What Have You Done In real-life, Space related?

Vinhero100

My job.

U1PrGZG.jpg

Edit:
When this collects enough likes, I'm going to replace it with a description of how I tour elementary schools and teach children that the moon landings never happened.
It will confuse people in the future, which amuses me. :)

Edited by razark

I've build a lot of Bottle Rockets. Serious Bottle Rockets with a parachute and everything. They fly well over 100 Meters. My launchpad features a blast shield as well as a launch abort valve.

I have to start doing this again.

Seen the Aurora Borealis a few times, full-color ones when I lived in Ft St John. Ok, that's more of an atmosphere-top phenomena. I've seen Jupiter and some moons through a little amateur telescope, hard to keep it in view since the Earth turns so fast! Also spied the ISS with a Dragon chaser with the Mk 1 eyeball. Many, many meteors over the years too.

More recently, just saw Endeavour on display at the California Science Center

20 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

More recently, just saw Endeavour on display at the California Science Center

I think its

Atlantis is in Florida

Endeavour is in California apparently

OH!!! Discovery! I saw Discovery at the museum near Dulles Intr. Airport

I've seen both Discovery, and Atlantis

at some point I want to see all of them

Edited by StupidAndy

Not recently, but I've visited the Goddard Space center a number of times and visited the Enterprise at the Intrepid Air Sea Space museum in NY.

Edited by qzgy

I worked on some software for a satellite dedicated to looking for Gamma Ray Bursts while I was in college.  Unfortunately, the technology was quickly superseded by efforts elsewhere, and it was never launched.

I'm a volunteer educator for JPL.  (They let me talk to folks on space teams, and I take what I learn to museums, schools, libraries, or anywhere they'll let me talk about space.)

Beyond that, the usual tourist-y stuff -- I've been to the Cape and the NASM and a handful of smaller museums with space artifacts, met Story Musgrave and Christina Koch and a few people working on various probes, and have a reasonably impressive library of technical aerospace materials and astronaut biographies.

I have a 10in Newtonian reflector, a 4.5 inch reflector, and a broken 90mm refractor. I have been to cape canaveral. Launched some small rockets. The largest using a c class motor. I have seen some meteors. I have not and I don't have any plans to go to a space camp.

On 6/11/2017 at 7:20 PM, Physics Student said:

I've build a lot of Bottle Rockets. Serious Bottle Rockets with a parachute and everything. They fly well over 100 Meters. My launchpad features a blast shield as well as a launch abort valve.

I have to start doing this again.

omg! what is your fuel?

10 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Saw Curiosity flying to its final resting place in the CSC on the back of a 747

When I was growing up, I had to learn the shuttles by Orbiter Vehicle number, because my father, being a NASA engineer, didn't know the shuttles by name.

Edit:
I've seen Mir, ISS, several shuttles, and quite a few satellites from the ground.  Of course, they look like bright points of light passing overhead.

But sometimes, it can be amusing to watch the point pass over someone's head...

Edited by razark

I met Helen Kerman Sharman, first British Astronaut at a presentation at a local school, after her first mission. In the Q&A, I asked why the space shuttle used both solid and liquid fueled engines, I cant remember what her answer was though.

Lets see, I've visited the Space Shuttle Enterprise at the USS Intrepid museum in NYC, my dad has done some work on solid propellants and I've seen a couple of really bright bolides - and there is a famous meteor shower on my birthday every year (Im special!) - The Perseids, with the peak occurring on my birthday more often than not. I have visited the CN Tower in Montreal, Canada, at the time they had a "ride" (one of those motion-chair type deals) which took you on a tour of the solar system and I was absolutely convinced that we went to space that day (Come on, that mast on the top really looks like a space rocket! And I was 4.)

Oh and I've sat on Captain Kirk's actual seat when they had the set displayed at the National Science Museum in London.

Edited by p1t1o

I've made many a rocket myself, just bottle rockets, I used the classic Sugar SRB'S and on one occasion I made and installed a HRM (Hybrid Rocket Motor) and holy crap you could hear it for at least two miles, I launched it in a field, I even named it too, the "TTN "Voyage" HRM" sadly is gone now, it was destroyed in the same flight, the SRB'S melted into the aluminum rocket and got so hot the oxygen canister blew up, destroying everything to do with the rocket, I have still got the nosecone somewhere though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.