Need Rigid/Lockable Docking Ports

KAS or other placeable struts are still required to dock two objects securely enough to avoid ridiculous wobble.  KJR helps, but isn't enough. 

The game still needs something like a "locking" docking port that, once connected, is at least as strong as an in-line or radial separator. 

Clamping/locking mechanisms are not exotic technology and docking ports aren't remotely up to the task of loading a heavy payload into a large docking bay, for example. 

I'm aware this has been suggested many times. Posting a new topic to avoid a necro that might have debate about much older versions. It's still a pretty big missing piece of the game, especially for doing very large assembly in orbit, or when intentionally limiting cargo size to force interesting orbital operations.

Edited by gchristopher

1 hour ago, gchristopher said:

The game still needs something like a "locking" docking port that, once connected, is at least as strong as an in-line or radial separator.

Autostruts maybe? They remove 90% of wobbleness. I use them even on conventional rockets, because stock joints are ultra weak.

As @The Aziz mentioned autostruts are the way to go. If you use modes you can use constructuon ports from USI Konstruktion. You can meld them after docking and the structute becomes one.

For KAS you have additionaly the ability to use portable strutes to stiften your craft.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

I've wanted this for years. Like a docking port but stronger attachment and square so you can have precise rotation to help with orbital construction. lining up engines, fuel tanks etc.

An Engineer kerbal should be needed EVA and detach them manually.

19 hours ago, Capt Snuggler said:

I've wanted this for years. Like a docking port but stronger attachment and square so you can have precise rotation to help with orbital construction. lining up engines, fuel tanks etc.

I believe there is a mod that only allows docking in certain orientations...

Not sure where it is though.

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

You can also use Mechjeb. And I'm not talking about autopilot, just SmartA.S.S, set it on, IIRC, PAR- which sets you parallel to target port, force roll to desired degree, and dock manually.

@qzgy @The Aziz while I appreciate you are both trying to help, this sub forum is to discuss suggestions and development of the stock game.

While there is a mod available to plug every hole and solve every problem, unfortunately mods are of little use to console players who are more or less stuck with the base game and all its flaws.

You can build docking guides with only a few parts to force docking in the right orientation. Also displayed in the album is how to use autostruts after docking.

So personally I feel we don't need docking parts for this particular scenario because the stock game gives us the tools to solve these problems.

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

It'll be hard to find as it is a tiny MM patch and can be in-built to docking ports.

//From @5thHorseman
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
	{
		captureMinRollDot = 0.999
		snapRotation = true
		snapOffset = 45 //rotation limit. Change to 90 or whatever else you like
	}
}
On 6/12/2017 at 8:01 AM, Capt Snuggler said:

An Engineer kerbal should be needed EVA and detach them manually.

NF Construction has a few of these, including square ones to go flush with their matched styles of trusses. To increase their holding strength it may be as simple as declaring and raising their breakingForce and breakingTorque values.

That may be doable. So far I know a craft can be split in the same way through KAS. On top of this there would need to be a patch that hides the Decouple and Undock buttons.

My suggestions assume that whoever needs them is in a position to use them (i.e., not on console).

Edited by JadeOfMaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.