[1.11.x] Earn Your Stripes 4.1 (01/03/2021) - Allowing Kerbals to earn an Orange Suit since 2017

severedsolo

I have an issue. To be fair I have alot of mods installed but nothing that jumps to mind when it comes with conflicting with kerbal suits. 

Kerbal suits from the astronauts complex and not being applied. The second I enter the VAB they have the vintage suit again. When I go outside to the astronauts complex the suits are missing again.  

If I delete PROMOTED_KERBAL in stripesdata and refly a mission they will be promoted and get their orange suit. That means flighttracker is doing its job and triggering the promotion after flight. Problem is when I enter the VAB all data is forgotten again and they have the regular vintage suit. Any idea what this issue could be? I cannot recreate this issue with the stock game so its some mod conflicting with it. Just cannot figure out what one. Anyway I will try finding the issue. 

3 hours ago, dave1904 said:

I have an issue. To be fair I have alot of mods installed but nothing that jumps to mind when it comes with conflicting with kerbal suits. 

Kerbal suits from the astronauts complex and not being applied. The second I enter the VAB they have the vintage suit again. When I go outside to the astronauts complex the suits are missing again.  

If I delete PROMOTED_KERBAL in stripesdata and refly a mission they will be promoted and get their orange suit. That means flighttracker is doing its job and triggering the promotion after flight. Problem is when I enter the VAB all data is forgotten again and they have the regular vintage suit. Any idea what this issue could be? I cannot recreate this issue with the stock game so its some mod conflicting with it. Just cannot figure out what one. Anyway I will try finding the issue. 

If you read back a few posts, I had the exact same issue–applying suits in the astronaut complex was not carrying over to the outside of it, in combination with Texture Replacer. What did work was changing the suits in the TR window, which carried over to the astronaut complex and flight scenes, and is "sticky", at least for me. I did not pursue the issue any deeper since for me that workaround was (and is) good enough.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because you say you "have a lot of mods installed", so maybe TR is one of them, and even if it is not, it might help narrow down which mods are conflicting here.

5 minutes ago, Corax said:

If you read back a few posts, I had the exact same issue–applying suits in the astronaut complex was not carrying over to the outside of it, in combination with Texture Replacer. What did work was changing the suits in the TR window, which carried over to the astronaut complex and flight scenes, and is "sticky", at least for me. I did not pursue the issue any deeper since for me that workaround was (and is) good enough.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because you say you "have a lot of mods installed", so maybe TR is one of them, and even if it is not, it might help narrow down which mods are conflicting here.

its a stock and earn your stripes bug. My 2 posts are 2 hours apart. If you read my second post it explains exactly how to recreate it. 

21 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

its a stock and earn your stripes bug. My 2 posts are 2 hours apart. If you read my second post it explains exactly how to recreate it. 

I saw both of your posts, and you did not mention in your second one that you tested it with EYS only.

4 hours ago, dave1904 said:

I cannot recreate this issue with the stock game so its some mod conflicting with it. Just cannot figure out what one.

that doesn't sound like it's a stock+EYS issue but an interaction of several other mods, so I provided some additional data points, just in case you hadn't seen them.

hth, peace, stay healthy. Corax out.

15 minutes ago, Corax said:

I saw both of your posts, and you did not mention in your second one that you tested it with EYS only.

that doesn't sound like it's a stock+EYS issue but an interaction of several other mods, so I provided some additional data points, just in case you hadn't seen them.

hth, peace, stay healthy. Corax out.

its stock. I can recreate it every time. Its so stock in fact that I redownloaded the game from steam to confirm the bug was with earn your stripes. 

5 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Ok its actually a bug with earn your stripes. Start a new game with "use vintage suits by default" and you can recreate it

Ah yes, Vintage suits by default is a bit... aggressive. I've actually known about that for a while, but forgot about it.

For now, just turn the option off and set the default suits using the coathanger, it won't be fixed for a while I'm afraid.

Due to the lockdown due to COVID-19 in the UK I'm currently working from home. The machine that I am using to work from home is my gaming/modding PC which I've put in my "home office" (ie the spare room).

It's really important for me to be able to separate work from home, especially as I can barely leave the house as it is, so when I'm not working, that PC is staying off and the spare room unused. This unfortunately means that all modding is on hold until the lockdown is over (or I can find a better solution). Sorry for the inconvenience, but hopefully you understand.

Edited by severedsolo

• 2 weeks later...

Earn Your Stripes 4.0 Released

POTENTIALLY SAVE BREAKING. NO UPGRADE PATH PROVIDED. SEE BELOW BEFORE LOADING YOUR SAVE

• Complete re-write of Core Mod (not First Kerbaliser)
  • You can now select any suit you like as default for Veteran/Non Veteran Kerbals
  • Previous suit selections will need to be reselected in the Difficulty Settings, otherwise you'll get the default (Basic for Non Vets, SciFi for Vets)
  • Mod will now respect if you change a kerbals suit using the Coathanger.
  • You can now require Kerbals to need more than 1 World First to be promoted.

A note on existing saves

This is a complete rewrite of the core mod, absolutely NO consideration has been given to existing saves. Frankly, there were alot of bad design choices in this (early days of modding, didn't really know what I was doing) - and keeping save compatibility would have meant keeping some of those choices. So I decided to  just throw it all out and start again.

Having said that, I think the worst thing that will happen, is you will need to reset your suits, and any kerbals who are vets will have to go on a mission to get their veteranhood back.

I'm not promising though. I haven't even tested this as an upgrade, and officially it's not supported. So if you do try it, back your save up first.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:38 PM, dave1904 said:

I indirectly fixed this too. It's not that the promotion wasn't being applied, it's that the mod wasn't running in the Editor.

Just now, JebIsDeadBaby said:

When I close that initial config window at the very beginning of a new game, I get deducted 250k from my funds. A bug I guess?

Ah, bugger. I know what that is. I'm firing the event to tell the game new crew are hired, it must be charging you. I'll fix that up later.

11 minutes ago, SingABrightSong said:

The stock game doesn't have training times, so chances are you're using a mod that adds such. 

Huh... So it's Bureaucracy. Interestingly, 60k hiring cost per Kerbal I experienced comes from this mod as well...

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I was just wondering if there is any way to get my veterans their suits back after this mod strips them? I only wanted the ability for my other kerbals to become veterans, but the config on first load wouldn't seem to let me set which four kerbals were the vets, and picked a random four... I'm sure I just screwed something up, but oh well. I'm just now wondering if there is a way to reset this, perhaps manually in a config file? I'm scared that just removing the mod will leave it stuck this way forever...

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@severedsolo

I finally figured out that it was this mod which was creating new career types.  Is there anything which describes the different types ?

What do you mean different career types? - this mod doesn't create new traits (which is what I think you mean) - it just reads traits added by other mods (MKS and Colonists are the only ones I know of)

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

What do you mean different career types? - this mod doesn't create new traits (which is what I think you mean) - it just reads traits added by other mods (MKS and Colonists are the only ones I know of)

OK, then I need to go on a hunt. 

Just found it, Progressive Colonization seems to do that as well.  Sorry about the mis-identified mod. 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

Does anyone happen to know how this mod interacts with the USI Kolonization mod that has a setting to rescue veterans? If you rescue a Vet does Stripes remove the vet tag or does it stay?

If you have "strip existing honours" turned on, I would expect it to strip the veteranhood from them.

"Veteran" is just a boolean that's set in the ProtoCrewMember (which is the internal name for a Kerbal) - Earn Your Stripes won't care if it's from a mod, a ProtoCrewMember is a ProtoCrewMember.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.