[1.3.1]TextureReplacerReplaced v0.5.4

HaArLiNsH

40 minutes ago, Warsoul said:

So in shorth we can't have access to a rigged Kerbal model for modding ? Squad won't us to modelize some new Kerbal ?

It seems we CAN access the mesh of the Kerbal as @xEvilReeperx showed us some days ago :

On 15/06/2017 at 7:58 PM, xEvilReeperx said:

There isn't a collar object so it's not quite that easy, it's mixed in with the body mesh. But actually it's not too hard to just extract the collar triangles and create a new collar GO which you then treat exactly like that. The transparent texture idea would probably work but it's going to result in some side effects and is probably just more effort overall

Hide contents
wkWLL.pngwkXZb.png  

It would probably be wise to stitch the top of the suit closed as a next step though. You can see (in Val's case especially) that her suit doesn't quite meet her neck so the effect is somewhat spoiled

and we have access to the bones, so we can puppeteer them as we want (there is mod that allowed you to move your kerbal in a certain position by controlling all the axes on the bones)

Someone can help me on the name of this mod ? It was nice to take pictures but I can't find it now ... it worked for the 1.22

BUT I don't think we can swap model easily, first of all, a new model needs a proper rig and proper animations .. and that's the hard part :)

24 minutes ago, Cetera said:

Yeah, I have to make 13 textures for each class.  It takes time, even with the process I've learned now.  With the MKS suits, that 169 textures, plus I'm redoing my legacy command suits for good measure too.  However, I'm keeping them at all the 1k resolution, not 4k textures.  I don't have the artistic ability to recreate the base textures I'm tweaking at the higher resolution.

Thanks to the sample textures, I've discovered an issue that I have to fix in all of my helmet textures, that are already done.  I would have discovered the issue in testing anyway, but I noticed it and verified thanks to the sample textures.  Kudos for them!

Anyway, it is going to be a while before my pack is out.  

I'm starting to think about the final size of the 1k textures at 4096... maybe 2048 would be better.. but now that I've seen the details at this size... I can't go back, we have lot of RAM now :)

If you make a low res suit pack, I won't have to convert mine to several resolutions and people will have the choices.

Don't forget the textures for EVA ground, KMS players will love suits for their colonies on other planets :) 

Edited by HaArLiNsH

1 hour ago, HaArLiNsH said:

But you don't want to double the texture list

I would think the most effective way would be to give the option to use as much textures as possible, but at the same time come up with a "priority" system which will load other textures if the specific one is needed

23 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I would think the most effective way would be to give the option to use as much textures as possible, but at the same time come up with a "priority" system which will load other textures if the specific one is needed

I could make all the suit textures for male and female. This would make 21 textures files (3x (6 level suits +  NRM)) Lets not touch to the helmets, jetpacks and visor :)

I'm actually thinking about this since I discovered the warp on the shield on the female elbow and shoulder that screw a bit my suit as you can (badly) see here :

61dwBnq.png

You don't notice it if you use a low rez texture or with less details at theses places.

We could also force the female to use the male body, but I don't want to lower the number of possibilities.

If we can have the collar removal one day, we NEED this for the Swimsuits and the bikinis that will arrive just after!  We can play in the water on Kerbin don't we ? :) 

Edited by HaArLiNsH

3 minutes ago, HaArLiNsH said:

I could make all the suit textures for male and female. This would make 21 textures files (3x 6 level suits +  NRM) Lets not touch to the helmets, jetpacks and visor :)

I'm actually thinking about this since I discovered the warp on the shield on the female elbow and shoulder that screw a bit my suit as you can (badly) see here :

You don't notice it if you use a low rez texture or with less details at theses places.

We could also force the female to use the male body, but I don't want to lower the number of possibilities.

If we can have the collar removal one day, we NEED this for the Swimsuits and the bikinis that will arrive just after!  We can play in the water on Kerbin don't we ? :) 

you could give the collar a "lifebelt" texture :D

5631512-Red-and-white-life-belt-Stock-Photo-disaster-concept-life.jpg

Edited by Sigma88

:o great idea... one more thing I want ingame now :)

In fact I'm actually working again on the new states of the suits while trying to preserve the old 2 suit state system (like on the diagram drawing phase) and this could happen more sooner than later :)

We will have more control on the suits, I plan to make a fully automated mode that give you the proper suit (2 or 3 states)  (its already in the release) but this don't work with the old suit toggle button (as it change the suit in the update() )

So I plan to make a real manual mode better (or worse) in some way than TextureRepalcer. With this one, when you go out of you vehicle you have the proper suit (2 or 3 states) BUT it don't update it and it don't control if there is atmosphere or not (unlike TextureReplacer). This way you will be able to use a IVA suit without helmet in space or on planets. This will only work manually but you could use it with textures for Extra-kerbalians that could live in space without helmet (and collar).. or make funny pictures of Jeb, dead on a mun in swimsuit :) 

Well for the extrakerbalians species, It would require a special  automatic mode without atmosphere check.. which is also possible :)

I've heard of this idea of a new specie some years ago, I always though this was a great idea :)

Also, I discovered that female don't have tongues and the teeth are the same as the eyes (90% sure of this). Its not clear with default texture, but you can't miss it with my flashy guide textures :)

Edited by HaArLiNsH

Is there a way to deactivate (and reactivate) the Toggle button in the gui when we right click on the kerbal ?

This button is made by this in Personaliser.cs

[KSPEvent(guiActive = true, guiName = "Toggle EVA Suit")]
public void toggleEvaSuit()
	{
		all the toggleEvaSuit stuff
	}

I would like to be able to interact with the guiActive = true (I guess) but I don't understand how these KSPEvent works. The documentation is not really helpful on this subject :)

42 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

out of context, this would be really disturbing

I'm saying that this is what is used now in TRR and this is a TR legacy. They did that to fix problem with the female body apparently. You should find this in Personaliser.cs

EDIT: I'm surfing in the code and there is already a genderSuit somewhere. Well I'll investigate this as I did not found any name related in female suits when I added the EVA ground state.

EDIT2: found in the Default.cfg :

// Female suits. Directory names inside `Suits/`.
// The list must be space- and/or comma-separated and in one line.
// Duplicated lists are joined.
femaleSuits =

So my guess is that there is already a female suit, we just need to make the proper .cfg file and a second suit folder. But that mean the double of textures and we don't want that, 21 more is enough, 50ish is too much ,:)

I'll tweak this one way or another to compromise with the numbers of textures files needed. Maybe shaw as already think about that :) I'm still learning how all of this works.

Edited by HaArLiNsH

25 minutes ago, HaArLiNsH said:

I'm saying that this is what is used now in TRR and this is a TR legacy. They did that to fix problem with the female body apparently. You should find this in Personaliser.cs

I think you misunderstand. This is more along the lines of what I believe Sigma was referring to.

6ifxRZg.png

4 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I think you misunderstand. This is more along the lines of what I believe Sigma was referring to.

6ifxRZg.png

Ooh :) Well clearly not this :) 

I can have difficulties to find the good words in my mothertongue, so imagine in english :)

Edited by HaArLiNsH

5 hours ago, HaArLiNsH said:

Someone can help me on the name of this mod ?

Some general thoughts on the subject of reducing the number of individual textures needed for a full suit pack.

• Rather than have the entire texture replaced for every variant it would be nice to be able to specify a base texture and then apply "decals" to it (similar to flags on craft parts or the labels on some USI/WBI containers/parts but automatic based on trait/rank of kerbal)
  • Similarly take a look at what SSTU are doing with recolourable templates on tanks and other parts. Something like this (again automatically applied via a config) could be used to change blocks of colour for different traits.

Not sure how practical/difficult these would be although I imagine they would depend on being able to swap out the geometry of the Kerbal model. Although helmet replacement should at least be doable:

Spoiler

ddlHviG.jpg

5 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Some general thoughts on the subject of reducing the number of individual textures needed for a full suit pack.

• Rather than have the entire texture replaced for every variant it would be nice to be able to specify a base texture and then apply "decals" to it (similar to flags on craft parts or the labels on some USI/WBI containers/parts but automatic based on trait/rank of kerbal)
  • Similarly take a look at what SSTU are doing with recolourable templates on tanks and other parts. Something like this (again automatically applied via a config) could be used to change blocks of colour for different traits.

Not sure how practical/difficult these would be although I imagine they would depend on being able to swap out the geometry of the Kerbal model. Although helmet replacement should at least be doable:

Hide contents

ddlHviG.jpg

Thx for the name reminder! :)

This is a hundred time easier to draw a new texture than making a decals system. The decal would demand a texture file and the proper code but even that is not the real problem. If I make zones, it will limit the possibilities of what the modder can change with the levels..

As for the helmet (and maybe the jetpack) replacement, I saw this wearable mod some times ago and this should effectively be possible because the helmet and the jetpack are separate models from the body. 

Ultimately I would like to allow this kind of things but this is not on the priority list :)

Is there a way to extract the kerbals models (body, helmet, jetpack) ? If this was possible, we could edit the body itself (like for the collar removal)

2 hours ago, HaArLiNsH said:

Thx for the name reminder! :)

This is a hundred time easier to draw a new texture than making a decals system. The decal would demand a texture file and the proper code but even that is not the real problem. If I make zones, it will limit the possibilities of what the modder can change with the levels..

As for the helmet (and maybe the jetpack) replacement, I saw this wearable mod some times ago and this should effectively be possible because the helmet and the jetpack are separate models from the body. 

Ultimately I would like to allow this kind of things but this is not on the priority list :)

Is there a way to extract the kerbals models (body, helmet, jetpack) ? If this was possible, we could edit the body itself (like for the collar removal)

If you find a somewhere some code how to paint textures in untity, you could create a "decaled" texture with code and assing this to the kerbal. You will only need the decal texture and the points on the kerbal-texture where you want it (and some pre orientation & scaling values for the decal). 

It is possible to extract the models and the textures from the game, but it is highly illegal to distribute them, even providing this functionality as a mod is borderline legal. (at least in some parts of the world) 

OK, I will now keep my mouth closed, as I start talking about stuff I have no clue about and continue breaking my own mods :wink:

7 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

If you find a somewhere some code how to paint textures in untity, you could create a "decaled" texture with code and assing this to the kerbal. You will only need the decal texture and the points on the kerbal-texture where you want it (and some pre orientation & scaling values for the decal). 

It is possible to extract the models and the textures from the game, but it is highly illegal to distribute them, even providing this functionality as a mod is borderline legal. (at least in some parts of the world) 

OK, I will now keep my mouth closed, as I start talking about stuff I have no clue about and continue breaking my own mods :wink:

distribute the originals model is illegal of course, but what about a modified model based on the original ?

Like for example if I extract the model and use it as a base to transform the kerbal into a human (with hands, ears , and so on), or just to see how its done and build my own model from scratch or to properly remove this damn collar :)

We will surely need to also give proper credits but that's not something hard to do and I'm sure the "build from scratch" version is legal because this is what we already do with all the mods we have. 

I which we could paint zones directly on the model like we can do for the new pbr textures, but that's an entire new story :)

5 minutes ago, HaArLiNsH said:

distribute the originals model is illegal of course, but what about a modified model based on the original ?

this will be the same problem, as it is derivated work. You should ask squad about this first.

7 minutes ago, HaArLiNsH said:

or just to see how its done and build my own model from scratch or to properly remove this damn collar :)

I which we could paint zones directly on the model like we can do for the new pbr textures, but that's an entire new story :)

You could distrubute a  export mesh function within TRR, so everybody can extract the kerbals (and uv maps) and load them into a more advanged paint program (that is what I use for Kerbin-Side objects).

Building a new model might be ok, (even as someone with a really bad day might claim that they violate a design patent as they look similar, but Squad is not known for such a behaviour. ) These models would require a new texture map or you need to be really carefull to recreate the original UV layout. 

You will need to export the textures in a format, that KSP will load them. Metallic-roughness maps are currently not supported and the lighning might be wrong, because the U5 PBR shader might use a different lighting model. 

1 hour ago, Ger_space said:

this will be the same problem, as it is derivated work. You should ask squad about this first.

You could distrubute a  export mesh function within TRR, so everybody can extract the kerbals (and uv maps) and load them into a more advanged paint program (that is what I use for Kerbin-Side objects).

Building a new model might be ok, (even as someone with a really bad day might claim that they violate a design patent as they look similar, but Squad is not known for such a behaviour. ) These models would require a new texture map or you need to be really carefull to recreate the original UV layout. 

You will need to export the textures in a format, that KSP will load them. Metallic-roughness maps are currently not supported and the lighning might be wrong, because the U5 PBR shader might use a different lighting model. 

Ooh don't launch me on that, this might become crazy :) 

lets talk about mesh export when the first TRR transition is complete and my skills are up by at least 2 levels :)

please don't link yet your texture pack here :)

We are in the making of a new way to list and distribute them.

I don't want to have the same story as TR, where you need to search in the thread between discussion on the mod itself and the textures pack :)

Futures texture pack will also need a cfg file to use the new upcoming functionalities of TRR as I'm in the middle of a revamp of the suit system.

In the near future we will have more than the classical 2 states suit without females (the legacy TR suit pack) or my new 3 states suits. I can't tell you more right now as I'm actually working on it :) 

What I can tell you is that I plan to be able to mix different type of suit in the same game. So you would be able to have a suit with only 1 state (IVA for example) and also suit with several states in the same game.

This could be useful for military mods, or a future kerbal alien race or to use a specific suit for a kustom kerbal (if you want a Santa kerbal for example along your full 3 states suits with MKS support) 

Edited by HaArLiNsH

On 6/22/2017 at 6:52 AM, HaArLiNsH said:

I don't want to have the same story as TR, where you need to search in the thread between discussion on the mod itself and the textures pack

well, that really only became a problem when Shaw stopped keeping the extensive lists of packs in the OP updated. So hopefully the new way will allow people to share or pass on the update responsibilities or even just be an automated list people submit changes/additions to.

6 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

well, that really only became a problem when Shaw stopped keeping the extensive lists of packs in the OP updated. So hopefully the new way will allow people to share or pass on the update responsibilities or even just be an automated list people submit changes/additions to.

I'm looking to find an easy way (and hopefully automated) to find and share the textures pack. But I didn't really had the time to look into it.

First I  need to finish the TRR transition and then I'll have time to find the best way :)

4 hours ago, HaArLiNsH said:

I'm looking to find an easy way (and hopefully automated) to find and share the textures pack. But I didn't really had the time to look into it.

First I  need to finish the TRR transition and then I'll have time to find the best way :)

The Kopernicus thread doesn't link any planet packs, honestly I don't see why TR should.

We have  forum apposetely created to share mods, enyone who wants to share their work just needs to create a new thread

2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

The Kopernicus thread doesn't link any planet packs, honestly I don't see why TR should.

We have  forum apposetely created to share mods, enyone who wants to share their work just needs to create a new thread

That was my first idea coupled with the texture pack removal from the TRR folder. If you make a texture pack, you make a thread, so the creator can handle the requests and so on on his own thread.

And texture pack creator will have to follow a guideline for the name on CKAN (like the missions pack does), something like TRR : head : MysuperTexturePack  or TRR : suit : MyPack       

Its not yet written in stone, first I need to succeed the TRR transition :)

What does this mean?
[TR.Reflections] Shader "Reflective/Bumped Diffuse" missing
[TR.TextureReplacer] Error: Shader not found: Reflective/Bumped Diffuse

Is it with pods that just don't have needed modules?

Is TRR and JSI transparent pods not enough to be installed?

Edited by Gordon Dry

8 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

What does this mean?
[TR.Reflections] Shader "Reflective/Bumped Diffuse" missing
[TR.TextureReplacer] Error: Shader not found: Reflective/Bumped Diffuse

Is is with pods that just don't have needed modules?

Is TRR and JSI transparent pods not enough to be installed?

The config of the JSI pods needs some adjustments. 

The Shader that should be used is named "ShaderNG/TR_Reflective_Emissive_Alpha"

Has the location for the skybox textures (Galaxy_Tex_xxxxx) been changes with TR becoming TRR?

I copied over the six PNG's for the skybox to the TextureReplacerReplaced\Default folder but I get the stock skybox instead of the one I'd expect to see.

Thanks to those involved in getting this updated to 1.3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.