KSP Challenge: All praise Cthulhu!

Darth Badie

YkxjA2ujYofb7Ka3N0T_aUfJ7nMlg6nQQsMD9mAB

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: “All praise Cthulhu!”

Make an offering for the dark cosmic entity and bring it to the dead Kraken in Bop. Be creative and take some screenshots of your offering being placed in front of this good ol' easter egg.

Rules:

• You need to build your offering at the VAB in Kerbin and send it to the Joolian moon Bop.
  • You can't use mods like: Extraplanetary Launchpads v5.8.0 or any similar

We have a very special badge for this Challenge :wink: 

Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

Wait... I've already done this!  More or less... over a year ago!

Before I started writing Emiko Station... Jeb, Val, Bob and Bill visited the Dead Kraken, and Val left an offering planted in it's eyeball!!!  lol  :D

a6UfAMK.png

FWNbZsa.png

7KwdcUt.png

OHlIsV0.png

Not sure if this counts... and I think I'll do it again, just for the fun of it... but there's my first submission.

Let's see If I can pull this off

Teaser:

ILq2s3C.png

Edit: I'm just doing my Jool transfer. The engine Trust ist set so low, they consume as much fuel as the mining rig produces. I estimated this to take 10 hours at 4x time acceleration ... so: I better do burns at full thrust and refuel by doing faster time warps. The overall time for this maneuver will still be about 40h.

I should have used chemical engines. The asteroid won't have lost enough mass for my vessel to safely land it. Let's try anyhow.

Edited by Physics Student

52 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

Let's see If I can pull this off

Teaser:

pvDBMut.png

Edit: I'm just doing my Jool transfer. The engine Trust ist set so low, they consume as much fuel as the mining rig produces. I estimated this to take 10 hours at 4x time acceleration ... so: I better do burns at full thrust and refuel by doing faster time warps. The overall time for this maneuver will still be about 40h.

My only idea for originality was to bring an asteroid as an offering. Guess it wasn't so original. Back to the VAB.

I DID IT YEAH!

tJKD8wK.png

Touch down after a nerve-wrenching descent. The vehicle was nearly uncontrollable. TWR was low, even on Bob.

JOvX0To.png

p3uum1U.png

D8EU9ro.png

This mission was very tense. I'm so happy this worked out.

The Asteroid is a Class E, and it has 52% out of its initial 80% of resources left. The overall mass dropped from 1720 t to 810 t.

Landing distance: 530 m

The journey from somewhere between Kerbin and Eve (where I picked this bad boy up) and a polar orbit aroun Bob wasn't all too exciting. I mined the asteroid and did many many 10 minute burns of around 500 m/s before mining again. the transfer was very inefficient (Hohman-transfer to a jool-similar orbit => low energy jool encounter => rendezvous with Bob)

The landing was tense and I feared to fail here (the final TWR on BOB was 1.5 at maximum (more throttle caused the vessel to start spinning, despite RCS and my best efforts to target the COM) and the vessel was so sluggish, it took about 2 minutes to orient itself (again: with RCS on). Because the asteroid was lighter, delta v (now around 700 m/s) wasn't an issue.

Full album:

Edited by Physics Student

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.