[1.3.1]TextureReplacerReplaced v0.5.4

HaArLiNsH

I'm curious, Does this do the same stuff as TR or is it just...different, or improved? I'm trying to decide to wait for this to be updated or use TR for now for 1.4+. Was this plugin made to continue TR in case support ceased for it? I think I remember TR being a version behind at one point, but I could be wrong..

1 hour ago, Jesusthebird said:

I'm curious, Does this do the same stuff as TR or is it just...different, or improved? I'm trying to decide to wait for this to be updated or use TR for now for 1.4+. Was this plugin made to continue TR in case support ceased for it? I think I remember TR being a version behind at one point, but I could be wrong..

Largely the same stuff as TR.  TR's primary author left for a few years, and TR was getting some community updates to keep it functional.  @HaArLiNsH wanted to add a lot of features for the suit pack he was making, and with some collaboration with @RangeMachine and @Ger_space they fixed reflections and window emissives too, and the project grew from there.  It started as a way to update TR and get it space-worthy again, and suffered terribly from scope creep, as most projects eventually do.  :P

At this point, I far prefer TRR for what it allows us to do, and I LOVE the reflections and window emissives it makes possible.  It is much, much more complicated to set up, though.  The complexity of output requires complexity of input.  

If you are trying to install my suit pack, you have to have TRR.  If you want to use other suit packs made for TR, then you need to use TR.  They aren't compatible.  Pick whichever allows you to use the assets you're looking for.  By themselves, there isn't much point to either TRR or TR without the modded assets.

9 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

I see. What if we use textures unlimited?? I know that mod provides reflecions too. So im wondering if there is a compatibility issue. Or if i happen to install both TU and TRR. which mod will provide the reflections??

You might have to ask on the TU thread.  I'm barely familiar with TU, but it seems like it provides functionality for other modders to use, and doesn't do anything itself. 

If you are using Windowshine to provide the window reflections and emissives, then you need to use TRR.  It is built for and requires TRR.

On 5/10/2018 at 2:00 PM, Cetera said:

You might have to ask on the TU thread.  I'm barely familiar with TU, but it seems like it provides functionality for other modders to use, and doesn't do anything itself. 

If you are using Windowshine to provide the window reflections and emissives, then you need to use TRR.  It is built for and requires TRR.

Im asking because im interested in texture switching. I dont know a lot about it right now. But basically im trying  figure out how to create cfgs to possibly incorporate those great looking shaders to more than just stock parts,  but really any part that uses stock textures/shaders. I noticed the unofficial cfg that i like here has a lot of parts in there. But not all i think?? I found a few that had the shader and  texture change on the engine area..but not the fuselage area. Or just not at all(panther jet looks untouched) Im wondering what i can do about that. If it could just be a cfg creation. Or would i need to use a visual studio to edit things a bit. 

Thanks for helping my noobish:)

I did see TRR doesnt play well with opengl. So thats a possible boohoo. Either way ill have to wait for it to be updated to learn more about it i think. Im not really interested in pre 1.4.

I just realized some of this should be in  the TU thread...sorry about that

Edited by Jesusthebird

On 4/29/2018 at 6:48 AM, HaArLiNsH said:

If this don't work, it may be related to the bilinear/trilinear stuff. I need to check if we can disable this (or I'll gonna make the option) because TRR (and TR) do change bilinear texture to trilinear.   And (if I understood well) the  " ^Nereid/" add the mod to list of mipmap to be generated. 
This is stuff I still haven't really looked since I got on TRR.

I was wondering what was up with nano gauges.  I'd never tried it until recently and uninstalled it after it appeared unreadable.  

Could this also be the cause of my mission flags appearing extremely pixelated now?  "isMipmapGenEnabled = never" doesn't seem to have any effect on the flags either.

On 5/20/2018 at 3:38 PM, CaribeanSoul said:

I was wondering what was up with nano gauges.  I'd never tried it until recently and uninstalled it after it appeared unreadable.  

Could this also be the cause of my mission flags appearing extremely pixelated now?  "isMipmapGenEnabled = never" doesn't seem to have any effect on the flags either.

That's a good bet, too! It seems to be "halving" the resolution or some such. I have a couple agency flags I'l try converting and see if that's an "easy" fix. Hopefully TRR can address this at some point. :)

On 5/23/2018 at 8:56 PM, Beetlecat said:

That's a good bet, too! It seems to be "halving" the resolution or some such. I have a couple agency flags I'l try converting and see if that's an "easy" fix. Hopefully TRR can address this at some point. :)

I've confirmed TRR was the culprit for the pixelated flags.  I removed it and the flags are back to normal.  For now I'll have to choose between my precious flag collection and my diverse kerbal heads/suits.  Decisions, decisions...

Edited by CaribeanSoul

4 minutes ago, CaribeanSoul said:

I've confirmed TRR was the culprit for the pixelated flags.  I removed it and the flags are back to normal.  For now I'll have to choose between my precious flag collection and my diverse kerbal heads/suits.  Decisions, decisions...

Try converting them to DDS! Solves all the problems. ;)

23 minutes ago, CaribeanSoul said:

There's something else going on with this, then, 'cause I have no issues.  My flags are all in .png format, not .dds.

3f2h.png

21 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Try converting them to DDS! Solves all the problems. ;)

Are you joking there?  The discussion back on pg. 23 of this thread seems to indicate that isn't a good idea...?

2 minutes ago, Cetera said:

There's something else going on with this, then, 'cause I have no issues.  My flags are all in .png format, not .dds.

Interesting.  All I did was removed TRR, Diverse Kerbal Heads, and Kolonization Suits.

I am running 1.4.3 btw.  I guess I didn't mention that above.  I know this mod isn't supported there yet.  I was just trying to solve the source of my pixelated flags.  Except for the visor reflections everything else seemed to be working acceptably.

@CaribeanSoul what is the resolution of the texture files for your flags?  I suppose it is entirely possible that my flags ARE experiencing the issue, but I've got them at a higher initial resolution that the downscaling doesn't hurt anything.

1 hour ago, Cetera said:

@CaribeanSoul what is the resolution of the texture files for your flags?  I suppose it is entirely possible that my flags ARE experiencing the issue, but I've got them at a higher initial resolution that the downscaling doesn't hurt anything.

All (or at least the vast majority) of mine are 256x160

40 minutes ago, CaribeanSoul said:

All (or at least the vast majority) of mine are 256x160

What happens if you replace them with higher-res flags?  Maybe just find a few higher-res flags online and put them in your folder, to experiment with.  I'm curious, too, what would happen if you just doubled the resolution of the current flags.  There wouldn't be any more info in them but if they are getting resized and compressed, they might end up with something approximating their original info.

Do you have screenshots of before and after?

1 hour ago, Cetera said:

What happens if you replace them with higher-res flags?  Maybe just find a few higher-res flags online and put them in your folder, to experiment with.  I'm curious, too, what would happen if you just doubled the resolution of the current flags.  There wouldn't be any more info in them but if they are getting resized and compressed, they might end up with something approximating their original info.

Do you have screenshots of before and after?

I don't have any screenshots specifically of the issue but I can try to show you an example from my screenshot archive.  This is a snip of a full screenshot which for me is 5760x1200.   You can see the effect a little.

mxHZuRq.png

The following is a snip from a screenshot (same resolution) from my 1.3 install that I was playing last year.

kvf21Ue.png

It's a different flag but they are both 256x160.

i2w5i7o.pngV78Qs7r.png

Maybe I'll fool around with getting some better comparison screenshots in the next couple days.  This career save I'm committed to spending at least as much time playing as I do fooling around with mods.:/  

I also don't want to get too far down the road with looking at this until a 1.4 release is out.  This all may be fixed by that for all I know.

Edited by CaribeanSoul

@CaribeanSoul Yeah, that has to be something different or not functioning properly in the unofficial 1.4 version of TRR.  We'll need @HaArLiNsH and a full release to fix that, I think.  My screenshot is from the 1.3.x, and seems to be working identically to your 1.3 screenshot.

I don't currently have a 1.4 install going, so I don't have anything to test with.  I can send you one of my flags, though.  They are at 2560x1600, and you can put it in your install and see what happens to them.  It'd be a good way to test.

Edited by Cetera

On 5/10/2018 at 8:49 PM, Jesusthebird said:

I see. What if we use textures unlimited?? I know that mod provides reflecions too. So im wondering if there is a compatibility issue. Or if i happen to install both TU and TRR. which mod will provide the reflections??

Some times ago we talked about making a crossover between TRR and TU. Unfortunately, I was really occupied the past months and I couldn't push the idea further.

Also, I'm still here :)  I will try to update TRR as soon as possible (I know already said that but you know ... life :) ) I'll check about that loss of quality in the textures and the others problems (like the eyes in first person view). I will put my research on the body switching on hold a bit (I can't get the bones like it should on the other bodies) , I still have hope for that but we will have to wait.

Can you guys help me out (again)? I've been away from KSP for some time and I cant make this mod work anymore. I read the OP and I know that this isnt fully compatible with KSP 1.4 but i keep seeing people who managed to make it work.

I tried everything, but my custom headtextures are not showing up! I'm using the "diverse kerbal heads" pack and some others, but looks like the folder structure changed from previous version and i cant for the love of Jeb find a way to make the game "see" the textures. On the other hand, I'm using a skybox replacement and its working fine. The "Texture replacement replaced" logo shows in the main menu too.

Thanks again, and sorry for being annoying, but I just cant play KSP without this mod, hehe

Edited by Trevisan

Hmm, using this, the "temporary fix for the pink visor reflections in 1.4.2", Cetera's Suits and Diverse Kerbal Heads, all taken from the OP.

But visor's still pink.

What did I do wrong?

Edit:

btw I use -force-glcore, is that the reason?

Edit:

I guess that is the reason.

I removed the Cetera's suits but still the pink visor.

and another btw, in main menu the visors are not pink.

Darn!

Always this fighting; one mod needs glcore, another mods wants Direct3D11, stock game shows blue haze part icons in VAB with Direct3D, TU works better with glcore ...

Darn!

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 7:55 PM, Gordon Dry said:

I use -force-glcore, is that the reason?

Always this fighting; one mod needs glcore, another mods wants Direct3D11, stock game shows blue haze part icons in VAB with Direct3D, TU works better with glcore ...

Darn!

I was having the same problems with TRR trying to run 1.4.3: the pink visors and blue haze VAB icons. Tried with/without both -force-glcore and -force-3d11, yet both had issues. Also I saw that Scatterer sunflare and atmosphere were wonky.

I had to ditch TRR for regular old TextureReplacer. No more problems as far as I can tell, aside from the KSP-AVC version warnings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.