What Have You Done In real-life, Space related?

Vinhero100

On 6/10/2017 at 8:42 PM, StupidAndy said:

I saw a meteor a few days ago

and I also went to Cape Canaveral

and...that's all

I saw STS-131 go up...LIVE at Cape Canaveral!

On 6/11/2017 at 10:02 PM, StupidAndy said:

I think its

Atlantis is in Florida

Endeavour is in California apparently

OH!!! Discovery! I saw Discovery at the museum near Dulles Intr. Airport

I've seen both Discovery, and Atlantis

at some point I want to see all of them

I want to see them all too. So far I've seen Discovery and Enterprise. Sometime in 2017 or 2018, I hope to visit Atlantis and I'll make sure to let you guys folks wonderful people know when I do.

Endeavor's my favorite by a long shot, but It'll probably be a while since I live in Indiana.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

I often frequent the Kansas Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Kansas, home to Apollo 13 "Odyssey" and Liberty Bell 7 after it was recovered and restored.

I have also toured Both Cape Canaveral and the Johnson Space Center. 

Also one of my high school science teachers was a pupil of James Van Allen.  

44 minutes ago, Jeb1969 said:

I have also toured... Johnson Space Center.

Did you just visit the tourist trap Visitor Center, or did you take the tram tour?

I'm curious as to how that is.  The only part I hear is when they're passing my building.  The two parts I can remember are a recording of Gene Kranz talking about Mission Control and some blurb about food preparation.  I really need to go do it one day, just to see what it's like.

33 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

I have seen one shuttle launch.

I missed the chance I had to see one.  My father got tickets for a bunch of family shortly before he retired.  There were plans for a bunch of us to meet up in Florida for the launch.

And then they had to roll it back to the VAB due to hail damage to the ET, and the plans all fell apart.

I did get to see a shuttle rollout from the VAB, and a satellite launch from a nearby beach.  That would have been in '92.

Geez, I forget how much I've done.  I've visited areas of JSC that the tourists don't get to see.  I got to play with the shuttle mockup the astronauts used for training.  I remember when the visitor center was on site, and anyone could just drive through the gates.  When I was in elementary school, I recall a number of fire drills called on account of the shuttle passing by on the SCA.  Met quite a few astronauts.  I know of four or five items we had in the house that had been in space.

I've even watched an eight-year-old try to teach a retired NASA engineer how to play KSP.

Edited by razark

I have got a Signature of Andre Kuipers, a Dutch astronaut

aAHjzM9.jpg

He asked me what i liked about his lecture about life in space and i just said "everything" because i had feelings for the people waiting in line for a sig too.

I also saw the Soyuz from Expedition 30-31 in a museum. 

And i sometimes look through my telescope at the Moon.

Thats all, i wish i lived closer to a launch site. I would love to go to Kennedy Space Centre, or maybe even Baikunur, but that is thousands of kilometers away so not now at least.

• 4 weeks later...

I have

• seen jupiter through 70mm refactor
  • seen saturn-same thing
  • launched model rockets
  • watched rockets launched from wallops flight facility (and seen one explode)
  • story musgrave`s autograph 
  • watched the last sts landing on TV
  • and finally, seen curiosity`s landing on TV (at 3 in the morning!)

2 hours ago, V7 Aerospace said:

I mean, I look at the Moon sometimes.

Sucks though, I'm short-sighted, but not enough to warrant glasses. So, instead of the Moon, I see a bright blur with some patchy grey spots...

You could use a pinhole as a lens, either with your fingers or by using some paper or something. 

While I saw STS 114 launch (not at the cape itself, but from my hotel at Disney World) probably the most interesting thing I did was watch Enterprise fly around New York.

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

I had gone to a NYC area airplane fan group site and they had a pleminary flight plan for OV-101's laps around the city. We went to a specific spot we knew of that was wide and unobstructed, a Home Depot parking lot. We were expecting it to swing past LaGuardia Airport over Flushing Bay and we'd get some nice shots from the side. No, instead we hear a yell and suddenly see it not only behind us, but heading right towards us!

and then a few weeks later I watched them carry the shuttle up the Hudson on a barge. 

No automatic alt text available.

My late father, on the other hand...

after retiring from the NYPD, he became a security supervisor at the Empire State Building and when a VIP came to visit, gave them the grand tour. One of these guests...

Astronaut Mark Kelly (at least I think it was Mark. 99.5% he said his guest was the one married to the Congresswoman...) He sent us some pins as a thank you. One of a mssion patch for a flight he went on, one for one of Scott's flights and a generic shuttle pin. (I had to look up which twin was which to type this. I suck at dealing twins. I went to school with a pair of twins for 9 years and I could never remember which was which.)

• 2 weeks later...

I own a little telescope that I use to sometimes make observations of the Moon. I usually don't because I live in a town, so the light pollution means I don't get to see much else. I did sign up as a member of Asgardia, but other than that not too much real-life stuff beyond teaching concepts and discussing space science with other like-minded people.

Well, I've seen all the (extant) Shuttle orbiters: Enterprise and Discovery at Udvar-Hazy, Atlantis on the pad (before STS-122) and Endeavour going up (on STS-123). Up until a year or so ago I could only count Discovery by virtue of having watched it go overhead one time on its way to the ISS, but now that it's in a museum I finally got to see it "properly."

I've also watched a few Minotaur launches from Wallops, the one I'm most pleased with myself for being the LADEE Moon probe on the first (and so far only) flight of the Minotaur V. I mean, it didn't really look much different to other launches, but how often in this day and age do you get to see an actual moon rocket go up?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.