New to KSP, obsessed.

getBrutal

Name is Alex, I'm a Javascript engineer from Montreal, Canada however I had switched paths and was on the path to being an actual mechanical engineer (you know, I probably get payed more in JS than I would have) until some family issues put a halt on my 2nd pass through college.

That was about 6 years ago. I bought KSP about a week ago and I can tell you, I'm considering going back to college for my 3rd time to finish engineering in the Aerospace field, this game has re-ignited some serious passion I have for this stuff.

Anyway, just here to say hi, hopefully I'll be active on these forums! I love everything I've seen so far, this community seems just incredible.

I will post pics of some KSP stuff I've been working on so far :)

So aside from completing all of the tutorials and giving a run through career, I opted to play Sandbox with some mods to really get the feel for the game for awhile and have some serious fun, then I'll try career mode when I"m confident with my orbits/burns/efficiency etc. So far I"m just trying to make things look good and serve a few purposes at the same time, but mostly just come out clean and real-ish looking.

My ISS so far (missing 4 more crew pods and a load of more sections):

https://images.discordapp.net/attachments/239598017097760768/323001835193499648/unknown.png

Has a rotating washer from Instellar mod for some cool abilities and even helped me docked the second pod:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/239598017097760768/323000536188190720/unknown.png

My comm network so far:

https://images.discordapp.net/.eJwFwVsOhCAMAMC7cADKS0u9DUGCZpUSqPFjs3ffma96xqU2dYj0uQHs58w8dj2FR6pFV-Z6ldTPqTPfkERSPu7SZILztFA0Fg0hrgbXCN65hTwG9CFEGy0SPO3T-G26t6p-fwrPIvk.BlqlKQzGAsjH0eNHFQj5WtfmmKE

The comm network is made of of survey scanners, a bunch of overboard stuff for now but it felt really damn cool to get all that in space and use a bit of math to get them right:

https://images.discordapp.net/.eJwVxVEOgyAMANC7cADaoVjwNgQJmikltMaPZXdf9n7ex9zjNKvZVbusANshmcdmRXmkWmxlrmdJ_RCb-YKkmvJ-laYCboo-BnwRRqIFaQkwOefnQEj43wc3w93ejZ9me6vm-wMJ5SLu.qyXEyIL7EbV3CZehkruQjjgZVAc

A few angles of the sats:

https://images.discordapp.net/attachments/239598017097760768/322401324417155072/unknown.png

https://images.discordapp.net/attachments/239598017097760768/322393633351270400/unknown.png

The coolest part about them is that I'm using a few of the Infernal Robotics parts (hinges, rotators and pistons) to make it a little tighter and even sneak an ion thruster under the scanner:

- The solar panels are attached to a rotator, which attaches to a rect strut, which attaches to another rotator, then to a piston, so the arms actually come out when it's ready to deploy:

https://images.discordapp.net/attachments/239598017097760768/322393412387209216/unknown.png

https://images.discordapp.net/attachments/239598017097760768/322393942945562635/unknown.png

https://images.discordapp.net/attachments/239598017097760768/322393067879399425/unknown.png

Anyway, the forum didn't let me post images right into the thread for some reason for sorry for the links, let me know what you guys think!

Welcome to the forums @Adstriduum.

Have fun, share your builds, diskus with us and let your RL behind!:D

The best way is to show your family and friends KSP and hope they understand your obsession. It will become more and more obsessing and they need to understand why you go up midnight to "add some BUSTERRRSS"!

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Congratulations and condolences as I don't believe there is a Kerbals Anonymous. I've been consuming physics, engineering, and general space stuff in a variety of formats since my first double click on Jeb. Slow constant sipping of literature, video and image shots when I can sneak a quick one in. It has been 4 hours 23 minutes since I unplugged the computer. I can't click that button. Hay SQUAD I can't quit I don't want to quit. STOP asking if I'm sure I want to quit. Have some consideration to sufferers. I'm rambling and becoming unpleasant to others I feel. So thanks forum contributors it's nice to know I'm not alone. 

1 hour ago, cratercracker said:

If you want to directly post images rather than links, you will need to get yourself an imgur account.

Agreed... I post tons of screenshots, and the easiest way is using something like Imgur.

Welcome to the KSP family!!!  :)

2 hours ago, bonyetty said:

Congratulations and condolences as I don't believe there is a Kerbals Anonymous. I've been consuming physics, engineering, and general space stuff in a variety of formats since my first double click on Jeb. Slow constant sipping of literature, video and image shots when I can sneak a quick one in. It has been 4 hours 23 minutes since I unplugged the computer. I can't click that button. Hay SQUAD I can't quit I don't want to quit. STOP asking if I'm sure I want to quit. Have some consideration to sufferers. I'm rambling and becoming unpleasant to others I feel. So thanks forum contributors it's nice to know I'm not alone. 

I feel it man. I feel it. First thing I thought while waking up this morning was "if it took me 20 minutes to dock my last crew pod last night, it'll take me 20 minutes minus some minutes since I'm wide awake, that times 4 for all remaining pods, only 1 hour, my girlfriend might not mind that before I make breakfast!

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate the super super warm welcome. Thanks for the comments! I'm gonna get an Imgur account so I can be more standard when sharing.

Edited by getBrutal

20 hours ago, getBrutal said:

Anyway, the forum didn't let me post images right into the thread for some reason for sorry for the links, let me know what you guys think!

That's strange, those links seem to convert to images just fine when I add them to a post. . .

unknown.png

Have you tried using the "insert other media" --> "insert image from URL" option? It should be in the lower right of the reply window. 

Welcome to the forums. :) 

4 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

aw man...a week in and you've preformed more dockings then I did in a year :)

Bahaha, more like a month! But honestly I have to mentally prepare for awhile before trying my first dock of the like current gaming session. It's bloody hard. Getting the hang of it though, I'll have some pics of my science bay up tomorrow!

2 hours ago, Ten Key said:

That's strange, those links seem to convert to images just fine when I add them to a post. . .

unknown.png

Have you tried using the "insert other media" --> "insert image from URL" option? It should be in the lower right of the reply window. 

Welcome to the forums. :) 

Yes I had tried that, I was getting an error though so I just reverted to basic links. Perhaps because I was a new member there was a limitation. Not sure.

@getBrutal Sorry i would welcome you to the forums and aciddentaly messed up with @Adstriduum.:blush:

But the words are true... and like we see you are on agressive line to become more obsessed with KSP. Have a nice stay with us. You have some nice designs and develop a unic line in mission designs. Go for it!

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

Hey all, thanks for the recommendations.

On 6/11/2017 at 8:33 AM, Spaceception said:

Hey there! Welcome to the forums! If you're looking for mods, I recommend the near future ones by Nerta. :)

I tried to install it but it wasn't working on 1.3 :/

Also here is my latest stuff with that space station, pretty intense robotics on it.

A few points on it:

1. Lots of fuel hoses, literally just for show, they attach the extendable ports but I doubt that they will do anything, however once docked I'm pretty sure I can transfer fuel anyway? So once I get my refinery wing in there, I'll have infinite fuel.
  2. The idea of this science bay is to be able to add another 2 science wings to it, or even just small science ships, landers, etc.
  3. This isn't supposed to be the refueling station, it's supposed to be a wicked science looking thing.
  4. There's currently 10 kerbals aboard the ISS so far!
  5. The extendable arms are also on gantry rails, so they could in theory attach two small sciences ships together to make a bigger one, idk why, maybe for fuel or extra pods. Who knows!
  6. Launching this thing took a few hours to get right, in the end I couldn't put a fairing around the entire bay and pop it on top of a huge Tsar rocket, the fairing kept popping on the launch pad, so careful launch sucked and ran at 5fps but eventually worked
  7. 90% of the intercept was RCS as crazy as that sounds
  8. Used the Docking help mod for this one, had to :P

http://imgur.com/a/hGC12

On 6/11/2017 at 5:46 AM, Urses said:

@getBrutal Sorry i would welcome you to the forums and aciddentaly messed up with @Adstriduum.:blush:

But the words are true... and like we see you are on agressive line to become more obsessed with KSP. Have a nice stay with us. You have some nice designs and develop a unic line in mission designs. Go for it!

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

Apparently the next version of KSP will have sharable missions or something, am I correct with that? I'm pumped for that, I've read some of the reddit challenge and watched some Scott Manley stuff but having it integrated into the game is going to be really really sweet.

Edited by getBrutal
imgur didn't embed

13 minutes ago, getBrutal said:

Hey all, thanks for the recommendations.

I tried to install it but it wasn't working on 1.3 :/

Oh yeah, the OP stated that it wasn't compatible yet, but it's undergoing tests now.

Anyway, everything else is pretty cool :D

Just now, Spaceception said:

Oh yeah, the OP stated that it wasn't compatible yet, but it's undergoing tests now.

Anyway, everything else is pretty cool :D

Yeah I really wanted the Near Future Solar I think it was, I ended up opting for the RU Solar mod instead since NF didn't work :/ It looks really cool though.

2 minutes ago, getBrutal said:

Yeah I really wanted the Near Future Solar I think it was, I ended up opting for the RU Solar mod instead since NF didn't work :/ It looks really cool though.

Electrical is great too, a much more powerful RTG along with Tons of reactors.

1 hour ago, getBrutal said:

/snip the wall

Nertea is working on his addons for 1.3.

My musthaves why i am sticking actually with 1.2.2 and wait patiently for updates.

The sharable missions where you lopk for are more in the DLC not the stock KSP. But you can bet the most are eager to get it:wink:

Urses