[1.11.x] Earn Your Stripes 4.1 (01/03/2021) - Allowing Kerbals to earn an Orange Suit since 2017

severedsolo

1 hour ago, avalancha said:

This thread is simply amazing to read. So much heart and effort being poured into this, great job. Also... you say you're retiring, then post an update. You say 1.8 support will take some time, then 3 days later post a BIG update :D Big thanks

I'm very lucky to have made some very good friends in this community, who when I was having a low moment when I announced my retirement, picked me up and convinced me to carry on.

As for the 1.8 support taking some time, at the time I wrote that I genuinely meant it :P - I had hit a roadblock and was getting frustrated, and intended to walk away for a week. Then I went to bed the answer came to me, and that was that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 1 month later...

Maybe this is more a question for the FlightTracker thread, but where is all the statistics on hours and flights stored? I looked through the save file and noticed that under the roster is the default flights and achievements log, but I can't find anything about flight time. Where does this show up, or, more specifically, do kerbals have to be recovered first to generate the new entries in the roster by flight tracker?

Basically I added this mod after I played for a while, and I'd like to manually update flight hours and flights for my current kerbals.

2 hours ago, Vivalas said:

Maybe this is more a question for the FlightTracker thread, but where is all the statistics on hours and flights stored? I looked through the save file and noticed that under the roster is the default flights and achievements log, but I can't find anything about flight time. Where does this show up, or, more specifically, do kerbals have to be recovered first to generate the new entries in the roster by flight tracker?

FlightTracker stores it's data in the "FlightTrackerScenario" config node. IIRC a kerbal has to be rolled out to the pad to generate save data for it.

• 1 month later...

Earn Your Stripes 3.0.1 Released

• Recompiled against Flight Tracker 3.0 (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE 2.x BRANCH OF FLIGHT TRACKER)
  • Fixed bug where Astronaut Complex Override would continuously attempt to override when no Kerbals were Available.
  • More Optimisation

• 3 weeks later...

In previous versions, the astronaut complex would display the flight hours of each kerbal. It does not anymore. Is it normal?

Plus when I go to Astronaut complex, my Final Frontier icon doesn't work anymore (possible conflict between the two mods?) unless I come back from another trip.

Both EYS and FlightTracker are up to date, (checked a few days ago) as well as Final Frontier.

And I'm on 1.8.1 with latest Kopernicus and JNSQ.

Does the flight hour tracker needs building upgrades to work? My Astronaut complex is currently at lvl2, R&D is at lvl1 And two of the kerbals have already accomplished a mission being a dozen hours in LKO.

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

On 2/9/2020 at 2:28 AM, Quoniam Kerman said:

In previous versions, the astronaut complex would display the flight hours of each kerbal. It does not anymore. Is it normal?

Plus when I go to Astronaut complex, my Final Frontier icon doesn't work anymore (possible conflict between the two mods?) unless I come back from another trip.

Both EYS and FlightTracker are up to date, (checked a few days ago) as well as Final Frontier.

And I'm on 1.8.1 with latest Kopernicus and JNSQ.

Does the flight hour tracker needs building upgrades to work? My Astronaut complex is currently at lvl2, R&D is at lvl1 And two of the kerbals have already accomplished a mission being a dozen hours in LKO.

I'll need a log for that please.

I think you mod break something. When your mod is installed i can´t click anywhere in the spacecenter. All mouseclicks get blocked. Tested this only with your mod installed.

Here a Log:

Logfile

Edited by Wurmi
added logfile

@Wurmi, I've removed the log file from your post.

Large blocks of text like logs can cause formatting problems for some people, including mobile users.  Please upload your log file to a file sharing site, such as Google Drive or similar, and post the link here.

@severedsolo and anyone else who might use this mod, be aware, there is currently a bug in 1.9 with the 'high tech' making history suit, haven't seen it on the vintage suit yet, but anytime a kerbal becomes unfocused on eva, the game defaults that kerbal's helmet to off, and if you're on an airless body, when you refocus on them, they die.

9 minutes ago, vardicd said:

@severedsolo and anyone else who might use this mod, be aware, there is currently a bug in 1.9 with the 'high tech' making history suit, haven't seen it on the vintage suit yet, but anytime a kerbal becomes unfocused on eva, the game defaults that kerbal's helmet to off, and if you're on an airless body, when you refocus on them, they die.

I can probably force the helmet to appear in EYS for now, but thanks for the heads up

3 hours ago, vardicd said:

If only i hadn't had to lose several of my veteran kerbals on the mun to figure out the common thread.

It's a bit more insidious than that - it can happen with any suit, but the effort required to workaround it is probably more than it's worth considering Squad are aware and working on it.

Basically: it's caused by a Kerbal removing their helmet on Kerbin, recovering with the helmet off and then going to an airless body. My guess is going to be some kind of loading order problem? As in, the game is checking if the kerbal should die before it's finished OnLoad (the helmet state is correctly saved in the persistence file, until you actually try to load them up).

Also @Wurmi I think I've reproduced your issue. Did you happen to drop EYS into an existing save?

Edited by severedsolo

Earn Your Stripes 3.0.2 Released

• Recompile against KSP 1.9
  • Fixed flight hours not showing in Astronaut Complex
  • First Kerbaliser will no longer attempt to run when dropped into existing games where Kerbals are out on missions.

@Wurmi - this should fix your error. Let me know if it doesn't.

6 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Basically: it's caused by a Kerbal removing their helmet on Kerbin, recovering with the helmet off and then going to an airless body. My guess is going to be some kind of loading order problem?

Do you mean that it can happen if they've ever removed their helmet on kerbin at some point, like the game can call back some really old state? because in at least one case, my most recent, he'd already completed 2 spacewalks around the Mun to gather science from 2 orbiting probes, before I'd sent him down to the surface of the Mun to collect science from a probe lander. I switched to a rover that was just outside of physics loading range, and when i drove it into range he died, so it's not like he was fresh from a kerbin eva with his helmet off, and I guess I've just gotten lucky that it's never happened to any of my kerbals with the classic suits, because I've had every kerbal take their helmets off on kerbin. The first time it happened to me, was an instance where i had 3 kerbals land on Mun in eva chairs, and when I switched away and they got unloaded and i came back, only the kerbal in the fancy suit went poof, so I guess lucky.

Just now, vardicd said:

Do you mean that it can happen if they've ever removed their helmet on kerbin at some point, like the game can call back some really old state?

I've not done any testing that's that in depth, but I did a little digging after you reported it, but it seems reasonable. I suspect any kerbal who removes their helmet and is recovered in that state will have that problem. - the workaround I guess would be to take the helmet off and put it back on again before recovering? I can't be certain though.

Here's the bug report https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24871

I was only able to reproduce it after recovering the kerbal with no helmet.

1 minute ago, severedsolo said:

I've not done any testing that's that in depth, but I did a little digging after you reported it, but it seems reasonable. I suspect any kerbal who removes their helmet and is recovered in that state will have that problem. - the workaround I guess would be to take the helmet off and put it back on again before recovering? I can't be certain though.

Here's the bug report https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24871

I was only able to reproduce it after recovering the kerbal with no helmet.

Yeah I'm not certain, for safety sake, I've adjusted my playstyle to always make sure there is a crew pod of some kind nearby to be able to stick my kerbals in if I'm going to switch away, no leaving kerbals in chairs or on eva, because apparently it can happen at any point, no matter how many eva's they've done since they've had their helmets off on kerbin. just better safe than sorry, until squad gets it fixed, hopefully in the 1.9.1 patch that will eventually be released.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:26 PM, severedsolo said:

Earn Your Stripes 3.0.2 Released

• Recompile against KSP 1.9
  • Fixed flight hours not showing in Astronaut Complex
  • First Kerbaliser will no longer attempt to run when dropped into existing games where Kerbals are out on missions.

@Wurmi - this should fix your error. Let me know if it doesn't.

thanks, yes it fixed my error.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! Is there a way to make veterans have the classic orange suits and the other kerbinauts have white? All of my veterans have the odd sci-fi suit and I'm hoping to revert back to the old designs.

25 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hello! Is there a way to make veterans have the classic orange suits and the other kerbinauts have white? All of my veterans have the odd sci-fi suit and I'm hoping to revert back to the old designs.

In the settings (in the difficulty settings menu) just turn off "Give Veterans their own suits (requires Breaking Ground)?" - then you can change the suits back using the "coathanger" in the Astronaut Complex and it will stick.

5 hours ago, severedsolo said:

In the settings (in the difficulty settings menu) just turn off "Give Veterans their own suits (requires Breaking Ground)?" - then you can change the suits back using the "coathanger" in the Astronaut Complex and it will stick.

Beware though that this may not work in combination with TextureReplacer. I haven't looked much deeper into this, but I had it where my changes in the astronaut complex wouldn't carry over with TR installed. I found that if I change the suits via TextureReplacer's interface, the change was permanent. What I haven't seen yet–way too early in my astronauts' lives, and until now saw no reason to even look into it at all–is whether suit changes from Earn Your Stripes will get applied or not.

Again, I have no idea whether that has any actual relation whatsoever to Earn Your Stripes, it's just something I think you might want to keep in the back of your mind.

5 hours ago, Corax said:

What I haven't seen yet–way too early in my astronauts' lives, and until now saw no reason to even look into it at all–is whether suit changes from Earn Your Stripes will get applied or not

They should do, that was a problem back when EYS was first released, but it was fixed in TR years ago.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.