[1.3.1]TextureReplacerReplaced v0.5.4

HaArLiNsH

4 hours ago, HaArLiNsH said:

Now we can make levelled head but also we can change the color/ texture of the eyes, pupil and we will surely be able to change the mouth and teeth too.

Awesome stuff.  I've tried making mods before, but my lack of skill in areas kept me from finishing.  A texture pack: Now that I might actually be able to do to a mediocre extent.  I'll mess around with it today.  See what I can do.

@Ger_space, Stratzenblitz pointed out to me a rather annoying bug and I pinned down to be an interaction between your TextureReplacerReplaced reflection plugin and scatterer of all things... The terrain flashes extremely quickly when underwater with Scatterer and WindowShine are installed:

As I demonstrate it also happens while the game is paused. Any ideas? :/ 

Edited by Avera9eJoe

5 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

, Stratzenblitz pointed out to me a rather annoying bug and I pinned down to be an interaction between your TextureReplacerReplaced reflection plugin and scatterer of all things... The terrain flashes extremely quickly when underwater with Scatterer and WindowShine are installed:

As I demonstrate it also happens while the game is paused. Any ideas? :/ 

Not really. happens this without scatterer, because the reflective shader normally doesn't affect the terrain. 

1 hour ago, Ger_space said:

Not really. happens this without scatterer, because the reflective shader normally doesn't affect the terrain. 

It's only present when Scatterer and WindowShine are both installed though; it doesn't occur when it's the only thing installed:

I can't think of any reasons why WindowShine and Scatterer would behave like this, but nonetheless they are the culprit after removing all else, and then repeating on a stock install.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I am noticing that with a new game, it no longer presets the chosen heads/suits I have in the cfg. Here is the cfg:

Vorg.cfg

TextureReplacer
{
	// Reflection colour. Reflection is multiplied by this RGB colour before it is
	// added to the visor colour.
	visorReflectionColour = 0.5 0.5 0.1

CustomKerbals
	{
		// Jebediah Kerman	Pilot		Yellow
		// Valentina Kerman	Pilot		Yellow
		// Bill Kerman		Engineer	Red
		// Bob Kerman		Scientist	Blue
		//	Colonist	Green
		//	Tourist		Grey

Jebediah Kerman  = M S-kerbalHead           Pilot
		Valentina Kerman = F S-kerbalGirl           Pilot
		Bill Kerman      = M S-kbGeneKerman_head    Engineer
		Bob Kerman       = M S-wernerVonKerman_head Scientist
	}

GenericKerbals
	{
		femaleHeads = S-kerbalGirl f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 kerbalGirl1 kerbalGirl2 kerbalGirl3 kerbalGirl4 kerbalGirl5 kerbalGirl6 kerbalGirl7 kerbalGirl8 kerbalGirl9 necKros_fem_001 necKros_fem_002 necKros_fem_003 necKros_fem_004 necKros_fem_005 necKros_fem_006
	}

ClassSuits
	{
		// 	Pilot		Yellow
		//	Engineer	Red
		//	Scientist	Blue
		//	Colonist	Green
		//	Tourist		Grey
		//

Biologist	= Biologist
		Engineer	= Engineer
		Farmer		= Farmer
		Geologist	= Geologist
		Kolonist	= Kolonist
		Mechanic	= Mechanic
		Medic		= Medic
		Miner		= Miner
		Pilot		= Pilot
		Quartermaster	= Quartermaster
		Scientist	= Scientist
		Scout		= Scout
		Technician	= Technician
		Tourist		= Tourist
	}
}

18 hours ago, Mudkip909 said:

recently I just landed on the Mun. but, I did go EVA, and the kerbal had a PINK Visor. is it the new update

Hmm Do you use the latest version ? It should work there normally :)

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

It's only present when Scatterer and WindowShine are both installed though; it doesn't occur when it's the only thing installed:

I can't think of any reasons why WindowShine and Scatterer would behave like this, but nonetheless they are the culprit after removing all else, and then repeating on a stock install.

Nice catch,maybe the new shader that @Ger_space send me last week will resolve this?

1 hour ago, Vorg said:

I am noticing that with a new game, it no longer presets the chosen heads/suits I have in the cfg. Here is the cfg:

Vorg.cfg

TextureReplacer
{
	// Reflection colour. Reflection is multiplied by this RGB colour before it is
	// added to the visor colour.
	visorReflectionColour = 0.5 0.5 0.1

CustomKerbals
	{
		// Jebediah Kerman	Pilot		Yellow
		// Valentina Kerman	Pilot		Yellow
		// Bill Kerman		Engineer	Red
		// Bob Kerman		Scientist	Blue
		//	Colonist	Green
		//	Tourist		Grey

Jebediah Kerman  = M S-kerbalHead           Pilot
		Valentina Kerman = F S-kerbalGirl           Pilot
		Bill Kerman      = M S-kbGeneKerman_head    Engineer
		Bob Kerman       = M S-wernerVonKerman_head Scientist
	}

GenericKerbals
	{
		femaleHeads = S-kerbalGirl f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 kerbalGirl1 kerbalGirl2 kerbalGirl3 kerbalGirl4 kerbalGirl5 kerbalGirl6 kerbalGirl7 kerbalGirl8 kerbalGirl9 necKros_fem_001 necKros_fem_002 necKros_fem_003 necKros_fem_004 necKros_fem_005 necKros_fem_006
	}

ClassSuits
	{
		// 	Pilot		Yellow
		//	Engineer	Red
		//	Scientist	Blue
		//	Colonist	Green
		//	Tourist		Grey
		//

Biologist	= Biologist
		Engineer	= Engineer
		Farmer		= Farmer
		Geologist	= Geologist
		Kolonist	= Kolonist
		Mechanic	= Mechanic
		Medic		= Medic
		Miner		= Miner
		Pilot		= Pilot
		Scientist	= Scientist
		Scout		= Scout
		Technician	= Technician
		Tourist		= Tourist
	}
}

Well .. first this is not "TextureReplacer"  but " TextureReplacerReplaced",  so you need to change the name of your configuration :)

Also you can get rid of the "genericKerbal" , as the female head are automatically detected when you put them in the right place (Male head goes in ../heads/Male   and female in  .../heads/Female)

I hope I can get you something at the end of the week-end, I made some experimentation on the Eyeballs and pupils of our kerbals and I can tell you that we can change their texture and NRM BUT the unfortunately the mesh is really badly positioned. We see the top of the sphere and it deform the texture too much to be really useful :(   I'm experimenting with reflections on the eyeball but so far I can only get the nice pink "fail" color :)

I also tried to change the color of the skinnedmeshrenderer and I think I 'll go with this as this seems to give the best results but this will oblige me to make a cfg file or something like that to store our choice..

I will also look at the teeth,mouth and tongue as I found the tongue ! I made a little function to log when the tongue is used and I can confirm that sometimes the game calls for it, but I 'm pretty sure the meshes are ignored/invisible.

I'll also start to make the new GUI :)

19 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

No I don't think so. This issue is more complicated. This has something to do with the underwater fog and that I didn't touch.

Maybe we could just disable the reflections when underwater ?  Its a bit rude but it could "solve" the issue no ?

Edited by HaArLiNsH

I have a short question. Can you post a tutorial on how to put the heads for the kerbals since the readme is sort of confusing. All I do is put the head textures inside the heads folder and they don't show up in the texture replacer window, even though suits do. Am I doing something wrong?, should I put the heads in a folder?, or what. Would be much appreaciated if I could give my kerbals different heads, and finally give Jeb his badass beard. :)

On 24/08/2017 at 8:41 PM, Sandrik1 said:

I have a short question. Can you post a tutorial on how to put the heads for the kerbals since the readme is sort of confusing. All I do is put the head textures inside the heads folder and they don't show up in the texture replacer window, even though suits do. Am I doing something wrong?, should I put the heads in a folder?, or what. Would be much appreaciated if I could give my kerbals different heads, and finally give Jeb his badass beard. :)

Sry for the delay, life you know.. :)

I will release a new version SOON (I wished last week-end so its imminent) and I 'll update the tutorial that you can find in the TRR_Guide too.

In summary we will finally be able to :

- use the "full suit set" that I'm talking about from so long time (so all the combinations of male, male veteran, male badass (fearless), male veteran badass, female , female veteran, female badass, female veteran badass + the level and NRM for each part)

- configure each suit set independently (hide the helmet, use this or this state, use this visor  reflection colour, ..) with a .cfg file. I'm looking to make a GUI ingame to change these settings. Right now I'm looking how to make a GUI :)

- revamp of the head, now they are more like the suits, you need to put them in a folder (that become the name of the head) with a naming convention and you can make levelled textures and NRM.

- the teeth texture and NRM are working again for each head texture files for the male !  The female use the one from the default male (+ the NRM) . I'll try to use also an independent texture file + NRM but not yet coded.

- each eyeball and pupil can be coloured or use a independent texture file +NRM (but the mesh geometry and the placement of the texture is horrible and it will be really hard to make a nice texture)), they can be hidden separately too

- configure each head a bit like the suit set (cfg file and future GUI)

If this version is stable, I'm thinking about putting it on CKAN because , I hope, we wont have any more big changes in the structure and naming convention.

Edited by HaArLiNsH
I type like a pig :)

On 31/08/2017 at 7:16 AM, shoe7ess said:

I'm sorry if this was discussed already, searched and found nothing. I'm wondering if anyone has worked on or has some working galaxy maps that work with this resurrection of TR?

It should be relatively easy to get any of the old TextureReplacer packs working under TRR. Copy the skybox pack's textures to a Default folder and an EnvMap folder somewhere under GameData, and then put a configuration file in there:

TextureReplacerReplaced
{
    Folders
    {
        Default = MyFolderUnderGameData/MyFavouriteSkybox/Default/
        EnvMap = MyFolderUnderGameData/MyFavouriteSkybox/EnvMap/
    }
}

It's working for me with Poodmund's Calm Nebula and TRR in 1.3.0.

@HaArLiNsH I'm testing my suit pack (its almost done!) and trying to get the config file correct, and I've got some questions.  These questions may be related to module manager, I'm not sure.

1. How does one force a refresh of the suit selection by config file?  I had two typos in my config folder structure that blanked out two suits.  I've corrected the typos, but TRR won't pick up the changes, even after deleting the module manager cache.  In a new save, the changes show up properly, but in a current save, the only way to make TRR see the fix is to manually select the suits via the GUI option.  Is this intentional, or even fixable?
  2. Any change I make to the color multiplier for reflection overlay in my config seems to be completely ignored, unless I delete the @Default.cfg in the main TRR folder (or simply comment out the visorReflectionColour).  Is there a way to force a config to have priority over another that I need to be using?
  3. Can an opacity level be specified if using the visorReflectionColour?
  4. Even with the /Suits/ folder properly mapped via config, the /Default/ folder is not being mapped properly via config.  Is this being overwritten somewhere by the @Default.cfg?

Here's my config file I'm using:

TextureReplacerReplaced
{
	Folders
	{
		Default = Cetera/Default/
		Suits = Cetera/Suits/
	}

isCompressionEnabled = never
	isMipmapGenEnabled = auto
	generateMipmaps = /Cetera
	isUnloadingEnabled = auto
	skinningQuality = auto
	logTextures = false
	logReflectiveMeshes = false
	isGUIEnabled = true
	reflectionType = real
	reflectionResolution = 128
	reflectionInterval = 2
	isVisorReflectionEnabled = true
	isHelmetRemovalEnabled = true
	isAtmSuitEnabled = true
	atmSuitPressure = 50
	isNewSuitStateEnabled = false
	isAutomaticSuitSwitchEnabled = true
	atmSuitBodies = Kerbin Erin Sanctum Laythe
	forceLegacyFemales = false

CustomKerbals
	{
		Jebediah Kerman 	=	M DEFAULT OrangePilot
		Bill Kerman			=	M GENERIC OrangeEng
		Bob Kerman			=	M GENERIC OrangeScience
		Valentina Kerman	=	F GENERIC PurplePilot
	}

ClassSuits
	{
		Pilot			= RedPilot
		Engineer		= YellowEngineer
		Scientist		= BlueScience
		Kolonist		= Kolonist
		Miner			= Miner
		Technician		= Technician
		Mechanic		= Mechanic
		Biologist		= GreenBiologist
		Geologist		= PinkGeologist
		Farmer			= BrownFarmer
		Medic			= RedMedic
		Scout			= Scout
		Tourist			= DEFAULT
	}
}

Hmmm....

Following up on my 4 questions above, I think 2-4 all have the same root.  No matter what texture I put as EVAvisor or EVAgroundVisor, and no matter what values I have for visorReflectionColour, the visor always comes out the same shade of yellow.  By adjusting the visorReflectionColour I can make the reflection very shiny, or very dull, and I can give the yellow the merest hint of a different color (1.0 0.0 0.0, for instance, gives it just a bit of red that kinda turns the edges slightly orange, for example).  

It doesn't seem to matter if I have the EVAvisor texture in the default folder, or in the individual suit folder.  It all just seems to come out that same not-quite-gold yellow.  Any ideas?

I'm getting this:

gw1ILu9.png

Instead of this:

6Y7sLSt.png

I really want the semi-transparent, burnished bronze/copper look of my old suit pack, and I am not sure how to achieve that any longer.

Edited by Cetera

11 hours ago, Cetera said:

How does one force a refresh of the suit selection by config file?  I had two typos in my config folder structure that blanked out two suits.  I've corrected the typos, but TRR won't pick up the changes, even after deleting the module manager cache.  In a new save, the changes show up properly, but in a current save, the only way to make TRR see the fix is to manually select the suits via the GUI option.  Is this intentional, or even fixable?

It's intentional. The config is read when creating a new save and that data is then stored into the persistent.sfs file

Spoiler

SCENARIO
	{
		name = TRR_Scenario
		scene = 5
		reflectionType = REAL
		isHelmetRemovalEnabled = True
		isAtmSuitEnabled = True
		isNewSuitStateEnabled = False
		isAutomaticSuitSwitchEnabled = True
		Kerbals
		{
			Jebediah Kerman = M m1d GENERIC
			Bill Kerman = M m1b GENERIC
			Bob Kerman = M m1c GENERIC
			Valentina Kerman = F VAL GENERIC

[SNIP]

}
		ClassSuits
		{
			Pilot = RedPilot
			Engineer = YellowEng
			Scientist = BlueScience
			Biologist = Biologist
			Farmer = Farmer
			Geologist = Geologist
			Mechanic = Mechanic
			Medic = Medic
			Miner = Miner
			Quartermaster = Quartermaster
			Scout = Scout
			Technician = Technician
			Tourist = Tourist
			Kolonist = Kolonist
		}
	}

this allows different saves to have different settings and prevents installing a texture pack mid save from overwriting the player's chosen settings.

If you're just testing changes to your textures you could edit the save file directly in a text editor (take a backup first) but in order to test any config changes you need to start a new save to see how they get applied.

@Aelfhe1m, for some reason the config you helped me edit works perfectly, except for the CustomKerbals section.  The suits are all allocated properly by class, but the command crew of Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Val all get standard class suits as defined in the ClassSuits section.  

I've confirmed that the proper folders exist, and everything is spelled correctly.  I can assign the suits manually via the GUI, but they never show up by default with a new save.  Any ideas?

// define your suit pack
TextureReplacerReplaced
{
	Folders
	{
		Default = Cetera/Default/
		Suits = Cetera/Suits/
	}
}

// override only the default values that you need to change 
@TextureReplacerReplaced:AFTER[TextureReplacerReplaced]
{
	// each value to be overridden starts with an @
	@isCompressionEnabled = never

// added values don't have an @ at the start of the line

// just omit any lines from @Default that you don't want to change

visorReflectionColour = 

// updating a node so start with an @
	@CustomKerbals
	{
		// another mod may have added the gang of four already so
		// start each line with % which means "add or edit"
		%Jebediah Kerman 	=	M DEFAULT OrangePilot
		%Bill Kerman		=	M GENERIC OrangeEng
		%Bob Kerman			=	M GENERIC OrangeScience
		%Valentina Kerman	=	F GENERIC PurplePilot
	}

// see above
	@ClassSuits
	{
		%Pilot			= RedPilot
		%Engineer		= YellowEngineer
		%Scientist		= BlueScience
		%Kolonist		= Kolonist
		%Miner			= Miner
		%Technician		= Technician
		%Mechanic		= Mechanic
		%Biologist		= GreenBiologist
		%Geologist		= PinkGeologist
		%Farmer			= BrownFarmer
		%Medic			= RedMedic
		%Quartermaster	= Quartermaster
		%Scout			= Scout
		%Tourist		= DEFAULT
	}
}

Well ... the reflections and the visor color are kinda broken on the last version, normally its fixed in the build i'm working on. Also you normally don't need the

Because your texture in .dds should already have these mipmap :)  (save a lot of time in loading)

There will be other config for the suits (and the heads) in the coming release (like every suits should be able to choose his reflection color) , I can't show you them right now as I'm working on it, but you can see a good tease of the new GUI for the head, and I'll begin the suits part now.

Again sorry for the delay, I think I'm making what could have been 2-3 releases in one, you will be happy when its out :)

7Qt5nLG.png

pT0DHTd.png

I'll also make the TRR_guide,  just a bit more patience and you will find all the informations you need, I could respond at all your questions now but as it will change in the coming release... :)

It should be more easier to make the first config and also allow us for more flexibility.

@Cetera : Just a curiosity question : did you made the EVA ground state ?  and the badass , veteran and veteran badass ?  and the female version of all of these like in the new full suit set or did you kept the old TR's model ?

In the next version you will be able to setup each suit set individually, I mean you could make a suit set using the EVA ground state and one without and the game will adapt (no more general setting) Well you will still have general setting but you will be able to bypass it in the individual suit set setting.

Edited by HaArLiNsH

8 hours ago, HaArLiNsH said:

Well ... the reflections and the visor color are kinda broken on the last version, normally its fixed in the build i'm working on. Also you normally don't need the

Because your texture in .dds should already have these mipmap :)  (save a lot of time in loading)

All my textures will be in .png format, and staying the same size as before.  I don't have the skill or ability to redo them at higher resolution, particularly since so much of them has been borrowed from other previous suit packs.  I'm using .png format to preserve finer details that get kinds messed with the .dds compression.  I think that means I should have it generate Mipmaps, correct?  I also set the flag to not compress my textures.

8 hours ago, HaArLiNsH said:

@Cetera : Just a curiosity question : did you made the EVA ground state ?  and the badass , veteran and veteran badass ?  and the female version of all of these like in the new full suit set or did you kept the old TR's model ?

I've puttered with the EVA ground state, trying to make the reflections work.  When all is done, I'll probably have a clear ground EVA visor, and the more opaque or even fully opaque colored visor for use outside the atmosphere.  I'm not going to have different EVA suits, though.  One EVA suit that has six different helmets (levels) and four different suit bodies (levels) and one IVA suit that does not level, for all the MKS and stock classes.

I also have custom icons ready for the Portrait Stats mod, that are ready to be integrated when using my suit pack.

I'm not doing separate badass suits, but I will have a Command suit version for each of the stock classes, and one special one for Valentina just because, in case someone wants her to be different.

All told, I have 240 completed files at this point, ready to go.  There may be minor changes and additions as you continue to work on TRR, but the bulk of my pack is done and ready.  I need to test, and I need to get new screenshots for everything, which will take a while.  

If anyone wants to test it out, I can throw it on dropbox or something, if you promise to let me know of any inconsistencies or issues you find.  Just send me a PM.

1 hour ago, Cetera said:

All my textures will be in .png format, and staying the same size as before.  I don't have the skill or ability to redo them at higher resolution, particularly since so much of them has been borrowed from other previous suit packs.  I'm using .png format to preserve finer details that get kinds messed with the .dds compression.  I think that means I should have it generate Mipmaps, correct?  I also set the flag to not compress my textures.

I can convert them for you if you can't :)  Save them in .png non compressed and non interlaced for best results. The .dds conversion don't make you loose details if you have proper sources. Believe me, I made thousands of them :) 

This is mandatory for this number of files, and FYI , the conversion is really better when its made by the nvidia tools than the conversion module we use in TR/TRR and you save a lot of time at each loading of KSP.

Here is some tools from the TRR_Guide readme :

NormalMap-Online Online tool for generating Normal, Displacement, Ambient Occlusion and Specular maps

GIMP 2 + BIMP. Batch Image Manipulation Plugin. To batch modify your texture file , like the invert you need to do before converting .png to .dds or to batch resize (always save without compression)

DDS converter A really great converter that Convert JPG,TGA,PNG to DDS using NVIDIA Texture Tools 2.0 with CUDA Acceleration. This is the batch converter I used to make to TRR_Guide suit set

Remember : 

PNG = used for production 

DDS = used when you release to the public

1 hour ago, Cetera said:

I've puttered with the EVA ground state, trying to make the reflections work.  When all is done, I'll probably have a clear ground EVA visor, and the more opaque or even fully opaque colored visor for use outside the atmosphere.  I'm not going to have different EVA suits, though.  One EVA suit that has six different helmets (levels) and four different suit bodies (levels) and one IVA suit that does not level, for all the MKS and stock classes.

I also have custom icons ready for the Portrait Stats mod, that are ready to be integrated when using my suit pack.

I'm not doing separate badass suits, but I will have a Command suit version for each of the stock classes, and one special one for Valentina just because, in case someone wants her to be different.

If you don't use the EVA Ground state, you don't have to make the EVA ground helmet because you will use the EVA Space or the IVA suits like in TR. :)  The IVA has is own helmet and the EVA Space too (they always had). Unfortunately, if you don't make the texture for the EVA ground state,  you won't have a different suit when your kerbal are on the ground on non atmospheric planet.

BUT, with the new configurations I'm presently coding, you will be able to force the use of a helmet for each state. So if you want for example to only use the EVA Space helmet for all the states,  you will be able to do so. :)

or you can also just make the suit let the jetpack and helmet use the texture from the EVA Space.

If I understand well what you mean by "Command Suit version", you mean the orange ones (veteran) for Jeb, bill,... ? Know that you "need" to put them in your suit set. So your pilot suit set will have the normal version and the veteran version.

You just have to setup you pilot suit set to the pilot class and TRR will give the proper version to your kerbal automatically ! This way, if you have new veteran kerbals, they will also have the good version and you don't have to worry about giving a single suit to a single kerbal.

Look at these suit set I released for the TRR_Guide V0.2 , I will republish them properly for the upcoming release, but this is how you need to name your suit set to use all the fonctions like the normal and veteran state and so on. Use the .png to work and the .dds to load the game :)

TRR_Guide_SuitSet_full_PNG_1024_v0.2.zip

TRR_Guide_SuitSet_full_DDS_1024_v0.2.zip

And if you want to make a special suit for Val, she use the "VetBad_Female" elements, so you can even make it and put it the same pilot suit set (that's what I'll do to make a pink version instead of the orange, for the badasses veteran females) :)

EDIT: I wanted to give you a build from today but it wont be useful yet(working on the suit set setting and reflections),  just a few more days and you will be able to see the full suit set in action.

Edited by HaArLiNsH

@Cetera : I just pulled out a day build so you can test your suits set with the new naming.

This build is a WIP :)  the settings for the suits don't works yet, those for the heads works. Don't try to play with the reflection color, it won't affect things yet.

You can also find the savegame I use,  its made for MKS and you should find kerbal at differents place and also different level to test things.

You can just drop one of your "old" suit folder in the TRR_Guide to compare easily.

TRR V0.4.9 devbuild

TRR V0.5 coming asap , don't use this devbuild for your main game, 

Guys, THIS IS NOT THE RELEASE YOU ARE WAITING FOR  :)

1 hour ago, HaArLiNsH said:

I can convert them for you if you can't :)  Save them in .png non compressed and non interlaced for best results. The .dds conversion don't make you loose details if you have proper sources. Believe me, I made thousands of them :) 

This is mandatory for this number of files, and FYI , the conversion is really better when its made by the nvidia tools than the conversion module we use in TR/TRR and you save a lot of time at each loading of KSP.

OK, I'll see what I can do.  I use Paint.Net for my texture editing (I'm just editing the flat texture files, not doing anything in Unity.)  It can save as .DDS, and generate mipmaps.  I want to save as a DXT1 DDS file, correct?

2 hours ago, HaArLiNsH said:

If I understand well what you mean by "Command Suit version", you mean the orange ones (veteran) for Jeb, bill,... ? Know that you "need" to put them in your suit set. So your pilot suit set will have the normal version and the veteran version.

You just have to setup you pilot suit set to the pilot class and TRR will give the proper version to your kerbal automatically ! This way, if you have new veteran kerbals, they will also have the good version and you don't have to worry about giving a single suit to a single kerbal.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm intending.  I'll check out the naming conventions as you get things locked down.  I am looking forward to it!

3 hours ago, Cetera said:

OK, I'll see what I can do.  I use Paint.Net for my texture editing (I'm just editing the flat texture files, not doing anything in Unity.)  It can save as .DDS, and generate mipmaps.  I want to save as a DXT1 DDS file, correct?

you need to invert vertically before converting (or your converter must do it)

(instruction DDS converter , but its nearly the same for each converter)

- Use dxt1 with "Mipmaps" checked for the helmet, jetpack and suit

- Use dxt5 with "Mipmaps" and "alpha" checked for the visor 

- Use dxt5NormalMap with "Mipmaps", "Normal" and "toNormalMap" checked for the NRM
3 hours ago, Cetera said:

Yes, this is exactly what I'm intending.  I'll check out the naming conventions as you get things locked down.  I am looking forward to it!

You can already test the new naming with the devbuild I linked before :)

This is what the DDS conversion tool does, with a significant drop in quality and clarity to the texture:

Original in .PNG
n3aAnMO.png

Converted in DDS
Mdt4LDQ.png

Now, if I was using 4k textures, those fine details might all come out in the wash and you wouldn't be able to notice, as you couldn't get zoomed in far enough to see the loss of data in them.  But I'm not, and won't ever be.  It was noticeable to me when the modding community started moving everything to DDS to save on RAM (pre-64-bit days, obviously) and that's how I did mine too, to conserve on everyone's available RAM.  It even alters the actual color somewhat!

Do all textures get converted from PNG to DDS now in KSP, no matter what?  Is there no way to have native PNG textures anymore?  

If not, I'll see if I can manually convert my texture files, and see if I can't ramp up the quality a bit with less compression in the conversion using Paint.Net.

Edited by Cetera

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.