look at the above please. Looks like a more complicated work around that is necessary. I think this a case for resetting MAX_KSP_VERSION on older release. Can you cap Earn Your Stripes version 1.1.1 to max KSP 1.3.0. Then that way the new release just needs one file as before with MIN KSP 1.3.1. to ensure compatability. Ckan will then know exactly what the original intention was here. People will only see the right version of the mod for the current install then. ckan will download the right one. Looking the above might also help with recent work on version control with other mods.

@severedsolo  sorry to intrude. Trying to help here. The issue of backward compatability recently came up on the ckan thread. Metadata in this case might require some fine tuning and by calling on @politas for help. I was hoping that it saves you time going back over the same ground. That causes a little bit of frustration especially when your not a ckan fan. With a bit of extra support here things could made easier for you long term.

2 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

@severedsolo  sorry to intrude. Trying to help here. The issue of backward compatability recently came up on the ckan thread. Metadata in this case might require some fine tuning and by calling on @politas for help. I was hoping that it saves you time going back over the same ground. That causes a little bit of frustration especially when your not a ckan fan. With a bit of extra support here things could made easier for you long term.

No need for the apology, I appreciate the help. I'm surprised this hasn't worked though, the meta all looks ok to me. 1.1.1 is showing as 1.3.0 compatible, and release 1.2.0.1 is showing as 1.3.1 compatible (and I've updated the AVC file too) - but as you said probably better if the CKAN guys take a look at it.

Hey @severedsolo

Me again :) I'm not sure if I'm expecting this mod to do something it's not built for, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I've stripped the "big four" of their orange suits, sent them out doing stuff (as you do), but I've noticed it doesn't seem to affect them in IVA

So in my save, Valentina doesn't have her orange suit yet, and that shows in the astronaut complex, yet if I put her in a pod, and put it on the launchpad, she's in the bottom right corner wearing her orange suit. That goes the same the other way around too. I gained a scientist from a rescue mission, who's accumulated enough flight time to get an orange suit. In the astronaut complex she has it, but in IVA, she doesn't.

They ALL wear white suits on EVA. I get that. They gotta suit up to go outside right?

If it's not supposed to change the IVA suit then I'm cool with that, but if it is, then have I ticked (or not ticked) something in the menus?

If it's got something to do with Texture Replacer, then I have to admit I'm not sure how to use that

23 minutes ago, fowlplayuk said:

If it's got something to do with Texture Replacer, then I have to admit I'm not sure how to use that

You must be running an old version of texture replacer, the orange suits were hard coded. It's fixed in newer builds of Texture Replacer Replaced though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.