[1.12.x] Precise Node Continued - Precisely edit your maneuver nodes

37 minutes ago, noobsrtoast said:

The Thread for this says its for 1.9, but i cant seem to find a link for a 1.9 version, has it not been updated yet?

The 1.2.11 on Spacedock works fine with KSP 1.9, except the "intuitive maneuvers" option, which (at least for me) isn't currently working.

On 4/21/2020 at 7:14 AM, Technologicat said:

The 1.2.11 on Spacedock works fine with KSP 1.9, except the "intuitive maneuvers" option, which (at least for me) isn't currently working.

That is the latest, doesn't need a recompile.

What happening with the "intuitive maneuvers" option?  I don't use this mod, so am a bit unfamiliar with it

On 4/26/2020 at 11:41 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

What happening with the "intuitive maneuvers" option?  I don't use this mod, so am a bit unfamiliar with it

At least in my KSP 1.9.1 install, that option currently does nothing except drops FPS to single digits, at least when trying to drag a maneuver node handle. Could be exception spam, but I haven't looked at the logs yet. If you have time and interest to look at the issue, I could help by making a clean install with only Precise Node Continued, test it again, and post more detailed findings, with logs.

What the option should do, and indeed used to do, is to use post-maneuver coordinates for adjusting the burn. This means that, in particular, when you drag the normal handle, the orbit keeps rotating also for large values of dV used for the burn. For example, if you drag it far enough, the planned burn will change inclination by 90 degrees. Drag more and you get 180 degrees, and so on.

Mathematically I'd describe the behavior such that for the delta-V increment that is currently being added to the planned normal burn, the calculation uses the orientation the orbit normal vector would have, if the burn planned so far (without this latest delta-V increment) had actually already been executed.

This doesn't matter for prograde/retrograde, which don't change the orientation, but it makes it easier to perform large inclination changes. Of course, for small x, from the Taylor series sin x ~ x, but the post-maneuver coordinate system approach works also when x is large. Say, if I accidentally captured into a retrograde orbit around Minmus, and want to correct that by changing inclination by 180 degrees. A silly misuse of delta-V,  I know, but the expedition needed the fuel on that particular resupply probe to be able to leave orbit. Long story. A slightly more realistic example is changing the inclination by, say, 30, 45 or 90 degrees, which is faster to do if I can skip the mental math to represent the required delta-V in the original pre-maneuver coordinate system. With post-maneuver coordinates, just drag the normal handle when you want to change inclination. By however much, or little, doesn't matter, so it's simple to use.

Right now I have that base covered in my install with Maneuver Node Evolved, which offers the same option. So although I like Precise Node Continued, debugging this hasn't been a high priority for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some feedback:

When focused on the target body of my rendezvous/flyby/intended orbit/ the conics buttons do not draw any of the conics modes.  Only when I reset focus to the craft will the conics buttons draw.

It would be handy to have these active when deeply zoomed in on the focused body.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or do the buttons that are supposed to snap the maneuver node to the Ascending Node and Descending Node not always work when you're targeting a moon?

I can target Minmus, and the DN Precise Node is snapping to is not the one indicated by the DN marker.  (I'm guessing it's using the absolute-DN rather than the relative-to-target-DN?)

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2020 at 1:41 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Intuitive maneuvers option fixes the maneuver node gizmo relative to your current orbits orientation and makes it so that pulling on the normal or anti-normal gizmos will "only" change your orbits inclination, I say "only" because it isn't perfect. That way you aren't doing the dance of alternating between the normal and prograde gizmos. It appears to be working in my 1.9.1 install but turning it on did cause NRE spam which is why I had come here. I posted an issue on github if anyone else is experiencing this: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ksp-precisenode/issues/14

5 hours ago, Akira_R said:

Intuitive maneuvers option fixes the maneuver node gizmo relative to your current orbits orientation and makes it so that pulling on the normal or anti-normal gizmos will "only" change your orbits inclination, I say "only" because it isn't perfect. That way you aren't doing the dance of alternating between the normal and prograde gizmos. It appears to be working in my 1.9.1 install but turning it on did cause NRE spam which is why I had come here. I posted an issue on github if anyone else is experiencing this: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ksp-precisenode/issues/14

Ok, so, it both works AND causes the log spam?

So here is the thing:  I just tested it on a 1.9.1 install.  I tested both a locally compiled version and the download using CKAN.

No log spam using either copy.

So, either you all are crazy (NOT), or the scenario I'm testing is not what you are using.

So I need more info.  I'l start with describing what I'm testing so you can reproduce the test:

1. KSP 1.9.1, with some mods installed, Sandbox game
  2. Loaded stock vessel AeroEquus
  3. Launched, used MechJeb to get into orbit
  4. Switched to Map view
  5. Added Maneuver Node, PreciseNode window opened
  6. Clicked O for options
  7. Enabled the Use intuitive maneuver node handle behaviour toggle

No log spam

I repeat it in a career game, still no problem.

So, I need to know what you are doing.  A save file would be helpful, along with instructions as to what to do, which vessel, etc.

Edit:  I took a look at the code, and while I can't replicate the problem, I did see what might be happening.  I also saw an inefficiency which I fixed, which incidentally will fix this issue if it's what I think it is.  Once I can replicate the problem, I can verify (or not) that this will fix it and be able to release.  I'd rather avoid a beta on this.  Please ping me with the  @  sign so I will be notified.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, so, it both works AND causes the log spam?

So here is the thing:  I just tested it on a 1.9.1 install.  I tested both a locally compiled version and the download using CKAN.

No log spam using either copy.

So, either you all are crazy (NOT), or the scenario I'm testing is not what you are using.

So I need more info.  I'l start with describing what I'm testing so you can reproduce the test:

1. KSP 1.9.1, with some mods installed, Sandbox game
  2. Loaded stock vessel AeroEquus
  3. Launched, used MechJeb to get into orbit
  4. Switched to Map view
  5. Added Maneuver Node, PreciseNode window opened
  6. Clicked O for options
  7. Enabled the Use intuitive maneuver node handle behaviour toggle

No log spam

I repeat it in a career game, still no problem.

So, I need to know what you are doing.  A save file would be helpful, along with instructions as to what to do, which vessel, etc.

Edit:  I took a look at the code, and while I can't replicate the problem, I did see what might be happening.  I also saw an inefficiency which I fixed, which incidentally will fix this issue if it's what I think it is.  Once I can replicate the problem, I can verify (or not) that this will fix it and be able to release.  I'd rather avoid a beta on this.  Please ping me with the  @  sign so I will be notified.

So I just did some quick testing in my install and now I'm getting no NREs, I tried a couple of different test cases (revert to launch, jump to a ship in orbit in the save it happened in) and I'm not getting anything. I'll do some more testing later today to see if I can get it to happen again, since I enabled it last night it now defaults to on in all of my saves, I haven't had a chance yet to turn it off and restart the game, got class. But hopefully I can narrow it down a bit later today.

9 hours ago, Akira_R said:

So I just did some quick testing in my install and now I'm getting no NREs, I tried a couple of different test cases (revert to launch, jump to a ship in orbit in the save it happened in) and I'm not getting anything. I'll do some more testing later today to see if I can get it to happen again, since I enabled it last night it now defaults to on in all of my saves, I haven't had a chance yet to turn it off and restart the game, got class. But hopefully I can narrow it down a bit later today.

I'm wondering if it has to do with multiple vessels, and jumping between them?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm wondering if it has to do with multiple vessels, and jumping between them?

Unlikely, when it happened it was during the launch of a satellite that I was putting up to meet a sat contract. I think I may have done one revert to launch which is why i tried that, but there had been no switching between any vessels. It was at the end of a close to 2 hour play session and multiple other vessels had been flown, but all had been recovered back to the space center, and all had been planes, this had been the first rocket launch during the session.

6 hours ago, Akira_R said:

Unlikely, when it happened it was during the launch of a satellite that I was putting up to meet a sat contract. I think I may have done one revert to launch which is why i tried that, but there had been no switching between any vessels. It was at the end of a close to 2 hour play session and multiple other vessels had been flown, but all had been recovered back to the space center, and all had been planes, this had been the first rocket launch during the session.

Ok, I'll release a small update which should prevent it from happening again

• 5 months later...

Been a while, but I have to say, the intuitive behavior was one of the main reasons I used this tool and for some reason it does not work for me still. And it may have started happening at the same time other people have been reporting it.
Just curious if anyone else also experiences this? No log spam, just no effect at all.
Or is there other tool that provides such feature?

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Been a while, but I have to say, the intuitive behavior was one of the main reasons I used this tool and for some reason it does not work for me still. And it may have started happening at the same time other people have been reporting it.
Just curious if anyone else also experiences this? No log spam, just no effect at all.
Or is there other tool that provides such feature?

Would be useful to see a log file.

But yes, there are others:

Maneuver Node Evolved, by @DMagic

Precise Maneuver by @Morse

Mechjeb has one, as well as the stock game now

I haven't launched KSP for a year, now I've updated everything to the latest available version and launched it in career mode from the beginning.
I noticed that the "Use intuitive maneuver node handle behavior" option stopped working. When enabled, the result is the same when disabled.
When creating a maneuver node, editing and deleting, there are no messages in the console.
In the attached log, between the first and second pauses, I created and modified the maneuver node several times for 3 different ships in different orbits.
I would be very happy if it is possible to restore the correct work, this mod is convenient for me.

KSP.log

Here's the log, however the feature did not work in Precise Maneuver either. It did in Maneuver Node Evolved, so I suppose I could use both for now.

2 hours ago, AlienFX said:

I haven't launched KSP for a year, now I've updated everything to the latest available version and launched it in career mode from the beginning.
I noticed that the "Use intuitive maneuver node handle behavior" option stopped working. When enabled, the result is the same when disabled.
When creating a maneuver node, editing and deleting, there are no messages in the console.

Well kinda good to hear I'm not the only one.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, sh_temp_el said:

Not wokring in 1.12., please for this version...

Read this BEFORE asking for supporthttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

It IS working, I just tested it

Edited by linuxgurugamer

18 hours ago, sh_temp_el said:

Not wokring in 1.12., please for this version...

You need to provide more information for anyone to help.  See the link "Read this BEFORE asking for support" at the bottom of linuxgurugamer's post for guidance.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.