DMP dogfights in space?

xendelaar

I've never played the game with the  DMP mod so please forgive me if I'm way off here...

I've been looking at several you tube videos from people using dmp and i never find any cool dogfight scenes, which would in mho be one of the great things to experience while using this mod.

also, i can tell that dmp can be rather laggy and shaky while planes are in the atmosphere. so that could explain why dogfights a no go  with the current version of the mod.

I've heard that in orbit, the movement of ships is less laggy and shaky with DMP. 

so wouldn't it be possible to perform  enjoyable lagless dogfights in space? 

the dynamics and fighting mechanics would probably be pretty different from a dogfight in atmosphere but i guess it could be fun? right?

has anybody tried this before? 

Hi as it stands today BDArmory which is currently the only mod supplying weapon code is not in any way suitable or likely to give good results in space. The reasons for this are simple, BDA's whole code is geared to work in an atmosphere, even the bullets have drag calculated. in space no drag no good.  There at least a dozen other problems but right now the real big one is that DMP is not very well set up for combat.

There are some moves toward  multiplayer BDA though it's favored platform would be LMP as thats seen by many to have a stronger potential for dealing with a multiplayer combat scenario in any environment. 

This will not fix the space based issues of BDA and in reality  making it work properly would take a whole new mods worth of code, not just a few lines, think the love child of BDA KER and MechJeb and you'll be going the right way for levels of complexity

Basically, it's impossible. The way DMP does multiplayer is it collects data sent from everyone's else's computers, and creates craft at the right positions and right state as the "real" craft. Unfortunately however, it dosent send uptdated information back, and therefor all damage is only rendered client side.

It's incredibly laggy and sometimes will duplicate ships without any reason.  I tried this, believe me, my friend and I took two space frigates and shot stock missiles at each other.  I never saw the missile being fired, possibly because of my shaky camera but probably because I was lagging very hard.  In the end, I was shot up by a missile that was never rendered on my end, against an enemy that was duplicated.  Very unsatisfying, what I would like to see is a larger server dedicated to being able to work together in the same draw area, not just "oh you can build two space stations" kind of thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.