[1.2.2, 1.3.1 only, replaced] OPT_USI v1.3.0

JadeOfMaar

This mod is obsolete. Replaced by OPT_Reconfig

A single config mod. Converts select OPT parts for use with USI Life Support.

Requested by a handful but I'm sure will be welcome by dozens. :) It's not being offered as a patch to be included in the OPT downloads as USI LS may change drastically, rendering this (as a bundled patch) quickly outdated.

Download it from:

Includes MiniAVC so everyone can be aware of updates.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Does this need a license? If so, CC-BY-NC-SA.

Feature list:

Spoiler

This modlet will:

• Remove all prior fuel switch setups from the targeted parts.
  • Add resources (and maybe USI modules) to almost all cockpits.
  • Add resources and USI modules to all other crewed parts with exceptions.
    • The H cabins only get hab multiplier. There's no perceivable room to add anything bulky in there.
    • The H stack tanks and noses get the other things in order to compensate.
    • The J boarding ramps get nothing.
  • The science labs get recyclers.
  • Add resources to all long cargo bays, service bays and hollow fuselages (but not the J Deployment Bay, Stail and Stail Freight parts, and the K, KH 3m parts).

The majority of parts' tank configs will not be touched.

Switch modes for crewed parts:

• Structural
  • Supplies, Mulch, EC, Mono
  • LF, EC
  • LFO, EC

Switch modes for H body:

• Structural
  • Supplies, Mulch, EC, Mono
  • LF, EC
  • LFO, EC
  • LF, EC, Mono
  • LFO, EC, Mono

Switch modes for hollow parts:

• Structural
  • Supplies
  • Fertilizer
  • Gypsum
  • Minerals
  • Ore
  • LF
  • LFO

Edited by JadeOfMaar
v1.3.1 release

On 6/10/2017 at 10:44 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Comments and suggestions welcome.

I like what you've done here, I've been digging OPT since 1.9.9 came out but I was finding sticking all the life support/habitation bits in a cargo bay bad for part count.

But, I'm having a problem with OPT cockpits with intakes, specifically NullRef'ing the ModuleResourceIntake on vessel launch, 

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleResourceIntake.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I think it's because the ModuleResourceIntake doesn't have a Resource anymore after your MM patch,

Here's the ModuleResourceIntake node from the OPT J Cockpit QS config.

MODULE
    {
        name=ModuleResourceIntake
        resourceName=IntakeAir
        checkForOxygen=true
        area=0.02
        intakeSpeed=10
        intakeTransformName=intake_transform
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name=IntakeAir
        amount=2
        maxAmount=5
    }

And here it is in the MM cache after your patch is run.

MODULE
		{
			name = ModuleResourceIntake
			resourceName = IntakeAir
			checkForOxygen = true
			area = 0.02
			intakeSpeed = 10
			intakeTransformName = intake_transform
		}

Your patch has this line in it which I think is deleting all the Resource nodes, including the one for ModuleResourceIntake. 

@PART[j_cockpit,j_cockpitv2,j_cockpit_qs,j_cockpit_qs_no_intake]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport]:AFTER[USILifeSupport] 
{
	-RESOURCE,* {}

I'm going to try and see if I can find a fix for it but I'm not good with MM.

Also, as a suggestion, could there be an FSfuelSwitch Tank option that does not have Monopropellant?  For my large cargo SSTM's I've been using verniers and having so much storage for a resource I'm not using seems wasteful.

Thanks again for making this

Edited by smurphy34
Spell Chack

3 minutes ago, smurphy34 said:

I like what you've done here, I've been digging OPT since 1.9.9 came out but I was finding sticking all the life support/habitation bits in a cargo bay bad for part count.

But, I'm having a problem with OPT cockpits with intakes, specifically NullRef'ing the ModuleResopurceIntake on vessel launch,

Also, as a suggestion, could there be an FSfuelSwitch Tank option that does not have Monopropellant?  For my large cargo SSTM's I've been using verniers and having so much storage for a resource I'm not using seems wasteful.

Thanks again for making this

Thanks for all the info. I didn't think of the Intake resource when I made this. I'll see to that and the Mono-less options ASAP. :) 

43 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Thanks for all the info.

I was able to fix it by changing the "-RESOURCE,* {}" with "-RESOURCE[ElectricCharge],* {}" for the affected cockpits.  Not very elegant, but hey it works (so far) :) 

@smurphy34 

v1.1.0 posted

Fixed broken IntakeAir and added LF + EC and LFO + EC (no Mono) options to the cockpits and cabins.

Rebalanced some fuel options so there may be slightly more or less fuel in some places. Also buffed all of the intakes cuz they're pretty big.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I'm using the new v1.1.0 and OPTv1.9.9
When I tried adding this in I get a stack of "FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected" in most items this MM patch changes. Is there anything that I can do to fix this?

I noticed on curse that the OPT1.9.1 changelog has a comment  "FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy Error should be fixed"
so I'm hoping it might be something easy I can do.

Thanks again for the patch :)

Line 35636: [ERR 01:06:13.021] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'h.3m.fuel.fm'.
	Line 35641: [ERR 01:06:13.059] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'h.3m.fuel.mm'.
	Line 35646: [ERR 01:06:13.097] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'h.4m.nose.fm'.
	Line 35651: [ERR 01:06:13.141] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'h.4m.nose.mm'.
	Line 35668: [ERR 01:06:13.353] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'i.4m.cockpit.isp'.
	Line 35676: [ERR 01:06:13.466] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'phoenix.cockpit'.
	Line 35681: [ERR 01:06:13.535] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'ils.cockpitv2'.
	Line 35728: [ERR 01:06:14.138] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'j.4m.cargo'.
	Line 35732: [ERR 01:06:14.159] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'j.4m.crew'.
	Line 35746: [ERR 01:06:14.387] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'j.4m.service'.
	Line 35756: [ERR 01:06:14.510] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'j.6m.cockpit'.
	Line 35761: [ERR 01:06:14.587] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'j.cockpitv2'.
	Line 35766: [ERR 01:06:14.661] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'j.cockpit.qs'.
	Line 35771: [ERR 01:06:14.728] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'j.cockpit.qs.no.intake'.
	Line 35793: [ERR 01:06:15.006] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'kh.6m.cargo'.
	Line 35797: [ERR 01:06:15.024] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'kh.6m.fuselage'.
	Line 35807: [ERR 01:06:15.256] Error: FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy detected in part 'k.10m.cockpit'.

Edited by wile1411

9 hours ago, wile1411 said:

I noticed on curse that the OPT1.9.1 changelog has a comment  "FSFuelSwitch Mass Discrepancy Error should be fixed"

I see those anytime I watch the Console while KSP is starting with OPT installed. I normally ignore them as afaik they don't mean the parts are crippled and unplayable. I don't know what to do exactly to fix that but I bet it would be easy. For now, though, the only thing I can really be bothered to fix is the issue where the FS and IFS tank options both appear when you have FS and IFS installed.

You're welcome btw. Have fun. :D 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

12 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

v1.1.0 posted

Fixed broken IntakeAir and added LF + EC and LFO + EC (no Mono) options to the cockpits and cabins.

Thanks but it looks like you missed the j_6m_cockpit, it has intakes.

Also, thanks for the non mono options, any chance of getting one that doesn't have supplies and mono?  Or is it "If you don't eat your mono, you can't have any supplies!" :) 

Edited by smurphy34
Fix Q

2 minutes ago, smurphy34 said:

Thanks but it looks like you missed the j_6m_cockpit, it has intakes.

Also, thanks for the non mono options, any chance of getting one that doesn't have supplies and mono?  Or is it "If you don't eat your mono, how can you have any supplies" :) 

Thanks for the heads-up but isn't that what you previously asked for?

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Thanks for the heads-up but isn't that what you previously asked for?

Yeah, and I like the changes you made.  But I'm afraid I wasn't being clear, I was specifically talking about the cockpits and how if you want to choose supplies you also have to have mono.  In other words, can we have a cockpit tank setup that has supplies without mono?  Please?

1 hour ago, smurphy34 said:

I was specifically talking about the cockpits and how if you want to choose supplies you also have to have mono.  In other words, can we have a cockpit tank setup that has supplies without mono?  Please?

I'll in favor of it. I may remove Mono from the Supplies option altogether. I think every other part allows for carrying Mono anyway.

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I see those anytime I watch the Console while KSP is starting with OPT installed. I normally ignore them as afaik they don't mean the parts are crippled and unplayable. I don't know what to do exactly to fix that but I bet it would be easy. For now, though, the only thing I can really be bothered to fix is the issue where the FS and IFS tank options both appear when you have FS and IFS installed.

You're welcome btw. Have fun. :D 

No problem and thanks for the reply - I'll ignore for now.

Just as an aside Just wondering if you might know how "Mass Discrepancy Error" where fixed in 1.9.0? I tired to see if any other mod has reported a similar issue and there isn't much online to help with my investigation. I tried looking at the MM mod changes and couldn't see anything specific that was out of order.

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2017 at 1:44 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

The science labs currently get nothing. It's already settled that they're not allowed any tankage. As for modules I don't know what would be ideal. Suggestions welcome.

Most science labs under USI-LS get low-end recyclers.

• 2 weeks later...

• Removed MonoPropellant from all switch options except for H tanks. It's needless and excessive now since OPT Main introduces RCS blocks with tankage, and OPT Legacy introduced K, KH, Humpback Inline SAS with tankage.
  • Reordered Mono options (to last) on H tanks.

I've also ensured there's plenty of LF only, with the coming of OPT Legacy 1.0.8, featuring a superior LF-only multi-role engine.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 1 month later...

Hey @ErevanGaming. I tend to use a gut feeling. I don't quite have a standard, or if I do, I haven't sealed it in writing. But I consider these things:

• The more volume a part has, more and better habitation stuff can reasonably be packed into it. (MKS standard practice)
  • The better the habitation stuff is, the more massive it is. (MKS standard practice)
    That said, I do not add mass to OPT's parts because that's already been done as a gameplay balance and counterweight to the capabilities of the engines.
  • Does the mod's theme encourage most of its crewed parts to cater to a lengthy and luxurious flight?
    In OPT's case, yes. Being directly based on sci-fi anime, OPT's spacious cabins are all easily able to contain fancy things to grant lots of hab time.
  • Does a given cabin (...or cockpit) have lots of volume to use? Cabins get most preference for hab time.
    The J and Humpback cabins get both habitation and recyclers as they appear to have plenty volume to spare under the floor, disregarding their fuel tank space.
  • There are two methods to raising hab time: kerbal months (a base amount) and hab multiplier.
    • I write kerbal months for crewed parts primarily aimed at seating and can be assumed to provide private spaces for the crew. Everyone has their chair and can sleep in it without having to share. That counts as private.
    • I write hab multipliers for crewed (and even un-crewed) parts that can serve as a public space or shared facility like cupolas or any crewed part that's not meant to be lived in for a long time at once.
      Example, I give the H cabins hab multiplier because it actually seems cramped in there to me. H class parts are meant only to be a complement to K and KH class parts.
    • I try not to give any part a high amount of both. A given thing cannot be equally private and public.
  • Parts that hold recyclers can vary in my book. I'll tend to put them in science labs, large cockpits, particularly large cabins, and nose cones.
    Speaking of nose cones, the H class nose cones hold recyclers and as much resources as if there were no recyclers. That shouldn't be...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.