[1.3.1]TextureReplacerReplaced v0.5.4

HaArLiNsH

11 hours ago, Delbrutis said:

I tried the -force-opengl command on my windows box and it did not work. Must be a windows 10 thing? I remember back in the day when Linux ruled 64 bit KSP. People used to use this command all the time to get better frame rates or get certain mods running on windows installs. I would just play under windows and call it good but for some reason the textures look really washed out and dull compared to Linux? Any one else have this problem?  I haven’t played In awhile And I want to get my mods all organized so I can start putting some time back into the game .I will probably just play with reflections off until all this gets sorted out. I was going to try playing this under windows. But the weird washed out textures bug me more than I miss the reflections. Don't stress over this to much. People probably don't tell you this enough but I really appreciate all the work you put into these Mods. It's what makes KSP worth coming back to. So thanks!  

I don't think the windows version washed out the colors but more the Linux exaggerate them (because I don't see real difference between my texture on photoshop and ingame). Its like when you are used to watch television with exaggerate contrast for years and then you put it at a normal level , all seems washed out. Surely its related to the Opengl/directX stuff.

Thanks for the support :)

1 hour ago, HaArLiNsH said:

I don't think the windows version washed out the colors but more the Linux exaggerate them (because I don't see real difference between my texture on photoshop and ingame). Its like when you are used to watch television with exaggerate contrast for years and then you put it at a normal level , all seems washed out. Surely its related to the Opengl/directX stuff.

Thanks for the support :)

Yeah I was just thinking The same thing last night. I'm so used to playing on Linux it just seems weird the other way "HA" I think your right. I am kind of a audio snob myself and I have friends who come over and complain about the sound on my flat level AKG studio-file headphones. Because their used to listing to stuff on a pair of crappy beats headphones "Hey man where’s the base" Windows is probably more accurate. what’s weird though is I  play a lot of different games multi platform and I only notice this with KSP. TRR works fine without the reflection shaders as far as I can tell. I'll just leave it installed without them so i can start getting my texture packs set up correctly. I might have to do a pass on my old texture's to redo the folders and convert them to dds. I will try to jump back and forth in Gimp on both systems and see if I notice a difference.

On 25.10.2017 at 8:34 PM, HaArLiNsH said:

Yeah I know this one (I use usually -popupwindow )

The dx9/11 works but not the openGL .. maybe its a Win10 problem?

Never tried, someone else did it.

Alright, summoning time,

Oh great @Ger_space , please come into these mortal lands, we need your lights.  Could you help us please ? :)

Sorry, I'm traveling to the more rural areas of the world.

The summoning took some time to reach me.

Opengl is not working ( again ).

I think I export the shaders in the right way, but I'm not sure why they are broken by unity.

I'll have a look at it when I'm back home ( in two weeks) big there could be some issues with Opengl support in unity. 

At worst I must bring back the separated resource bundles and old shafer loader.

I someone has an idea why unity doesn't compile the Shader after loading it, I'll be very thankful ( unity should do it, at least regarding to the docs) 

I realize that I am way late to the ball here, but I need a little help please.

Since 1.0.5 of KSP, I have been using the planet textures from KSPRC and a skybox, it would seem that these might not be compatible with TRR and was was curious where I can start to get some help?

11 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I realize that I am way late to the ball here, but I need a little help please.

Since 1.0.5 of KSP, I have been using the planet textures from KSPRC and a skybox, it would seem that these might not be compatible with TRR and was was curious where I can start to get some help?

It depends which textures you are talking about. KSPRC uses them in Eve, Scatterer, Kopernicus, and TextureReplacer.

Edited by Electrocutor

1 hour ago, gamerscircle said:

Wha?  Wow, never used them... 

Turns out the old TR still works.. thanks for the support.. I will just keep using what I have been using.

Okay... for future reference and anyone with a similar question, here are the steps.

1. Create a directory for your mod under \GameData\
2. Create a text file in this directory name <Mod Name>.cfg where <Mod Name> is whatever you want it to be
3. Create empty folders in this directory named 'Default', 'EnvMap', 'Heads', and 'Suits'
NGbR3wA.jpg
4. Open your .cfg file and enter the following text where 'MyTextures' is the name of the directory you created in step 1:

TextureReplacerReplaced
{
	Folders
	{
		Default = MyTextures/Default/
		EnvMap = MyTextures/EnvMap/
		Heads = MyTextures/Heads/
		Suits = MyTextures/Suits/		
	}
}

4b. There are a whole bunch of extra .cfg options for heads and suits if you wish to make use of them, otherwise any heads or suits you add will be chosen at random.
5. Put any textures you wished to be replaced within the 'Default' directory using the same name as the textures that KSP uses for them
5b. The game now uses DDS textures, so it is highly recommended that you do as well. Although JPG and PNG will still work in many cases, using DDS is far superior for performance and include mipmaps. (See the DDS section below)

Heads
1. The 'Heads' directory requires two sub-directories: 'Male' and 'Female'
2. Each head requires that you make a directory for it under the 'Male' or 'Female' directory. The name of the directory will be the name of the head.
3. The diffuse texture must be named HeadTexture0.dds; if you want to have different versions of the head as the Kerbal levels up, add additional textures with the number being 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 instead.
4. The normal texture must be name HeadTextureNRM0.dds; the same rule applies for levels on this file as well.

Suits
1. The rules and configurations for suits is rather complicated, so please look at the TRR_Guide mod download and read the full instructions.

DDS
1. DDS diffuse textures are mirrored vertically compared to their original JPG or PNG images.
2. DDS diffuse textures should be saved as DXT1.
3. DDS Normal  textures are also mirrored vertically compared to their JPG or PNG counterparts.
4. DDS Normal textures should be saved as DXT5nm. (DXT5nm normals usually look pink, while image normals usually look blue)
5. You should include generated mipmaps for both diffuse and normal textures because not only will doing so require less work during run-time, but also most mipmap generators in graphics programs are superior in quality to on-the-fly ones.
6. Other image formats can be converted to DDS using various means, including GIMP with the DDS plugin as well as conversion websites like https://online-converting.com/image/convert2dds/

Edited by Electrocutor

I'm quite desperate!
I tryed to get this to work in so many ways, but for me the texture replacing never works.
It literally does nothing as a single mod or the way Electrocutor explains.
Together with shaders and other mods it crashes the game as soon as I load into the controll center.
Any ideas what I might be missing or what the flaw could be?

50 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

DDS diffuse textures should be saved as DXT5. You can also use DXT1 or DXT3, but they are heavily compressed and lack quality.

Based on this post, textures without alpha channels should use DXT1.  DXT3/5 are meant specifically for textures with alpha channels.  The Wikipedia page on S3TC has more information.

Lots of KSP textures use DXT1 and they look fine.  Using DXT3/5 will give you a .dds file that's twice as big (and uses twice as much memory in-game), but the extra bytes are just for representing the alpha channel; there shouldn't be a significant difference in quality for the color.

7 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

Based on this post, textures without alpha channels should use DXT1.  DXT3/5 are meant specifically for textures with alpha channels.  The Wikipedia page on S3TC has more information.

Lots of KSP textures use DXT1 and they look fine.  Using DXT3/5 will give you a .dds file that's twice as big (and uses twice as much memory in-game), but the extra bytes are just for representing the alpha channel; there shouldn't be a significant difference in quality for the color.

I forgot that the specular is on its own map; my bad. DXT1 for diffuse, DXT5nm for normal.

You can download a premade custom folder here

The choice for the DXT compression is simple :

- "standard" image without alpha : DXT1

- Standard image with alpha : DXT5 (with "alpha" option checked)

- Normal maps : DXT5n  (with "normal map" option checked)

YOU NEED TO CHECK THESE OPTIONS :

- make mipmap (except for skybox)

- CLAMP

Also, you NEED to convert you old .png in dds, not only because of the performance, but also because if you don't make a "clamped" .dds, your textures will be awful at the edges of each faces of the model. This is particularly true for the head, helmet et jetpack.

On 28/10/2017 at 7:20 PM, Professor_MoHnK said:

I'm quite desperate!
I tryed to get this to work in so many ways, but for me the texture replacing never works.
It literally does nothing as a single mod or the way Electrocutor explains.
Together with shaders and other mods it crashes the game as soon as I load into the controll center.
Any ideas what I might be missing or what the flaw could be?

Did you tried the TRR_Guide ?  if this don't work, you are doing something bad :)

4 hours ago, sardia said:

Does anyone have example pics of old favorites that got adapted to 1.31? I don't see any updates besides the core retexture mod.

Some are in converting phase (Cetera's suits). I did not had any contact with other texture pack maker (heads or suits).

I'm also working on a big texture pack for the suits and after one for the heads, but it will take some time.

On 28/10/2017 at 6:08 PM, gamerscircle said:

Here is a screen of the files that I have been using.  The ones that are in a box, are for the skybox [which also isn't working]

https://i.imgur.com/NGXFfZd.jpg

They need to be converted in .dds   DXT1 "no mipmap" and moreover, THEY NEED TO BE IN YOUR CUSTOM FOLDER:)

Again.. look at the TRR_guide

@Ger_space : Thanks for the heads up :)

In the old thread, there used to be "suit packs" linked.  Is there any resource or forum post for "suit packs" replacements, like the Star Trek Originals, or the Star Trek Movie Reboot, or any of the other themed suits?  I recall seeing one pack that even tried to differentiate suites for the myriad new kerbal types in USI-MKS.

Please link the thread here - or if it doesn't exist, perhaps someone would be kind enough to start posting TRR suit packs here.

On 03/11/2017 at 2:57 AM, Thorn_Ike said:

Where does one find textures for this?

I really badly want those gray suits in the 1st pic that the OP posted. 

The 3 suits you see in the OP are bundled with TRR. The grey one is the EVA ground one, meant to be used on the surface of planet where you don't have atmosphere. :)

23 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

In the old thread, there used to be "suit packs" linked.  Is there any resource or forum post for "suit packs" replacements, like the Star Trek Originals, or the Star Trek Movie Reboot, or any of the other themed suits?  I recall seeing one pack that even tried to differentiate suites for the myriad new kerbal types in USI-MKS.

Please link the thread here - or if it doesn't exist, perhaps someone would be kind enough to start posting TRR suit packs here.

You can easily convert the old suit packs to TRR. Download (or make yourself) the custom folder and put the suit pack like you did with TR. Just don't put the .cfg file that goes with some of them because this has changed.

You wont have the new Eva ground suit but they work as before. You can configure them ingame after (to use the EVA space suit when on Eva ground because the old pack didn't had this state of suits)

I wont link the old suits pack here unless they are really converted to TRR, this would lead to too much troubles and I don't want to explain 100 times the same things.

Edited by HaArLiNsH

So I'm looking for a heads texture pack. Not one of those creepy human-alike things, just some variation in my Kerbals' haircuts and whatnot. I understand about changing old texture packs to work with TRR... but where are the old heads? The first post of the old thread is full of dead and outdated links.

@HaArLiNsH OK, I have my suits in-game and working, and my module manager patch even seems to be assigning suits correctly!  Woohoo!  However, I'm still having some issues.

I have IVA helmets and suits, and EVA Space suits, and an EVA visor.  I do not intend on making an EVA Ground set of suits, and just want the Space to double for those.  However, with the defaults included in TRR, only the defaults show when on ground, even when suits are selected properly by class. 

1.  Is there any way to ignore ground EVA suits via a MM config?  

2.  If not, is there any way to have EvaSpace and EvaGround pull from the same file, rather than me duplicating all textures again?

3.  What is the "Exclusive" option in the TRR Suits Menu for?  What does it do?  When I select it, I'm not seeing any changes anywhere.

4.  No matter the selections, even manually configuring in the TRR menu, there is a bug with texture selection for Female Badasses and JetPacks.   EVA Space Jetpacks for Female Badasses are always selected to the TRR default.  I can't test if it happens with Ground EVA Jetpacks, as I don't have a texture for that, and didn't muck about with it any further tonight.

I'm going to need some volunteers to test my suit pack, and make sure all is working well.  I've done quite a bit of testing, but there's only so long one person can look at the same things over and over and actually notice details that aren't right.  I see what I think should be there, regardless of whether it really is or not.  Once my suit pack is 100% complete, then I'll create a separate thread for it on the forums, per HaArLiNsH's suggestion.

Edited by Cetera
typos and such

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.