[1.3.1] [EN | ES | DE] Action Group Manager Continued

Alshain

• 2 weeks later...

Great mod, but there is a bug where it flips the in-game locale.

I have specifically tested removing and re-adding AGM and issue immediately gone.

The client is Linux x64 ru_RU from GOG.

iAc806Q.png

Thanks

Edited by Kerbal101

2 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

Great mod, but there is a bug where it flips the in-game locale.

I have specifically tested removing and re-adding AGM and issue immediately gone.

The client is Linux x64 ru_RU from GOG.

iAc806Q.png

Thanks

Yes, the debug flag was left on in that release.  I've got a new version that is nearly complete but I haven't had time to work on it in the last couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2017 at 7:53 PM, Alshain said:

A little of both.  I am unwilling to mess with it because I can not predict what it is doing. I don't have time to mess with it either (I just started a new job so I don't have a lot of time for much of anything).

If you encounter problems with the mod (installation or otherwise) and it's not easily reproducible, I simply can't help you until you install it using my installation and reproduce the problem.  This is because I can not rule out the possibility that the problem is CKAN

I've only even used CKAN once, and when it failed to install the latest version of one of my mods and caused issues, never again.  I do have support for KSP-AVC though, and MiniAVC is included to let you know when there are updates.

@Alshain

I need a definite "yes" to be able to get this added/updated in CKAN, please.

It's a great mod, would be nice to have it available for CKAN users again.

Thanks

I added a German translation for this awesome mod! Keep in mind that this translation will remain inaccessible to the end user until squad gets around to adding German as an officially supported language - something they've just recently confirmed.

The corresponding pull request is already up on GitHub. :)

2 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

I added a German translation for this awesome mod! Keep in mind that this translation will remain inaccessible to the end user until squad gets around to adding German as an officially supported language - something they've just recently confirmed.

The corresponding pull request is already up on GitHub. :)

Thank you very much.  I've merged your pull request.  I'm probably not going to have another 1.3.0 release unless I do a beta anyway, so hopefully official support will be ready on the next release. (Though in all likelihood the 1.3.1 release will work with 1.3.0).  In the meantime, here is a preview of your handiwork (Note: In-game elements are translated by the game which is why they are in English)

YtoQ81c.png

fMp4kvI.png

@Alshain Do you mind sharing the plugin you've used to set the language to German? I could really use it for debugging purposes. I have found a guide that tells me how to compile a small *.dll but I don't have a c# ide sitting around currently and it'll take me a long time to fiddle around just for a few lines of code. I'd be so happy if you could help. :)

@Three_Pounds It's just a one liner I put in the Awake of AGM for testing and I think it only applies the the assembly its set in.  I can check when I get home this evening though.

KSP.Localization.Localizer.SwitchToLanguage("de-de");

If it works for all assemblies I'll make a little modlet tonight.
Edited by Alshain

- Version 2.2 Released -

Special thanks to @Three_Pounds for creating a German localization library, which is included but unfortunately not very usable until KSP 1.3.1.  Also, thanks to @fitiales for updating the Spanish localization library for the new game parameters screen.

* Fixed debug flag left on disabling localization
* Fixed null reference when removing an action using the buttons in the right hand scroll list.
* Fixed Classic View & Text Button options no longer require return to Space Center.
* Moved the Main UI and Tweakable (Lite) UI into separate and independent libraries.
* Moved all settings to KSP's Game Difficulty Screen (GameParameters). Settings are now per-save game.
* Moved version number to main window.
* Add Highlight Color settings.
* Add Debug Logging settings.
* Add Right click main button to open Action Group List option (default: on).
* Add support for Icon buttons in Classic View.
* Changed Remove All warning color to gold
* Removed Action Group List button from main window.
* Removed redundant close buttons on windows.
* Removed excess padding on icon buttons reduced size slightly.
* Removed excess padding on part list buttons and removed "normal" image.
* Increased the part name characters from 32 to 40 before the font is downsized.
* Improved code maintainability, readability, and documentation.
* Reduced cyclomatic complexity.

Edited by Alshain

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Alshain, it looks like you put a lot of work into this! Sorry to have to bring this to your attention, but if I understand the OP correctly, you are bundling two mods that conflict with the MIT license you have chosen for yours.

• Toolbar Continued is BSD 2-clause, which is slightly more restrictive than MIT;
  • MiniAVC is GPLv3 - this license requires that any software that includes it must have the same license.

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me that you can change your license to GPLv3 and fix the above problems. If you would prefer not to do that, you unfortunately cannot bundle those mods with MIT.

I hate license mess like this, sorry :(

(Helpful link)

2 hours ago, Deddly said:

Hi @Alshain, it looks like you put a lot of work into this! Sorry to have to bring this to your attention, but if I understand the OP correctly, you are bundling two mods that conflict with the MIT license you have chosen for yours.

• Toolbar Continued is BSD 2-clause, which is slightly more restrictive than MIT;
  • MiniAVC is GPLv3 - this license requires that any software that includes it must have the same license.

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me that you can change your license to GPLv3 and fix the above problems. If you would prefer not to do that, you unfortunately cannot bundle those mods with MIT.

(Helpful link)

I'm not a lawyer, but from my understanding you should be able to bundle several separate pieces of software together even if they have different licenses, as long as you comply with each license and they are separate pieces bundled together, not one piece of software.  (Also, I don't see any of Toolbar Continued actually in the package - though oddly the package *does* contain the license information for it.)

3 hours ago, Deddly said:

(Helpful link)

BSD-2 Clause is compatible with MIT and thus should be safe.  In fact the only restriction that applies is that it retains the copyright notice, which it does here, and here.

Including and modifying source from a GPLv3 project would certainly break the license, however distribution of GPLv3 libraries would not.  Since AGM does not include MiniAVC source, only unaltered binaries are included with the distribution, the license is still properly honored as long as I follow the other rules, such as including the license, and include instructions on how to obtain the original.

Bear in mind, the authors of both these tools wrote them with the expressed intent for users to include them with their mod.  They wouldn't (and didn't) put a license on them that would prohibit that :D

Regarding updates: I was planning to work on it this weekend... and on the way home, my alternator died.  So that's gotta get replaced this weekend, and I'm working a new job which takes up all my time so bear with me.  I'll try and get it done as soon as I can.

@Alshain GPL requires derivative work to be licensed under same license, this includes both runtime and static linking/load of a library. Its LGPL that removes this requirement from runtime dependency.

As I see it there are several options:
- to dual-license your work under GPL/MIT, but instruct the users that to comply with MIT, that library must be removed from distribution.
- to contact the author of GPL licensed library and ask for LGPL relicensing.
- to not ship the GPL licensed library as part of the package, optional run-time dependence is okay if users do it from their side. GPL terms will apply to the one installing and running it in that configuration.

Best regards :)

37 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

@Alshain GPL requires derivative work to be licensed under same license, this includes both runtime and static linking/load of a library. Its LGPL that removes this requirement from runtime dependency.

As I see it there are several options:
- to dual-license your work under GPL/MIT, but instruct the users that to comply with MIT, that library must be removed from distribution.
- to contact the author of GPL licensed library and ask for LGPL relicensing.
- to not ship the GPL licensed library as part of the package, optional run-time dependence is okay if users do it from their side. GPL terms will apply to the one installing and running it in that configuration.

Best regards :)

Well, anyway.  There is a 4th option.  As the copyright holder he can give written permission to circumvent a part of his license.  So all I need to do is get written permission from Cybutek to include it my package....

http://ksp.cybutek.net/miniavc/Documents/README.htm

" Bundle the MiniAVC.dll file into your packaged add-on directory along with your version file. "

Done.

1 hour ago, Kerbal101 said:

As this doesn't link against MiniAVC in any way, and in fact runs completely fine without it, I'd hesitate to call this a 'derivative work'.  They just happen to be shipped together.

That is correct, AGM does not actually interface with the MiniAVC DLL, it is a standalone mod included in the package.  Also, I just want to point out there are ~450 mods that use it (and that's just the ones using Cybutek's service, you can host the version file anywhere) and I doubt half of them are GPL.  I'm not sure why this is an issue in my mod, this whole conversation seems a bit silly.

Edited by Alshain

8 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

GPL requires derivative work to be licensed under same license, this includes both runtime and static linking/load of a library.

There's no linking of any kind involved here, just redistribution. So long as the redistributed copy of AVC meets the licence requirements, no problem.

3 hours ago, Alshain said:

this whole conversation seems a bit silly.

This whole conversation is a pointless distraction.

Back to the topic at hand:

14 hours ago, ksp_circles said:

Curious as to any ETA for an update to work with 1.3.1. Thanks... this mod fills a critical need.

This appears to work just fine with a plain old recompile. I'm sure Alshain will get onto it shortly, or if you're super impatient it's easy to do yourself.

• 1 month later...
On 13/10/2017 at 12:37 AM, Alshain said:

Including and modifying source from a GPLv3 project would certainly break the license, however distribution of GPLv3 libraries would not. 

Thanks for your explanation and patience. It turns out to be a massive legal grey area because of the difficulty defining what is merely distributing something and what is incorporating it into your program. Since opinions differ on what is actually required, we have updated the add-on posting rules (1.1) to reflect our new policy regarding this specific issue. Summary: we won't police it unless the current maintainer of the dependency objects. But the responsibility is on the modder for making sure it's all legally above board.

By the way, this looks like a really nice mod. I might have to give it a go at some point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.