Bit coin mining/Video card availability.(sillyness)

Arugela

This is not about finding cards for mining. I'm just noting how silly it's getting

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=rx 570&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

Even the expensive cpu, mobo, vidcard combo's with heavier ryzon CPU's and a single card/mobo(with 6 slots) are all selling out. They cost 800-1k each. I'm assuming this is also the same reason as the lack of video card atm?! 8) Or are they out of stock because the cards aren't available for the combo?

Although the GPU + CPU combos are there and for things like the 570 which is normally sold out... If only I needed to update my GPU and CPU. A part would actually be available!

I guess if you need to get a new GPU you might be able to get it with a CPU if it's convenient. I'm not sure what that means cost per part though. Are they still prices like they should be. Or have they just not been bought up yet?

Nope!

479-239=240. That makes the RX570 still the price of a medium prices RX580.

Edited by Arugela

Everyone is saying there is an exception because of etherium coin. That is supposedly why all the AMD video cards are out of stock everywhere and going for up to 6x their normal prices on ebay. And the nvidia ones might be going next.

Unless everyone saying that is mistaken of course.

Edited by Arugela

People are wondering if the currency will crash before then. Aren't they supposedly implementing a different form of payment that work differently. I've seen people say it may have problems when all the "whales" dump stuff for some yearly dump to not have to pay income tax via the governments rules. Apparently if they hold for one year the government drops income tax requirement and only makes you pay capitol gains or something(I assume to help make the coins more stable). Someone said they will all dump in june or july for their yearly cash in and it may mess up the currency and wondered if it would kill the coin just as everyone is buying expensive rigs to mine it.

I don't anything about though. So, this is all hearsay.

I saw a youtube video of a guy who's freind got a 24xRX580 rig and it pays off in 5-6 months.

I was looking at video card prices the day before and thought, wow that 200$ RX580 sure looks nice. Saw a thread the next day about the etherium mining and.... 8\

Edited by Arugela

6 minutes ago, Arugela said:

Everyone is saying there is an exception because of etherium coin. That is supposedly why all the AMD video cards are out of stock everywhere and going for up to 6x their normal prices on ebay. And the nvidia ones might be going next.

Unless everyone saying that is mistaken of course.

Ah I was assuming we were strictly talking about bitcoin.

It is still profitable to mine for other coins on GPUs from what I've heard, though I haven't heard about that particular one (etherium).  I'd wonder how long it'll stay like that though.  The specialized systems can't be far behind if the coin gains any kind of traction in the way bitcoin has.

3 minutes ago, Arugela said:

People are wondering if the currency will crash before then. Aren't they supposedly implementing a different form of payment that work differently. I've seen people say it may have problems when all the "whales" dump stuff for some yearly dump to not have to pay income tax via the governments rules. Apparently if they hold for one year the government drops income tax requirement and only makes you pay capitol gains or something(I assume to help make the coins more stable). Someone said they will all dump in june or july for their yearly cash in and it may mess up the currency and wondered if it would kill the coin just as everyone is buying expensive rigs to mine it.

I don't anything about though. So, this is all hearsay.

In some senses until there's a paper trail it's hard to prove there's anything to tax whichever way you want to classify it.  There'd be more incentive to keep the investment in the coin unless you were worried about the volitility of the currency.  I'd be skeptical about any predictions that anyone makes though.

19 minutes ago, tater said:

There is a guy here in ABQ who is a friend of a friend who sells rigs on eBay---they run several thousand $ (7+ GPUs). He said the GPUS can pay for themselves inside ~100 days.

He and others like him are probably the only ones making consistent cash out of cryptocurrency.  When there's a gold-rush, sell shovels.

It should be funny to see how much of the desktop gaming GPU's vanish over the next few weeks. I get the feeling those nice 189$ 1060's aren't going to be around long either.

Edited by Arugela

it should be not less funny if 3d engines need moar and moar resources because 90% of it they spend on secret mining. And internet connection is required to send blocks.
(Just a joke, don't be confused.)

Also dunno why governments don't allocate a several GW powerplant, buy a fabric of GPUs (or ASICs) and mine out all remaining blocks.

The situation is that a new type of blockchain-based currency named Etherium is exploding in popularity. Etherium is similar in a lot of respects to Bitcoin but has a lot of other capabilities like the ability to sign contracts and form organisations using blockchain-based technology. Etherium mining tends to be limited by the available memory bandwidth on the mining computer, which means that GPUs made by AMD based on the Polaris architecture are the best available systems for mining Etherium.

15 minutes ago, robopilot99 said:

The situation is that a new type of blockchain-based currency named Etherium is exploding in popularity. Etherium is similar in a lot of respects to Bitcoin but has a lot of other capabilities like the ability to sign contracts and form organisations using blockchain-based technology. Etherium mining tends to be limited by the available memory bandwidth on the mining computer, which means that GPUs made by AMD based on the Polaris architecture are the best available systems for mining Etherium.

I was just reading up on the whole Etherium/DAO saga. The world is starting to sound more like a William Gibson novel every day.

7 hours ago, pxi said:

Ah I was assuming we were strictly talking about bitcoin.

It is still profitable to mine for other coins on GPUs from what I've heard, though I haven't heard about that particular one (etherium).  I'd wonder how long it'll stay like that though.  The specialized systems can't be far behind if the coin gains any kind of traction in the way bitcoin has.

In some senses until there's a paper trail it's hard to prove there's anything to tax whichever way you want to classify it.  There'd be more incentive to keep the investment in the coin unless you were worried about the volitility of the currency.  I'd be skeptical about any predictions that anyone makes though.

with bitcoin the fpga miner came in after gpu mining. and once you have the verilog code for a feasable hash processor design its only about $2million to have an asic made. bitcoin asics were pretty much crowdfunded overnight. its only a matter of time. another "gold" rush.

Edited by Nuke

Just in case anyone wants the last 1060 that will be left in the whole world to buy: http://www.amazon.in/PNY-GeForce-1060-Video-Graphics/dp/B01L9K8X26

I'm assuming this is for 100 at once though.... Or is it really prices wrong? Maybe someone was hoping ole money bags bill gates would personally take the bite and buy one.

Spoiler

Edit: Nvm, it's in rupees! >< That is still 567 U.S dollars...

Are they actually coming out with Nvidia and AMD crypto cards like I've read?

Edited by Arugela

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.