[1.11.x] Earn Your Stripes 4.1 (01/03/2021) - Allowing Kerbals to earn an Orange Suit since 2017

severedsolo

It bothers me a little bit that Jeb, Bob, Bill and Val get "veteran status" without really doing anything, whereas my Kerbals who have been halfway around the galaxy don't get anything for their troubles.

So, I fixed it. With Earn Your Stripes, once a kerbal has performed x amount of flights, and logged x amount of hours (configurable in the Difficulty Settings Menu, by default it's 5 Flights/2 Kerbal days of flight time) - they will be awarded an orange suit. You can also strip the "Big 4" of their orange suits until they have earned them (optional, defaults to off).

I know, I know no pics no clicks, but there isn't really alot to show you, it just silently tracks your kerbals, and changes the suit when appropriate. Here's a screenshot of the most visible part of the mod though - with the Big 4 being stripped of their rank and Neilmon Kerman being awarded Veteran Status.

5XGufpS.png

A video spotlight by Kottabos Games:

License: MIT

Recommended Mod: Crew R&R by @linuxgurugamer - give all your kerbals a fair crack at veteran hood by enforcing rests between missions.

REQUIRED DEPENDENCY: FLIGHTTRACKER

DOWNLOAD HERE

Source On GitHub

Donate to my coffee fund

downloads_wordmark_navy@2x.png

Edited by severedsolo

21 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Great idea! I was so excited I tried to download even though I'm reading this on my phone :confused:

Yeah, I always read these from work and forget to download them when I get home, too :huh: 

28 minutes ago, jpkerman said:

Could a further option to restrict the orange suit by class?  I would like pilots only to have the orange suit.

Done.

Earn Your Stripes 1.1 Released

• Added ability to restrict Veteran Status by class (note - if you've turned "remove existing honours" on you'll probably need to reset it, as I moved the settings around)

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

Done.

Earn Your Stripes 1.1 Released

• Added ability to restrict Veteran Status by class (note - if you've turned "remove existing honours" on you'll probably need to reset it, as I moved the settings around)

Thank you very much.

Neat. How about an option to award it based on XP earned? That way an orange suit could reflect a "six-star" status associated with having traveled to three or four other planets (which would be about half of the stock solar system). After all, in stock KSP you can just leave someone in orbit for years with no effort or ill effect - the hard part is designing the mission architecture to get them there in the first place.

Or maybe a kerbal has to be the first to do something to earn veteran status? First to orbit the homeworld, first to walk on a given moon, etc. That way you could end up with a large but still limited veteran corps by careful management of ever more distant goals. Pretty sure the game tracks achievement milestones by kerbal somewhere in the sfs structure.

Edited by PocketBrotector

12 hours ago, severedsolo said:

It bothers me a little bit that Jeb, Bob, Bill and Val get "veteran status" without really doing anything, whereas my Kerbals who have been halfway around the galaxy don't get anything for their troubles.

So, I fixed it. With Earn Your Stripes, once a kerbal has performed x amount of flights, and logged x amount of hours (configurable in the Difficulty Settings Menu, by default it's 5 Flights/2 Kerbal days of flight time) - they will be awarded an orange suit. You can also strip the "Big 4" of their orange suits until they have earned them (optional, defaults to off).

I know, I know no pics no clicks, but there isn't really alot to show you, it just silently tracks your kerbals, and changes the suit when appropriate. Here's a screenshot of the most visible part of the mod though - with the Big 4 being stripped of their rank and Neilmon Kerman being awarded Veteran Status.

@severedsolo This mod will work well with Crew R&R.  I'm going to make this a recommended suggestion for that, could you do the same?

Also, would you like me to put this into CKAN?

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@severedsolo This mod will work well with Crew R&R.  I'm going to make this a recommended suggestion for that, could you do the same?

Also, would you like me to put this into CKAN?

Absolutely. To be honest the only reason I didn't is because I  haven't checked whether they play nicely together. I know Crew R&R doesn't always like it when mods interfere with the roster.

All I'm really doing is flipping the Protocrewmember.veteran flag, if Crew R&R is OK with this I'll be happy to recommend it. (I'm so happy you brought that mod back).

Regarding CKAN, I'll put a PR up later, but I'm not a fan of CKAN so I'll only be supporting manual installs. (not that this is complicated, but as I said, not a fan)

15 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

Removing orange from veterans seems not working properly

Probably due to the changes to class restrictions, would you mind providing a log and your save?

Nothing jumping out at me from the code, but I'm on mobile so will look into it properly a bit later

Edited by severedsolo

3 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Absolutely. To be honest the only reason I didn't is because I  haven't checked whether they play nicely together. I know Crew R&R doesn't always like it when mods interfere with the roster.

All I'm really doing is flipping the Protocrewmember.veteran flag, if Crew R&R is OK with this I'll be happy to recommend it. (I'm so happy you brought that mod back).

Regarding CKAN, I'll put a PR up later, but I'm not a fan of CKAN so I'll only be supporting manual installs. (not that this is complicated, but as I said, not a fan)

Feel free to ping me on any CKAN issues

I haven't yet tested it with Crew R&R, but I will.

All CrewR&R does is change the rosterStatus of the crew when entering and leaving  various scenes, and update the label on the CrewListItem

18 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Probably due to the changes to class restrictions, would you mind providing a log and your save?

Nothing jumping out at me from the code, but I'm on mobile so will look into it properly a bit later

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-E-xsUCAQaYjl0WmoxcGdYQ0U

This is not a big problem for me to be honest. I can just manually edit save file to set veteran=false for JBBV :)

Interesting mod.

20 hours ago, severedsolo said:

I second this ^.

If I understand correctly, the kerbals gain their stripes when validating the x th flight and y th flight hour when returning home. Wouldn't be an idea/way to gain the stripes also in a lab (just as stars/level up)?

See you,

Vive_moi

1 hour ago, Vive_moi said:

Wouldn't be an idea/way to gain the stripes also in a lab (just as stars/level up)?

No, they need to go to warehouse to get a new suit. Your variant is like lab has tardis-warehouse of infinite volume for all infinite possible promotiones :D

Edited by ZobrAA

6 hours ago, Vive_moi said:

If I understand correctly, the kerbals gain their stripes when validating the x th flight and y th flight hour when returning home. Wouldn't be an idea/way to gain the stripes also in a lab (just as stars/level up)?

Official Line: Severedsolo Industries recognises the brave efforts of our kerbalnauts and will issue each veteran with their own suit at the end of a successful mission

Actual Line: It's alot easier (and better for performance) to listen to onVesselRecovery than track these things constantly.

@ZobrAA - I've found your issue I think, testing the fix now.

15 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

Neat. How about an option to award it based on XP earned? That way an orange suit could reflect a "six-star" status associated with having traveled to three or four other planets (which would be about half of the stock solar system). After all, in stock KSP you can just leave someone in orbit for years with no effort or ill effect - the hard part is designing the mission architecture to get them there in the first place.

Or maybe a kerbal has to be the first to do something to earn veteran status? First to orbit the homeworld, first to walk on a given moon, etc. That way you could end up with a large but still limited veteran corps by careful management of ever more distant goals. Pretty sure the game tracks achievement milestones by kerbal somewhere in the sfs structure.

Very much like this idea. Will be investigating it.

Earn Your Stripes 1.1.1 Released

• Fixed bug where veteran status would not be stripped away properly (thanks @ZobrAA)

Edited by severedsolo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.