RSS Challenge: SSTO Horizontal Takeoff

For a long time in Kerbal Space Program, I have been wondering, is it possible to get into orbit in an SSTO in Real Solar System? I have done it myself with some certain mods, and I think that it is possible, but just barely.

RULES:

No Alt+F12, No Hyperedit, No editing the Save file

Vacuum TWR cannot be greater than 0.8 for all possible engine combinations. (I want you to use Jet engines to get into space)

Must Have Apoapsis and Periapsis above 140Km.

Solid Rocket Boosters are allowed, but only to get you off the launchpad

You may also have up to six radially detachable fuel tanks, but they must be decoupled before leaving the atmosphere.

Proof that it is possible to get into Space in RSS with a plane SSTO:

Edit: I actually have made it into orbit before with this, I just had some problems with it this time around.

SCORING:

500 Points - Getting Into Orbit

300 Points - Bringing a Payload Into Orbit which weighs more than 1/3 Ton

500 Points - Bringing a Kerbal Into Orbit

-400 Points - Dropped any parts over the course of the mission (An SSTO should not have any staging)

200 Points - Landing again

+100 Points - Landed within 100 Km. of KSC

+500 Points - Landed on Runway

500 Points - Getting into "High" Orbit

400 Points - Flyby of moon

1000 Points - Landing on moon

+600 Points - Returning From Moon

+700 Points - Planting Flag on Moon

300 Points - Escaping Kerbin's SOI

1000 Points - Per other Planet's Soi Entered

2000 Points Landing on another Planet

+1000 Points Returning from another Planet

400 Points - Using Realism Overhaul Parts (The whole package including limited Ignitions)

601 Points - Using FAR (Aerodynamic failures are a hard workaround)

1000 Points - Using Stock Balanced Parts

2500 Points - Not having any mods except RSS

If you do anything else that I consider point worthy on your mission, I will give you a variable amount of points based on how hard what you did was.

HIGH SCORE BOARD:

Me: 100 points

MODS ALLOWED:

RSS or any other planet packs that add to RSS (Duh)

Realism Overhaul and all parts that come with it (Don't use it with other part mods though)

Instell Incorporated Experimental Technologies

B9 Aerospace

Firespitter (Like you'd Need it)

Mech Jeb or Kerbal Engineer (Flight Guidance is allowed on Mech Jeb)

Venn's Stock Revamp

Tweak Scale

RLA Continued

Raster Prop Monitor (Used For Iva Runs)

KW Rocketry

All Near Future Mods

Ferram Aerospace Research

Any other Part mod that is Stock balanced, and doesn't add any engines or fuel tanks that are more efficient than already existing parts.

NOTICE:

If you think any of the Rules should be changed, or that a new mod should be added to the list post it with your reply.

Edited by rohanguard1
Balanced some of the point values

3 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

If you have done it yourself, you have to post your work on this thread. Please read the regulations on how to post challenges in this forum.

I do? I'll add it tomorrrow, I don't have the time Today.

9 hours ago, Physics Student said:

The scoring is funny. Every score and therefore the result is divisible by 100, so why not divide everything by 100?

It is a common practice to multiply scores by 100. Would you rather have a score of 2,300 or a score of 23? The higher number sounds better, and that is why I chose this scoring method.

Just now, regex said:

You could just multiply the end score by a set amount for impressiveness, maybe like by 10,000 or even ... ONE MILLION!?

I think that 1 million is a little ridiculous though. However If you really think that I should just divide my scoring system by 100, I'm fine with dividing your score by 100.

You technically shouldn't be on your own leaderboard because the example craft isn't a Single Stage To Orbit; you're not only using RATO but also drop tanks. Do you instead mean "spaceplane"? Because that would be a lot easier, making something like a horizontal take-off shuttle system.

Also, using FAR for this challenge increases the difficulty immensely, that should probably warrant some extra points.

24 minutes ago, regex said:

You technically shouldn't be on your own leaderboard because the example craft isn't a Single Stage To Orbit; you're not only using RATO but also drop tanks. Do you instead mean "spaceplane"? Because that would be a lot easier, making something like a horizontal take-off shuttle system.

Also, using FAR for this challenge increases the difficulty immensely, that should probably warrant some extra points.

I know that. I intentionally gave myself a very low score. I will add a few more point values for those sorts of things.

1 minute ago, rohanguard1 said:

I know that. I intentionally gave myself a very low score.

Well then you may want to change the title of the challenge because your rules do not stipulate a "single stage to orbit", having "SSTO" there is quite confusing.

1 minute ago, regex said:

Well then you may want to change the title of the challenge because your rules do not stipulate a "single stage to orbit", having "SSTO" there is quite confusing.

Good point. I will make it so points are subtracted if it isn't 100% SSTO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.